Non-retirees: Envisioning Retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
EternalOptimist

Non-retirees: Envisioning Retirement

Post by EternalOptimist » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 am

I'm 64 and retired. Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired. I was wondering what those who are working think retirement is like. Do you 'aspire' to retirement, what are it's compelling benefits and what would you be doing differently than you are doing now?
"When nothing goes right....go left"

VictoriaF

Re: Non-retirees: Envisioning Retirement

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 am

EternalOptimist wrote:I'm 64 and retired. Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired. I was wondering what those who are working think retirement is like. Do you 'aspire' to retirement, what are it's compelling benefits and what would you be doing differently than you are doing now?
I am on the verge of retirement. I can do it on Monday, but I will wait a bit longer for a variety of minor reasons.

In my mind, retirement will provide me with the freedom to spend my time. The two things I am particularly interested in are travel and independent studies. I do both of these while working, but the more I do them the more I want to do them, and the work is on the way.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:18 am

I'm 50 with 3 kids ages 7, 10, and 15. For my wife and me, retirement looms off in the distant future when we the kids are all through college and we finally have only ourselves to look after. Even if we are still working, it will feel like retirement I think with no kids around.

My wife actually wants to hit the road and do some part-time locum tenens type work when we finally have all the kids out of the house so retirement for us will likely mean traveling and exploring while remaining partially employed. We are looking forward to the freedom to travel without having to juggle so many schedules.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 am

I plan on retiring in 1.5 years but can't say that I "envy" those friends who have, mainly because most have not been financially prepared, and because I believe envy is a destructive emotion. I do have plans however and marvel at those who say they have nothing to do in retirement, or those who fear their impending retirement for the same reasons. I have a dear friend who as soon as he passed FRA was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. His main regret is that he had to quit work and looks forward to recovery so he can rejoin the workforce.

I have both physical and non-physical "hobbies" to fill my time, and fortunately have a wife who shares my interests, and with whom I (almost) never argue. I went from 6 weeks of vacation a year to 1 week a year for the last 5 years, so you can imagine my desire to leave the rat race.

We kayak fish in fresh water, love baseball, enjoy going to the movies and traveling. I write fiction short stories, and am halfway through my first novel. I also write non-fiction articles. This latter activity was seriously curtailed upon my retirement from my employment of 31 years in early 2009 because of the demands of my new job, but the ideas keep coming so I look forward to having the time to pursue them. Writing is a fairly common resolution for aspiring retirees, but I intend to carry through with it.

My children and grandchildren are also a joy and I look forward to being more involved in their lives when possible.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 am

I'm 38. When I think about retirement, what I really think about is the option to do just about whatever I want to do with my time. So I'm not so much looking forward to not working as I am looking forward to the point at which I can fully choose not to work at all, if that's what I want to do.

As far as what I want to do when I'm not working, I think about three things: my parents have been retired for about a decade, and I think about how they spend their days, and they seem happy. I also think about what I do on weekends: read, day trips, go to the gym, projects around the house, errands, etc. And then I think about times in my life when I have had extended time off from work and what I did to fill up my time then.

But at 38 it seems far enough away that I'm not looking forward to no longer working--I'm just looking forward to knowing that if I don't want to work anymore I can choose something else instead.

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am

EternalOptimist wrote:I'm 64 and retired. Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired. I was wondering what those who are working think retirement is like. Do you 'aspire' to retirement, what are it's compelling benefits and what would you be doing differently than you are doing now?
I don't envy people for anything so for me, anticipating retirement is a completely personal issue.

For the last four years I felt retirement was always two years away, but I never feel comfortable that we have enough put away to pull the plug on working. My job is not the kind that I could do part-time after retirement and my other skills don't translate to meaningful part-time work - so if I retire, I don't imagine I have a shot of bringing in more income later other than a min wage job. My wife cannot work. This keeps me concerned about making sure we have enough - really enough. The benefit to me would be freedom from the 9-5 grind and its associated stress. I plan to stay busy with volunteer work which I would love to do and I could easily find enough of that to occupy all my time. I have a friend who has his own small business and does 4-5 out of town business trips a year for a few days (conventions) and he would like for me to go along at his expense just to have the extra help, so I would probably do that as well.

vested1 mentioned doing non-fiction article writing - I think I could do some of that (of course, everyone thinks they can sing, too ;)) but I'm not sure I'd be motivated enough to try to sell it. I should have started that back when print media was still doing well.

RIght now, I think I'm two years away. :)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am

prudent wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired.
I don't envy people for anything so for me, anticipating retirement is a completely personal issue.
I would not read much into the word "envy." People who are really envious don't say it. If someone tells the OP that they envy his retirement, they probably mean it in a nice way.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

I am 34. I plan to retire at 50, so I have sixteen years to go. I must admit, I have no idea what retirement will look like. I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing. I don't know if I'll enjoy having no structure. I don't know if sleeping in every day will get old. Heck, I don't even know if I'll change my mind between now and then. I'm not even married yet or even in a relationship! But... I am totally looking forward to it.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 am

Basically, I envision not having to wake up and go to work 4-5 days a week. Using that freedom to do daily, what I enjoy spending my weekends doing:

I plan on travelling and actually spending time wherever I (we?) end up and not cramming too much in a short period; like my vacations are now. Surfing and climbing road trips along with international travel is what I am hoping for.

Currently 33, plan to retire in 20-22 years - and realistically, realize that things can and may change greatly between now and then.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 am

I do not want to retire. I want to be able to retire. I cannot imagine a life without work, because I love what I do. The one thing that I envy about those who have retired is that they have the feeling (one would hope) of, "That's it. That is all the money I need to know that my wife/husband and I are set for the rest of my days."
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:20 am

VictoriaF wrote:
prudent wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired.
I would not read much into the word "envy." People who are really envious don't say it. If someone tells the OP that they envy his retirement, they probably mean it in a nice way.

Victoria
Yes Victoria, totally

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 am

Those who love their work with no plans to stop are truly blessed

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm

I am 44, and plan to retire at 57 (we could do it earlier, probably, but I want to reach my FRA for the fed health bennies).

Anyway, as far as what we will do: travel, volunteer, play more sports, spend more time outdoors, cook more, etc....basically do what we do at night and on weekends, but without having to worry about going to work the next day. And I am sure we'll take up a few more hobbies, as we both have many interests already....

My parents retired at 57 and for the first 15 years, were probably busier than when they were working! But in a good way...they are 76 now, and my mom isnot in the best of health, but they definitely enjoyed their many happy years not working!

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Great thread.

We're 31 with a mini-me due in April so obviously a REALLY long way from calling it quits, but as many of my fellow Bogleheads have already stated, it's really just having the OPTION to not HAVE to go to work that is what's most appealing to us. I'm sure after a few years of leisurely living life we'll get bored and end up wanting to do something a little more regimented, but having that option to say "Nah, not today", is what I'm most looking forward to.

Well, that and purchasing our dream beach house on the Florida gulf coast :)

Ken.

Post by Ken. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Agreed, having the financial freedom to work or not has got to be a big plus.

I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I want to do right now, so I see my retirement as being similar to what I do now minus my day job.

That plus possibly spending 6 months of the year in the US summer and 6 months in New Zealand :)

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:38 pm

I am planning about 3.5 more years. My wife is quitting her teaching job this year at age 50. Since she is a teacher one thing that will change with her retirement is the ability to travel any time of year. We don't travel a whole lot, but it will be nice to do it at times other than summer.

My wife has a lot of interests to keep her busy. I don't and will probably be bored at times, but my job is boring and tedious so that will not really be a change.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm

15 or so years out and plan on doing what I do now just more of it. I have way to many hobbies that I would like to spend more time enjoying. I guess the best part is I own most of the goodies I need already!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

DouglasDoug

Post by DouglasDoug » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 pm

There is always envy of everything. Myself, I am never envious of workers, but of those who have never worked at all.

DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm 30 and love to ski, mountain bike, hike and fly fish. I am not looking forward to retiring, per se, more like looking forward to being able to be outside every day while still being productive. I imagine I will increase my volunteering time as well which I find very rewarding. Finally, I look forward to spending much more time with family and being less stressed overall.

federal dinosaur

Post by federal dinosaur » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Interesting subject. I am past the date of eligibility for retirement, but I do plan on working for two more years. I do believe that I am ready to retire financially. I just finished reading a book on adjusting to retirement that was recommended by a frequent poster on this forum. It is odd how men have a strong tendency to identify so strongly with their chosen job. I look forward to a less confining use of my time. I was born and raised in a conservative area of the country and the manner by which myself and my siblings approached our jobs has always been a source of family pride.

wacobay

Post by wacobay » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 pm

[quote="VictoriaF"][quote="prudent"][quote="EternalOptimist"]Lately I've come across many people who envy me and wish they were retired.[/quote]

I don't envy people for anything so for me, anticipating retirement is a completely personal issue.[/quote]

Victoria[/quote]
Well said Victoria. I think when people say they are envious of those of us who are retired they just mean they are happy we are happy in our retirement.

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Leaders, good morning/afternoon/evening

Thanks for asking. My first retirement was a few years ago after 31 years of military duty, and I plan to retire for good in 2014--could have retired in 2013 but I could not leave my team hanging, so I will continue current assignment for a few more months. I look forward to not having to get up between 0300-0330 and hit the road. I have no retirement dreams, but I plan to stay mentally and physically busy with my workouts and by doing part time volunteer work as a troops-to-teacher in areas were I can actually make a difference, I will try to give something good back to society, that's the only good thing I can do.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

pointyhead

Post by pointyhead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Great post!
I was wondering what those who are working think retirement is like.
This statement reminds me of when my Father retired. About a year after his retirement my Mother said to me, "I thought he would learn how to cook!" I laughed and asked, "Why did you think that? Did he ever show any interest in cooking." Which he didn't but for some reason she thought he would learn something he never showed interest in. I'm 48 and can retire next year. However, I plan to continue to work as I think it will significantly improve my life in retirement by continuing to work and possibly work part-time in retirement.

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 pm

I can (financially) retire today at 52. I am very lucky to have a job I love so I haven't. But, locally we have a Monday Hikers group that does hikes I lust to go on almost every week. I have now a flexible job but lots of travel and meetings and I manage to get out with them about 2x per year. To me what I envision from retirement is that I can *always* get out with the Monday Hikers...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:05 pm

One of my former co-workers same age as me emailed me a month or two after I retired last March at age 63 and he did indeed use the ENVY word. I didn't bother trying to follow up with him on just why he couldn't do similar before long himself.

I will say as regards my own envisionment a year or three ago that much of my anticipated activities have come to pass and worked out fine. (I'm finishing up an 11-day southern CA trip as I write this.)
Nonetheless, it's not all roses; there's a fair amount of down time in between big events, especially during the cool part of the year if that applies to where one lives.
I'm not saying it's a major problem, just something to be aware of and deal with on your own terms...
Attempted new signature...

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:27 pm

Folks,
Don't make retirement either harder or easier than it is.

The one and only thing retirement provides you is you choice of when to get out of bed in the morning. Priceless. :D

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 am

I am 30 and can't wait to stop working! The sooner, the better. It'll probably be 15-25 years before I can consider it though. I'm in a position and field that pays above average, but it mentally exhausts me so I feel the need to get out sooner rather than later.

As to what I'll do... not banging my head against my desk at work, for starters :)

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:25 am

fishnskiguy wrote:Folks,
Don't make retirement either harder or easier than it is.

The one and only thing retirement provides you is you choice of when to get out of bed in the morning. Priceless. :D

Chris
Yes, done right, retirement is about choices.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Ignis

Post by Ignis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:07 am

Like many others, I look forward more to being financially able to quit whenever I like than actual retirement. When I do retire though (hopefully somewhere between 50-55), I plan to do a lot of long distance hiking (AT, PCT, CDT, Te Araroa in New Zealand, etc.). With any luck, I will spend 5-6 months a year for my first several (or more) years of retirement backpacking, which helps to keep annual expenses low (from experience).

Girino

Post by Girino » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:42 am

My wife and I are about 1-1.5 years away from retiring. We both agree that we love our work, but neither one of us wants the "have to" of a job. So like many others we envision continuing some of what we do now (working with children, teaching, writing) in retirement, but on our own terms, and with more time for our other interests (music, woodworking, travel, and dog training).

Angst

Post by Angst » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 am

EternalOptimist wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
prudent wrote:

Victoria
Yes Victoria, totally
Gee, to each his own! I'd be a little more inclined just to let it pass and not beat up on poor prudent. (Of course I couldn't also let this pass! ☺) His word usage is actually a little more conventional (if maybe a little too literal) than yours! Some people are extremely precise with respect to language.
Google wrote:en·vy
ˈenvē/
noun
noun: envy; plural noun: envies

a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck.
"she felt a twinge of envy for the people on board"
synonyms: jealousy, covetousness; More
resentment, bitterness, discontent;
the green-eyed monster
"a pang of envy"
a person or thing that inspires envy.
"their national health service is the envy of many in Europe"
synonyms: finest, best, pride, top, cream, jewel, flower, leading light, the crème de la crème More
"the firm is the envy of Europe"

verb
verb: envy; 3rd person present: envies; past tense: envied; past participle: envied; gerund or present participle: envying

desire to have a quality, possession, or other desirable attribute belonging to (someone else).
"he envied people who did not have to work on weekends"
synonyms: be envious of, be jealous of; More
begrudge, be resentful of
"I admired and envied her"
desire for oneself (something possessed or enjoyed by another).
"a lifestyle that most of us would envy"
synonyms: covet, desire, aspire to, wish for, want, long for, yearn for, hanker after, crave More

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 am

When I was in my mid to late fifties, I could not wait for retirement. I had a high pressure job with long hours, lots of internal politics and little job satisfaction. I was literally counting the days. Our organization then went through a major reorganization which centralized all IT under me. That changed everything. My job got better, most of the politics went away, I got better performance from my staff, and my job satisfaction greatly improved. I delayed my retirement until age 66 although I could have retired several years earlier.

I think your job situation and satisfaction have a lot to do with your anticipation of retirement. Also, when you know you are in a position to retire, it enables you to look at your work differently. You do not have to stress out on anything and you can quote Johnny Paycheck anytime you are ready. That changed perspective seems to make work more bearable, at least it did for me.

anna_indiana

Post by anna_indiana » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 am

johnep wrote:I think your job situation and satisfaction have a lot to do with your anticipation of retirement.
This. I'm young, and retirement's a long way away, but I only really started thinking about it (and thus taking a sharper look at the state of my retirement accounts) after going through a rough patch at my job this last year. Silver lining, I guess.

There's two potential scenarios I can see when envisioning retirement:

1. Doing about what I do now, but with more choice. Doing my school volunteer work more frequently--three lunchtimes a week, maybe, rather than the once a week I've managed to claw out of my work schedule right now. More travel. Maybe having the energy to do more gardening.

2. Retiring and relocating abroad.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:01 am

EternalOptimist wrote:Those who love their work with no plans to stop are truly blessed
Unfortunately, I've met people that were deluded by their "love of work" and only realized they were mistaken at the end.

http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regre ... Dying.html

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

johnep wrote:Also, when you know you are in a position to retire, it enables you to look at your work differently. You do not have to stress out on anything and you can quote Johnny Paycheck anytime you are ready. That changed perspective seems to make work more bearable, at least it did for me.
That's where I am now. It's like the final honeymoon. It's so good, that it's tempting to linger.

Victoria

brainstem

Post by brainstem » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 am

I work on my own agenda in a salaried position and can accomplish creative things that impact the broader community. That is a nice set up.

My main knock on not retiring is the restrictions on personal travel for fun. I would love a position that would enable me to take 2-4 weeks off every few months then return to full time work. Not exactly easy to find, though telecommuting gives me hope to pull something off in a hybrid kind of way.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Travel with my wife, probably once or twice a year.

Visit grandkids.

Pursue my own research.

Read

Volunteer with local schools on Math/Science programs.

qui

Post by qui » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm 22. As best I can tell, most of the people around me seem to view retirement as an escape from responsibility and a time where you are no longer required to put forth effort. The aspect that seems to carry the most appeal to people my age is not having to go to work. Admittedly, I only hear people mention retirement on days where they don't want to be at work. It is somewhat depressing that retirement, or rather the planning that goes into it, is not a more prominent topic.

Personally, I find the idea of not working to be uncomfortable.

Skiffy

Post by Skiffy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Frankly, dreading what retirement might be. spouse who has been totally consumed with work, with no friends or hobbies and of a crabby personality is not something I look forward to.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Upon retiring, having my wife support me in the style and fashion to which I am accustomed.

Dream a little dream....dream dream dream....
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm about 3 years out from retirement and have no idea of what I will do when I'm actually retired. I have been working in a very stressful job/industry for the past 30 years and look forward to having time to actually think about what I want to do, not what I have to do... I think the first 6 months will be spent doing absolutely nothing but vegging out on the couch :happy I do like the idea of the Monday hiking club posted earlier, I need to find one of those for sure.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Skiffy wrote:Frankly, dreading what retirement might be. spouse who has been totally consumed with work, with no friends or hobbies and of a crabby personality is not something I look forward to.
Honey?? Is that you??? :happy

SGM

Post by SGM » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 pm

I am working part time and experimenting with new hobbies, exercising more and making new friends. I look at retirement as a time to do things with an element of creativity that I did not have the time for in the past. To me retirement is more of a rebirth. Passive activities do not make the grade for me.

I really don't want to quit until I see that I can be as passionate about these new interests as I was about the several careers I had. It is an ongoing conversation I am having with my family and a few friends. When to cut the cord?
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 pm

As of Wednesday I can say "I am planning to retire next year."

When preparing to travel, I get a lot of enjoyment out of the planning. (Half the fun is getting there.) I'm spending a lot of time reading up on retirement, making lists of the many things I might want to do, and researching activities that seem interesting. I enjoy the work I do and know I will miss some aspects of my job, but I am looking forward to having the freedom to do -- or not do -- a lot of different things. Major goal now is to stay healthy!

Post by 555 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:52 am

For me, retirement isn't anything specific. It's retirement. It's light at the end of the tunnel.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:44 am

jgb wrote:Like many others, I look forward more to being financially able to quit whenever I like than actual retirement. When I do retire though (hopefully somewhere between 50-55), I plan to do a lot of long distance hiking (AT, PCT, CDT, Te Araroa in New Zealand, etc.). With any luck, I will spend 5-6 months a year for my first several (or more) years of retirement backpacking, which helps to keep annual expenses low (from experience).
I'm 52 and sold my business in September. The stock transferred to the new owners on January 1st, leaving me with an income for the next several years (from promissory note) but no "real" job.

I live a few minutes from the Appalachian Trail and have started a shuttle service to keep me occupied. I've already hiked the AT and am headed to the PCT on April 20th - going to ADZPCTKO and heading north with the intention of hiking to the northern terminus.

I'm taking 2014 off.

My wife retired at 50 and she's so busy volunteering that it's almost like she has a full time job. Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels and teaching Silver Sneakers at the Y keeps her connected to the community and her passion is Kayaking.... Between that and my backpacking being suddenly thrown together is because I don't leave the house for work every morning isn't a problem.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:27 am

My wife and I are both 58 and I have no specific plans for a date (retirement). I enjoy my sales job, working from my home and traveling to see customers locally about 2x week. I can see doing this for another 5-10 years while slowly tapering down. While I am an employee, in many ways the relationship is more of a contractor. I am pretty much left alone to produce and that is a very desirable relationship for me. As a self motivated person, this is an idea situation.

My father is my blueprint for my retirement. He had a number of activities which kept him busy until his health forced him to slowdown. He gardened, growing not only our food but sold or donated excess. We have already started that. I currently bike, and my wife walks. The first grandchild is 3 months away and I fully expect my wife to become a full time grandmother within a year or so. She doesn't hold my passion for her work.

I read quite a bit, play guitar (badly), and have other hobbies (astronomy, railroad photographer, fishing and have played golf and tennis in the past). I can forsee managing a few accounts, gardening, volunteering at the church and other social agencies, and developing more hobbies and interests. My wife is extremely creative in the kitchen and also artistically.

In other words retirement will be an extention of our current lives. One issue to be addressed is where we will live. NW Indiana is not an ideal location in the winter (12 inches of snow forecast plus a high Monday of -10 degrees). Gotta be somewhere warmer.

Ed

gofigure

Post by gofigure » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 am

I think of retirement as a time that I can take life at my own pace, do the things I want to do. That's not how life is now for me and so I look forward to it being that way.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:01 am

555 wrote:For me, retirement isn't anything specific. It's retirement. It's light at the end of the tunnel.
Hopefully not the white light.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 am

Great personal views, thanks for sharing. I'm retired/64, for me the core has been to 'live my life on my own terms'