Thinning the Herd - what do you do with unwanted DVDs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

protagonist

Re: Thinning the Herd - what do you do with unwanted DVDs?

Post by protagonist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
The surprise of looking for something--skeet shooting, geocaching, or financial advice--and finding romance is more powerful than looking for romance and finding romance.
The nonsense that you wish to cut through is the stuff of life (and of love).
Victoria
If what you say is true (and it might be...I'm unsure...), then do you think we should only look for things we want in places where we are least expected to find them? Low yield but high reward? For instance, we should not look for financial answers on Bogleheads because we are so likely to receive them that we would not appreciate them as much as if, say, we got them from the librarian when we were returning our unwanted DVD's. Rather, we should constantly return DVD's to various libraries. One DVD per library.
Returning one DVD per library is a better path to find romance (with a librarian) than a financial advice. In an earlier message I noted that "In the financial matters, emotion is the detriment. In romance, emotion is all that matters." If you want to learn something, you go to the source of that knowledge, and the Bogleheads are an excellent source of the financial knowledge. The Bogleheads are great in spotting emotion-driven decisions and putting people on the right track.

But if you are looking for a partner in a place where everyone is looking for a partner--the intent, the utilitarian approach to romance seems to distort emotions in a wrong way.
protagonist wrote:Or to put it in terms that people here can relate to, we should be betting on the lottery rather than investing in index funds. More risk, more reward. Except that is not really a good analogy. Because love is more of a constant like the speed of light that you cannot exceed. If you invest in index funds you are never going to "hit it big" like you will if you win the lottery. But if you fall in love I think you might feel the same way (like you hit it big) whether via a dating site, Bogleheads, or donating DVDs to the library (carefully staying on topic...). A dating site would just improve your chances.
Again, I disagree with the analogies between tangible and emotional matters. With a lottery, every ticket gives you a distinct chance at winning. With dating, your mood, the image you project at potential partners, their mood, and the image they project on you are more important than the number of people you meet.

Victoria
Perhaps it just boils down to who you are and how comfortable you feel with a given medium. I have had very good experiences in the past with online dating, and I never bothered meeting many prospects...I just used my intuition, focused, and the few I met usually met my expectations. It is a bit like fishing with a huge net rather than sitting on some lonely pier with a baited hook waiting passively for a nibble. The way I see it , anything worth doing is worth doing well. But like most things, I suppose your mileage may vary.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 pm

scouter wrote: I've used Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs and DVD-Rs for ten years and unfortunately, they are the ones that have failed in less than five years. Tests have shown them to have the lowest error rates, but they definitely don't stand the test of time.
Are you sure they are not counterfeit TY? I have never experienced a TY going bad in storage.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 pm

protagonist wrote:Perhaps it just boils down to who you are and how comfortable you feel with a given medium. I have had very good experiences in the past with online dating, and I never bothered meeting many prospects...I just used my intuition, focused, and the few I met usually met my expectations. It is a bit like fishing with a huge net rather than sitting on some lonely pier with a baited hook waiting passively for a nibble. The way I see it , anything worth doing is worth doing well. But like most things, I suppose your mileage may vary.
I think the differences are not in the facility with different media but in the understanding of what constitutes a good experience. Even the expressions you use seem wrong. "Prospects"? "Met expectations"? This is sales talk. "Fishing with a huge net"? This is playing the numbers game, where the numbers (rather than the quality of the experience) become the goal. This is also where phishing comes from.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm

pinecrest wrote:I started a cat thread...a semi-practical one too (semi-truthfully speaking ;))...it was closed after about three minutes.

I'm feeling thread envy. :?

On topic? I have only two dozen or so DVDs, so they don't take up much space. If I wanted to get rid of them, I'd take them to the Goodwill.
You can contribute to this thread by discussing how to build a cat house from unwanted DVDs.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:Perhaps it just boils down to who you are and how comfortable you feel with a given medium. I have had very good experiences in the past with online dating, and I never bothered meeting many prospects...I just used my intuition, focused, and the few I met usually met my expectations. It is a bit like fishing with a huge net rather than sitting on some lonely pier with a baited hook waiting passively for a nibble. The way I see it , anything worth doing is worth doing well. But like most things, I suppose your mileage may vary.
I think the differences are not in the facility with different media but in the understanding of what constitutes a good experience. Even the expressions you use seem wrong. "Prospects"? "Met expectations"? This is sales talk. "Fishing with a huge net"? This is playing the numbers game, where the numbers (rather than the quality of the experience) become the goal.

I would not fish with a huge net or with a baited hook on a lonely pier. I like good fish, but I would not build my life around it. I would engage in other activities and fish as an opportunity arises.

Victoria
Cringe? Yes, it is a bit of a "store" I suppose. When I was actively online dating, I was seeking romance. I think it is something most everybody cherishes, and seeking it is not something of which one should be ashamed. Should we not make an active effort to get what we want, and rule out very viable options? I never stopped engaging in other activities when I was online dating, so I don't get why it should be one means vs. another. I also don't know why you assume that online dating implies seeking quantity over quality. Sure, that is an option. But like I said, I only bothered meeting a few people from online dating sites, which is precisely BECAUSE I was seeking quality over quantity, and as such, my efforts were rewarded. In fact of the very few I met (this goes back years), I am still in contact with all of them, and they have evolved into meaningful friendships, so my efforts were hardly wasted. The dating site I was on just provided me with more browsing room than, say, a jazz concert.

Your situation is very different than mine. You are a woman interested in finance which is traditionally a man's world. I don't know what the M/F ratio is on this site, but I would guess it to be quite high, and for a woman seeking romance with a man with similar interests (I am not implying that you are seeking romance....I am speaking in general terms), a Bogleheads meeting might be THE place to be....more than on a dating site. You are fortunate.

My interests are, like yours, very....in fact HUGELY....male-dominated. If I were a ballet dancer, I might never have had any use for online dating.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:53 pm

You can contribute to this thread by discussing how to build a cat house from unwanted DVDs.

Thanks for that one, you just made my day, lol.

When it begins to feel like a numbers game, I lose interest in just being a number - (not implying anything of anyone here, just a feeling about the whole online thing I guess).

BFG

hmmm just saw the note about male vs. female interests….my interests are male dominated, maybe I need to get out more lol, get my nose out of the books, lol. It's a cold and wet winter here, so I guess I am feeling a bit cabin feverish.
Last edited by Barefootgirl on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm

jharri71

Post by jharri71 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I posted several of my unwanted dvd's on a buy/sell board at work for $1 each and sold them all immediately. I tried to make them cheap enough where they would sell fast. A lot of the movies I had picked up at garage sales / auctions/ and walmart black friday deals - so I didn't pay full price for any of them.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 pm

pinecrest wrote:OT - Speaking of contrived and artificial, I happened to catch part of this week's The Bachelor. Juan Pablo is the bachelor and he's from....Venezuela!
Hi, pinecrest. Is that the show with the feeding frenzy over the millionaire? I heard about that but I never watched it. I can imagine it being funny. Much more contrived than online dating, I am sure.
pinecrest wrote:On topic - Yes, I agree the DVD cat house is a good idea
By "cat house", do you mean a house for a cat? I hope that is what you mean. Yes, I like the idea as well.
pinecrest wrote:. I was just distracted by the lamp...
The lamp was WAY cooler than I imagined. I looked for the right lamp on Margarita Island for years to no avail, and bringing a lamp from the US was impractical. On the other hand, bringing jewel cases and fiber paper and assembling it was simple. I keep getting compliments from sophisticated Europeans: "Hey, where did you find that lamp I had no idea you could buy things like that here". The moral of the story...you can make a lamp (or a clock) out of anything and it will probably be cool.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm

pinecrest wrote:
Off topic? protag, I think you need to start a thread: What I don't get about dating. ;)
I'm in enough trouble already. You start it. If you do I promise to stick my foot in my mouth.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 am

pinecrest wrote:
protag, it's not about a millionaire. It's about a bachelor "looking for love". LOL It's very contrived, but the contestents go to gorgeous places all over the world, and do all kinds of extreme sports, and the scenery is great. You just have to put up with the drama, and sometimes it's not worth it.
I must be thinking of another reality TV show. I don't get TV...just download shows....so I'm out of the loop. I would think that the drama would be the best part. (laughing). Of course it is the worst part in real life. How do you get to be the bachelor? I like going to gorgeous places all over the world and doing extreme sports, but I don't really do drama, so they probably wouldn't pick me. Besides I might be out of their demographic....have to lie about my age and hope they don't check.
pinecrest wrote:BTW, I'm starting a dating thread. Should be fun. :mrgreen:
I'll check it out, though I am sort of in "No Woman No Cry" mode these days. Still, like you say, it should be fun. I hope I don't get your thread closed down.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:13 pm

That fun has ended, but this one is still going strong. I've just read a relevant article, How a Math Genius Hacked OkCupid to Find True Love. There seems to be a method to the madness.

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
That fun has ended, but this one is still going strong. I've just read a relevant article, How a Math Genius Hacked OkCupid to Find True Love. There seems to be a method to the madness.

Victoria
That's great. McKinley is obviously not a Boglehead, or he would have figured out how to turn his algorithm into a billion dollar business.

ascenzm

Post by ascenzm » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm

joe8d wrote:
Rupert wrote:My local public library holds a fundraising book sale every year where they sell donated and unwanted books, audiobooks, DVDs, and CDs at very low prices. I donate tons of stuff for that sale. You might investigate whether your local library does the same.
Yes.Also don't understand why anyone buys DVD's when they are free at the library.
It the DVD or Blu Ray disc contains a film that you enjoy and plan to watch more than once then owning the disc makes sense.

If you don't own the DVD/Blu Ray disc and you want to watch the film, you have to hope that the library copy is not checked out. If it is available you have to travel to the library to borrow it and then you run the risk that some other library patron did not take proper care of the DVD/Blu Ray disk. Finally you need to be aware that the DVD/Blu Ray disk has to be returned within a specified time period or else you're paying a daily overdue fine. I often start watching a film and then life interrupts and forces me to delay watching the remainder of the film. This problem would be solved by retirement. :happy

YMMV

Mike
Avatar is a Japanese Cherry tree in Washington, DC during the peak cherry blossom time.

DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Go on on a cruise. Play Frisbee with DVDs.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)