Anti-virus protection for Apple products

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Anti-virus protection for Apple products

Post by EternalOptimist »

It seems that the prevailing attitude is that Apple products (iMac, iPad, etc.) don't get viruses, malware for a variety of reasons. Was wondering what those who own these are thinking / doing? Thanks.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
sscritic

Re: Anti-virus protection for Apple products

Post by sscritic »

Don't click on links in emails. I even forgot that lesson on Monday, but with no harm. Target sent me an email offering free credit monitoring for a year. I clicked on the link, but I shouldn't have. I should have just gone to target.com where all the information was available.

I also never let anyone else use my computer, but then I never let anyone else into my house, so it's pretty easy.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

They DO get viruses/malware (mostly malware that tricks the user into installing it), but it is few/far between. With current Windows 7/8 security I'd be tempted to say you don't need anti-virus on Windows either. I haven't had my anti-virus at work or home detect a virus in 3-4 years. The last virus/malware I got at home (on Win7 PC) the anti-virus did nothing to help, and it was installed because my wife clicked a bad link on facebook. I don't run any anti-virus on my Android phone or my Ubuntu server or Xubuntu laptop. I do run Anti-virus on my Android tablet, but that is because I was downloading sketchy apps from various websites. The Anti-virus was to counter my extremely risky behavior. I could uninstall it now, since I stopped playing around with the tablet.

What you do need, is a good firewall and good security practices. As sscritic pointed out, not clicking links or downloading files unless you are 100% certain of the source and contents. I follow email links if I'm expecting the email and the source looks legit (say a reoccurring email from dyndns to keep my account online) as that is a risk I'm willing to take. Not installing software you aren't 100% certain of (one reason to have anti-virus is to scan the software before you install it, and this would be useful even on a Apple product). And not logging in as administrator.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

I don't think that viruses or malware on my iPad is the big threat. A bigger threat is probably sketchy public Wi-Fi, where someone may intercept something, especially with unencrypted things like email. In those cases, I often use a VPN to connect.

Bob