swimming pool pumps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hq38sq43

swimming pool pumps

Post by hq38sq43 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Our pool pump has died and we are shopping for a replacement. Hayward has two we are considering, one very expensive touted as energy efficient possibly eligible for rebate or tax credit, the other "regular" about half as expensive (ca. $600). We live in SW Florida. Advice/recommendations very welcome.
Harry at Bradenton

mjdaniel

Re: swimming pool pumps

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 pm

I didn't even wait for my pump to go out, I replaced it with a Jandy variable speed pump probably similar to what you are looking at. With rebates and savings on electricity, you will probably end up getting your money back. The pump allows you to program different speeds for different functions. For example, just normal operation, low speed (this is where you save the money). For solar heating or spa, you program higher RPM's. All in all I wish I did it earlier, good luck.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Pool people should calculate the savings for you so you know the break even. Variable speed are about twice the cost of conventional but much more efficient and should last much longer. I have had one for a year and am very happy with both the savings and flexibility of the pump. It is also very quiet.

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 pm

We got this last year from amazon. Have been extremely happy with it and saved quite a bit of money on it.

mcrunyan

Post by mcrunyan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

We replaced a single speed pump with a Hayward SP3400VSP from Amazon back in early Sept after some really high electricity bills and saw a substantial reduction in energy use. I didn't find it particularly difficult to install, but our pool guy "knew a guy" who could install it for a couple hundred bucks in case I ran into any trouble. We got $200 back from SoCal Edison as well. This is important: actually check the dollar value of the available rebates in your zip code since we received a number of offers from pool folks touting $500 rebates even though the actual rebate available was much less.

One thing to note is that at the lower speed settings there won't be enough flow to get a sweeper to work. We end up running at 1750 RPM to keep the sweeper moving and that uses about 325 watts (compared to the ~1,500 watts of the single speed pump). So just keep in mind that you won't be able to run it at 800 RPM all day to take advantage of the "pump affinity law" if you need a sweeper.

nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am

Although I have been "retired" from the swimming pool business for 14 years now (thank goodness) I did spend over 25 years building a servicing in ground swimming pools and replaced/installed probably 1000 pumps (filters.heaters and pool cleaners).

Many years ago Marlow had a 2 speed pump on the market that was very similar to whats being offered now.I replace every one with a single speed ( Hayward Super Pump,or Bronze Sta-Rite ). You will find as they did its does not circulate the water enough in low to heat, chlorinate and filter the pool and is a waste of money. Ideally if equipped with a quality filter ( DE not sand or Cartridge),properly plumbed , "most" swimming pools run fine on a timer 12 hours per day (unless its very very hot out)
Saving "some" electric with a 2 speed pump will cost you 10 times that in chlorine,filter back washing and quality of water.

Buy a well known brand that has parts available ( Hayward, Sta-Rite) make sure you have a sch 80 hi temp fitting in the suction and discharge sides of the pump,be sure all of the suction side of the plumbing is 100% air tight ( PVC glued ideally) and the pump is properly sized and plumbed (again Ideally 2 " suction side-and check valved if above grade or distance requires )

Hope that helps
Last edited by nhdblfan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 am

Many thanks to everyone,
Harry at Bradenton

willybiggs

Post by willybiggs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:41 pm

My goldline hayward pump just went out after 7.5 years which I understand is very good life for a pump. Being the do-it-yourselfer that I am, I decided to tackle the replacement myself. I ended up buying a rebuilt pump from a Co. called Southern rewinding. After putting on the two seals and 4 bolts and firing it up, I saved big bucks. The rebuilt pump cost $140 and seal $20 and the labor was free of course. You can go on YouTube and watch how-to videos for help. I was quoted $659 for similar Hayward pump from the supply place that put in my pool. I saved the bucks and feel good about the successful installation which I had never done before.....good luck to you.

nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:22 am

willybiggs wrote:My goldline hayward pump just went out after 7.5 years which I understand is very good life for a pump. Being the do-it-yourselfer that I am, I decided to tackle the replacement myself. I ended up buying a rebuilt pump from a Co. called Southern rewinding. After putting on the two seals and 4 bolts and firing it up, I saved big bucks. The rebuilt pump cost $140 and seal $20 and the labor was free of course. You can go on YouTube and watch how-to videos for help. I was quoted $659 for similar Hayward pump from the supply place that put in my pool. I saved the bucks and feel good about the successful installation which I had never done before.....good luck to you.

When you say pump went,I think you mean the motor,and yes that very simple repair that most "handy" homeowners can do.
You should also,as you did,replace the pump seal and inspect the impeller and diffuser.

Good job williebiggs, nice to see someone take that on and save some money on a service call.

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Going to bump this thread since it's a year old and my question is basically identical to the OP.

Any specific makes/models that folks would recommend for a energy efficient pool pump replacement?

Thanks,

Valdeselad

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Valdeselad wrote:Going to bump this thread since it's a year old and my question is basically identical to the OP.

Any specific makes/models that folks would recommend for a energy efficient pool pump replacement?

Thanks,

Valdeselad
Is it the pump that died or just the motor? Motors are a commodity and they are pretty cheap. They are all made in China.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:38 pm

You can pull the pump off and bring it to an electric motor shop and have them test it. They may be able to fix it for a reasonable fee. I was able to do that the first time I had a pump burn out and paid about $50 to have the motor fixed.

The second time it was completely burned out and I bought a new Pentair pump off Amazon for about 50% of what my local pool shop wanted for an equivalent Jandy pump. I didn't do an analysis of which was most energy efficient, I just bought the one off amazon that had the most good reviews. So far so good. It was easy to install myself although I did have to re-plumb some of the PCV piping because the different brand pump had the outlets in different spots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UXPFMU

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm

jebmke wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:Going to bump this thread since it's a year old and my question is basically identical to the OP.

Thanks,

Valdeselad
Is it the pump that died or just the motor? Motors are a commodity and they are pretty cheap. They are all made in China.
After closer review I see that my question is not identical to the OP in that our pump hasn't died. I just fear it is very inefficient and I am just throwing money away every month. Just looking for strong recommedations for a good value energy effient pump. They seem pricey, but if it can save me $50 or more per month in electricity it seems like a no brainer.

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 pm

texasdiver wrote:You can pull the pump off and bring it to an electric motor shop and have them test it. They may be able to fix it for a reasonable fee. I was able to do that the first time I had a pump burn out and paid about $50 to have the motor fixed.

The second time it was completely burned out and I bought a new Pentair pump off Amazon for about 50% of what my local pool shop wanted for an equivalent Jandy pump. I didn't do an analysis of which was most energy efficient, I just bought the one off amazon that had the most good reviews. So far so good. It was easy to install myself although I did have to re-plumb some of the PCV piping because the different brand pump had the outlets in different spots.

Thanks @texasdiver...have you noticed a noticeable decrease in your utility bills with this pump?

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Valdeselad wrote:
texasdiver wrote:You can pull the pump off and bring it to an electric motor shop and have them test it. They may be able to fix it for a reasonable fee. I was able to do that the first time I had a pump burn out and paid about $50 to have the motor fixed.

Thanks @texasdiver...have you noticed a noticeable decrease in your utility bills with this pump?
Not really but I have a 3500 sf house in Central Texas so our main summer electrical use is air conditioning and it really varies based on how much we are home during the summer and what the ambient temperature is. I haven't really tried to isolate the pump. You could do the math to by looking at the pumps amperage and comparing it to others.