Spring vacation ideas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elysium

Spring vacation ideas

Post by Elysium » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Anyone has ideas on what to do for family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids age 11 and 3) for spring break. Looking to get away for a week since forced to take break due to kids being off. Cruise is the first option that comes to mind, if so which ones are better. I don't have a lot of money to blow on a vacation, but do something for a week away.

Geist

Re: Spring vacation ideas

Post by Geist » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Cruise is an excellent idea. Camping/staying for a week at a National Park of your choice would be good as well. Pick a city (or landmark, or area) and go explore. These are some of my go-to plans.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Caribbean cruise is fun, I've done that. Carnival is fun and has good deals.
"When nothing goes right....go left"

rjsob58

Post by rjsob58 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 pm

If you don't have a lot of money to blow, a cruise might not work particularly for spring break vacation as the prices are higher. If you can afford a cruise for 4, then an equivalent alternative maybe an all-inclusive in Jamaica or Mexico as those two both include all beverages (including alcohol). Cruises, there are a lot of things that cost extra (e.g. kids soda cards, some activities, adult beverages). I've done both cruises and AIs and they work out about the same depending on how much you drink, shore excursions, etc.

I'm not much on camping, but my wife & kids are and it saves some serious cash, particularly if you drive to your location.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:04 pm

A cruise can be fun, if one doesn't mind what can sometimes be crowded activities/dining on board.

On the plus side, on the larger ships, there are LOTS of things to do, and all meals are included (not counting occasional specialty dining venues).

Are you within driving distance of a cruise port?
If so, a cruise can be very cost effective, if you are willing to share one cabin.

There can be special shore excursions that can get pricy - fun if you want to spend the money for one or several, but they aren't "necessary" in most cases.
But if you are at a special location, there would probably be some wonderful memories if you could all share even one special excursion.

There are ships and categories within ships for all budgets.

The way we see it: The hotel follows us around at night.
No packing and unpacking or schlepping through airports every day or two, but there are different sights every day :happy

As suggested, camping or backpacking in a beautiful park can be terrific, too.
It depends upon what you all enjoy doing (adults and children), and what is nearby - and what the weather is likely to be in the spring.

RM

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Skiing or National parks that arent frozen.

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 pm

We did many car vacations when the kids were younger. We tried to spend no more than a day driving (or at least a day plus a short drive the next day). From Wisconsin, we hit places like Springfield, IL, St. Louis (multiple times), Kentucky (Mammoth Cave, Kentucky Horse Park, Louisville), Chicago, Minneapolis, WI Dellls. If you stay in a hotel outside the main city - you can find pretty good rates. We looked for those with breakfasts to provide a good first meal (and hopefully smaller lunch).

Alternately, cruises are nice - we did a 4-day Disney out of Miami that was great fun, but a bit more $$.

- L