Problem using Google Voice with Consumer Cellular

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Problem using Google Voice with Consumer Cellular

Post by Browser » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:50 pm

I recently decided to try out Consumer Cellular prepaid MVNO cellphone service. I have a Google Voice phone number that I use as my primary phone number and set up my Consumer Cellular number as a forwarding number in my Google Voice account. For some reason, this won't work because the Consumer Cellular number is automatically de-selected as a forwarding number. Those familiar with GV will recognize that a checkmark has to be placed in the box in front of the forwarding numbers that you want activated in GV. The checkmark keeps spontaneously disappearing every time I set this up and log off my GV account. As a result, I can't get any calls placed to my GV number on my Consumer Cellular cellphone. I've gone through this process dozens of times and haven't been able to solve it or find any information in a web search. It does not happen with my other GV forwarding number, which is to a phone using AirVoice Wireless instead of Consumer Cellular, so it seems to be something specific to Consumer Cellular. Thought I'd post to see if there is anyone else out there who has tried using Google Voice with a Consumer Cellular forwarding number and if they have experienced the same problem and might know of a fix.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

vkfu

Re: Problem using Google Voice with Consumer Cellular

Post by vkfu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

I have my Google Voice number forward calls to a Consumer Cellular number. However, I set this up before I ported the number from AT&T to Consumer Cellular.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm

vkfu wrote:I have my Google Voice number forward calls to a Consumer Cellular number. However, I set this up before I ported the number from AT&T to Consumer Cellular.
I simply got a new number from Consumer Cellular. Then I've tried to set up GV to forward calls from my GV number to this new Consumer Cellular number. GV keeps de-selecting (unchecking) it for some reason and it won't work. Interesting to know that you are able to forward GV calls to your Consumer Cellular number.

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 am

One of those dumb suggestions like rebooting your pc, but you don't have any apps that modify the gv settings do you? I have a few different apps that modify active phones in gv and could easily see someone previously setting it up and forgetting.

Otherwise I have nothing. Have you checked any consumer cellular or Google products forums?

Browser

Post by Browser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:44 am

nordlead wrote:One of those dumb suggestions like rebooting your pc, but you don't have any apps that modify the gv settings do you? I have a few different apps that modify active phones in gv and could easily see someone previously setting it up and forgetting.

Otherwise I have nothing. Have you checked any consumer cellular or Google products forums?
Have spent hours searching forums for the problem but have found nothing. Have contacted consumer cellular and waiting for a response from them. A bafflement.

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:58 am

Why did you contact Consumer Cellular? They do not run google voice, nor do they control anything about the google voice application or settings.

If Google won't let you select that number, that's a google problem.

Can you use the google voice app on your phone to call outbound?

There are telecoms you'll find occasionally who don't work well with forwarding, and you'll also find forwarding issues within telecoms (usually internal equipment settings they have to fix).

It's possible that Google knows this and then doesn't allow forwarding to the number, but google would have to tell you why they aren't allowing this setting.

vkfu

Post by vkfu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Call forwarding to my Consumer Cellular number works fine. So it's probably not a telecom internal equipment issue. Did you successfully verify your Consumer Cellular number with Google Voice?

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:00 am

bump... can GV still not forward calls to your Consumer Cellular number Browser?

Thanks,
Anakin

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:09 pm

anakinskywalker wrote:bump... can GV still not forward calls to your Consumer Cellular number Browser?

Thanks,
Anakin
Google Voice is one strange beast. In GV, you set up your forwarding phone numbers - those are the numbers that will ring when the GV number is called. There is a checkbox by each forwarding number to let you select or un-select forwarding numbers. What kept happening is that GV kept spontaneously unselecting my CC phone number. I had added that number to my original GV setup. I never could get it to stop doing that and eventually wound up having to create a completely new Google Voice account and start from scratch. Once I did that things started working appropriately. As an aside, I initially set up GV to handle my voicemail. Then I wanted to change that so the voicemail would be handled by CC instead. So, I went through the process of deactivating the GV voicemail setup. I even deleted the CC forwarding number and re-entered it from scratch again. However, GV has never deactivated voice mail and it still goes through GV even though it's not set up to do so. It seems once things are set up in a particular configuration, GV remembers that forever. To alter things you need to create a new GV account and start over from scratch with that account. If anyone understands this, please let me know what the *&%$ is going on!

anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Browser wrote:
anakinskywalker wrote:bump... can GV still not forward calls to your Consumer Cellular number Browser?

Thanks,
Anakin
Google Voice is one strange beast. In GV, you set up your forwarding phone numbers - those are the numbers that will ring when the GV number is called. There is a checkbox by each forwarding number to let you select or un-select forwarding numbers. What kept happening is that GV kept spontaneously unselecting my CC phone number. I had added that number to my original GV setup. I never could get it to stop doing that and eventually wound up having to create a completely new Google Voice account and start from scratch. Once I did that things started working appropriately. As an aside, I initially set up GV to handle my voicemail. Then I wanted to change that so the voicemail would be handled by CC instead. So, I went through the process of deactivating the GV voicemail setup. I even deleted the CC forwarding number and re-entered it from scratch again. However, GV has never deactivated voice mail and it still goes through GV even though it's not set up to do so. It seems once things are set up in a particular configuration, GV remembers that forever. To alter things you need to create a new GV account and start over from scratch with that account. If anyone understands this, please let me know what the *&%$ is going on!
Weird... Never seen anything like this in forwarding GV to my ATT cell, Vonage landline (old) and new Ooma landline... Glad it forwards calls to CC now... At least that rules out any issue on the CC end...

Anakin