Car Tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

Car Tires

Post by CountryBoy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm

I recently bought tires at:

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?ef_id ... ire%20rack&

They sent a brochure with the tires and the following:

• Applying a coat of wax to you wheels before installation will help protect them and make them easier to clearn
• Treat the finish of your wheels as you would the finish of your vehicle. The best way to take care of wheels without damaging their protective finish is by frequently washing them with a mild soap and water solution. Periodic waxing will protect the wheel’s finish from the elements. Never use abrasive cleansers, steel wool pads or polishing compounds.
• Beware of automatic car washes. Some washes use acid cleaners either before or during the wash to remove dirt and grime. Both could harm your wheels’ finish.
• Never allow your wheels and tires to be steam cleaned. Steam can dull the paint and clearcoat finish on youir wheels.
• Don’t clean hot wheels-wait until they cool.

cb

telemark

Re: Car Tires

Post by telemark » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 pm

I've never heard of wheels failing due to corrosion, so my guess is that this is a purely cosmetic issue. Follow their advice if you want your wheels to look their best :happy

Edit to add: thanks to everyone for pointing out that I was wrong here.
Last edited by telemark on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 pm

I've been driving for 35 years and have gone through a LOT of tires over that time.

I've never once replaced a tire for anything other than treadwear or sidewall puncture. If it is a car you are driving on a daily basis then you will wear the tread out long before anything else wears out.

That said, you do need to be acutely aware of the age of trailer tires or vehicles that are infrequently driven. On vehicles like RV trailers the tires are replaced based on age not tread wear and you have to be aware of things like rubber decay due to UV sunlight.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:27 pm

telemark wrote:wheels failing due to corrosion

I have chrome plated steel cast wheels. Due to northern salt and a corrosion on the inside bead surface, one of the wheels have very slow leaks. I think the salt gets under and flakes the plating and gives air a path to leak.

It got better with new tires installed a few months ago. The tire guy at Costco showed me the corrosion before mounting the new tires. He ground out the best he could and it was better than the old tires.

The best solution to this is not to drive north of the Mason Dixon line.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 pm

HoosierJim +1

i live outside nyc; lots of salt.

cb

Bidwell

Post by Bidwell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 pm

I've never heard of these rules of the road, tire wise. Get your tires rotated at the right time, keep the right pressure in them, stay out of Detroit, use some common sense and throw that paper away. We live in South Fla where the sun causes dry rot after four to six years in some tires and in all tires eventually.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Guys these are care tips for WHEELS, not the tires...

Seems to be some confusion :confused

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 pm

First, I see no question posed by Countryboy in the original post. Is there one?

Second, I think some who are posting on this thread are confusing tires with wheels. New tires were purchased by Countryboy but the brochure he refers to to is all about caring for wheels. They are two very different things, although they function very well together.

Am I completely missing the point of the original post?
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 am

CountryBoy posted this info since:

1-there seem to be a lot of people interested in cars on this forum
2-this info was new to him and
3-as required by Boglehead Forum dictates the information is "actionable" in regards to car maintenance.

NB:
If you find the info useful, fine. If you don't, fine.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Actually, this is a good post CB. Tire Rack always gives good advice. Rule of thumb is to always clean with the least harsh cleaner first, and if that doesn't work move up to the next, provided you know what type of finish you're cleaning. Mild soap and water obviously fills the bill for most clear coated wheels. There are some Nissan wheel finishes, as well as others, that can really be damaged by harsh cleaners.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks FrugalAl; my wife just happens to have a Nissan..... :D

iceport

Post by iceport » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:24 pm

CountryBoy wrote:I recently bought tires at:

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?ef_id ... ire%20rack&

They sent a brochure with the tires and the following:

• Applying a coat of wax to you wheels before installation will help protect them and make them easier to clearn
<snip>
cb
Thanks! Now I won't feel so self conscious about this. I've waxed my wheels for a while now just as a common-sense way to make cleaning them easier. I guess the idea wasn't too off-the-wall.

--Peter
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 pm

CountryBoy wrote:HoosierJim +1

i live outside nyc; lots of salt.

cb
+1 here in Maine. A gazillion rim leaks on corroding wheels. I have two sets -- one for three season, and one for winter. The winter set is the one with all the corrosion.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 am

HoosierJim wrote:
telemark wrote:wheels failing due to corrosion

I have chrome plated steel cast wheels. Due to northern salt and a corrosion on the inside bead surface, one of the wheels have very slow leaks. I think the salt gets under and flakes the plating and gives air a path to leak.

It got better with new tires installed a few months ago. The tire guy at Costco showed me the corrosion before mounting the new tires. He ground out the best he could and it was better than the old tires.

The best solution to this is not to drive north of the Mason Dixon line.
Yes, I've had that problem too and though I'm sure our salt doesn't help, the moisture in the compressed air contributes a lot to the inner rim corrosion. I had to have a shop pull off, over time, all 4 tires and take a wire wheel to the corrosion and then add bead-sealer when re-seating the tire. That kept them nice and leak free.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:03 am

The mention was made of "compressed air" and it reminded me of nitrogen in tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=191&

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:29 pm

CountryBoy wrote: Treat the finish of your wheels as you would the finish of your vehicle.
I do...never wax and rarely wash both the car and it's wheels :P .
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 am

CountryBoy wrote:The mention was made of "compressed air" and it reminded me of nitrogen in tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... techid=191&
Like said on the link it's generally a waste of money. If you can get it for free, sure there are minor benefits. Most of them would be removed if you find a shop that uses a drier on their house compressed air to remove the moisture.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 pm

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 pm

In case you are curious about your tires........

http://projects.propublica.org/tires/

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 am

Not specifically germane to the topic, but a word about TireRack. I've bought tires and wheels from them in the past and have been most happy with their products. They offer a nice option if you happen to live near one of their distribution centers. Yo can pick up your purchase at at a dist center free of shipping charges. At least you could 3 or 4 years ago.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 am

I have used the Tire Rack for brands and sizes not readily available locally with great results. A+. What they are saving to the OP is take care of the finish of your wheels just the way you would your car's finish if you want to keep everything looking great.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Everyone see this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/autom ... ml?hp&_r=0
No. The link says that Michelin will replace Primacy model tires with a new Premier model this year, which will have new tread technology that may reduce the loss-of-traction in wet conditions that treadwear usually causes. It's helpful to summarize an article since links can't be easily indexed.

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm

petrico wrote:Thanks! Now I won't feel so self conscious about this. I've waxed my wheels for a while now just as a common-sense way to make cleaning them easier. I guess the idea wasn't too off-the-wall.

--Peter
Reminds me of a friend who Simonizes her gutters twice a year! :wink:
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!