SUV Vs Sedan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pepperjack

SUV Vs Sedan

Post by pepperjack »

Hi,
I have decided to by a 2014 car for myself since the commute the office is taking too long. However, my husband suggested that I get an SUV because they are safer. The problem is I'm not quite sure about this. I have narrowed down to some SUVs and mid-sized sedans. In the SUVs I am interested in Honda CRV and Nissan Rogue. In the Sedans I am interested in Honda Accord and Ford Fusion Any suggestions on which one to buy? Thanks
sunnyday

Re: SUV Vs Sedan

Post by sunnyday »

Here's my favorite site for car safety - http://informedforlife.org/
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

I like the CRV and the Accord. Honda all the way.

- Tim
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

Brother and sister in law have a KIA Sorrento and they love it. Very good warranty and quite reasonable. And if you aren't towing, the 4 cylinder gets great mileage.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Every family should have at least one SUV. You need it to drive out of natural disaster zone when the streets are still flooded and fallen tree debris blocks the roads. Put a chainsaw in the back, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Plus for SUV (which can also be disadvantages of SUV's if you have a different preference/lifestyle):
- Some find it easier to load kids of all ages
- Space to carry kids sports/activity paraphernalia
- Some prefer riding higher above the road
- Space to buy big items at Costco or home improvement stores, and then space to take donations to charity dropoff
- Road trip vacations (camping)
- Not a minivan

There are safe SUVs and sedans. I think the above criteria should play a bigger role in the decision.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

sunnyday wrote:Here's my favorite site for car safety - http://informedforlife.org/
Interesting website, although I wonder how much of those statistics are based on correlation vs. causation. Trucks probably do worse because of low seat belt usage while SUVs and minivans benefit from low drunk driving rates. Small cars suffer from being bought by young inexperienced drivers and sports cars get driven by a disproportionate number of people who like to drive recklessly.
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

You might also look at the Subaru Outback and the Rav4. I find an SUV more fun to drive. I've got the Rav4 V6 and it's very peppy and fun to drive compared to a sedan.
Topic Author
pepperjack

Post by pepperjack »

stan1 : Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely consider these before the big decision.

Sunnyday : Thank you for the URL, I will take a look at this page for safety comparisons.

Impmd : Thank you, I haven't gone on a test drive on any of these vehicles, will put the RAV4 into the list as well.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I have a 2011 Nissan Xterra that I like very much. You might take it look at it: http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/xterra/ve ... ion.s.html
Best Wishes, | Joe
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

YttriumNitrate wrote:
sunnyday wrote:Here's my favorite site for car safety - http://informedforlife.org/
Interesting website, although I wonder how much of those statistics are based on correlation vs. causation. Trucks probably do worse because of low seat belt usage while SUVs and minivans benefit from low drunk driving rates. Small cars suffer from being bought by young inexperienced drivers and sports cars get driven by a disproportionate number of people who like to drive recklessly.
Maybe slightly. But if you're concerned about that you could still use the site to compare safety within class
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Kiplinger's best new car values of 2014 - MSN Autos (just out this week)
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/kiplinge ... autos_5196#
Forester best small SUV & highest 3yr & 5yr resale value of all 10 cars selected except for Chevy Corvette Stingray!

2014 Motor Trend SUV of the Year: Subaru Forester
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv ... z2rSjPcmWZ

Also, compare Safety Ratings directly at the Nat'l Institute for Highyway Safetytesting site: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... u/forester, you can compare all vehicles there. If you click, "Print Full Report", shows on screen & no cost, you will also see the actual crash test pictures.

Yes, I am biased, bought my 1st Subaru two weeks ago, the 2014 Forester ... great vehicle. I suggest you at least test drive one.
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

orlandoman wrote:Kiplinger's best new car values of 2014 - MSN Autos (just out this week)
Forester best small SUV & highest 3yr & 5yr resale value of all 10 cars selected except for Chevy Corvette Stingray!

Also, compare Safety Ratings directly at the Nat'l Institute for Highyway Safetytesting site: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... u/forester, you can compare all vehicles there.

Yes, I am biased, bought my 1st Subaru two weeks ago, the 2014 Forester ... great vehicle. I suggest you at least test drive one.
I hope you have a dog to go with that Subaru: http://www.subaru.com/dogs/index.html
I usually don't pay any attention to ads, but these ads are funny.
Best Wishes, | Joe
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

JMacDonald wrote:
orlandoman wrote:Kiplinger's best new car values of 2014 - MSN Autos (just out this week)

Also, compare Safety Ratings directly at the Nat'l Institute for Highyway Safetytesting site: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... u/forester, you can compare all vehicles there.

I hope you have a dog to go with that Subaru: http://www.subaru.com/dogs/index.html
I usually don't pay any attention to ads, but these ads are funny.
Yes, whether you have any interest in a Subaru or not the 4-5, 30 second ads are really funny ... especially if you like/have dogs!
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

I would suggest my wife test drive the Accord and the CRV and then choose whichever one she was comfortable with.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

YttriumNitrate wrote:
Half the equation is the safer car, but the other half is the safer driver. My theory is that IF you choose one of these cars, even if you were a young inexperienced reckless driver, some of you will become safer drivers.

Safety aside, why do you need an SUV? It's a lot of extra weight if you're not going to use the extra space. These statistics are very low likelihood, whereas mileage hit from extra weight is every mile.

I was once a young inexperienced reckless driver, but ever since I got a minivan, I now drive like a grandma. I can (and might trade down) to a sedan, but the occasional need to carry extra passengers or cargo come in handy. If I drove more, I would definitely go for the efficiency. An Accord (especially V6, though 4 cyl is adequate) is probably going to drive better than a CRV.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Honda-Vtec ... Times.html

2013 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan (CVT) 0-60 mph 7.5 Quarter Mile 15.7
2013 Honda CR-V 2.2 i-DTEC EX 0-60 mph 9.6

A decade ago, Accord vs Camry was really your only decision among midsize sedans, but the field has gotten very crowded today with many good choices, like the Fusion, Sonata, Mazda6, Altima, etc. In some ways, you really can't go that wrong with any of these choices.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... size-Cars/

If your budget allows, and styling is to your liking, I'd suggest you consider the RDX (i.e. V6 CR-V).
Last edited by inbox788 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

As a long time fan of Hondas for cost and reliability, I have considered and driven Accords and CRVs. If I needed an SUV, I'd choose the CRV. But I don't need an SUV, so I have for years chosen the Accord, feeling more in control of it. Don't seem to see out of the CRV as well and never sure of my depth perception in judging its distance from vehicles and other things. Perhaps a matter of age (I'm 75).

Best regards,
Harry at Bradenton
Carlton

Post by Carlton »

Safety is relative. A full size 6000lb Chevy Suburban is "safer" in a crash with a smaller Honda CRV. A Honda CRV is "safer" in a crash with a Ford Fiesta et al.

What do you need the vehicle for? For commuting and transportation a Mazda 6/Accord/Fusion/Camry are all good choices. A small CUV like the Honda CRV/Mazda CX-5/Ford Escape/Subaru Forester are great for trips to home centers/Costco etc. Most of these platforms share commonality between the CUV and car versions. The small CUV's get pretty good gas mileage with great utility. The sedans get even better milage with better driving dynamics.

My personal favorites are the Mazda 6 and the Mazda CX5. Both are fun to drive with buttoned-down handling and excellent fuel economy. There really isn't a bad choice in the segment but some are more engaging and satisfying to drive than others.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

stan1 wrote:Plus for SUV (which can also be disadvantages of SUV's if you have a different preference/lifestyle):
- Not a minivan
Ah, yes the most important factor. But you forgot the other...it is not a station wagon (of course almost nothing is). Of course, the "SUV" is no longer that, now a "crossover"...

I find it interesting that the comparison here is compact station wagon substitute vs. mid-size sedan and the assumption is that the somewhat smaller "SUV" type vehicles are safer.

Would a Jetta Wagon, which I believe is pretty similar in size to a CRV (other than height being maybe 6 inches less) be less safe than a CRV? Would it be more safe than a mid-size sedan?
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

In comparing safety, or if you are just curious, go directly to the source, the Nat'l Institute for Highway Safety & select any vehicle:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

This is a commuter car for yourself. Why are you looking at mid-sized cars and SUVs? Get something small & fuel efficient, cheap to purchase & maintain. Say, a ford fiesta, focus, mazda3, mazda2, civic, etc.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Gecko10x wrote:This is a commuter car for yourself. Why are you looking at mid-sized cars and SUVs? Get something small & fuel efficient, cheap to purchase & maintain. Say, a ford fiesta, focus, mazda3, mazda2, civic, etc.
You could also modify the car slightly and wear a helmet.

eharri3

Post by eharri3 »

In the old days when SUVs were built like actual trucks, they had actual ground clearance and real bumpers. Now pretty much all of them have gotten away from that except for the full sized trucks and SUVs. (Think Sequoia, Suburban, Tahoe, F150, Silverado, Tundra.)

The types of SUVs the original poster seems to be most interested in are really not trucks, they are passenger car-based vehicles that are lifted and fitted with all wheel drive systems. Their bumpers are plastic or thin sheets of chrome-painted aluminum with styrofoam padding underneath them. They are unibody rather than body-on-frame, just like sedans. In my opinion, safety-wise they are pretty much on an even playing field with passenger vehicles. Buy them for the all wheel drive capability or the cargo capacity, but don't be fooled into thinking they will keep you any safer than a Honda Accord or a Ford Fusion will. Those SUVs are of the same basic architecture with the same available safety technology as the sedans, they just sit a few inches higher and get better traction. Those are really the only things that set the two different types of vehicle apart.
Last edited by eharri3 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I found Honda very reliable but boring to drive, so went with the Mazda CX-5 (a cheap X-5?) but also looked at the Outback which is a little rich for my blood these days, plus so so mileage.

My range is usually anywhere between 28 to 33 mpg, depending on driving and AC. The 2014 has a bigger engine which I would have love; mine is 2013 w/ a 2 liter engine. I've got 22k miles on it w/o issues at all. This is my 4th Mazda vs. 3 Honda/Acuras.

Not sure about the safety of the 2014 Subaru Forester but it's highly rated. Some people do not care for the look but then I used to own 3 Saabs. March to a different drum.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

eharri3 wrote:In the old days when SUVs were built like actual trucks, they had actual ground clearance and real bumpers. Now pretty much all of them have gotten away from that except for the full sized trucks and SUVs. (Think Sequoia, Suburban, Tahoe, F150, Silverado, Tundra.)

The types of SUVs the original poster seems to be most interested in are really not trucks, they are passenger car-based vehicles that are lifted and fitted with all wheel drive systems. Their bumpers are plastic or thin sheets of chrome-painted aluminum with styrofoam padding underneath them. They are unibody rather than body-on-frame, just like sedans. In my opinion, safety-wise they are pretty much on an even playing field with passenger vehicles. Buy them for the all wheel drive capability or the cargo capacity, but don't be fooled into thinking they will keep you any safer than a Honda Accord or a Ford Fusion will. Those SUVs are of the same basic architecture with the same available safety technology as the sedans, they just sit a few inches higher and get better traction.
Actually, I bet new CUVs are a lot safer than many old much heavier SUVs. Problem with old SUVs is the high chance of rollover which is a major cause of driver fatalities. Rollover safety has improved tremendously on the last decade or so.
eharri3

Post by eharri3 »

sunnyday wrote:
eharri3 wrote:In the old days when SUVs were built like actual trucks, they had actual ground clearance and real bumpers. Now pretty much all of them have gotten away from that except for the full sized trucks and SUVs. (Think Sequoia, Suburban, Tahoe, F150, Silverado, Tundra.)

The types of SUVs the original poster seems to be most interested in are really not trucks, they are passenger car-based vehicles that are lifted and fitted with all wheel drive systems. Their bumpers are plastic or thin sheets of chrome-painted aluminum with styrofoam padding underneath them. They are unibody rather than body-on-frame, just like sedans. In my opinion, safety-wise they are pretty much on an even playing field with passenger vehicles. Buy them for the all wheel drive capability or the cargo capacity, but don't be fooled into thinking they will keep you any safer than a Honda Accord or a Ford Fusion will. Those SUVs are of the same basic architecture with the same available safety technology as the sedans, they just sit a few inches higher and get better traction.
Actually, I bet new CUVs are a lot safer than many old much heavier SUVs. Problem with old SUVs is the high chance of rollover which is a major cause of driver fatalities. Rollover safety has improved tremendously on the last decade or so.

Driving dynamics are a different issue, and there you have a point. But I would say what has happened is, in order to improve in that area some of the other things that used to make trucks safer than passenger vehicles were sacrificed. A high ground clearance body on frame 5000-plus pound vehicle with heavy duty bumpers making contact with a passenger car is going to win 9 times out of 10. It's simple physics. Now if on the other hand we're talking about certain avoidance maneuvers, the handling characteristics of a passenger car will make it more forgiving of the way people tend to react in emergencies, IE quick jerking of the steering wheel in opposite directions in a short amount of time coupled with hard braking.

I don't see any real absolutes here. Newer style CUVs are safer in certain areas, the older school ones are safer in certain others. Some of what has happened is a sort of evening of the playing field. A lot of the changes to trucks and SUVs have been designed to lessen the severity of impact to other vehicles they crash into just as much as they were to improve the safety of the truck itself.

AWD can be considered somewhat of a safety feature. It is for forward traction first. It can in some circumstances aid in handling on slippery roads, but isn't meant to be a substitute for driving skill and moderating speed for conditions. It doesn't help with stopping at all. IF the accident is DEFINITELY HAPPENING, being in a Suburban as opposed to an Accord can make a big difference. But I don't really think it matters whether I am in a Honda CRV or a Ford Fusion.
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

yatesd wrote: You could also modify the car slightly and wear a helmet.
I can only assume you're making fun of my suggestion because of safety concerns. A quick glance at the IIHS link from above shows that the best of the small car class is just as good as any other- for instance, the Mazda3 and Civic both get the best crash rating across the board.

I will grant you that the average rating for small cars is probably lower than other classes, but you don't buy an average, you buy one car.
yosef

Post by yosef »

stan1 wrote:Plus for SUV (which can also be disadvantages of SUV's if you have a different preference/lifestyle):
- Some find it easier to load kids of all ages
- Space to carry kids sports/activity paraphernalia
- Some prefer riding higher above the road
- Space to buy big items at Costco or home improvement stores, and then space to take donations to charity dropoff
- Road trip vacations (camping)
- Not a minivan

There are safe SUVs and sedans. I think the above criteria should play a bigger role in the decision.
If buyers were less concerned about image and stereotypes, they would see that minivans are superior to SUVs in every respect you mentioned except of course for the last one.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Gecko10x wrote:I will grant you that the average rating for small cars is probably lower than other classes, but you don't buy an average, you buy one car.
Those tests only simulate collision with a fixed object or vehicle of similar weight.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopne ... y-policies
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Obviously it's not ABOUT safety. If it were, you wouldn't drive at all. It's about meeting you're total transportation needs. You don't buy an SUV to transport one person 15 miles a day to work. You buy it to transport someone to work AND xxxxx.
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

I got the Rav4 over the CRV because 6 years ago the CRV had more road noise. Maybe Honda has since solved that? Also the Rav4 used to get the #1 rating from C. Reports for years in it's category - but now they've dropped it down some. I forget why.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

orlandoman wrote:In comparing safety, or if you are just curious, go directly to the source, the Nat'l Institute for Highway Safety & select any vehicle:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings
The site is a bit misleading because they compare vehicles within size categories, and somewhere in the fine print they tell you that you should not use the site to compare vehicles of different curb weights. The federal government comparisons have the same problem.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

Gecko10x wrote:
yatesd wrote: You could also modify the car slightly and wear a helmet.
I can only assume you're making fun of my suggestion because of safety concerns. A quick glance at the IIHS link from above shows that the best of the small car class is just as good as any other- for instance, the Mazda3 and Civic both get the best crash rating across the board.

I will grant you that the average rating for small cars is probably lower than other classes, but you don't buy an average, you buy one car.
You need to read the fine print at the IIHS site:
Frontal crash test results can't be used to compare vehicle performance across weight classes.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/rating ... rash-tests

No doubt lots of people are misled on this matter.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

pepperjack wrote:Hi,
I have decided to by a 2014 car for myself since the commute the office is taking too long. However, my husband suggested that I get an SUV because they are safer. The problem is I'm not quite sure about this. I have narrowed down to some SUVs and mid-sized sedans. In the SUVs I am interested in Honda CRV and Nissan Rogue. In the Sedans I am interested in Honda Accord and Ford Fusion Any suggestions on which one to buy? Thanks
IIHS has been making noises to the effect that SUVs are now safer than sedans pound for pound. Electronic stability control (ESC) has mitigated the SUV rollover problem relative to sedans, and SUVs have an advantage in side impacts because the occupants ride a bit higher. Side impacts are becoming relatively more important because it's relatively harder to increase crashworthiness against side impacts. You can't just make a car 2 feet wider to add a crumple zone on each side, for instance.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

Carlton wrote:Safety is relative. A full size 6000lb Chevy Suburban is "safer" in a crash with a smaller Honda CRV. A Honda CRV is "safer" in a crash with a Ford Fiesta et al.

What do you need the vehicle for? For commuting and transportation a Mazda 6/Accord/Fusion/Camry are all good choices. A small CUV like the Honda CRV/Mazda CX-5/Ford Escape/Subaru Forester are great for trips to home centers/Costco etc. Most of these platforms share commonality between the CUV and car versions. The small CUV's get pretty good gas mileage with great utility. The sedans get even better milage with better driving dynamics.

My personal favorites are the Mazda 6 and the Mazda CX5. Both are fun to drive with buttoned-down handling and excellent fuel economy. There really isn't a bad choice in the segment but some are more engaging and satisfying to drive than others.
Feb 14, 2012, a Honda CRV hit my Chevy Suburban head-on at 55 mph. The Honda hit was head-on, hitting the front-end passenger side of the Suburban. Both cars were totaled but the Honda was smashed. The Suburban was totaled because the crash bent the frame. Both drivers walked away but the Honda driver later had some medical problems. Surprisingly, I wasn't even sore except for a slightly bruised thigh which hit the steering wheel.

If safety is a priority: My advice is to buy a big vehicle if you are commuting long distance. Big and lots of metal around you is better than little.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

If you don't need the utility of an SUV/CUV, or have a family of 4 or less, I really find them to be a waste compared to a nice sedan.

As someone who actually enjoys driving, SUV/CUV's are:
Slower
Handle worse
Brake worse
Worse gas mileage

All of which are inherent when you take what is essentially a sedan platform (which almost every CUV is based off these days), raise it another inch or two, add some height and AWD. And slap about $5-10K on the price.

As I've argued quite a few times, mass and size of a vehicle aren't the end all be all in an accident. For one, clearly accident avoidance would be preferred, and anything with less mass and thereby improved handling and braking stands a better chance of that. But beyond that, how the vehicle is designed and how it dissipates the energy of an accident are more important than mere size. Granted when a Suburban impacts a subcompact, the benefactor is obvious. But it's not as cut and dry when a 3500lb sedan hit's a 4500lb CUV.

Now before we get too defensive on this poster, let me confess we do own a Chevy Traverse. 3 kids and a lot of gear to haul regularly, NY winters, and I could not convince the wife to just go with a minivan. But assuming the needs aren't pure utility, given a choice between an Accord and a Pilot, or a 335i and an X3, I'd take the sedan every time.
eharri3

Post by eharri3 »

NHRATA01 wrote:If you don't need the utility of an SUV/CUV, or have a family of 4 or less, I really find them to be a waste compared to a nice sedan.

I am someone who grew up taking cross country trips with my parents', sister, and all of our 'stuff' in an 87 Corolla. We survived it fine.

Now I own a 2009 Toyota Tundra Crewmax pickup which gets used for occasional light hauling but is mainly my weekend and evening cruiser. Everybody who rides in the back comments that it feels like they're in a limousine. You could put 3 car seats back there and then an average height person could actually STAND UP in the rear of the cab facing them to position everything as they need it. When we go on a road trip my wife could recline her seat, stretch out, cross her legs in front of her, and if there a full sized adult sitting behind her they would be able to do the same thing. The driver's seat feels like a throne, thickly padded, upright, spacious, and leaving me feeling refreshed after hours behind the wheel.

Slap a lockable hard bed cover on that bad boy and that's all you need.

Do I NEED that sort of space? No.

But now that I have gotten to know what it's like to take a road trip in such comfort I will never go without again.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

I went through this comparison last summer. I bought a Honda Accord. I did look at cross overs, but they are not that good with the gas mileage. Gar mileage was an important factor for me. The cross overs that were only front wheel drive got 10% better gas mileage than the cross overs that were 4wd or awd.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Keep in mind that the weight, as it contributes to safety, is largely a factor when you're hitting moving or moveable object-- which is really only likely to be another vehicle--which is really likely to have people in them. So much of the incremental improvement in safety is likely only to the detriment of others. The data is clear that size does contribute meaningfully in certain types of actions, so it's certainly fair to make the assessment that it's "worth it", but the likelihood that most of the benefit is cancelled out on a net, per-accident basis, is enough for me to eschew buying a car that's unnecessarily large just because of some tiny increase in safety.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

jeffyscott wrote:
Gecko10x wrote:I will grant you that the average rating for small cars is probably lower than other classes, but you don't buy an average, you buy one car.
Those tests only simulate collision with a fixed object or vehicle of similar weight.
But here we are discussing vehicle classes - mid-size sedans against small to mid-size CUVs - that have similar weights: Honda Accord 3,253 lbs versus Honda CR-V 3,384 lbs. This is not a question about a Fiesta versus a Tahoe.

If you are really concerned about this, go to the printable test reports on iihs.org and you can see the actual crash test dummy data. For example:

Accord - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view
CR-V - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view

It's all potentially useful, but IMO, the most important are the HIC-15 (Head Impact Criteria over 15 milliseconds) numbers. Lower is better, with and HIC-15 of 250 estimated to be about where you can expect a concussion and HIC-15 of 700 (the max to get an acceptable rating from the IIHS) "estimated to represent a 5 percent risk of a severe injury". Comparing the Accord and CR-V, we find that the CR-V does better in side impact, while the Accord does better in frontal impacts. Looking over everything, I'd call it a draw in terms of safety and go with the one that best suited my other requirements.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Alex Frakt wrote:
jeffyscott wrote:
But here we are discussing vehicle classes - mid-size sedans against small to mid-size CUVs - that have similar weights: Honda Accord 3,253 lbs versus Honda CR-V 3,384 lbs. This is not a question about a Fiesta versus a Tahoe.

If you are really concerned about this, go to the printable test reports on iihs.org and you can see the actual crash test dummy data. For example:

Accord - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view
CR-V - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view

It's all potentially useful, but IMO, the most important are the HIC-15 (Head Impact Criteria over 15 milliseconds) numbers. Lower is better, with and HIC-15 of 250 estimated to be about where you can expect a concussion and HIC-15 of 700 (the max to get an acceptable rating from the IIHS) "estimated to represent a 5 percent risk of a severe injury". Comparing the Accord and CR-V, we find that the CR-V does better in side impact, while the Accord does better in frontal impacts. Looking over everything, I'd call it a draw in terms of safety and go with the one that best suited my other requirements.

The Accord is probably safer because the CRV does poorly in the small frontal overlap crash test. Plus the CRV is more prone to rollover. The Accord is rated in the top 3% of vehicles on the informed for life website.
Topic Author
pepperjack

Post by pepperjack »

That's a lot of great replies and wonderful feedback, thank you so much! These will definitely help me reach a decision.
BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss »

Heavy old steel cars were far safer than these new, plastic, yuppy cars, as evidenced in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

livesoft wrote:Every family should have at least one SUV. You need it to drive out of natural disaster zone when the streets are still flooded and fallen tree debris blocks the roads. Put a chainsaw in the back, too.
I suspect that most of today's crossover SUVs are not up to the task. The CR-V under consideration has about the same ground clearance as sedans, and probably won't be purchased with AWD either. Me, I just got a Subaru Outback, so I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse from an escape vehicle standpoint.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

For what it is worth - we live in Minnesota and having an SUV and an economy car works well for us. The SUV is better in the winter and, of course, for hauling things on occassion. We had a Forester but sold it and went with a Nisson Rogue. The key issue was driving comfort. I found the Forester to be very uncomfortable over longer distances and the Rogue to be great. My daughter's Honda CRV is closer in (dis)comfort to the Forester than the Rogue.

We bought a used 2012 Rogue and averaged 31 mpg over the spring summer fall period. With only city driving in the winter we've been averaging about 26 mpg.
Both these figures are about 5 mpg better than the Forester. My only regret with the Rogue was that it did not have heated seats - this winter we have needed them.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Peter Foley wrote:For what it is worth - we live in Minnesota and having an SUV and an economy car works well for us. The SUV is better in the winter and, of course, for hauling things on occassion. We had a Forester but sold it and went with a Nisson Rogue. The key issue was driving comfort. I found the Forester to be very uncomfortable over longer distances and the Rogue to be great. My daughter's Honda CRV is closer in (dis)comfort to the Forester than the Rogue.

We bought a used 2012 Rogue and averaged 31 mpg over the spring summer fall period. With only city driving in the winter we've been averaging about 26 mpg.
Both these figures are about 5 mpg better than the Forester. My only regret with the Rogue was that it did not have heated seats - this winter we have needed them.
I assume this is the previous Forester? The 2014 Forester has better mileage ratings than the 2012 Rogue, even comparing the (AWD) Forester to the RWD Rogue. Compared to the AWD Rogue, the difference is substantial. Granted, you wouldn't be able to get a 2014 Forester for the price of a 2012 Rogue.

Either way, I suppose Subaru is not known for lush interiors, so comfort could be a dealbreaker even with comparable/superior fuel economy in the new Forester.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

This head on collision data is good. But one thing that data doesn't tell you is the "commanding view of the road factor". I think it's safer to have a commanding view of the road. And that's not in the impact data. If you haven't noticed there's a lot of big vehicles out there.

Years ago my dad said to me "I hate those SUV's - you can't see a thing with them on the road". At the time I owned an Explorer. I said to my dad "that's why you want to be in one of them and not behind one of them".

A lot of people say "those SUV drivers drive like cowboys". There's some truth there. But if you have an SUV in snow and drive it like you're in a honda civic - you're gonna be extra safe.
Ged

Post by Ged »

ESC has made a huge difference in SUV safety. Prior to ESC, SUV death rates were higher than sedans because rollover risk was a bigger factor than weight. Now they are lower. For SUVs, ESC has meant a 73% reduction in rollover risk.

Minivans though are still lower than SUVs.

The message is to avoid used SUVs without ESC.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... han-sedans
reisner

Post by reisner »

For my money a hatchback is the best vehicle, whether it is basically a car or an SUV. We'll probably be buying a Subaru Forester next. Some have called the Honda Fit more of a mini SUV than a car. If you need AWD, Honda is coming out in a few months with a true mini SUV on the Fit platform. These all have excellent safety records in their class. We are getting rid of an enormous Toyota Sequoia, which has a great safety record in a heavier class, but which has been in several minor accidents because it is so big and lumbering.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

"Safer"????

Review rollover statistics of SUVs vs sedans.