Any other travel freaks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Professor Emeritus

Any other travel freaks?

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 am

When I did our expenses last year I realized that just over 35% of our expenditures were for "travel" (broadly construed)
We don't have a second home but we try to rent apartments wherever we go.
We are already booked this year in London, Yellowstone, Hawaii,Vienna , Istanbul , Venice, Kruger and Alaska.
But I always had the wanderlust. We took the kids and we went. We went cheap when we had to but we went.
We are LBYM. I own one TV and most of the cars I ever had were used. I live in the house I bought from my parents.
Kids went to public schools and state U.
But I love going places.

Anyone else out there?

leonard

Re: Any other travel freaks?

Post by leonard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 am

Nah. Risk-reward isn't there for me. But, enjoy.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 am

For 2014, I have planned trips to Boston, Zurich, Philadelphia, and Chicago. In a few months I will retire and move to a different apartment. Once it settles, I will be traveling more often, more globally, and for longer periods.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Methedras

Post by Methedras » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:34 am

Professor Emeritus,

I am right there with you, perhaps to my detriment. :P I first decided that rather than travel, I wanted to experience living in different places, so I moved to Boston to go to grad school. I loved it so much, that I decided to continue on to get my PhD and work in academia so that I could have the opportunity to live in Europe. I ended up living in Sweden for a while, and now I live in London. Not only has this allowed me to travel to many places in Europe I would never have seen otherwise, but I have also gotten the cool experiences of actually living in these different cultures; an experience very different from just visiting.

The good news is now that I live in London, lots of family is coming to visit me here, and I can then take them on mini-tours of Europe. I have been all over Europe at this point, the only places left on my list are Prague and Rome.

At this point, however, I can say it is wearing a little thin. Moving all over the world and traveling so much is both invigorating and simultaneously exhausting. I now feel I have "gotten it out of my system", and I would like to be a little more settled. However, I'm not sure being settled fits my personality! Only time will tell...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, fellow travel freak here as well. Bonaire a week from now; CA + Maui in March; southern Appalachians in April/May, and so forth.
I am TRYING to expand more internationally (aside from Caribbean) but it's going a bit slow thus far...
Attempted new signature...

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I got burnt out from travel during the last few years of work - nothing like getting off a 13 hour flight in coach then going directly to work. It was getting such that I was finding the idea of travel and the reality of airports very unpleasant. However, since stopping work this year I have been thinking about cashing in some FF points and getting a round-the-world ticket. The idea of going somewhere, not to rectify a problem, do a tradeshow or make a sale, but to look around and explore is starting to sound appealing again.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 pm

We consider travel our "splurge" expense, but more due to volume rather than luxury. If international flights weren't so expensive, things would be much more economical. Our eventual goal is to travel for 3-6 months per year in (early) retirement.

This year is more low key because we just had our first child, but we plan on Buffalo, Florida, California and France. We have been to every continent except Antarctica thus far, but it's amazing how many places I still want/need to go. Not to mention places I'd like to pay a return visit. I have to stop reading travel magazines.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm

coalcracker wrote:...I have to stop reading travel magazines.
I find *most* travel magazines to be semi-useless: too much high-end luxury that isn't going to happen in my case.
Some televised travel shows do help whet my appetite at times; Rick Steves isn't too bad...
Attempted new signature...

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 pm

The changes in air travel in the last few years makes it so much hassle that I would rather stay home. We have been doing some long distance driving when we have time. It has to be a pretty compelling reason to get me on an airplane anymore.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Both my wife and I look forward to traveling more in the future.

Currently we take 1-2 trips a year. Usually one expensive one every third year apart.

We watch Rick Steves on PBS each Saturday to cure the itch.

jodydavis

Post by jodydavis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Our biggest expense after housing is travel. That said, I find that there is a limit to how much travel I can do in a particular year, as I find it exhilarating, but also tiring. I'm definitely not the type to just drop everything and roam the world, and in fact love coming back home after a long trip. So I'm kind of both a homebody and someone who loves to travel.

I also find that it depends heavily on stage of life. During my 30s, I hardly traveled for fun at all, as almost all of my effort was devoted to work and family. Then in my late 30s early 40s, got the travel bug and traveled aggressively for several years, seeing all kinds of places (e.g. Cambodia, Peru, Ecuador, Guatemala, Europe, Japan, China, SE Asia). Now, I find myself tapering back on travel again, and settling down to a few trips per year.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 pm

The Wizard wrote:
coalcracker wrote:...I have to stop reading travel magazines.
I find *most* travel magazines to be semi-useless: too much high-end luxury that isn't going to happen in my case.
Some televised travel shows do help whet my appetite at times; Rick Steves isn't too bad...
Although I don't subscribe to any specific magazine, I like to flip through them in bookstores or in the grocery line, just to get some ideas of places that may be off my radar.

I'm also a sucker for travel blogs, particlualry perpetual travellers. I could read those for hours on end.

jcw

Post by jcw » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm

I love traveling but it can be tiring. I've traveled to over 20 different countries in the past few years. For 2014, El Salvador, Prague, Vienna, Cabo, Kauai, Boston and Salt lake city planned. I figure I need to do this while I'm young and before I have kids. I try to travel as cheaply as possible while being comfortable. Signing up for all the frequent flier cards with the free miles and companion flies free is helpful. Also using airbnb.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 pm

My DW and I love to travel. Last year I spend over 40 nights in hotels. After charitable contributions, our largest expense is traveling. If I didn't work and our kids were not in school, we would travel even more.

Last year:
2 weeks in Montana
1 week in Moab, Ut
3 day weekend in Thermopolis, Wy
4 day weekend in Blackhills, SD
1.5 weeks in Texas for Christmas

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Not at all like you today because of our age. We used to do so more than now though. We used to travel often overseas and domestic locations before and after retiring in 1998
My wife and I did take two trips beyond visiting our children in the last 12 months plus an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July and an 11 day classy Celebrity cruise this January in the western Caribbean and Central America. They will probably be our last trips beyond auto travel because my wonderful wife cannot take the mobility pain. The Amtrak vacation was difficult and this cruise was the first time she had to use a wheelchair most of the time
Enjoy travel when you can. See all you can while healthy and mobile. Don't wait.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 pm

How on earth do you guys have this much vacation time? I'm using nearly all my vacation this year on a 2 week trip to Peru. I couldn't fit all the things we wanted to do into 1 week. I'm still hourly, so I could just take unpaid time, but my husband is not. We both only get 3 weeks vacation/year so by the time we take a day or two off throughout the year, plus Christmas, we're all out.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:10 pm

We traveled abroad extensively for pleasure for 10+ years while working. Then quit our jobs, put stuff in storage, so we can travel more. Lived in short-term furnished apartments and long-term stay hotels for several years in several cities. Exhausted. Now back to a more settled life in a different city&state and take 2-3 longer trips per year and numerous weekend getaways.
I have itchy feet more than DH and still have a long list of places I would like to live in or visit. Maybe will be back to a nomadic life again in a few years but this time we will make sure we keep an inexpensive homebase to come back to, between trips!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Sheepdog wrote:Not at all like you today because of our age. We used to do so more than now though. We used to travel often overseas and domestic locations before and after retiring in 1998
My wife and I did take two trips beyond visiting our children in the last 12 months plus an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July and an 11 day classy Celebrity cruise this January in the western Caribbean and Central America. They will probably be our last trips beyond auto travel because my wonderful wife cannot take the mobility pain. The Amtrak vacation was difficult and this cruise was the first time she had to use a wheelchair most of the time
Enjoy travel when you can. See all you can while healthy and mobile. Don't wait.
We now take the "Don't wait" VERY seriously.

We decided to begin our "retirement travel" even though DH isn't at all interested in retiring yet.
But we agreed that he would AT LEAST start using some of those zillion vacation days ;-)

And we agreed that "an extra weekend before or after a meeting or conference" no longer counted.

We booked 3 cruises in 1.5 years, and 1 major overseas land tour.

With days to go before the first cruise, a medical emergency hit (yes, we had travel insurance).
Everything is on hold.
We expect a reasonable recovery, but couldn't go anyplace at all for a couple of months.

So, once the medical clearance is given, we are about to book several more trips, and SOON.
And re-book that missed cruise...

We plan to travel a LOT, while our health holds.

Sheepdog, please tell us more about that Amtrak trip to Alaska!

We need to "use up the money", and we certainly don't need to buy more "stuff".

RM

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July
Um, Glacier National Park isn't in Alaska...

If it were possible to take Amtrak to Alaska, that would be one heck of a trip, almost up there with the Trans-Siberian Railway. :)
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Sheepdog wrote:My wife and I did take two trips beyond visiting our children in the last 12 months plus an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July...
What is "Stateroom"? Is it a luxury compartment? Is it very expensive? I take Amtrak a lot along the East Coast, but it's usually during the day hours and I travel in the Economy Class. Once I bought Business Class tickets and it was not much better than Economy, except that we boarded before other passengers and were getting free coffee.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:52 pm

22twain wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July
Um, Glacier National Park isn't in Alaska...

If it were possible to take Amtrak to Alaska, that would be one heck of a trip, almost up there with the Trans-Siberian Railway. :)

ooops :oops:

Had ALASKA on my mind...

But the trip still sounds great!

We'll stick with the Alaska cruise!

EDIT to add: Confused "Glacier Bay" with the Park...

RM

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:My wife and I did take two trips beyond visiting our children in the last 12 months plus an Amtrak (stateroom, of course) trip to Glacier National Park last July...
What is "Stateroom"? Is it a luxury compartment? Is it very expensive? I take Amtrak a lot along the East Coast, but it's usually during the day hours and I travel in the Economy Class. Once I bought Business Class tickets and it was not much better than Economy, except that we boarded before other passengers and were getting free coffee.

Victoria
I don't know what services exist now, but I've taken the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida in a stateroom (bunks, private toilet). It was pretty convenient.
This was (then, don't know about now) the "car train". Cars were loaded on special RR cars at the end of the passenger cars.

Then we drove all over Florida for a while, and returned north the same way.

RM

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I don't know what services exist now, but I've taken the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida in a stateroom (bunks, private toilet). It was pretty convenient.
This was (then, don't know about now) the "car train". Cars were loaded on special RR cars at the end of the passenger cars.

Then we drove all over Florida for a while, and returned north the same way.

RM
Thank you, ResearchMed,

I am planning to take the auto-train when I go to explore Florida. I suppose, I'll get to experience a stateroom.

Victoria

rob

Post by rob » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 pm

I have traveled some (more than most, less than a few) but I second the living in different countries if you have a chance. Did that when young and plan to do when the kids are gone off to college - we plan to grab a lease for a year or so at a time in different places. Traveling with kids is.. well... still worth doing but it's harder but you have to accept your just a tourist.

I used to love travel - the act of getting there, getting on a plane.... but I hate that with a passion now after so much travel for work and with what travel has become nowadays. I still love been in different places, I just dread the actual travel to get there.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:55 pm

I guess I'm a travel freak. Last year I spent 6 months on a road trip around the US mostly in the western states. Most of it was camping in or around National Parks, State Parks, BLM, US Forest sites etc. I didn't want it to end. Met some great people along the way.

States visited: Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida

Parks visited: Olympic NP, Cascades NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Point State Park (Utah), Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, Grand Staircase Escalante, Monument Valley (Navajo Tribal Park), Grand Canyon NP, Death Valley NP, Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, Muir Woods, Mesa Verde NP, Chaco Culture NHP, Carlsbad Caverns NP, Guadalupe Mountains NP, Big Bend NP, Padre Island National Seashore, Everglades NP

I really loved western Montana, Wyoming and Southern Utah. Southern Utah has a tremendous concentration of natural beauty 5 national parks, state parks, BLM and US Forest Service lands. I went to Utah 3 times in those 6 months and probably spent 2 months there. I was there when the government shutdown closed all National parks. Thankfully Utah has lots of beautiful places to visit outside the National parks.

It was a lot of driving but it wasn't bad because I had no set schedule. I'd get to an area, setup camp and explore for a few days or weeks if I was having fun. If I didn't have a reservation and mostly I didn't, I just tried to arrive in the area on Thursday afternoon to secure a campsite.
Wiki

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:15 pm

ResearchMed wrote:I don't know what services exist now, but I've taken the Amtrak from Virginia to Florida in a stateroom (bunks, private toilet). It was pretty convenient.
Amtrak's term for them is "bedrooms". The Auto-Train is still running, very popular and the longest train Amtrak operates. From Wikipedia:
As of 2009, an Auto Train consist is normally made up of two General Electric P42 diesel-electric locomotives (and sometimes a third engine) and forty or more railcars (passenger and autorack), for a total length of a 3⁄4-mile (1.2 km) or more. A typical train has: 1 transition sleeper (for the crew), 6 sleepers (including a deluxe sleeper), 1 diner and 1 lounge for sleeper passengers, 4 coach cars, and 2 diners and 1 lounge for coach passengers, and 20-30 autoracks which run on the rear. There is no caboose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train

The overnight cross-country trains connecting the Northeast, Florida, the Midwest and West also have bedrooms. A new set of bi-level "Viewliner" cars with bedrooms is supposed to start rolling out this summer.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Possessions and portfolio balances may make you think you are wealthy, but experiences and memories make you rich.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Good to know.

Do any of the other trains have the auto-rack cars?

It was so very convenient to bring a car along, rather than need to rent one.
(However, this was back in the early/mid 90's, so the costs now, of bringing the car vs renting one, might not make sense.)

In my "youth", I took the "Santa Fe" from the Chicago Area to LA and back several times.
Regular coach, sitting up. I'm not sure our aging bodies could handle a couple of days like that now.
Then? I think we spent almost the entire time in a nice observation car, playing bridge.

"Those were the days" :D

RM

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 pm

mlipps wrote:How on earth do you guys have this much vacation time? I'm using nearly all my vacation this year on a 2 week trip to Peru. I couldn't fit all the things we wanted to do into 1 week. I'm still hourly, so I could just take unpaid time, but my husband is not. We both only get 3 weeks vacation/year so by the time we take a day or two off throughout the year, plus Christmas, we're all out.
We are , of course, now retired.

We both were lucky to have the kind of professional travel where we could take the kids. I did a sabbatical at MIT and the U of Frankfurt. DW had 5 trips to Egypt. I'm invited in march to Vienna. I have actually done professional work in every state in the USA and every country in the old EU.

I have 900,000 "Butt in seat" Miles with United. That is a lot of flying. But it is a lifestyle choice.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm

mlipps wrote:How on earth do you guys have this much vacation time? I'm using nearly all my vacation this year on a 2 week trip to Peru. I couldn't fit all the things we wanted to do into 1 week. I'm still hourly, so I could just take unpaid time, but my husband is not. We both only get 3 weeks vacation/year so by the time we take a day or two off throughout the year, plus Christmas, we're all out.
I met many europeans on my trip and most (all?) had way more vacation than the typical American.

I met a guy who ran a business doing Christmas decorations I think he makes all his money in the holiday season and then he spends 9-10 months roaming around the US/World in his VW Westfalia. Nice gig.

I met a college art professor who has most of the summer off. He uses that time to visit National Parks and family.

I used to be an IT consultant. I worked on projects that were maybe a month or two long. The projects typically paid quite well and I could take extensive time off between projects. I consulted for 15 years and hardly ever worked more than 6 months per year. By keeping my expenses low, I was able to save 50+% of my gross income and still take lots of vacations. Before I started consulting, I worked as a software developer working 60-80 hrs/week with 2 weeks vacation.
Wiki

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:39 pm

2013: Vegas for work sales kickoff (basically drink a thon), Vegas for EDC festival, Cabo for labor day, Sweden-Copenhagen-Germany-Amsterdam post-mba fun trip, Big Bear for ski, NYC x2 for work/play, San Fran x3 for work, Arizona for work, Portland for work, probably some others I forgot. I try to travel as much as possible, you can only take so much with you and save so much, what good is big savings if you sit at home every night of your life? Always try to wrap fun into a work trip as well, like staying the weekend in NYC or San Fran. I probably spend 30% of income on travel as well. But I save at least that. Low mortgage, paid off cars, bought as much sh*t as I need in the house, etc. If you don't travel, you just are not seeing the world, enjoying life, etc is my thought. And I live in "Americas finest city"...

2014: NYC for super bowl festivities (not the game itself), Vail ski trip coming up, likely more ski trips and maybe late summer Europe trip depending on work....

My mom is/was a travel freak, I inherited that love of seeing the world... cost be damned
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:Possessions and portfolio balances may make you think you are wealthy, but experiences and memories make you rich.
amen man, amen :sharebeer
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 pm

140000 in-seat miles in 2013, most of it international. When I'm not teaching, nobody cares (much) from where I answer emails, attend video meetings or write/review papers and grants. In the last years we had a nice routine of summers in Europe and winter in East Asia. Soon kids school will put a bit of a crimp in that, but the next sabbatical is not too far away.

cheepsk8

Post by cheepsk8 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Guilty. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to daily expenditures but I will spend money when it comes to travel. For me it's about paying for experiences and not material possessions. What I learn about other peoples and cultures are priceless and it makes me a more well rounded and tolerant person.

My favorite places that I've been are: Vietnam, Bali, Kyoto, Yosemite, NY, Cancun, Lake Como, Amalfi Coast, Tuscany

I've always wanted to go to all 7 continents, well maybe 6 (as I don't think Antartica is worth the expense and I'm just not that into penguins). I've been lucky enough to be able to travel to North America, Asia, Africa and Europe, so I still have South America and Australia to cross off my list. Also on my list is Petra-Jordan, Jerusalem, Angkor Wat-Cambodia, Pyramids/Sphinx-Egypt, Taj Mahal-India, Greek Islands, Croatia, Phuket Thailand...so I guess you can consider me a travel freak. Just wish I had more time and money to travel more.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but any other must see places based on Bogleheads experiences????
Last edited by cheepsk8 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carorun

Post by carorun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm

75,000 ish miles flown last year- of which 60k was for work. I love to travel and have been to 23 countries (20 in the last 8 years). This year, I'm thinking about going to Brazil or Vietnam.

Last year's big trip (Thailand) was mostly paid for by miles and hotel points. I LBYM otherwise. The walls of my studio apartment are covered with photos from my travels.
Last edited by carorun on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:38 pm

cheepsk8 wrote:I've always wanted to go to all 7 continents, well maybe 6 (as I don't think Antartica is worth the expense and I'm just not that into penguins). Any other must see places based on Bogleheads experiences????
Antarctica isn't THAT expensive and can be done for less than $10k (inclusive of airfare). It's the four days on the Drake that suck. :D There are amazing ice formations, some of them nicely colored with various kinds of algae. While penguins are abundant, sea leopards, whales, and sea birds are also seen.

Another nice thing is that its one of the places left that is almost completely cut off from the rest of the world. Two weeks without hearing a cell phone ring, receiving an email, or getting any a bit of news was fantastic.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 pm

YttriumNitrate wrote:
cheepsk8 wrote:I've always wanted to go to all 7 continents, well maybe 6 (as I don't think Antartica is worth the expense and I'm just not that into penguins). Any other must see places based on Bogleheads experiences????
Antarctica isn't THAT expensive and can be done for less than $10k all inclusive. It's the four days on the Drake that suck. :D There are amazing ice formations, some of them with nicely colored with various colors of algae. While penguins are abundant, sea leopards, whales, and sea birds are also seen.

Another nice thing is that its one of the places left that is almost completely cut off from the rest of the world. Two weeks without hearing a cell phone ring, receiving an email, or getting any a bit of news was fantastic.
I have really wanted to go there.

But the recent "stuck in the ice" follies have had us more than a bit worried.
It was especially worrisome when the first rescue ship also got stuck in the ice.

That was not "just" a cruise, but tourists on a scientific expedition.
Did they go in a particularly risky area?
Do the "plain, simple cruise ships" go to locations where that is, er, possible?

I still want to go. But I also want to come home!

RM

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 pm

DSInvestor wrote:I guess I'm a travel freak...
Any chance you have a blog? I'm on a quest to visit many national parks and would enjoy hearing about your travels if there is any chance you have a travel blog...

I have more vacation time than money, as I negotiated a higher than typical vacation accrual plan with my current job. I have decided to follow the "don't wait" advice mentioned earlier, to the extent that the budget allows. Once the mortgage is paid, the travel budget will increase quite a bit.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard

Post by richard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 pm

YttriumNitrate wrote:
Antarctica isn't THAT expensive and can be done for less than $10k (inclusive of airfare). It's the four days on the Drake that suck. :D There are amazing ice formations, some of them nicely colored with various kinds of algae. While penguins are abundant, sea leopards, whales, and sea birds are also seen.

It's possible to fly to Antarctica. Weather sometimes delays the flights (possibly for an extended period), but it's a much easier than being seasick for days.

We haven't done this, but are seriously considering it.

South Georgia Island is another place to see penguins.

carorun

Post by carorun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 pm

cheepsk8 wrote:Guilty. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to daily expenditures but I will spend money when it comes to travel. For me it's about paying for experiences and not material possessions. What I learn about other peoples and cultures are priceless and it makes me a more well rounded and tolerant person.

My favorite places that I've been are: Vietnam, Bali, Kyoto, Yosemite, NY, Cancun, Lake Como, Amalfi Coast, Tuscany

I've always wanted to go to all 7 continents, well maybe 6 (as I don't think Antartica is worth the expense and I'm just not that into penguins). I've been lucky enough to be able to travel to North America, Asia, Africa and Europe, so I still have South America and Australia to cross off my list. Also on my list is Petra-Jordan, Jerusalem, Angkor Wat-Cambodia, Pyramids/Sphinx-Egypt, Taj Mahal-India, Greek Islands, Croatia, Phuket Thailand...so I guess you can consider me a travel freak. Just wish I had more time and money to travel more.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but any other must see places based on Bogleheads experiences????
I loved Croatia, and most of Thailand...but I would urge you not to spend any time in Phuket. It's seedy and run by the mafia. If you want to spend some time in Phuket city...Godspeed. I spent a night there and wanted a shower. Use the Phuket airport and harbor to see some of the nearby islands instead.

wonderhow

Post by wonderhow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 pm

I was enough of a travel freak to make career choice in related field right after college. And after a couple of months doing consulting for Medicaid projects post-MBA, I took a salary cut to get back to leisure travel industry. Just much more fun. I am in a different job now, but never regret taking that pay cut 15 years ago.

I have been in quite a variety of places -- growing up in Asia, participating in a handful of international exchange students and youth leadership programs, and then a number of years representing one of the major US travel operators in the -- plus my own vacation with perks. But what I am most thankful for isn't the number of pins on the world maps, but for the unique experience each trip gave me during the different points in my life -- different age, different roles, different travel companions, and different hosts.

These days I am not traveling as much, though I still take 2-3 weeklong trips and a few weekends here and there. All for vacation. I am done with work-related travel for a while. Our vacations for the next few years may concentrate on North America. If we ever get to semi- retire, we want to travel more. We also think we might retire in Southeast Asia and travel extensively there and still come back to the US from time to time.

And this post got me thinking... It's about time I plan our next trip.

wonderhow

Post by wonderhow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 pm

vachica wrote:
cheepsk8 wrote:Guilty. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to daily expenditures but I will spend money when it comes to travel. For me it's about paying for experiences and not material possessions. What I learn about other peoples and cultures are priceless and it makes me a more well rounded and tolerant person.

I loved Croatia, and most of Thailand...but I would urge you not to spend any time in Phuket. It's seedy and run by the mafia. If you want to spend some time in Phuket city...Godspeed. I spent a night there and wanted a shower. Use the Phuket airport and harbor to see some of the nearby islands instead.
vachica - It sounds like you didn't have good experience in Phuket. Sorry to about that. But Phuket is a gorgeous island with one of the most beautiful sunset in the world. Many visitors have a lovely time in Phuket and would not hesitate to go back.

cheepsk8 - I would still keep Phuket (pronounced "poo- ged" - as you may already know) on the list. The islands nearby (as vachica suggested) are also worth visiting if you have time. And if you go that far and are interested in history, culture,and architecture, might want to fly up to Chiang Mai. If you fly into Bangkok, it's worth fighting traffic to go see the Grand Palace.

As for other places you should consider:
Hawaii - if you can't go to all islands, I recommend Kauai and the Big Island, and Maui. At least four nights on each island -- but stay on at least two different hotels on opposite sides of each island. Rent a car, and/ or take a day tour around the island.
Australia - Great Barrier Reef -- snorkel at the very least
And since you go that far -- throw in New Zealand. Rotorua and Queenstown

I've never been to Africa or South America. The map on my wall has a gaping hole that I intend to fill ... Just as soon as I can. :-)

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 am

I have to say the most amazing non USA place that we keep going back to is Kruger NP in South Africa.
Where else can you drive a rental car and be surrounded (literally) by lions? I have a photo with 14 lions in it less than 50 feet away. And honey badgers really don't care !!!

I've been Scuba diving in Phuket. Also very nice.

American In Korea

Post by American In Korea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 am

I'm only 24 so I don't go to these expensive places most of you guys have gone to.

I'm in my last month in Korea (working) and in the last 2 years I've used this [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] country as a launchpad to many cool places in Asia. My favorites were Taiwan, Cambodia, and South Vietnam. These places are incredibly cheap and have loads of the few things that impress me- food, scenery, hot young backpackers, and mushrooms/pharmaceuticals that can be bought OTC.

More important than my travel card I've found is my Schwab debit card, since places I patronize do not take credit. The Barclay's card is mainly used to buy flights and big purchases.

Maybe when I'm in my 30s and bogged down by dependents or just fat, I will go for the comforts of hotels, resorts, and cruises, but there's time for that. My wanderlust has been sated for now, and I am looking forward to a few months in NYC.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 am

We would like to be travel freaks. We have mainly just traveled on east coast to visit with family. We love a night or two in large college towns for unique shopping and dining experiences. On some of these travels we have tried to use Airbnb and Couchsurfing for low cost meet the local alternatives, some of which have worked out great.

We might prolong our working life and exposure to riskier asset classes in hopes of significant first class international travel (it is one of the few aspirations of my SO).

There is a chance that we are better hosts than guests/travelers. We have a listing on Airbnb, reasonable priced. We live in the country on >10 acres, keep chickens (and pigs for another week), always have cooking and sewing projects going on. We offer up semiprivate queen murphy bed, two comfortable cots, and have finished off half of a large attic into private bath and bedroom. We have hosted one family twice, a family of 6 from Spain, a family of 5 from France, and others. The family from France brought their musical instruments and played most days and had a jam with a neighboring family. Many kid projects possible. Sharing our house with others has made us feel RICH! We do not offer much on our listing but really enjoy serving great food.
4nursebee

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Victoria, this is a bedroom within a double decked car with a bathroom, shower, deluxe seating and beds. Meal room service is available as part of the cost. We used room service full time, although we would have liked to have used the dining car at least some. The train has a dome car which is very nice, but we did not visit this time. The cost is considerably higher than coach. Check Amtrak and tour services like Vacations by Rail. Our cost for two thru Vacations by Rail was about $5600 which included round trip rail, 4 nights in 3 different lodges within the huge park and several excursions. Meals in the park were not included in the cost.
We traveled from Chicago thru Wisconsin, Minnesota and the upper Midwest to Glacier National Park in Montana. There is one overnight in each direction. It is a beautiful trip.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:59 am

Professor Emeritus wrote: Anyone else out there?
I am sure there are many. I am not one of them. I enjoy only occasional travel, and even then, only local.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 am

I alluded to this in my posting entitled "Expatriation or International Snowbirding" http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=131691

We haven't been able to travel much until relatively recently. As described, it is exhausting and invigorating at the same time - usually requiring down time after return.

I'm looking for a place I can go back to every, or every other, year for an extended period - but first I have to find it. So the next 5-6 years will be extended exploratory trips.

My in-laws led a pretty good lifestyle and were snowbirds, up north in the summer, Florida in the winter with some traveling. My father-in-law confided that he would have preferred to travel more, however he felt obligated to go to the summer home since the upkeep and investment was so high so he felt trapped in a sense. Whatever traveling days they had ended far too soon due to illness and death.

I have a retired cousin in ill health up north. He refuses to leave his hometown and would rather go ice fishing - then complains about how stiff and sore and miserably cold he is!

This leads me to another point. There is no guarantee of 'tomorrow.' It is best to do this while health allows it and when physically capable. Usually there is a physical decline later in life and, as such, tomorrow's plans may never materialize.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 am

Sochi used to be one of the best Russian resort towns. Based on the reports from the Olympics it almost qualifies as adventure travel.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.