Adopting a rescue greyhound

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anncatchingup

Adopting a rescue greyhound

Post by anncatchingup »

My husband and I have no pets. He retired this year and I plan to retire next year. We're thinking of adopting a rescue greyhound. We've been interested in getting a rescue dog for quite awhile and have done some research on this breed in particular. Haven't done it before when we were both working, because we didn't want to leave any animal alone all day while we were at work. Does anyone have any tips or experience with greyhounds they could share? Or advice in general?

Thanks.

Ann
hicabob

Re: Adopting a rescue greyhound

Post by hicabob »

My sister had one - nice dog but very timid. I have seen other rescue GH's that were very social so perhaps best to "interview" a few dogs before you pick?
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Very fragile legs and need to run a lot and get lots of exercise. They are great dogs though.
windhog

Post by windhog »

I am not a dog owner, but have considered taking on a retired racing dog. I have a niece who has several years of experience with fostering and adopting these dogs and when I mentioned my interest, she suggested a book. The book, Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan was a good read and provided excellent advice. I had no idea how important it is to keep a sight hound leashed outside of a safe (fenced) environment. I hope this helps.

Paul
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

I have never owned one, but have talked to a few people with one. If I remember correctly, they are fairly good pets. They were breed to be handled by multiple people, so are generally a friendly dog. This trait also makes them poor guard dogs. They rarely balk. Despite their racing origin, most of the ones I encountered are couch potatoes that like to hang around on couches.

If I remember correctly, gray hounds are used to living in crates. Most will want to live in one. If you walk them, they have to be leashed since they may run away at 30 mph and get lost and never been seen again.

Paul
G12

Post by G12 »

paulsiu wrote:Despite their racing origin, most of the ones I encountered are couch potatoes that like to hang around on couches.
That has been my experience around them. They are nothing like, say, a Rhodesian Ridgeback that requires a ton of extended exercise, rather they like short bursts of fast exercise and can be very good indoor companions.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Just don't add a cat to the mix later, the cat looks to close to a rabbit :wink: My wife and I wanted to get a grey hound but were advised not to as we/she has cats.

The Whippet is a neat dog to, they are a race dog as well.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
cfs

Post by cfs »

Leaders, good morning/afternoon/evening

Adopting a greyhound? Thanks for asking !!! The greyhound is the only class of dogs mentioned in the Bible (King James version, Proverbs 30:29-31). Our first dog was an adopted greyhound, and Operation Greyhound is on top of our donations listing. [OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

Thanks for reading and have a productive 2014 (and a FUN one with your adopted greyhound).

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

From their website:

Why Adopt A Greyhound?

They are clean, easy to care for and gentle; even a child can handle a Greyhound.
They give an unlimited amount of love, they are very sensitive dogs.
They are kennel broken, and in most cases are housebroken very easily.
They are faithful and loyal and adore their new adoptive families.
They love and enjoy children and seniors, are a wonderful companion for the entire family.
They are entertaining and amusing.
They are young (between 18 months and 5 years), healthy, leash-trained, and quickly bond to their new family.
Their life expectancy is 12 to 14 years.
They don't need more exercise than other breeds. A daily walk will do.
They are very social and can learn to live with other pets in your family.
They come in many colors and stand between 23 and 31 inches tall at the shoulder and weigh between 45 and 90 pounds.
They are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, given a dental exam, wormed, blood tested for tick-diseases and groomed before the adoption.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I have had friends with adopted Greyhounds. Exercise is generally very short bursts with great intensity with the bulk of the time on the couch. When I say exercise, these dogs would run about 300-400 yards MAX and that was it.

Compare that with the local black lab that is still going strong after 50 throws.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Since we are citing history, Alexander the Great's favorite dog Peritas could have been a greyhound. The dog died after saving Alexander the Great life. He then named a city after Peritas.

Paul
esetter

Post by esetter »

Our adopted greyhound was the best dog we ever owned. Although they do like short sprints in an enclosed backyard, they are basically couch potatoes. I'll second the recommendation on Cynthia Branigan's book.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

My mother ALWAYS wanted to adopt a greyhound but we somehow always ended up rescuing something else before we had a chance. My understanding follows much of what others have said - they are excellent house dogs and will run VERY fast VERY briefly and then enjoy curling up on the couch the rest of the time.

I heard that they have to learn how to walk up and down stairs because they are used to ramps, but I'm not sure if that is apocryphal.

Can someone with first hand experience tell me if that's just an old wives "tail?" (Terrible pun intended!)
esetter

Post by esetter »

It's true that they have to learn how to go up and down stairs, but they can learn to do it. Sitting is also not a natural position for them.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

We have had three retired racers. The current one is very timid around other dogs but loving with people. They do not require a lot of exercise. In good weather I run him once a day. He's good for about 15-20 seconds. If you get a very young one, say about two, it will generally mean they were not a good runner or they were not interested in running. Greyhounds as a breed will sleep up to 18 hours a day. They have little to no body fat, so little doggy smell, which means that they are susceptible to extremes in temperature. They will need a coat if you live in a cold weather area. Some have, and some do not have, strong hunting instincts so some may not be cat friendly. That will be noted by the adoption group. They are retired athletes, and like many human athletes, the dogs that come from years on the tracks may be somewhat beat up--scars; broken bones. Our current greyhound had 65 races and his career ended when he fractured a hock. He has a rib sticking out that was obviously broken at one time. The rescue group paid all the associated medical costs for the fractured hock. The greyhound will come altered. Our dog is a male. Females can be 20 pounds or more lighter and smaller in stature. There is anecdotal evidence that racing greyhounds have a tendency to cancer. We lost our first two greyhounds to that disease when they were 7 and 8.

Couldn't ask for a better dog.
countdown

Post by countdown »

Such beautiful dogs!
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

We adopted a 4 yr old and it lived to about 11. My recollections:

1. More like a cat than a dog. She seldom if every barked.
2. Friendly, but timid.
3. Very strong hunting instincts when we first got her. Walking her around the back yard on the first afternoon and she caught a bird while still on the leash. When she saw a squirrel her muscles would stand out like "the Hulk". They are remarkable athletes.
4. She learned to live with cats, but you had to be attentive early on.
5. Pooped an incredible volume on a daily basis.
6. You can never let them off the leash while walking outside of a fenced in area.

I certainly understand the appeal of an adoption, but if I was going to get that type of breed again I think I would get a Whippet or an Italian greyhound.
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

A good friend of mine is involved with Greyhound rescue and typically has a houseful of them. I can put you in contact with him if you are interested. He would LOVE to talk "shop" about these wonderful dogs and offer insight. Send me a PM if this is something you would like to pursue.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Here is an interesting site that discusses whether Greyhound adoption is suitable for you.

http://www.retiredracinggreyhounds.com/10reasons.html