Best Movies of 2013

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jginseattle

Re: Best Movies of 2013

Post by jginseattle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 pm

I recently saw 12 Years a Slave and I think that it's truly the best film of 2013.

Captain Phillips is also a very fine and exciting movie.

American In Korea

Post by American In Korea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am

Fruitvale station, are you kidding me?

Summed up in a sentence: Wallace gets shot. Again.

12 years a slave had great acting, as did Wolf of Wall Street.

Don Jon was very, very good, and overlooked by a lot I think, but maybe not up there with the BEST.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 am

denovo wrote:no trekkies here: Star Trek: Into the Darkness..... the star trek movie curse was broken
Seriously shouty. Action substituting for plot. Oh boy here comes another special effect...

The characters are developing nicely and JJ Abrams should have credit for that (as well as the actors). The plot? Echhh... Benedict Cumberbatch does, of course, steal it (but he does that whenever he is on screen).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 am

tadamsmar wrote:
Calm Man wrote:I saw most of those. I am sad to say that if I did not go to a single movie this year I am not certain that my life would be any less well off. The quality just seems to get worse. I saw Wolf of Wall Street. I am no prude and have been in plenty of locker rooms. But the cursing and sex, it just bothered me. I am close to not bothering anymore, maybe getting Showtime or HBO and being done with it. What a shame.
I think you need to cut it some slack, because it's based on a true story. After we saw it, my wife and I researched it a bit, and I have concluded that all the locker room stuff was just part of the true story. Less locker room, less fidelity to the truth.

It's kind of amazing, I don't feel comfortable discussing the details, but some of the grossest stuff in the movie can be sourced to actual events via multiple sources.

I think the facts gave the screenwriter license to tell a stranger than fiction story. I don't think anyone would write fiction about Wall Street that is that unbelievable and outrageous.
Yes I think that stuff is all true. They did behave like that.

I have this sense the Boiler Room, a far smaller and more understated film, actually tells the same story better?

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:18 am

SGM wrote:Nebraska was very good and true to life. I know several octogenarians who are convinced they have won a lottery. Unfortunately, they gave money to scam artists.

American Hustle was very interesting and true to life. A boyhood friend will be getting out of state prison in July of 2018 for promising to obtain loans to troubled businessmen and charged from $5,000 to $250,000 for obtaining loans. The loans of course were never obtained. He also pulled a gun out on a Mafioso and owned multiple dry cleaners much like the leading character in the movie.
I am not sure how true American Hustle is to actual events.

The movie could have done with some editing, but I thought some of the acting (especially Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner) was fantastic. Given the role she had to play, I thought Amy Adams did a fantastic job.

The movie it most reminded me of was 'The Sting' with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. The 1970s sets, hairstyles etc. were very good.

There is a movie in trailer about a couple who started holding up Mob card games in Queens (?) with Uzis. Then they stole what turned out to be an organization chart for the whole Mob in that area. At which point a frantic scramble started between the Mob and the FBI to get it back. Apparently based on a true story.

I think people use dry cleaners as a classic front for money laundering-- classic cash business. Minicabs (taxi companies), clubs, hair salons, dry cleaners.

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:24 am

Valuethinker wrote:
SGM wrote:There is a movie in trailer about a couple who started holding up Mob card games in Queens (?) with Uzis. Then they stole what turned out to be an organization chart for the whole Mob in that area. At which point a frantic scramble started between the Mob and the FBI to get it back. Apparently based on a true story.

I think people use dry cleaners as a classic front for money laundering-- classic cash business. Minicabs (taxi companies), clubs, hair salons, dry cleaners.
I'd be interested in the name of the film if you think of it, VT. Having worked several money laundering cases and being somewhat familiar with many of the denizens from the area. (Thanks in advance.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

uglystickrules

Post by uglystickrules » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 am

The Place Beyond the Pines
The Wolf of Wall Street
Mud
Dallas Buyers Club
Prisoners

Yet to see but want to:
Gravity
Nebraska
Her
Lone Survivor
Fruitvale Station

Thought were overrated and/or not that great:
The Way Way Back (not into the mumblecore genre so much)
American Hustle (Christian Bale delivered as usual, I think Amy Adams is wayyy overrated)
The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug (Smaug was the only great treat)

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am

Valuethinker on 'American Hustle' wrote: ...but I thought some of the acting (especially Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner) was fantastic. Given the role she had to play, I thought Amy Adams did a fantastic job.

I loved this movie, and yes, wonderful characters with rich interplay. I'd read there was a lot of freedom given to the actors with the dialogue, and whilst director David O. Russell was warned this could change the tone, he thought it added depth. It was a good call.

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 am

In order (yet to see 12 years a slave):

Before Midnight - LInklater is the most under-appreciated director around at present, doing things that none of his peers can approach. I am eager to see his newest release
Her
American Hustle
Inside Llewin Davis
Gravity

Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 am

Many people would right off the comments of an older man as simply grumpiness, but I think my long window of observation and my wide range of interest in movie genre provides perspective. Am I the only one who thinks that Hollywood has lost all sense of creativity? And to hear younger people comment that a certain movie was great makes me think they haven't seen many good movies.

It has led me to one conclusion: that the creativity in writing, acting, directing, producing is in short supply these days with movies.
Now if you want to talk about TV shows in the last decade, I have really been amazed at the quality. I've seen Lost, Breaking Bad, Grimm, Suits, Heroes, Firefly, Dexter, Jericho, and others during the last year. Enjoyed all of the shows, although some did drop off in quality in later seasons. I would take the first season of any of these shows over any movie I've seen in the last two years.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Just saw "Nebraska" tonight. Excellent for many reasons:

Jerrybaby wrote;
It has led me to one conclusion: that the creativity in writing, acting, directing, producing is in short supply these days with movies.
Agree with you,but "Nebraska' is one those "in short supply these days"
Last edited by joe8d on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best, | Joe

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Kerdaboy wrote:Frozen.
Saw it, liked it, BUT ... I thought "Tangled" (another princess movie) superior.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:31 am

Weakish year for movies IMO. Captain Phillips was good but not spectacular. Wolf of Wall Street was too long and a little too raunchy and I'm no prude. Would compare it to the violence in Django unchained: just a little too over the top for my taste. Beyond the pines fell off in the second half. I'll be honest, I don't have a strong desire to see American hustle (told by several people it was not worth the hype) or 12 years a slave, and I feel like Gravity would have to be seen in the theatre to be appreciated. Not to be Gene Siskel negative but I thought 2012 was vastly superior.

Edit add: movies HAVE gotten considerably worse. It's not everyone's imagination. I did a little investigating to try to figure out why and the reason is the global box office. Everyone's trying to make a big score and the movies with the simplest plots do the best translated across languages and cultures (ie giant robots chasing people, movies with super heroes, slapstick humor). Smartly written screenplays just don't play well overseas. Studios spend all their time trying to please the world, not just us in the USA anymore.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

sogm

Post by sogm » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 am

Headhunters (Norsk)
This is one to have easily missed, subtitles, one of my all time favorites.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 am

Kerdaboy wrote:Frozen.
+2

John

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:33 am

sogm wrote:Headhunters (Norsk)
This is one to have easily missed, subtitles, one of my all time favorites.
I saw this, and it was very good if somewhat out there violent, but it had to be at least three years ago that I saw it.
Gordon

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 am

I really enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:41 am

Blue Jasmine was excellent.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

DesertOasis

Post by DesertOasis » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Europa Report is a nice little sleeper sci-fi movie. A realistic story told in a documentary style without big name stars or melodrama. I believe that NASA was involved as a consultant on the movie.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 am

2013 was an odd year for my take on movies. I really, really enjoyed The Secret Life of Walter Mitty when most people said they didn't. For some reason it made me feel good about life.

I thought Catching Fire; the Hunger Games was exceptionally well made. I like the story as well, but I thought it was really well made from a viewing perspective.

Really didn't like was lone survivor, I found myself questioning a lot of it - no reason really, and it was really tough to watch. Did not like Gravity at all.

Yet to watch 12 years a slave, her, capt phillips, or dallas buyers club.

musbane

Post by musbane » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:23 am

How about The Broken Circle?
Belgian bluegrass tear jerker.

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Really didn't like was lone survivor, I found myself questioning a lot of it - no reason really, and it was really tough to watch.
Yes, it was tough to watch. It was supposed to be tough to watch. These American servicemen chose to put themselves through a training regimen of unbelievable rigor to serve their country. I believe the movie was a reasonably accurate representation of the reality of the mission it depicted. After all, the actual lone survivor participated in the production of the movie. As to "questioning a lot of it" - perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact that “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” (often attributed to George Orwell).

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm

02sbxstr wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
Really didn't like was lone survivor, I found myself questioning a lot of it - no reason really, and it was really tough to watch.
Yes, it was tough to watch. It was supposed to be tough to watch. These American servicemen chose to put themselves through a training regimen of unbelievable rigor to serve their country. I believe the movie was a reasonably accurate representation of the reality of the mission it depicted. After all, the actual lone survivor participated in the production of the movie. As to "questioning a lot of it" - perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact that “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” (often attributed to George Orwell).
You don't know me, but 3504PIR = 3d Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82d Airborne Division whom I served with in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I think I have as much right to comment as anyone.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 pm

02sbxstr wrote:
3504PIR wrote: As to "questioning a lot of it" - perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact that “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” (often attributed to George Orwell).
The story was exaggerated somewhat from the original report to the book, then further exaggerated for the movie. There are scenes in the movie which simply didn't happen and some other details that were changed. That being said, it is an incredible story and I found the film to be very well done.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Edit add: movies HAVE gotten considerably worse. It's not everyone's imagination. I did a little investigating to try to figure out why and the reason is the global box office. Everyone's trying to make a big score and the movies with the simplest plots do the best translated across languages and cultures (ie giant robots chasing people, movies with super heroes, slapstick humor). Smartly written screenplays just don't play well overseas. Studios spend all their time trying to please the world, not just us in the USA anymore.
Agree.
All the Best, | Joe

GenXer

Post by GenXer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Haven't seen mentioned my absolute favorite from 2013: Short Term 12 with John Gallagher, Jr. (Newsroom) and Brie Larson. Far better .

Also really enjoyed In A World with Lake Bell, Ken Marino, Demetri Martin, and Rob Corddry. Comedy about the world of voiceover actors in L.A.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 pm

stoptothink wrote:
02sbxstr wrote:
3504PIR wrote: As to "questioning a lot of it" - perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact that “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” (often attributed to George Orwell).
The story was exaggerated somewhat from the original report to the book, then further exaggerated for the movie. There are scenes in the movie which simply didn't happen and some other details that were changed. That being said, it is an incredible story and I found the film to be very well done.
fwiw the quote thingy has me stating the line about "perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact..."

which if you check the text above was clearly not me. I've seen this happen before but wanted to ensure the record was straight.

I've heard the story was adjusted some, but at the end of the day, it was one person's account with limited witnesses.

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Just saw Bethlehem over the weekend, which won best film at the 2013 Israeli Oscars and was Israel's entrant for best foreign film. It tells the story of the relationship between an Israeli secret service officer and his teenage Palestinian informant. Very powerful film and highly recommended.

SAM

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:00 pm

3504PIR wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
02sbxstr wrote:
fwiw the quote thingy has me stating the line about "perhaps you are uncomfortable with the fact..."

which if you check the text above was clearly not me. I've seen this happen before but wanted to ensure the record was straight.

I've heard the story was adjusted some, but at the end of the day, it was one person's account with limited witnesses.
Not sure how that happened, was definitely responding to 02sbxstr. I agree with you. There are a myriad of inaccuracies in the movie and a lot of the prominent scenes simply did not occur http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... _berg.html. That was only addressing the inaccuracies between the book and movie, there were also major changes from the official report to the book. The story has been stretched, a lot. It was entertainment, based on a true story, but hardly a true story. I enjoyed it for its entertainment value. I thought it was pretty intense and well done, but had enough background knowledge to realize a lot of it wasn't factually accurate.

I have a brother who is a former Ranger, he refused to even see the movie after reading the book.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 am

You're brother was smarter than I.

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:17 am

NeedToRetire wrote:
I saw Gravity, one of the top movie according to the critics. I just do not understand, for sure it must be me. My take: superb photography, but silly (understatement!) plot.
I agree. I guess I know too much about orbital mechanics. The effects were great and the movie was entertaining enough, but a bit over dramatic and ridiculous. I don't see the whole "one of the best movies of the year" in this one.
I suggest you forget about this movie for now, then watch it again some time later. You may see something that you do not see the first time.
I didn't understand "Forrest Gump" when I first watched it. I now keep coming back to watch it again and again.
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

Mandela
The Butler
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

oragne lovre wrote:
NeedToRetire wrote:
I didn't understand "Forrest Gump" when I first watched it. I now keep coming back to watch it again and again.
The book is very good too.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Pacific wrote:
NeedToRetire wrote:
I saw Gravity, one of the top movie according to the critics. I just do not understand, for sure it must be me. My take: superb photography, but silly (understatement!) plot.
I agree. I guess I know too much about orbital mechanics. The effects were great and the movie was entertaining enough, but a bit over dramatic and ridiculous. I don't see the whole "one of the best movies of the year" in this one.
The "effects" included numerous (and obvious) views of Sandra Bullock's legs. Either she has surprisingly great legs or Gravity deserves an Oscar for "special" effects!
Those legs, I mean, Sandra Bullock will earn an astronomical sum of money from the movie.

Mike