Office Chair: Inexpensive Herman Miller Aeron Alternative

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
datamonkee

Office Chair: Inexpensive Herman Miller Aeron Alternative

Post by datamonkee »

Because I spend most my time in an office, I have decided to replace my office chair with one better for my body. An Aeron chair would be ideal, but I don't want to spend $800 for an office chair. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive alternative?

Thanks.
dependapotamus

Re: Office Chair: Inexpensive Herman Miller Aeron Alternativ

Post by dependapotamus »

I bought the knockoff version at Costco for about $100. Very comfortable, and I take painkillers for scar on my lower back that never healed properly.
Ged

Post by Ged »

datamonkee wrote:Because I spend most my time in an office, I have decided to replace my office chair with one better for my body. An Aeron chair would be ideal, but I don't want to spend $800 for an office chair. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive alternative?

Thanks.
Refurbed Aeron off Ebay for $400?

Personally I prefer the equally expensive Steelcase Leap, and have have purchased 5 of them over time from Ebay refurbishers with great results.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

I like my steel case Leap. Equally expensive, but the one I have at work has soldiered on for seven years without a problem.
Tristrex

Post by Tristrex »

I second looking for a used chair. I got a used Aeron for $350 and it has served me well.
altruistguy

Fitness Ball

Post by altruistguy »

I stopped using my HM Aeron chair in favor of a fitness ball. Have been using the fitness ball for the past five years or so and love it. I find that it keeps me from slouching and engages my core a bit.

Oh -- and I sit at my desk using my computer pretty much all the time -- it is how I do my work.

Eric E. Haas
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought a used HM Aeron. It looks like new. The guy I bought from buys used furniture from offices when they moved, etc. It was less than half the new price. I have lower back issues and it has really made a difference.
toumata

Post by toumata »

Lorell High-Back http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q5XTE8

Call me crazy, but my employer's office has HMs and I'd take the Lorell over them any day. Good customer service too.
Topic Author
datamonkee

Post by datamonkee »

Thanks! I will check out all the alternatives mentioned.

Also, buying used is an idea i hadn't considered. Does anyone know of any good online buying options besides ebay?

Thanks again for all your recommendations.
brianH

Post by brianH »

I prefer the Aerons as well. I must have injured my coccyx at some point, because now sitting on a hard surface for more than an hour really hurts. The Aeron, with its flexible mesh seat, is the only chair that I can tolerate for long sessions. I got it used on Ebay for about $450 shipped, and actually used the warranty (11 years) once to replace a armrest bolt.

It's funny how easy it is to be cheap about office chairs. When I really thought about it, I spent way more on leather couches that don't get used nearly as much. In fact, I probably spend more time in my office chair than any other piece of furniture besides the bed. With the 11 year warranty, a $900 chair works out to about $80/year, which seems pretty reasonable for something I use many hours of the day.
Topic Author
datamonkee

Post by datamonkee »

Just curious. Staples has the following chair on sale and there are a lot of good reviews. Does anyone have this chair? If so, does it rock freely back and forth like an aeron does? comments?
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Te ... uct_990119

Thanks.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

I have an Aeron both at work and at home. (After trying a number "inexpensive" alternatives that never measured up I bit the bullet.) I've used the Lorell and there is no comparison. IMHO there is a reason that the Steelcase Leap, Herman Miller Aeron, and Humanscale Freedom sit at the price point they do; I haven't used the others but I assume they are at least approximately equivalent and my comments apply to all of them.

My office Aeron is 6 years old; it still looks and feels brand new. It has a 12-year warranty (and is based on 24-hour-a-day usage) so I'm still only half-way through its life. That works out to costing 25 cents a day. The Staples Hyken, by comparison, has a 5-year limited warranty (and is based on 5-hour-a-day usage), so you'll be needing to buy three of them over the lifetime of the single Aeron.

Many people spend as much time in their office chair as they do in their bed. How much did you spend on your bed?
Topic Author
datamonkee

Post by datamonkee »

yup. that's part of the reason i started thinking about replacing my current office chair. I figured i spend quite a lot of time at the office. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the aeron....
SDBoggled

Post by SDBoggled »

Hi,

I used to buy OfficeXXX chairs but we kept breaking them.

So I bought first Aeron from Craigslist $450 and then next 2 from http://www.designerseating.com//prodtype.asp?

you need to select Herman Miller and understand all the options as they can be $100+ difference.

Seemed as good as new in all cases and so far we haven't broken any yet.
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

I bought this chair at Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... ries-Mesh/
It is WONDERFUL. It prices at $340, but I bought the floor model for $200. I've had it for two years and it has saved my sanity and posture! It rocks and swivels (turn on/off), has adjustable everything.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

evelyn wrote:I bought this chair at Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... ries-Mesh/
It is WONDERFUL. It prices at $340, but I bought the floor model for $200. I've had it for two years and it has saved my sanity and posture! It rocks and swivels (turn on/off), has adjustable everything.
I have this same chair and would love to get rid of it for half of that. The mesh bottom does not provide sit bone support that works for me. Am using a dining room chair until I figure our my next move. I was really excited about this chair when I bought it as it felt good for 5 minutes in the store. Bummer
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
davebarnes

Aeron is not that expensive

Post by davebarnes »

I am sitting in my second Aeron chair.
I got 15 years out of the first one. I paid $1100 in 1996 and figure it cost me 2.5¢ per hour over the 43000 hours that I sat in it.
Well worth the initial expense.
A nerd living in Denver
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

WhyNotUs wrote:
evelyn wrote:I bought this chair at Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... ries-Mesh/
I have this same chair and would love to get rid of it for half of that. The mesh bottom does not provide sit bone support that works for me. Am using a dining room chair until I figure our my next move. I was really excited about this chair when I bought it as it felt good for 5 minutes in the store. Bummer

That is a bummer. I agree - if someone needs strong support, this mesh bottom is not going to work. Good point.