Cat teeth cleaning cost in San Diego

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jda

Cat teeth cleaning cost in San Diego

Post by jda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

my cat is only 2 year old but his gum is pretty red and has gingivitis according to the vet.
The cat has loss appetite lately and has left a lot of broken food pieces around his food bowl which lead us think that his teeth might be bothering him.

We got the following quote and I just want to make sure the quote is reasonable and adequate for his condition.

Procedure or Dispensed Item Qty Charge
[ Dental Package - Cat ] 226.80
Pre Dental Antibiotic Injection 0.00
Intravenous Induction 0.00
Isoflurane General Anesthesia 0.00
Heart and Resp Monitoring 57.75
Subgingival Root Planing 0.00
Dental Polishing 0.00
Full Mouth Dental Radiographs 131.25
Day Care / Anesthesia Recovery 0.00
Injection for Pain As Needed 0.00
Anesthetic Screen 132.30
CBC & Differential w/ Anesthesia 0.00
Chem 16 w/ Anesthesia 0.00
Intravenous Catheter Placement 50.40
Intraoperative Fluids 30.45
Dental Discount -131.25
Medications to go home 50.00
Total estimate charges... $547.70

thanks in advance!

livesoft

Re: Cat teeth cleaning cost in San Diego

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:39 pm

We always talked to nearby pet owners to ask who they used for pet teeth cleaning. I suppose it is much easier for dog owners to meet other dog owners while walking their dogs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:45 pm

have you tried brushing the cat's teeth? It would cost $10 instead of $500. [medical advice removed by admin LadyGeek] I'd definitely give it a shot before paying that much money.

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 pm

We paid a similar amount for our 15 year old last fall. We're in an affluent area in Connecticut. He had pretty bad teeth / gums requiting full up anesthesia, some extractions, root planing, and antibiotics. I've probably missed a procedure or two. Had a second cat treated last week with less extensive problems, but was still $200. Veterinary care has gotten very expensive, but these cats are our family. Good luck.

jda

Post by jda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 pm

livesoft wrote:We always talked to nearby pet owners to ask who they used for pet teeth cleaning. I suppose it is much easier for dog owners to meet other dog owners while walking their dogs.
I have been wanting to walk my cat but the idea got repeatedly shot down by the wife :P .
nordlead wrote:have you tried brushing the cat's teeth? It would cost $10 instead of $500. [medical advice removed by admin LadyGeek] I'd definitely give it a shot before paying that much money.
I will give it a try although I doubt this will fix the problem. I had gum diseases when I was younger and brushing didn't help me, but like you said it's worth a try.
02sbxstr wrote:'re in an affluent area in Connecticut. He had pretty bad teeth / gums requiting full up anesthesia, some extractions, root planing, and antibiotics. I've probably missed a procedure or two. Had a second cat treated last week with less extensive problems, but was still $200. Veterinary care has gotten very expensive, but these cats are our family. Good luck.
hum..that's what I have been reading online as well $200-300 but a couple of colleagues from work was telling me cleaning plus a couple of extraction cost them more than a thousand dollar.

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 pm

How the heck do you brush a cat's teeth? My cat as I remembered hated having anything put in his mouth.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:11 pm

I have a cousin who is veterinarian and years ago we were discussing anesthesia is animals (esp those clients who get them knocked out to trim nails, etc) - He mentioned the mortality rate is quite significant as well as the anesthesia being expensive. His rec was that it's well worth training your animals to accept nail trimming, teeth brushing (dogs anyways - never tried cats) etc. without too much protest.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm surprised at these problems at such a young age. Do you use dry food?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Calm Man wrote:How the heck do you brush a cat's teeth? My cat as I remembered hated having anything put in his mouth.
VERY CAREFULLY

:happy

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:19 pm

One approach: get a quote from a vet in a neighborhood of lower priced homes or in a rural area.

It is interesting that identical home repairs and other services cost more in areas where people are more affluent.
Last edited by stan1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jda

Post by jda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:31 pm

travellight wrote:I'm surprised at these problems at such a young age. Do you use dry food?
We feed him dry food (Orijen and Evo) but we adopted him about 6 months ago and at the time his gum was already showing redness. He was also underweight at the time which leads us to believe his previous owner didn't take good care of him.
stan1 wrote:One approach: get a quote from a vet in a neighborhood of lower priced homes or in a rural area.
It is interesting that identical home repairs and other services cost more in areas where people are more afluent.
We'll definitely give it a try. The thing that worries me is that it's hard for me to find a good vet. Is there a good way to find a good vet besides using Yelp review?
I have exhausted all my friends/colleagues connections as most of them wouldn't recommend their vets and not many people have cats ( a total of 3 to be exact).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Let's extend the courtesy to our pets. Giving incomplete unqualified medical advice in an anonymous internet forum is not recommended. As a reminder:
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
For pets, start with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine's Free Animal Health Resources Web Sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Vet here: I will not comment on an animal's condition that I've never seen.

The bill is in the ballpark of "fair."

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 pm

jda wrote:
travellight wrote: .
The thing that worries me is that it's hard for me to find a good vet. Is there a good way to find a good vet besides using Yelp review?
I have exhausted all my friends/colleagues connections as most of them wouldn't recommend their vets and not many people have cats ( a total of 3 to be exact).
Regardless of where/what neighborhood you look for a vet, make sure you visit the facility, especially as you are considering something surgical.

Look around, make sure the place is clean.
Surprisingly, vet offices and exam rooms are not always as clean as one might expect. "Not clean" should be a non-starter.
[This can be a problem with "people doctors", too, of course.]

While you discuss costs, also discuss the procedure(s), what complications there might be, the comfort of your cat, etc.
Make note of how "caring" the staff (vet and assistants) seem to be.
Do they seem to *care* about your cat, or animals in general - it's well-being and comfort, and are they supportive of you?
It does not need to take a lot of time to communicate this.

Also ask what "after hours" emergency coverage they have. (Their own round-the clock? A colleague or larger nearby facility?)
This is important to know in terms of any complications after the cleaning (it IS under sedation, after all, which can be the biggest risk), but also in terms of future care that might be needed.

Ask to see the boarding facilities, if they have them, again to see cleanliness and the condition/comfort of any animals there.
Is this a "cat only" facility?

Finally, it's probably time to double check why your young kitty has such serious gum/teeth problems. Ask about a more general checkup to determine if there is anything else causing or contributing to the mouth problems.

Good luck, and hopefully kitty will be feeling and eating better soon.
Meanwhile, ask if wet food would be easier for the cat to "chew" for the time being, so it gets proper nutrition.

RM

jda

Post by jda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

RM, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post, as a nervous new pet owner, I really appreciate it.

I have been to this clinic twice and it seems like they keep the place pretty clean. However, I have only been to the check in area and the exam room, so I have no idea how clean the lab is nor how comfortable the other animals are in the back.
The nurses and supporting stuffs seem to be very friendly and caring but I am not sure if I feel the same about the vets. They seem to be professional and provided me with different diagnostic/treatment options that I am comfortable with but I don't feel like they really care (then again, reading people isn't my experty).
This is an animal clinic, so it's not cat only. Do you think it's worthwhile to find a cat only clinic?

I will ask about after hours and boarding facilities.

As far as the general checkup is concerned, what constitute a "general checkup"?
The physical we had so far consist of measuring weight, body temperature, listening to his breathing, heart rate, visually checking his teeth, tongue as well as touching various body parts such as belly and skin to look for abnormality.

Sriracha

Post by Sriracha » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:04 pm

DVMResident wrote:Vet here: I will not comment on an animal's condition that I've never seen.

The bill is in the ballpark of "fair."
+1

I'm not a vet but I've had to spring for teeth cleaning a few times for our formerly feral feline. The price you quoted is in the ballpark of what we've paid. It's a lot of $, but what can you do. Bad oral health is as much of a danger to cats as it is to humans.

We didn't adopt our cat until he was around 1.5 years old. No time to start brushing teeth, especially when the kitty at issue was feral to start with. :wink: I understand from friends that it can be done if you start at a very early age. Good luck.
Don't reach for yield.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:17 pm

jda wrote:RM, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post, as a nervous new pet owner, I really appreciate it.

I have been to this clinic twice and it seems like they keep the place pretty clean. However, I have only been to the check in area and the exam room, so I have no idea how clean the lab is nor how comfortable the other animals are in the back.
The nurses and supporting stuffs seem to be very friendly and caring but I am not sure if I feel the same about the vets. They seem to be professional and provided me with different diagnostic/treatment options that I am comfortable with but I don't feel like they really care (then again, reading people isn't my experty).
This is an animal clinic, so it's not cat only. Do you think it's worthwhile to find a cat only clinic?

I will ask about after hours and boarding facilities.

As far as the general checkup is concerned, what constitute a "general checkup"?
The physical we had so far consist of measuring weight, body temperature, listening to his breathing, heart rate, visually checking his teeth, tongue as well as touching various body parts such as belly and skin to look for abnormality.
No, a "cats only" facility isn't necessary, but IF there is a choice, it's nice for a few reasons.
First, the obvious: there aren't lots of dogs barking, etc.!

But also, with "cats only" vets, you know they REALLY like *cats* :happy

But we would choose someone we thought was a good vet, a caring vet at an "any animal" facility, rather than someone we didn't quite feel comfortable with who was cats only.

Also, if you aren't in a major metropolitan area, finding a nearby "cat only" vet might be very difficult or impossible.
But it's something to look for, in case there is one in the area. If there is, it's worth meeting them, for starters.

I'm not a vet, so I can't comment on what a good initial "physical" involves, or whether blood work/lab tests should be included.
But kitty seems to have something wrong, with gums/teeth like that, just starting out. It MIGHT (this is a "MIGHT") mean there are other things wrong that contributed to the oral problems, or that developed in part because of them.
Some of the pre-op lab work/testing/monitoring might serve this purpose.
--->> ASK the vet about this, have a conversation.

And hopefully kitty will soon be in better condition, purring away!

RM

bwb100

Post by bwb100 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:26 pm

We were pleased with the care our dog received at a Banfield Pet Hospital (co-located in a PetSmart). They have an "optimum wellness plan" (we paid about $500 for one year) which included a dental exam/cleaning (and other benefits). If immunizations are needed or there are other medical concerns, it may be a decent deal.

http://www.banfield.com/preventive-care ... ns/owp-faq

I'm not at all associated with Banfield and we no longer have a pet :(

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:41 pm

jda wrote: Procedure or Dispensed Item Qty Charge
[ Dental Package - Cat ] 226.80
Pre Dental Antibiotic Injection 0.00
Intravenous Induction 0.00
Isoflurane General Anesthesia 0.00
Heart and Resp Monitoring 57.75
Subgingival Root Planing 0.00
Dental Polishing 0.00
Full Mouth Dental Radiographs 131.25
Day Care / Anesthesia Recovery 0.00
Injection for Pain As Needed 0.00
Anesthetic Screen 132.30
CBC & Differential w/ Anesthesia 0.00
Chem 16 w/ Anesthesia 0.00
Intravenous Catheter Placement 50.40
Intraoperative Fluids 30.45
Dental Discount -131.25
Medications to go home 50.00
Total estimate charges... $547.70
Gee. I was trying to turn these into mutual funds in a 401k. Then I read the rest of the post. I had this done to my cat when I lived in Boston. Adjusting for 15 years of inflation this sounds about right.

Heck, it's worth it just to watch the cat come out of anesthesia, staggering around looped out of its mind. :)
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

jda wrote:
livesoft wrote:We always talked to nearby pet owners to ask who they used for pet teeth cleaning. I suppose it is much easier for dog owners to meet other dog owners while walking their dogs.
I have been wanting to walk my cat but the idea got repeatedly shot down by the wife :P .
I don't know about your cat's personality, but if you tried putting a collar , harness on my cat and tried to pull him around you would end up with some expensive medical bills.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 pm

jda, I asked a friend who had a great experience at a vet in San DIego. I got the name for you. If you want a second opinion, feel free to PM me.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Granted I am in a much lower cost-of-living area in California than San Diego and I have a fabulous vet who does not try to nickel and dime his clients, but $550 still seems excessive to me. I had an elderly cat that was having issues eating a couple of years ago. She ended up needing to have multiple teeth extracted. The pre-op blood work was about $50. The cleaning itself was about $125. The dental extractions were another $50. The three weeks of antibiotics afterwards (usually only 10 days for a simple cleaning, but she had enough issues the vet wanted three weeks) were around $50. We did no x-rays of the teeth (radiographs in your quote). So my total costs were about half of your quote.

I had a younger cat that also needed cleaning due to red gums and issues eating. We skipped the pre-op blood work because the cat seemed otherwise healthy and I was just charged for the cleaning and 10 days of antibiotics, so it was about $150 for that one. Some vets don't like to skip pre-op blood work due to concerns they'll get sued if the animal has a reaction to the sedation or procedure that could have been reasonably detected by pre-op blood work. Others will just have you sign a release that you're aware that you could have paid for a pre-op screening and chose not to do so.

I'd say you should shop around. Besides the offers here to PM you some names, also talk to friends and co-workers about where they go. Use Internet review sites as well. If someone has a fabulous vet like mine, they'll be more than happy to tell you about it.

Edit: Talk to the dog owners you know, don't just focus on cat owners. And ask about the veterinarian in general instead of specifically focusing on costs for dental procedures. A person with a dog who has a good vet might not be able to tell you how much it would cost for a cat teeth cleaning, but they can tell you if they have a great vet.

strafe

Post by strafe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:28 pm

How much does a new cat cost? :wink:

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:11 pm

strafe wrote:How much does a new cat cost? :wink:
What a shameful comment! Pets are not expendable. I hope you don't have any.

jda

Post by jda » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

We went to get a second opinion today and the vet didn't think the gum is that bad that it would affect cat's appetite so we decided to go with more diagnostic test which included blood work ($195) and urine test ($50) instead. Hopefully, we'll figure out what's going on with his appetite on Monday. Will update this thread next week.
Being a car person I have recently bought a brand new 250hp, AWD hatchback and I told my best friend yesterday, I rather give my car away than my cat.

jda

Post by jda » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Granted I am in a much lower cost-of-living area in California than San Diego and I have a fabulous vet who does not try to nickel and dime his clients, but $550 still seems excessive to me. I had an elderly cat that was having issues eating a couple of years ago. She ended up needing to have multiple teeth extracted. The pre-op blood work was about $50. The cleaning itself was about $125. The dental extractions were another $50. The three weeks of antibiotics afterwards (usually only 10 days for a simple cleaning, but she had enough issues the vet wanted three weeks) were around $50. We did no x-rays of the teeth (radiographs in your quote). So my total costs were about half of your quote.

I'd say you should shop around. Besides the offers here to PM you some names, also talk to friends and co-workers about where they go. Use Internet review sites as well. If someone has a fabulous vet like mine, they'll be more than happy to tell you about it.

Edit: Talk to the dog owners you know, don't just focus on cat owners. And ask about the veterinarian in general instead of specifically focusing on costs for dental procedures. A person with a dog who has a good vet might not be able to tell you how much it would cost for a cat teeth cleaning, but they can tell you if they have a great vet.
I have just found out today that our realtor has a dog so I am going to ask him about his vet as well.
As for now, we are just playing the waiting game, hopefully the blood work will give us something conclusive.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 pm

jda wrote:We went to get a second opinion today and the vet didn't think the gum is that bad that it would affect cat's appetite so we decided to go with more diagnostic test which included blood work ($195) and urine test ($50) instead. Hopefully, we'll figure out what's going on with his appetite on Monday. Will update this thread next week.
I hope this doesn't cross the line into medical advice, I'm just intending it to be a reality check from one pet owner to another.... Hopefully you'll get some leads from the testing. Don't be surprised if the tests lead to more questions than answers though. I've had cats who have been obviously not well, but the blood work and urinalysis were normal. Figuring out what to do next when tests are normal is where a good vet comes into play.

Another thing I do with my cats is I weigh them on a regular basis. Cats can be really good at hiding their problems, but they can't hide that they are gaining or losing weight. So once or twice a month, I'll step on the scale with the cat just to check in. I keep a spreadsheet to have a record of their weigh-ins. If there appears to be a trend of weight loss or weight gain, it's off to the vet we go to see what's going on. That has caught a couple of problems with my cats before it got to the "serious" point. Just something to note for the future.

a2_alice

Post by a2_alice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 pm

I registered after a long time lurking because I'm dealing with this exact issue now. My cat is 8 and we brush his teeth regularly, but he has feline oral resorptive lesions and some of his teeth have to be extracted. He also needs his teeth scaled--he just lost the genetic lottery in good teeth I guess. We live in a pretty high cost-of-living area, Ventura CA.

Here's the estimate I got (the dental scaling and polishing package includes everything yours does but the heart/resp monitoring, IV catheter, and fluids are included plus a fluoride treatment and sealing). We are not doing x-rays because it's obvious these teeth need to come out.

Pre-Op Screen, CBC (blood test) 40.00
Dental Scaling and Polishing Package 315.00 (-20% for being done in February, "dental month") = 252.00
Dental Extraction, premolar 30.00
Dental Extraction, molar 45.00
Medications to take home 63.60
Total 430.60

I would say that your estimate is kind of high. My parents have cats in the Bay Area and they pay about $300 for a scaling. I would be paying the same if my cat didn't need teeth extracted as well. Is your cat very aggressive at the vet? Mine just freezes up so until now we've actually been able to have the vet scale the tartar off his teeth during his regular examination without putting him under. Now of course it's time for him to get a really good cleaning including under the gum line, but if you have a cat with bad teeth at age two you might want to find a vet who can work out a cheaper solution.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:35 pm

great advice, mudpuppy.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Also, as your cat gets older, and you get to know it better, just keep an eye out for "unusual" behavior or symptoms.

Much as a parent with a baby (who cannot verbalize "It hurts here"), you may well notice somewhat subtle signs if something is "wrong", before it gets too serious.
That can be a change in activity level (more or less), or appetite, or elimination habits (some more obvious than others :shock: ), or a slight limp that others might not even notice, or just a vague sense of "not acting normally".
Obviously, one wouldn't want to overthink some of this. Pets probably have "off" days (or hours) just like humans, or the pet equivalent of a "headache" or mild flu, and everything doesn't need to be a race to a vet.

It's just something to keep in mind over the years.

Like when kitty isn't waiting to greet you at the door (having heard *your* car engine before you could even be seen - it can be uncanny sometimes... and great fun!)

RM

strafe

Post by strafe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:20 pm

02sbxstr wrote:
What a shameful comment! Pets are not expendable. I hope you don't have any.
I put the wink in there so that those with under-developed senses of humor would know that I was not serious.

I just came across a thread on this forum discussing the monetary value of children -- a theme I find repulsive. At times this feels like a place for those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

You may find this article enlightening:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

Burtsky

Post by Burtsky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Can someone tell me what place has this price for cat teeth cleaning. I had a quote for $1,550.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Burtsky wrote:Can someone tell me what place has this price for cat teeth cleaning. I had a quote for $1,550.
This thread is from 2014, so costs may have gone up. That said, the base price at my vet has only gone up to $150 for the cleaning, $60 for the blood work, $25 for each tooth extracted, and still about $50 for post-extraction antibiotics. This is in California, but I go to a very established (e.g. he has low overhead costs because he's been in business so long) veterinarian.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:15 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Calm Man wrote:How the heck do you brush a cat's teeth? My cat as I remembered hated having anything put in his mouth.
VERY CAREFULLY

:happy
Talk about the importance of bonds until the critter is bored into a stupor.

orca91

Post by orca91 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

So, someone was searching the internet for cat teeth cleaning and this thread from Bogleheads popped up and Burtsky makes their first post in a two year old thread???

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 pm

orca91 wrote:So, someone was searching the internet for cat teeth cleaning and this thread from Bogleheads popped up and Burtsky makes their first post in a two year old thread???
No worries, it has already started to morph into a bond fund thread. :mrgreen:
Semper Augustus