iPhone Case

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

iPhone Case

Post by General Disarray » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Just bought my first iPhone (5S) and am searching for a case for it. Wondered if Bogleheads had any recommendations--basic shell case, flip case, folio. Do the flip cases and folios offer more protection? I'm leaning towards a leather vertical flip case myself, but am open to any suggestions. I do not want a case with any of the extras (for instance, credit card pockets, etc.), as the case will not double as a wallet. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

FRANK2009

Re: iPhone Case

Post by FRANK2009 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Try monoprice.com. I bought a case for my 4S. It is perfectly adequate and about $10.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:05 pm

We went with the Otter Box and are very happy with it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:09 pm

I should have also added that Otter Box provides a nice warranty if something is not correct. It is a very simple process.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:13 pm

We went with Lifeproof cases which are waterproof. Something to consider if you spend lots of time outdoors around water or rain.

IMO, the case should at least have a lip that protects the edge of glass. We had an old case where the edge of the glass is exposed and a ball hit the edge and smashed the glass.
Wiki

mikep

Post by mikep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

We have an otterbox and problems with moisture trapped inside when around rain or humidity in bathrooms etc. is this normal?

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 pm

mikep wrote:We have an otterbox and problems with moisture trapped inside when around rain or humidity in bathrooms etc. is this normal?
I have not experienced that per se. We do keep electronic devices out of the bathroom however.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Here is the case that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Frosted ... c+iphone+5
It works for me.
Best Wishes, | Joe

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm hard on phones and take mine on long distance hikes for weeks and months at a time. Rain, sleet, snow, and shine....

Having tried several I can say for sure that the Lifeproof cases are the best. Never on sale that I've seen but well worth the $80ish to me. It is waterproof for all practical purposes and the few times I've dropped my phone nothing bad happened to it. I keep my phone in my backpack hipbelt pocket and if it's starts raining I just let it get wet.

I'll be starting a thru hike of the Pacific Crest Trail in April and just got one for my iPad which I'll be carrying to keep a journal of my hike.

The Otterbox comes in second but it makes the phone bukier and heavier (the Lifeproof fits more like a skin) and condensation absolutely will get between the screen and the plastic cover of the Otterbox.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I use one of these:
http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-cas ... one-5.html

Decent protection, slick enough to go in and out of pocket easily, not too bulky. I think that OtterBox and the like are good, but I don't feel like I need that level of protection nor the bulk.

These look pretty nice. Leather is guaranteed for 25 years. No kidding!
http://www.padandquill.com/cases-for-iphone.html

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

JMacDonald wrote:Here is the case that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Frosted ... c+iphone+5
It works for me.
Perfect :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm

TJ Maxx

General Disarray

Post by General Disarray » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 pm

I was thinking of this leather flip case:

[Link removed by admin LadyGeek]

Some of the Bogleheads, however, have called attention to some waterproof cases, which I may consider.

On the other hand, I don't use my cell phone a lot--mostly I have it for emergency purposes and for traveling--so the usage will be light and usually not in any rugged terrains, so some of the other basic iPhone cases may suit my purposes too, especially since they are at only a fraction of the cost for the other cases.

So many choices (too many choices, it seems), so little time.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:02 pm

General Disarray wrote:Just bought my first iPhone (5S) and am searching for a case for it. Wondered if Bogleheads had any recommendations--basic shell case, flip case, folio. Do the flip cases and folios offer more protection? I'm leaning towards a leather vertical flip case myself, but am open to any suggestions. I do not want a case with any of the extras (for instance, credit card pockets, etc.), as the case will not double as a wallet. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
That will not give you much protection in the event of a dropped phone. I have a Spigen case, which got lots of good reviews. It can be found at Amazon here. The case itself looks metallic and is rather sturdy. Believe it or not, I get a lot of compliments on it. For even more protection from a fall, get an Otterbox. However, I find these a bit too bulky and they do not slide in and out of your pocket very well.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Several factors determine the kind/type of case you may want.

Kids get ahold of phone? Prone to dropping the phone? Otterbox defender.

You take very careful care of the phone and no adverse weather? Apple leather case or nothing.

Might drop phone once in a blue moon? Spigen, Tech21.

Water a problem? Lifeproof.

My experience: I had an iPhone 4. Tried Otterbox Defender - too bulky and stuck in pocket and collected all kinds of lint. Ended up with a Cygwyn gel type case which I liked. Got iPhone 5s - went with Apple leather case; it is the perfect balance of a bit of protection, slide out of pocket easily but grips enough to stay in my shirt pocket when I bend over. Wife went with a Tech21 for her 5s; she loves it - I think it is slightly clunky. Daughter got a Spigen for her 5s; she loves it. Daughter in law has a Lifeproof; she dropped in toilet with no problems afterwards; I think it is very clunky and the screen protector drives me crazy with the distortion and makes it hard to "touch" the icons.

Conclusion: carefully determine your needs and prioritize them. Look at several cases and hold them in your hand and put in your pocket or wherever you will keep the phone. Check out convenience and protection. It is a very personal decision.

Good luck.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

island

Post by island » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:14 pm

I have a Lifeproof

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

All versions of the iPhone are perfectly designed and need nothing else. All else is an affront to the Jobs.
Last edited by roymeo on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Agree with the posters above, it depends on your requirements. Mine were lightweight and minimal overall impact to the nearly-perfect :wink: design. I used The Best iPhone 5s/5c Case is the SwitchEasy Numbers | The Wirecutter as a basis and then due to availability bought a SwitchEasy Tones. Have been very happy with the choice. No regrets.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

G-Money

Post by G-Money » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:53 pm

roymeo wrote:All versions of the iPhone are perfectly designed and need nothing else.
I tend to agree, although my spouse, who has a bad history with phone accidents, has a Lifeproof case. Mine is naked, except when it's mounted to my bike.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 pm

The iPhone cases I like on my chinese soap operas are the hello kitty, the jewels, and the coffee mug with the handle in the back.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?prod ... fgod4QMAcQ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MPFV3C/
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?prod ... fgodjykAxQ (bonus: hello kitty and jewels)
http://mykikisland.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... esign.html

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:17 pm

But, chinese soap operas also provide a reason not to use a case. Hold the phone between your thumb and middle finger, flick your wrist such that the phone spins, and repeat rhythmically. As nisiprius would say, way cool!

A case will only increase the coefficient of friction, making the spinning very difficult.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 am

I got a Vera Bradley quilted, padded case for my Nook. They seem to have cases for various other electronic stuff, although I was too lazy to go to their site and check for an iPhone case.

evelyn

Post by evelyn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 am

I'm a photographer, and my very favorite iPhone case is a Gorilla case into which fits the Gortilla tripod. Sadly, I don't see those for the 5s, but their products are great if you use your phone as a camera: http://joby.com/gorillapod

Achelois

Post by Achelois » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 pm

I use the mophie case for the extra charging.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:57 pm

abuss368 wrote:We went with the Otter Box and are very happy with it.
+1
I have dropped my phone several times on the asphalt and Otter Box took the hit, not the phone.

Lynnc

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:06 pm

I like the Vaultskin because I can put receipts in it as I get them. Very Boglehead!

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Does depend a lot on your specifics-- how protective, do you want a compartment for a credit/debit card, even extra battery life? That said I've generally wanted something protective without being "too" bulky and been happy with cases from speck and switcheasy.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 pm

LynnC wrote:
abuss368 wrote:We went with the Otter Box and are very happy with it.
+1
I have dropped my phone several times on the asphalt and Otter Box took the hit, not the phone.

Lynnc
Asphalt? Any phone case can protect against that. People who buy OtterBoxes are looking for more extreme protection, like my sister that dropped hers 100 feet down a cliff while rock climbing. The case was a little dinged up, the phone was fine.

I didn't like how thick and bulky my Otterbox defender was for my 4, so when I upgraded to 5S I bought a slimmer one from another company. It is waterproof though (really, it is). I don't think it would do quite as well in the 100 foot drop test.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

aquifer

Post by aquifer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Fletch wrote:Several factors determine the kind/type of case you may want.

Kids get ahold of phone? Prone to dropping the phone? Otterbox defender.

You take very careful care of the phone and no adverse weather? Apple leather case or nothing.

Might drop phone once in a blue moon? Spigen, Tech21.

Water a problem? Lifeproof.

My experience: I had an iPhone 4. Tried Otterbox Defender - too bulky and stuck in pocket and collected all kinds of lint. Ended up with a Cygwyn gel type case which I liked. Got iPhone 5s - went with Apple leather case; it is the perfect balance of a bit of protection, slide out of pocket easily but grips enough to stay in my shirt pocket when I bend over. Wife went with a Tech21 for her 5s; she loves it - I think it is slightly clunky. Daughter got a Spigen for her 5s; she loves it. Daughter in law has a Lifeproof; she dropped in toilet with no problems afterwards; I think it is very clunky and the screen protector drives me crazy with the distortion and makes it hard to "touch" the icons.

Conclusion: carefully determine your needs and prioritize them. Look at several cases and hold them in your hand and put in your pocket or wherever you will keep the phone. Check out convenience and protection. It is a very personal decision.

Good luck.
I also bought Apple's leather case for my 5s. I really like it because it provides a bit of protection but is very thin and still slips in and out of my pocket easily. I have kind of dry hands and phones tends to slip out of my grip sometimes so I like that it provides a less slippery surface to grab onto.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 pm

I bought an Otterbox case for my iPhone5 and my wife bought a Lifeproof case for her iPhone 4s...no complaints with either. However, I have opted for a Mophie juicepack to replace my Otterbox case as the battery runs down pretty quickly on an iPhone especially if you do a lot of Facetime or use GPS quite a bit (not mention games). If you buy a Mophie juicepack, make sure to get a screen guard as the pack doesn't come with one...and I prefer extra screen protection on mine.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

CoreTech

Post by CoreTech » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 pm

One of my buddies I design software with took some time off from our "day job" to design a sleek looking yet very protective iPhone 5 case: http://caseofsteel.com/

You may be able to get a good price as he bootstraps on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bu ... eautifully

MoneyDummy

Post by MoneyDummy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 am

I have a case that has replaced my wallet as well. very happy with it...

http://www.padandquill.com/cases-for-ip ... nd-5c.html

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 am

I like the Vaultskin because I can put receipts in it as I get them.
I have a case that has replaced my wallet as well. very happy with it...
I do not want a case with any of the extras (for instance, credit card pockets, etc.), as the case will not double as a wallet.

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:33 am

4stripes wrote:I like the Vaultskin because I can put receipts in it as I get them. Very Boglehead!

Snip of an Amazon.com review: "I spent about two hours, and thirteen beers, searching for the perfect wallet substitute and finally landed on this product. Like my wife and my first bite of a Milky Way candy bar, it was everything I had hoped for..."

http://www.amazon.com/Slim-Leather-Wall ... B00A2AS7BW

General Disarray

Post by General Disarray » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:04 pm

After days of research, this is what I ended up ordering:

The case:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9LVC2K/

Screen protectors (thought I should get a back-up):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBFSCD4/
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMCHUCU/

I'll just start with that. If I need something more rugged, I will consider the Otterbox and/or Lifeproof, and if I need something more of a wallet, I'll consider the leather wallet cases.

Thanks for all the suggestions. [links fixed by admin LadyGeek]

MoneyMythsSolved

Post by MoneyMythsSolved » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:13 pm

I picked mine up from http://www.Carved.com and have nothing but good things to say about them. They're a very small startup, but the case has met all my expectations to date. Service was also very fast, receiving my case just a few business days after ordering. There's many choices for styles, but I went with:
http://www.carved.com/shop/iphone-5/woo ... -case.html

With that said, the VaultSkin post a couple above this one looks interesting...

cheapskate

Post by cheapskate » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Another vote for the Otterbox (Commuter). It is a less bulky than the Defender. But protects the iphone well. My wife has dropped her iphone many many times over the past 2 years. The case is pretty dinged up, but the phone is perfect.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:56 pm

You are too late for this thread.
After days of research, this is what I ended up ordering:
Of course, you are free to start your own thread if you can justify it.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I know the OP bought a case and I don't know the OP's budget for a case but I found this website with great looking leather cases that address many different requirements in a case - the only downsides that I could see were (1) no return policy and (2) no contact information and (3) the cases are expensive .

http://www.vajacases.com