Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm trying to get the best price for 5MG tadalafil. I have a prescription from a urologist.
I have a standard Medicare Advantage Plan from Humana. Before I went with them, I called and asked them how much a prescription would cost, and they replied $64 for thirty 5MG tablets. I went to have my prescription filled and the pharmacist said that it could not be filled until the doctor cleared it with Humana. They said that I could go ahead and get the prescription filled for around $225 for the thirty 5 MG tablets. It seems like the cost was $160-180 last year.

I plan to go see the urologist and ask him what to do. Because of Bogleheads' Forum Policies, I want to steer clear of any discussion about medical conditions or solutions.
How can I get the best available deal for this prescription drug?

User avatar
frugaltype
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by frugaltype » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

I looked this up at Granville pharmacy, a Canadian pharmacy I have ordered from before I was on Medicare Plan D. I believe this to be a legitimate pharmacy.

They have Tadalafil in 10 mg as the smallest (it might be a med that can be split, or maybe not). They have 32 10 mg at $85. 16 at $55. The price drops sharply per tablet as the number of tablets increases.

http://www.onlinecanadianpharmacy.com/d ... =Tadalafil

User avatar
drbagel
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:07 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by drbagel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:35 pm

costco has very transparent pricing. According to their website, 30 tadalifil is $185. (5mg strength -edit)

dgdevil
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by dgdevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:41 pm

per goodrx.com, it's about $175 on average.

User avatar
czeckers
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 3:49 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by czeckers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I am continually surprised by how much the cost of specific prescription drugs varies from pharmacy to pharmacy.

Often times an insurance company will contract with a specific mail-order pharmacy where you can get a 90 day supply at a discounted rate. However, most insurers will require you to fill a 30-day supply first, before approving the 90-day supply. I've never gotten a good answer as to why they do this, but I presume they want to make sure that you will stay on the medication and not stop using it because of side effects or whatever before they pay for the 90-day supply.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:50 pm

These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

dgdevil
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by dgdevil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
True. I get my Crestor OTC in Brazil for $20 - a tenth of what it would cost in USA. There's a tiny chance of getting busted at customs.

awval999
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by awval999 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Disclosure: Is a pharmacist

The pharmacist stating that the physician must call the insurance is a prior authorization request. When the pharmacist submitted this claim to the insurance came back with a primary denial which stated that this medication needs a "prior authorization". Before the insurance covers certain medications they ask to know what the diagnosis is and if other therapy has been tried before. The physician has to fax/phone the insurance company and jump through these hoops.

This specific medication is approved for three conditions; two at this specific strength (5mg), and one will not be covered.

Cash prices of medications vary widely between pharmacy chains with no real rhyme or reason. I would call around to different pharmacies and ask what the "cash price" is for 30 tablets. That's going to be your best bet without getting into the specifics of your condition.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

frugaltype: Getting a prescription from Canada is interesting...the prices are better.
drbagel: I checked the Costco price...it was right on.
dgdevil: GoodRx is a comparison site that uses local drugstores...it pays to shop around...it looks like $225 was high....and GoodRx is worth a look!
czeckers: I called my mail order pharmacy...they guessed at a $164 price...I'll have to make another call to verify.
Fat-Tailed Contagion...where should I go on vacation? and dgdevil: I'm only coming back squeaky legal...how do I find out what the rules are?
awval999: Your answer helps me understand what's going on...I'll go see my urologist more enlightened....I'll get a prescription in my hand and work the internet and phone before deciding. Then I'll report back.

THANKS! for the coaching....I have learned!

User avatar
goodenyou
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:57 pm
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by goodenyou » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:24 pm

These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
That's because none of the countries that sell them cheaply did any of the R & D for them. Most of them just rip-off the intellectual property of the companies who invented them.

User avatar
ScarletIris
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by ScarletIris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:34 pm

I use www.weRx.org for patients.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3576
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:28 pm

goodenyou wrote: That's because none of the countries that sell them cheaply did any of the R & D for them. Most of them just rip-off the intellectual property of the companies who invented them.
R&D cost is not the only thing being passed on to consumers by these companies. For example Pfizer spent 7.6B on R&D in 2008, and had a total income of 67.8B.

knopflergrass
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by knopflergrass » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Goodrx.com has had great reviews in national news media and is surging in popularity with my patients. Most all have had great success with it.

User avatar
Kevin M
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Kevin M » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm

With my high deductible plan, I pay out of pocket for all of my prescriptions. I use GoodRX, and usually save quite a bit compared to the retail price at local pharmacies (I usually use CVS, although sometimes I could save a little more by going to a different pharmacy).

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

DTSC
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by DTSC » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 pm

This is what I tell my patients.

Get the cheapest 20 mg pills you can for this drug, then cut them into quarters to save the most money!

Yeah, pharmacists and purists will tell you that you can't do that. "It's not the precise dose." "The drug will lose potency!" they'll exclaim.

Yada yada yada.

This is a lifestyle medication - you'll know right away if it doesn't work! ;-)

dgdevil
Posts: 938
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by dgdevil » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 am

hudson wrote:I'm only coming back squeaky legal...how do I find out what the rules are?
this from the FDA: they "generally" let you slide on a 3-month supply, but you're hardly Pablo Escobar.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparenc ... 194904.htm

User avatar
frugaltype
Posts: 1952
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by frugaltype » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 am

goodenyou wrote:
These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
That's because none of the countries that sell them cheaply did any of the R & D for them. Most of them just rip-off the intellectual property of the companies who invented them.
I used to believe that "justification" for the disparate pricing, until I read a New York Times article about how BigPharma inflates the prices of cancer drugs beyond belief. They quoted employees laughing their heads off about the situation where end of life cancer meds are priced at numbers like (I don't remember the exact amounts) $100,000 a month when the cost is in two digits, so families have to choose between someone living 2-3 more months and not bankrupting the family.

I could make additional comments here, but I'm sure they'd be deleted.

awval999
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by awval999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 am

DTSC wrote:This is what I tell my patients.

Get the cheapest 20 mg pills you can for this drug, then cut them into quarters to save the most money!

Yeah, pharmacists and purists will tell you that you can't do that. "It's not the precise dose." "The drug will lose potency!" they'll exclaim.

Yada yada yada.

This is a lifestyle medication - you'll know right away if it doesn't work! ;-)
This is not true. I would of course tell him to split the pills but I think he may not be using tadalafil for the indication you are thinking. In fact, when I worked in the community I would routinely counsel patients to ask their physician to order the highest strength next time they are in the office and to split them into 1/2s or 1/4s because the cost is the same per pill whatever the strength is.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 am

How hard is it to "move" a prescription from one pharmacy to another...and how is it done?
Or, does one need a new prescription?

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 5614
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by prudent » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 am

hudson wrote:How hard is it to "move" a prescription from one pharmacy to another...and how is it done?
Or, does one need a new prescription?
Done it a couple of times - just went to the new pharmacy with my prescription bottle (the label showed I had refills remaining) and they got it done.

tomd37
Posts: 2834
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by tomd37 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 am

Fortunately I do not have to use prescribed medicines. However a close friend has mentioned that he checked the cost of prescribed medicines at Costco and found out that Costco has certain 'price points' after which the cost dropped significantly. For example a doctor might prescribe a 90-day supply and Costco's price point might be 100. By having his doctor issue a prescription for the same medicine in a quantity of 100 the price dropped significantly. :moneybag
Tom D.

DTSC
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by DTSC » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:15 am

prudent wrote:
hudson wrote:How hard is it to "move" a prescription from one pharmacy to another...and how is it done?
Or, does one need a new prescription?
Done it a couple of times - just went to the new pharmacy with my prescription bottle (the label showed I had refills remaining) and they got it done.
It's very easily done - in fact, the Boglehead thing to do is to wait until they issue coupons enticing you to switch. My wife gets $20 off groceries at Meijer all the time this way.

DTSC
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by DTSC » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 am

awval999 wrote:
DTSC wrote:This is what I tell my patients.

Get the cheapest 20 mg pills you can for this drug, then cut them into quarters to save the most money!

Yeah, pharmacists and purists will tell you that you can't do that. "It's not the precise dose." "The drug will lose potency!" they'll exclaim.

Yada yada yada.

This is a lifestyle medication - you'll know right away if it doesn't work! ;-)
This is not true. I would of course tell him to split the pills but I think he may not be using tadalafil for the indication you are thinking. In fact, when I worked in the community I would routinely counsel patients to ask their physician to order the highest strength next time they are in the office and to split them into 1/2s or 1/4s because the cost is the same per pill whatever the strength is.
Sure, Tadalafil is also used for BPH, but you'll know pretty soon too if it isn't working for you. IMO, Tadalafil is a 3rd line drug for BPH since you can get Terazosin for pennies a dose and Tamsulosin is also available. That's why the company is pushing once daily Cialis so much.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:33 am

I've been researching 5MG Tadalafil at US and Canadian pharmacies. For US pharmacies using http://www.goodrx.com/ or http://werx.org/ the price is about $5.85 per tablet with their coupon using a local pharmacy.

Using http://www.onlinepharmaciescanada.com/ the price is $3.65 per tablet.
Using the same website, the generic, non Eli Lilly version is only 92 cents a tablet if one buys the 10mg tablet and splits it.

Where are the minefields? I know that shipping is ground and takes 10 days or more.
I did a google search for the generic version but can't find any reliable reviews or information.

Therefore, I could buy the generic for a $1 a tab or go buy it down the street for about $6 a tablet....where are the minefields and punji stakes?

User avatar
Kevin M
Posts: 9999
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Kevin M » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Another alternative I discovered is Avia Partners.

The GoodRX price was better at my local Safeway than CVS, which I usually use. However, when the Safeway pharmacist entered the GoodRX numbers, it didn't work; she said that happens sometimes with GoodRX (although it's never happened to me at CVS). So she mentioned Avia Partners, ran it though that way, and it ended up being even less expensive than the GoodRX price, and no coupon to mess around with.

One interesting thing is that when I looked up the local price using the Avia Partners website, it was MUCH more expensive than what they actually charged me--like 10X more.

Next time I get a different prescription refilled, I'll try Safeway+Avia Partners first.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Jack
Posts: 3254
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Jack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 pm

goodenyou wrote:
These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
That's because none of the countries that sell them cheaply did any of the R & D for them. Most of them just rip-off the intellectual property of the companies who invented them.
Three of the top five and six of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies are outside the U.S.

U.S. consumers rank number one as chumps.

User avatar
jupiter_man
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by jupiter_man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/world ... ealth&_r=0

How do you know if the cheaper generics or for that matter any prescription drugs are from Asia ?

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 am

Kevin M wrote:Another alternative I discovered is Avia Partners.

The GoodRX price was better at my local Safeway than CVS, which I usually use. However, when the Safeway pharmacist entered the GoodRX numbers, it didn't work; she said that happens sometimes with GoodRX (although it's never happened to me at CVS). So she mentioned Avia Partners, ran it though that way, and it ended up being even less expensive than the GoodRX price, and no coupon to mess around with.

One interesting thing is that when I looked up the local price using the Avia Partners website, it was MUCH more expensive than what they actually charged me--like 10X more.

Next time I get a different prescription refilled, I'll try Safeway+Avia Partners first.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin! I couldn't get far on Avia's website because there's no service in my state.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:25 am

jupiter_man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/world ... ealth&_r=0

How do you know if the cheaper generics or for that matter any prescription drugs are from Asia ?
Thanks jupiter_man! Useful article! I did not realize that the US got so much of its medicines from overseas.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:37 am

Jack wrote:
goodenyou wrote:
These drugs are very inexpensive if you travel to other countries in this hemisphere.

You could likely get an annual supply for the cost of the vacation.

Just food for thought.
That's because none of the countries that sell them cheaply did any of the R & D for them. Most of them just rip-off the intellectual property of the companies who invented them.
Three of the top five and six of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies are outside the U.S.

U.S. consumers rank number one as chumps.
Thanks Jack! I didn't know that most pharmaceutical companies were outside of the US. I do know that comparing prices and getting the best deal on tadalafil isn't easy. It's easy to go on the internet read reviews and make a good decision on a a healthy meal, a backpacking stove, a mutual fund, or a computer monitor. Reliable information on prescription drugs and related insurance is hard to get. The best information that I've gotten so far is here on Bogleheads.org.

awval999
Posts: 1072
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by awval999 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:55 am

hudson wrote:Where are the minefields? I know that shipping is ground and takes 10 days or more.
I did a google search for the generic version but can't find any reliable reviews or information.
The re-importation of prescription drugs into the United States from Canada is illegal.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... uggested/1

There is an exception where you are allowed to physically bring 90 day supply (or less) into the USA from Canada; but it cannot be shipped.

Odds are customs won't know/care/find-out. But technically it is illegal.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:47 am

I found this article from Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm

and followed information in the article to find a list of not recommended sites: http://www.nabp.net/programs/consumer-p ... nded-sites

I used http://www.pharmacychecker.com to find mapleleafmeds.com which according to CIPA is an active CIPA member....but mapleleafmeds.com is on NABP list of not recommended sites.

Here's the CIPA site: http://www.cipa.com/

Planet Drugs Direct: http://www.planetdrugsdirect.com/ is not on BABP's not recommended list. They offer the Eli Lilly version for about the same as US prices...$6 a tablet; they offer a generic from India for $1 a tablet. (I was wrong...Planet Drugs Direct is not recommended by NABP...maybe all Canadian Pharmacies are not recommended?)
Last edited by hudson on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerrym51
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by gerrym51 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 am

Cialis patent has not expired in us. try to get it prescribed as Adcirca(for another use) or pehaps your MD can get an insurance approval for another use (possibly bph) if not used for ED.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 am

gerrym51 wrote:Cialis patent has not expired in us. try to get it prescribed as Adcirca(for another use) or pehaps your MD can get an insurance approval for another use (possibly bph) if not used for ED.
No where in my web searches did I find Adcirca....that's new. Thanks...useful info!

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 am

awval999 wrote:
hudson wrote:Where are the minefields? I know that shipping is ground and takes 10 days or more.
I did a google search for the generic version but can't find any reliable reviews or information.
The re-importation of prescription drugs into the United States from Canada is illegal.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... uggested/1

There is an exception where you are allowed to physically bring 90 day supply (or less) into the USA from Canada; but it cannot be shipped.

Odds are customs won't know/care/find-out. But technically it is illegal.
Thanks awval999! That's definitely a minefield. I think you are also saying that it is one the law or regulation is not enforced. A number of Bogleheads are getting prescriptions filled from Canada...but I don't have enough information to place an order at this time. Hopefully those in the industry can continue to enlighten us.

Tony
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:20 pm
Location: California

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Tony » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

jupiter_man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/world ... ealth&_r=0

How do you know if the cheaper generics or for that matter any prescription drugs are from Asia ?
I saw that article too. Makes me think twice about getting these cheaper generics which may not be what they're supposed to be....
Tony

gerrym51
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by gerrym51 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm

the largest generic drug manufacturer in thw world is based in Israel-there name is TEVA. generic manufacturers are world wide and have plants wordwide. the problem is not that generics are made in other countries but that you have to know if you are ordering from scam artists. there are scammers in the usa.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12731
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Check out this company and it is located in the US:

wwww.healthwarehouse.com

No insurance needed. They but direct from the drug companies and cut out the middle men.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Tony
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:20 pm
Location: California

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Tony » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 am

gerrym51 wrote:the largest generic drug manufacturer in thw world is based in Israel-there name is TEVA. generic manufacturers are world wide and have plants wordwide. the problem is not that generics are made in other countries but that you have to know if you are ordering from scam artists. there are scammers in the usa.
Do you know how we can find out?
Tony

Penguin
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by Penguin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 am

hudson wrote:How can I get the best available deal for this prescription drug?
You can get a free trial for 30 pills. Unfortunately only once per year.
http://www.cialis.com/Pages/promise-free-trial.aspx
Jon

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 am

I'm going to talk to my doctor before making a decision. My choices are 6 dollars or 2 dollars or 1 dollar a tablet.
I can get US made Eli Lilly's product for $6 a tablet. I can get the so called generic equivalent...made in India...and sold by the following Canadian Pharmacy for about $1 a tablet. http://www.planetdrugsdirect.com/drugs/cialis Other Boglehead contributors say that they trust this company.

Quote from Wikipedia...followed by the link: "Tadalafil is also manufactured and sold under the name of Tadacip by the Indian pharmaceutical company Cipla in doses of 10 mg and 20 mg."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadalafil

The disadvantage of the US product is that it is too expensive....unless I can get my doctor and insurance company to agree that I qualify...which is difficult or impossible....that would be $2 a tablet....affordable.
The disadvantage of the India product is that it could be junk....and in that case maybe I could do all the things consumers do to make it right.
$6 or $2 or $1 ???

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 am

Penguin wrote:
hudson wrote:How can I get the best available deal for this prescription drug?
You can get a free trial for 30 pills. Unfortunately only once per year.
http://www.cialis.com/Pages/promise-free-trial.aspx
This is a great deal! Don't know if all pharmacists will accept as there is a problem with coupons and Medicare....another contributor in another discussion said "ask the pharmacist if he/she will run it as a cash purchase?"

pshonore
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by pshonore » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 am

hudson wrote:
Penguin wrote:
hudson wrote:How can I get the best available deal for this prescription drug?
You can get a free trial for 30 pills. Unfortunately only once per year.
http://www.cialis.com/Pages/promise-free-trial.aspx
This is a great deal! Don't know if all pharmacists will accept as there is a problem with coupons and Medicare....another contributor in another discussion said "ask the pharmacist if he/she will run it as a cash purchase?"
Note that is the "maintenance" dose which is taken every day. I believe you also opt for 3 pills of regular Cialis instead. And to switch gears, some generics work better than others. You may want google that for a specific drug. For example, Mylan Labs supposedly makes the "best" generic for Flomax (tamsulosin). Of course the evidence is anecdotal.

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 am

pshonore wrote:
hudson wrote:
Penguin wrote:
hudson wrote:How can I get the best available deal for this prescription drug?
You can get a free trial for 30 pills. Unfortunately only once per year.
http://www.cialis.com/Pages/promise-free-trial.aspx
This is a great deal! Don't know if all pharmacists will accept as there is a problem with coupons and Medicare....another contributor in another discussion said "ask the pharmacist if he/she will run it as a cash purchase?"
Note that is the "maintenance" dose which is taken every day. I believe you also opt for 3 pills of regular Cialis instead. And to switch gears, some generics work better than others. You may want google that for a specific drug. For example, Mylan Labs supposedly makes the "best" generic for Flomax (tamsulosin). Of course the evidence is anecdotal.
Thanks pshonore! I didn't realize there was a "best" generic. What website has this information? When I did a Google search, it only took me to questionable online drug stores.

pshonore
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by pshonore » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 am

Google "tadalafil best generic". You may have to sort through lots of stuff at different sites.

gerrym51
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by gerrym51 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Cialis patent in usa is NOT expired. can only get brand in usa

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:05 pm

pshonore wrote:Google "tadalafil best generic". You may have to sort through lots of stuff at different sites.
pshonore, I didn't find any "serious" sites. The only other company that I've read that has a generic is CIPA our of India...and these are available through Canadian Pharmacies.
gerrym51, I agree with your statement. I'm considering ordering the generic made by CIPA of India...but it's tough finding reliable information.

gerrym51
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by gerrym51 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm

hudson wrote:
pshonore wrote:Google "tadalafil best generic". You may have to sort through lots of stuff at different sites.
pshonore, I didn't find any "serious" sites. The only other company that I've read that has a generic is CIPA our of India...and these are available through Canadian Pharmacies.
gerrym51, I agree with your statement. I'm considering ordering the generic made by CIPA of India...but it's tough finding reliable information.

ordering the generic does not matter made by whom if it is a legit manufacturer. as i said before the problem is scam artists that ell you it's legit

also if you are not using it for ED your doctor should be able to get approval for your insurance to pay(he must submit legit documentation). If it is for ED you are out of luck

hudson
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by hudson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 am

gerrym51 wrote:
hudson wrote:
pshonore wrote:Google "tadalafil best generic". You may have to sort through lots of stuff at different sites.
pshonore, I didn't find any "serious" sites. The only other company that I've read that has a generic is CIPA our of India...and these are available through Canadian Pharmacies.
gerrym51, I agree with your statement. I'm considering ordering the generic made by CIPA of India...but it's tough finding reliable information.

ordering the generic does not matter made by whom if it is a legit manufacturer. as i said before the problem is scam artists that ell you it's legit

also if you are not using it for ED your doctor should be able to get approval for your insurance to pay(he must submit legit documentation). If it is for ED you are out of luck
I saw my urologist yesterday; his only comment about Canadian Pharmacies is that you can't be 100% sure. He diagnosed me as having the condition that qualifies for my insurance....but that alone doesn't get my prescription refilled. He sent my prescription to the usual/local US pharmacy...they emailed me saying "Your ...pharmacy's... pharmacist needed to contact your doctor for additional information concerning your prescription. We will continue processing your prescription once the required information is obtained."

I'm guessing that means that my urologist needs to fill out a form and send it to the insurance company and the insurance company will give approval or won't give approval to the pharmacy.

gerrym51
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Getting Best Price for a Prescription Drug

Post by gerrym51 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:37 pm

hudson wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:
hudson wrote:
pshonore wrote:Google "tadalafil best generic". You may have to sort through lots of stuff at different sites.
pshonore, I didn't find any "serious" sites. The only other company that I've read that has a generic is CIPA our of India...and these are available through Canadian Pharmacies.
gerrym51, I agree with your statement. I'm considering ordering the generic made by CIPA of India...but it's tough finding reliable information.

ordering the generic does not matter made by whom if it is a legit manufacturer. as i said before the problem is scam artists that ell you it's legit

also if you are not using it for ED your doctor should be able to get approval for your insurance to pay(he must submit legit documentation). If it is for ED you are out of luck
I saw my urologist yesterday; his only comment about Canadian Pharmacies is that you can't be 100% sure. He diagnosed me as having the condition that qualifies for my insurance....but that alone doesn't get my prescription refilled. He sent my prescription to the usual/local US pharmacy...they emailed me saying "Your ...pharmacy's... pharmacist needed to contact your doctor for additional information concerning your prescription. We will continue processing your prescription once the required information is obtained."

I'm guessing that means that my urologist needs to fill out a form and send it to the insurance company and the insurance company will give approval or won't give approval to the pharmacy.
i'm a pharmacist. what the doctor has to do is sumbit documentation proving you need the drug for NON-ED reasons. If it ED it's not going to be approved

Post Reply