How happy are you with your insurance company?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunnyday

How happy are you with your insurance company?

Post by sunnyday » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 am

I have Geico and would give them a 4 out of 10. Their customer service representatives seem great, but my home owners insurance goes up every by ~20% so I have to call each year to have it lowered. Also, my wife’s car was hit in a parking lot and it was a huge hassle getting it fixed because they kept having her take it to a shop in a different town that wasn’t used to working on Hondas. Finally after many trips and phone calls, she convinced them to pay a bit more for the Honda service and Honda fixed it on the first attempt.

So I’m thinking about switching or at least shopping around. The only thing is, I’m not sure it’s worth my time shopping around because I’m probably not going to save money and it will take some time getting all the quotes (home owners, auto and umbrella).

Also, what deductibles do you have for your homeowners and auto insurance?

cheese_breath

Re: How happy are you with your insurance company?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 am

I haven't had any claims since I switched to Safeco in 2012, so I can't help you there. But the thing I like about it is my agent's office is only four miles from where I live, so if I have any problems I can go beat on him in person instead of having to work my way through remote telephone reps. And with those big companies it's often a different rep every time you call. Actually I did have one problem. My 2103 homeowners insurance renewal came through significantly higher than the previous year. One call to my agent to ask what's going on, and he took care of getting it straightened out for me. By the time he was done the revised premium came through less than the previous year.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 am

I have Amica and am 100% happy with them. They are consistently ranked #1 or #2 out of insurance companies and they deserve it.

I had a claim with them in 2003 and they earned a customer for life.

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 am

You can get a quote from the Progressive website for your car and home pretty easily. You'd have to call to get the umbrella, that's the smallest item. I would just do that, and then figure if it wasn't cheaper than Geico then I was probably already getting a good deal.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Well.... We've had the same insurance agent for about 40 years... Different insurance companies over that span... Our agent always has treated us right... Always had reservations about going for the "discount providers", since the rates we pay are comparable to theirs even though the initial rate is lower... The 15% savings they talk about on TV was not there when I did the analysis....

I have always wondered what the next year rates would be from the discount insurance providers but we have some loyalty to our agent....

Just my $0.02....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 am

My wife gets New Jersey Manufacturers Ins through work and I find them a very good company to deal with. When we moved from NY to NJ our Auto Ins rate went through the roof. When my wife went to work and we were notified about this company, we switched home and auto and my insurance costs fell about 40% (2003). Over the last 3 years the rate increases have been modest but the dividend checks have been reduced substantially.

haystd

Post by haystd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

I just switched from Geico/Travelers (auto/home) to Safeco at an independent agent after a 30% homeowners increase at Travelers. I have no claims on either home or auto and the savings from switching was about $400 on the home and $100 on the auto per year. I cannot comment on claims handling at either Geico or Travelers, but I was never happy with having two different companies to deal with. Also, while Geico is affiliated with multiple homeowners carriers, I'm not sure how many carriers they offer in a geographic area. When I called to ask them to review my renewal rate and to check other carriers, all I could get them to say was that Travelers was my best option. The last thing I would suggest checking is your state insurance regulator. Most states publish a list of rate increases by carrier and complaint statistics. Also, keep in mind that there is no one right answer as rates vary considerably based on geography and a persons claims and credit histories.

Edit: Noticed the question about deductibles. Homeowners: 1000 / Auto: 500. Most people would probably come out ahead by setting the homeowners deductible higher and paying for small claims out of pocket rather than dealing with the rate increases caused by claims.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:44 am

I've been a satisfied customer of State Farm for many years. I've had a couple of small auto claims - the most recent a very dumb move on my part when I sat in our one-day old car with a knife in my pocket cutting the seat - that have been handled swiftly and easily. I've never had a homeowner's claim. The service I receive from my local agent's office (answering a very occasional question and taking credit card payments over the phone) is always friendly and courteous. My premiums typically stay the same or rise by small percentages from year-to-year. I've never experienced what I would consider a large premium increase. I shop pricing every few years and have not discovered a significantly better deal.

I have no idea if other's experience would be the same, especially given my decades long, very low claim history with the company.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:01 pm

No reason yet to be unhappy. No claim in many years.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Have Allstate for many years. Service has gone downhill over the years, and prices up.

That said, tried getting a quote from Amica recently, took a very long time to just get a quote
for auto, and result was a much higher premium. Never got around to home owners and umbrella
quotes.

I would move away from Allstate if could find another company with better service, same rates even.

ncg1983

Post by ncg1983 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 pm

We are fortunate enough to be USAA members (through former military service of our parents) and we find that their service is very good. The reps are knowledgable, quick to answer, and fast to respond (during claims). Additionally, the pricing seems to be quite competitive and the website is very easy to use and informative. We've got insurance for auto (2 Audi's), homeowners, umbrella, and valuable personal property (for her engagement ring & wedding band). We've only had a handful of claims, and all have been relatively easy, pleasant experiences.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 pm

My home, auto and umbrella is with AARP/Hartford and I am very satisfied in terms of both price and service. Whenever I have price Amica or State Farm, I have typically found them to be between 25=50% higher in cost.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Sconie wrote:My home, auto and umbrella is with AARP/Hartford and I am very satisfied in terms of both price and service.
I switched from State Farm to AARP/Hartford last year at 40% of the cost of State Farm for better coverage with AARP/Hartford. Just did my renewal - auto went up a few dollars, homeowners 25%, but is still less than half what State Farm was charging. I presume the homeowners increase was related to the flooding in Boulder County last September.

$2k deductible homeowners, $1k for auto.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:47 am

You don't know how good your insurance company is until they handle a claim, sometimes a tough one.

Allstate has been excellent about handling claims for home insurance. I once considered switching car insurance to there, but the rate was too high. Mercury, auto, has also been swift with handling claims.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:54 am

BuckyBadger wrote:I have Amica and am 100% happy with them. They are consistently ranked #1 or #2 out of insurance companies and they deserve it.

+1 for Amica.

I don't care about the closeness of a local agent, because they have wonderful phone people 24/7. I don't know where they find these employees, but every one is a gem.

Also, I used to be a State Farm customer. I had a policy on my classic Mustang that had coverage of original or same appearance parts, and they were a giant pain when the hubcaps were stolen. I wanted to just buy replacements from any of several reputable online places, but instead three times they sent me on long drives because they "had located the appropriate year hubcaps nearby" and would only cover those because it avoided the shipping expense. Every %$# time the place they sent me to did not have the correct year, even though they claimed to when I also checked on the phone. Finally I said the %$## to it and just paid for them from an online place myself.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:50 am

I switch companies quite often. Liberty mutual presently. Happy as one can be with an insurance company.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 am

BuckyBadger wrote:I have Amica and am 100% happy with them. They are consistently ranked #1 or #2 out of insurance companies and they deserve it.
+1

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 am

blevine wrote:Have Allstate for many years. Service has gone downhill over the years, and prices up.

That said, tried getting a quote from Amica recently, took a very long time to just get a quote
for auto, and result was a much higher premium. Never got around to home owners and umbrella
quotes.

I would move away from Allstate if could find another company with better service, same rates even.
Interesting. I have been with Amica, and while I don't think it's bargain bottom pricing, the service is usually fantastic. Did you call the national office or your state office? I have occasionally found different personalities at the state office, and when I talk to someone I really like, I only call them directly via their extension.

may pop

Post by may pop » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Very happy with American Family.

Bidwell

Post by Bidwell » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:23 pm

We used to love USAA Insurance Company. However, they seem hell bent on growing and growing. The premiums appear too high and I have lost that love'n feeling a bit. USAA has a line of "corporate speak" in which they keeping telling us how much we have saved and how wonderful they, themselves, are. I find them almost unaffordable in that there are few opportunities to pick lower price points in their product lines. After fifty years as member, I shouldn't feel the need to shop, but I do. Life is full of change.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 pm

+1

Customer of Amica for over 30 years.