How many folks have a dog?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lucky3

Re: How many folks have a dog?

Post by lucky3 »

There are very few things in this world that can give you unconditional love besides a dog. A dog really enriches your life. Don't buy a dog at a pet shop...go to your neighborhood shelter and tell them what you are looking for .. or, go online. As long as you can make provisions for the dog while you travel, a dog can bring you years of devotion and happiness.

Lucky3
sephage

Post by sephage »

Al little over a year ago we rescued an undersized Cane Corso (yes, he's still huge). The first few months are very, very difficult. After that, it's magic; a grateful pet that brings with it the added bonus of the knowledge that you quite literally saved something's life.
"I've got a bad feeling about this..." - Every Star Wars character at least once
Blues

Post by Blues »

G12 wrote:She's beautiful, has to be part AmStaff or other terrier. Ours is AmStaff with Weimaraner and GSHP in her family tree, great mix of dogs and is as sweet as they come, all the people that train in the nosework group we train with love her :

You're the second or third person that suggested that she might have Staffie mixed in with her Boxer bloodlines.

As to your dog's mix...Weimaraners and GSHP's are traditionally my two favorite breeds. I was devastated when we had to put our 9 1/2 year old Weim down in July. I never thought I could go through it again...but as you see... :beer

There's a special place in heaven for those who rescue dogs...and if there's no heaven for dogs, as Will Rogers famously said, I wanna go where they go when I die. :sharebeer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
G12

Post by G12 »

Blues wrote:You're the second or third person that suggested that she might have Staffie mixed in with her Boxer bloodlines.
It's her markings, ears, size and snout. We had ours DNA tested due to how many people would come up and after meeting her ask what breed she was. I think the test result on her was fairly accurate, and she is quite different than a lot of APBTs I have been around, which is a lot. If you swapped her red with your dog's tan, the white markings are close to identical, as is the size, ours has slightly larger ears due to the other mixes, and she is a hunter with a lot of energy and enthusiasm which is why she loves to participate in nose work/odor recognition training. One of the reasons we got her is Dobe 2 definitely had terrier in her from way back and we enjoyed that aspect of her personality, so we now go with 1 Dobe and 1 terrier/terrier mix, plus they are more compact and great size for inside + short hair. Regardless, you guys will be very happy with your new family member. :beer

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to highjack.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

We are pet-less, don't want the hassles, poop, fur, etc.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
dm200

Post by dm200 »

yatesd wrote:
dm200 wrote:I would like a dog - but my wife has a "character flaw"

She doesn't care for dogs and refuses to let me get one. :(
You need to better manage expectations...push for a snake, pot belly pig, or something else that is more offensive to her. In desperation, she will suggest a dog. :D

BTW, I have an Australian Shepherd. My avatar is from when he was a puppy.
Hmmm. Good thought. I don't think it will work, though.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

CherylHall wrote:Hi all, love this board have learned so much. I am thinking of adopting a rescue dog, one that I have confidence in temperament and breed. Still a bit on the fence on adopting as its just me at home and I travel for work for a few days a month. Do the Bogleheads have dogs and thoughts?
Besides the advice you're getting here, you could also check with a vet for breed information and visit the local humane society. Most of the dogs in our family over the years were from humane societies, mostly mutts, and all great and fun companions. But they do take work, love, understanding, and patience (just like humans!), especially the first year or so.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We cared for my son's Chihuahua for one year, but had to give him away to a loving lady because we got to raise our baby grandson, and dog and baby together were too much for us retirees.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

One dog and two cats.

Wally the Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen and Billy and Moxie the Orange Tabbies enjoying a snooze on Christmas Eve.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

fishnskiguy wrote:One dog and two cats.

Wally the Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen and Billy and Moxie the Orange Tabbies enjoying a snooze on Christmas Eve.

Chris
Great pic, Chris!

Nice years ago, we were debating going for a purebred vizsla. My wife grew up across the street from a family with one and she has always wanted one. The problem was that we are both predisposed to taking in rescues and you just never see vizslas at the pound. Anyway, after several months kicking it around, we decided to go to the local humane society to check it out.

Just before that happened, a stray cat (orange tabby like Chris's) in the neighborhood decided he liked the look of our place and started hanging around. Before I knew it, I was coaxing him up to our front door and sitting outside with him on my lap for an hour each night. He didn't come around one night while I was traveling on business and my wife told me later that she was thinking to herself, "oh my God, I lost my husband's cat!" So, the next night she scooped him up and brought him inside. He's been with us ever since.

He doesn't play well with other pets and so ... no dog, vizsla or otherwise. But, if we had followed through, it would have been a rescue.
Don't reach for yield.
Desert

Post by Desert »

This nice young dog showed up at my place of work a week or so ago. We're assuming he was dumped. It's an industrial area, pretty far from neighborhoods. He doesn't have a collar. We've been planning to get a dog, so now I'm seriously considering capturing and adopting this guy. He's very skittish, so it will be very difficult to capture him. I have a large dog crate. I would, of course, make my first stop the vet before bringing him home.

I'd welcome any opinions on the idea of trying to adopt this guy.
Topic Author
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

I think you should see if this nice dog has a microchip- someone may be looking for him/her. He/she may have bolted and someone is looking for their dog, he/she looks like they are cared for. If nobody is looking for them, then it may have been meant to be. :)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

CherylHall wrote:I think you should see if this nice dog has a microchip- someone may be looking for him/her. He/she may have bolted and someone is looking for their dog, he/she looks like they are cared for. If nobody is looking for them, then it may have been meant to be. :)
I definitely second a chip check, plus an ad in the paper, 'net, etc. Someone has been caring nicely for this dog.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
denovo

Post by denovo »

Dogs are nice; cats are better. Cats like people, you have to just earn their affection. Queue the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfTIrmp1yU

Yes, and I have a cat and he likes to drink water from a cup.

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

hi all OP here - thank you so much or the photos and comments, loved them all. Someone wrote that a dog is a difference between a house and a home. A dog is definitely in my future, will be researching breed rescues. I also went back and counted my days out of town sure seemed like more that it was - its not that bad- good exercise!

One added thought for the person who posted the lost dog photo - I just found out that most states have a lost pet facebook page. Its amazing how well social media works getting lost pets back to their families.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

pinecrest wrote:^Cute cat and video.

I've always wondered if Myers-Briggs can be used to determine pet preferences, because cats and dogs really are that different.
Not only are cats and dogs different, the personality of each cat is different, as is that of each dog. The differences are what make it fun to remember the little critters who have come and gone in our lives: the dog who wouldn't play ball and hated water; the dog who would play ball but only if you insisted and who loved water but just to stand or wade in, not to swim; the athletic dog who was passionate about playing ball and never stopped until you did; the dog who loved to swim; the dog who barked a lot and the dog who almost never barked; the dog who quickly learned to sit up, lie down, roll over and give you his paw; the dog who could do those tricks but hated it, and the dog who had absolutely no intention of doing tricks; the cat who would curl up in your lap and stay there till you got up; the cat who would never get in your lap unless you put it there and then it would not stay; the cat who hated the dog; the cat who loved the dog; the cat who was a good mouser and the cat who just sat and watched a mouse go by. And all special in their own way.
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Sheepdog wrote:WHAT DOGS TEACH US
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply..
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
Being always grateful for each new day and for the blessing you have.
Enjoy every moment of every day! That's what dogs teach us...
(unknown author)
That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Desert

Post by Desert »

CherylHall wrote:hi all OP here - thank you so much or the photos and comments, loved them all. Someone wrote that a dog is a difference between a house and a home. A dog is definitely in my future, will be researching breed rescues. I also went back and counted my days out of town sure seemed like more that it was - its not that bad- good exercise!

One added thought for the person who posted the lost dog photo - I just found out that most states have a lost pet facebook page. Its amazing how well social media works getting lost pets back to their families.
Thanks. I did find the local facebook lost and found pet page. I plan to post there, and also scan for a chip. That's all assuming I can successfully capture him tomorrow.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Desert wrote:Image

This nice young dog showed up at my place of work a week or so ago. We're assuming he was dumped. It's an industrial area, pretty far from neighborhoods. He doesn't have a collar. We've been planning to get a dog, so now I'm seriously considering capturing and adopting this guy. He's very skittish, so it will be very difficult to capture him. I have a large dog crate. ...
I know you'll be very careful to avoid injury to yourself or the dog during capture, but I thought I'd provide a "how-to" link and also note there is more advice online under "capturing a lost dog." Good luck!
http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/lost-and- ... lost-dogs/
invest0

Post by invest0 »

Adopted a rescue a few months back, great pup (mix appears to be something a jackshund). Pure unending energy. Adorable though. Loves all people and other dogs.

Some mild abandonment issues and will eat everything you put in front of her (apparently common in rescue dogs).

All in all one of the best decisions my wife and I have made. :)
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

We've had a Golden Retriever, 4 in all, in our house for many years. In all that time, not one ever had parties when we were gone, drank my beer, cracked up my cars, needed bail money, required funds for college, ate us out of house and home, got depressed over failed relationships, etc., etc. Can't say the same for my kids. Plus, the dogs got us out of the house for 2 mile-long walks (or runs) every day, greeted us happily every day after work and were (are) always in a good mood, cost little to feed, make almost everyone they meet smile and laugh, and keep things in perspective for us. They have travelled with us all over the country in our van. I never wanted a dog after having fended off many in my younger days as a paperboy. But I finally gave in to my wife and kids and have not regretted it since.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
jhh9327

Post by jhh9327 »

Had to put our almost 12 year old Husky down this past spring rather unexpectedly. Got him a few months after my wife and I first moved in together. He was our first "kid" and losing him has been hard. A couple months ago my wife started to talk about wanting to get another soon. About 6 weeks ago a relative let us know she had some pups she was looking to find homes for. My wife went and visited the litter a few weeks back and quickly decided we were going to have a Christmas puppy this year for the kids after falling for one of them. While it was a slight logistics nightmare, our new family member made her debut to the kids on Christmas morning. Only can make guesses at the breeds as both the mom and dad were mixes themselves, but she's a cutie and the kids are loving her. :happy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We used too and he passed on a couple of years ago. The kids were hit hard by it. We have not raised another dog at this time because we are always out and about and it is not fair to the dog. My folks have a great little dog so the kids get to play with her all the time and love it.

The dog did have an adjustment when the kids were born too. The whole sharing of attention thing.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

This sounds like a marriage problem. I am such a dog lover, I would have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't care for dogs. I used to say, never trust a man who doesn't love his pets.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

jhh9327 wrote:Had to put our almost 12 year old Husky down this past spring rather unexpectedly. Got him a few months after my wife and I first moved in together. He was our first "kid" and losing him has been hard. A couple months ago my wife started to talk about wanting to get another soon. About 6 weeks ago a relative let us know she had some pups she was looking to find homes for. My wife went and visited the litter a few weeks back and quickly decided we were going to have a Christmas puppy this year for the kids after falling for one of them. While it was a slight logistics nightmare, our new family member made her debut to the kids on Christmas morning. Only can make guesses at the breeds as both the mom and dad were mixes themselves, but she's a cutie and the kids are loving her. :happy
Loss of your dog does hurt. Perhaps this story from about 40 years ago will make you feel better. I misplaced the vet's name, but I believe it was true. No title is necessary, just the story.
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to
examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.
The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their
little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker,
and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of
cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything
for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia
procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me
they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane
to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane
might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my
throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane
seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last
time, that I wondered if he understood what was
going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully
away..

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's
transition without any difficulty or confusion. We
sat together for a while after Belker's death,
wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives
are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been
listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of
his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more
comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn
how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all
the time and being nice, right?' The six-year-old
continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that,
so they don't have to stay as long.

I still get watery eyes when I read it.
Jim
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

stemikger wrote:

This sounds like a marriage problem. I am such a dog lover, I would have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't care for dogs. I used to say, never trust a man who doesn't love his pets.
My wife does have many compensating virtues. She thinks that if she let me get a dog, she would end up doing much of the work. [Maybe she could be partly correct]

We are many decades past small child(ren)/babies - but I did see one of those internet teasers that some study or studies have shown that babies raised in households with dogs have fewer allergies (I think).
chw

Post by chw »

11 year old miniature poodle here. Purchased as pup, and easily house trained her at a young age. Very smart dog, with excellent temperament- loves people more than other dogs, though tolerates dogs on the small side. Very easy to care for- can stay by herself most of the day (up to 8-9 hours). IMO the love and companionship dogs provide override the drawbacks mentioned here- limitations on travel, visiting, etc. we have several dog loving neighbors who look out for each other with their dogs, and if none can help out, we hire a local teen to pitch in for nominal cost.
Achelois

Post by Achelois »

stemikger wrote:

Several years ago, I was cautiously re-entering the dating world after a divorce. I had been seeing a man, proceeding slowly because I felt he was a little controlling, but eventually felt I could go to his home for dinner. He had a dog chained to a doghouse in his back yard 24/7 with which he interacted only five minutes a day when he fed it.

I broke off with him after that.

I have two rescue dogs. Both are dachshund mixed with something. One looks to have chihuahua in and is only 12 pounds. The other is 36 pounds with longer, thicker hair. They are the sweetest things.

When I was married, I had a dog (which has since died of age). The dog did not like my husband and my husband did not like the dog. One day my husband gave me an ultimatum: either the dog would go or he would.

I kept the dog.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I grew up in a multigenerational household - which had both benefits and drawbacks. When my parents got married, she moved into a household with a mother-in-law, brother-in-law and a dog. She related that the dog, then getting on in years, did not like her at all. [In general, though, she did like dogs] Fortunately for my mother, that dog died within a couple of years - and she was able to start over with a family puppy that she could have a fresh start with.
ddj

Post by ddj »

We have a yellow lab puppy, born last June. She's wonderful. Quite energetic. Travelled well eight hours by car to the in-laws last week. My fiance has had dogs all her life. Me, perhaps 20% of it.

Last year, we had a difficult experience with a rescue dog, who we ended up surrendering back to the rescue. He was intractably aggressive, at times with food, at times with any old object. We worked with him, a professional worked with him. Perhaps Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer, could have cracked his code, but we sure couldn't. We weren't about to have our nieces and nephews around him. A trainer adopted him -- better for all parties.
zed

Post by zed »

Many years ago DW and I adopted rescue English Bull Terriers (think Spuds MacKenzie.)

Would never do it again.
Why? It tears your heart out when they pass.
Dumb dogs.
Oh. Just do it.

full disclosure: avatar is pic of bubba making happy with a sofa pillow. Dumb dog
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

dm200 wrote:
stemikger wrote:

My wife does have many compensating virtues. She thinks that if she let me get a dog, she would end up doing much of the work. [Maybe she could be partly correct]

We are many decades past small child(ren)/babies - but I did see one of those internet teasers that some study or studies have shown that babies raised in households with dogs have fewer allergies (I think).
Oh that is different. My wife was the same way 11 years ago, but now it's her baby. But I still do most of the work.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Achelois wrote:
stemikger wrote:

Several years ago, I was cautiously re-entering the dating world after a divorce. I had been seeing a man, proceeding slowly because I felt he was a little controlling, but eventually felt I could go to his home for dinner. He had a dog chained to a doghouse in his back yard 24/7 with which he interacted only five minutes a day when he fed it.

I broke off with him after that.

I have two rescue dogs. Both are dachshund mixed with something. One looks to have chihuahua in and is only 12 pounds. The other is 36 pounds with longer, thicker hair. They are the sweetest things.

When I was married, I had a dog (which has since died of age). The dog did not like my husband and my husband did not like the dog. One day my husband gave me an ultimatum: either the dog would go or he would.

I kept the dog.
+1
Good for you. Truthfully if I saw a person that had a dog chained up all the time, I would have a serious issue with that. I might even have to take the dog or kick the guys A__S. It tears my heart out when I see animals and especially dogs not being treated the way they should. I notice a dynamic by some men that they have to act tough when it comes to people who treat dogs with love. My brother-in-law and father-in-law make all these stupid remarks about dog lovers, but I know deep down it is just bravado, but I just don't get it, because my dog is like my son.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

zed wrote:Many years ago DW and I adopted rescue English Bull Terriers (think Spuds MacKenzie.)

Would never do it again.
Why? It tears your heart out when they pass.
Dumb dogs.
Oh. Just do it.

full disclosure: avatar is pic of bubba making happy with a sofa pillow. Dumb dog
I know! This is a huge downside. My little guy is 11 and knowing the general life span is between 12 and 16, I'm bracing myself for that in the next few years and it's going to kill me. Sorry for your loss.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Dogs require devotion, time, and energy, but I can't imagine life without them. They give me more than I give them.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

TxAg wrote:Dogs require devotion, time, and energy, but I can't imagine life without them. They give me more than I give them.
+1
We give them our spare time and they give us more 100% loyalty, love and affection back.
Desert

Post by Desert »

Quick update on the stray dog I described above. I went with a coworker today with the intention of capturing this stray dog. We set up a crate with some good smelly food, with a rope-actuated door to close after he entered; essentially a live trap. This dog, however, is smart. :) We both quickly realized he wasn't going to fall for that. Fortunately, my coworker turns out to be something of a dog whisperer. He spent hours with the dog this afternoon, never getting within 10 yards, but just hanging out with him. Finally I had to go, and shortly after I left, my coworker managed to slip a collar on him and now they're best buds. Needless to say, the owner will be my coworker and not me. I'm very happy with the way the day worked out. I hated to see this dog end up in a kill shelter, but I was also very uncomfortable with bringing him back to my house, with a 6 year old, etc. So I think things worked out as well as they possibly could have. It was a good day.

Oh, and he will be having him scanned for a chip also. The dog appears to be around 9 months old, not neutered, and our theory is still that he was dumped.

Meanwhile, I've decided I want an Australian Shepherd, or some mix thereof. My son is very interested in dog training, agility courses, etc. So an Aussie Shepherd, or maybe even a Border Collie mix, may be in our future.
dixdak

Post by dixdak »

Good for you. Please spare me your mutt jumping on me, waking me up at 6am with barking, and peeing on my lawn. I have little interest in reading about your captive "friend" in your holiday family newsletter. Had a dog, have a cat.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

Question for all my fellow dog-owning bogleheads out there: do you take into account the fact that "Dog owners worldwide enjoy longer lifespans on average..." when making your financial assumptions regarding retirement and SWR? :)

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... nd/253744/
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Desert wrote:Quick update on the stray dog I described above. I went with a coworker today with the intention of capturing this stray dog. We set up a crate with some good smelly food, with a rope-actuated door to close after he entered; essentially a live trap. This dog, however, is smart. :) We both quickly realized he wasn't going to fall for that. Fortunately, my coworker turns out to be something of a dog whisperer. He spent hours with the dog this afternoon, never getting within 10 yards, but just hanging out with him. Finally I had to go, and shortly after I left, my coworker managed to slip a collar on him and now they're best buds. Needless to say, the owner will be my coworker and not me. I'm very happy with the way the day worked out. I hated to see this dog end up in a kill shelter, but I was also very uncomfortable with bringing him back to my house, with a 6 year old, etc. So I think things worked out as well as they possibly could have. It was a good day.

Oh, and he will be having him scanned for a chip also. The dog appears to be around 9 months old, not neutered, and our theory is still that he was dumped.

Meanwhile, I've decided I want an Australian Shepherd, or some mix thereof. My son is very interested in dog training, agility courses, etc. So an Aussie Shepherd, or maybe even a Border Collie mix, may be in our future.
Nice ending and thanks for letting us know.
Achelois

Post by Achelois »

happyisland wrote:Question for all my fellow dog-owning bogleheads out there: do you take into account the fact that "Dog owners worldwide enjoy longer lifespans on average..." when making your financial assumptions regarding retirement and SWR? :)

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... nd/253744/

Of course. It is right there on my little robotic spreadsheet. Have to make the retirement assets last longer as a result. I have added five years to my lifespan, I am sure.

PPPPPPP.
joelly

Post by joelly »

We have two toy poodles. We got them as puppies in separate times. Charlie was adopted in 2012 and Edison was bought in 2013. They are left alone at home for abt 12 hrs daily. They go to daycare once a week.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

CherylHall wrote:Hi all, love this board have learned so much. I am thinking of adopting a rescue dog, one that I have confidence in temperament and breed. Still a bit on the fence on adopting as its just me at home and I travel for work for a few days a month. Do the Bogleheads have dogs and thoughts?
We have a mutt (part Australian Shepherd, but basically a mix) in addition to two cats. All are rescues. We got our pup about a year and a half ago. We love him, and wouldn't change anything, but it is work. We didn't get a dog before that because of our schedules. But now, my husband works a split shift and goes home for a few hours in the afternoon, so the pup has company and someone to walk him.

If you can't get home during the day, or if you travel, then you just need to find a good pet-sitter or a kennel you trust. We have several pet-sitters on standby....my DH's cousin lives close by and can usually walk him in the afternoon if DH can't get home. Further, the cousin will stay at the house to watch all the pets if we travel, and the dog comes with us if we are traveling by car. We also have another pet sitter whom we use when the cousin isn't available - he will also stay at the house.

Over the holidays, it is a little harder. Although some family members love having the dog visit, my sister has 3 cats who do not like dogs. So, our pup can't stay there. We now get a pet-friendly hotel down the street when we go to visit her.

This is the first time I've ever had a dog (my husband grew up with them; and I have always wanted one). He brings so much joy and fun to the house; I am very glad we got him. It's really just a matter of whether you can/want to make a few adjustments or arrangements to get one! I say go for it!
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Desert wrote:Quick update on the stray dog I described above. I went with a coworker today with the intention of capturing this stray dog. We set up a crate with some good smelly food, with a rope-actuated door to close after he entered; essentially a live trap. This dog, however, is smart. :) We both quickly realized he wasn't going to fall for that. Fortunately, my coworker turns out to be something of a dog whisperer. He spent hours with the dog this afternoon, never getting within 10 yards, but just hanging out with him. Finally I had to go, and shortly after I left, my coworker managed to slip a collar on him and now they're best buds. Needless to say, the owner will be my coworker and not me. I'm very happy with the way the day worked out. I hated to see this dog end up in a kill shelter, but I was also very uncomfortable with bringing him back to my house, with a 6 year old, etc. So I think things worked out as well as they possibly could have. It was a good day.

Your friend should definately notify the local Animal Control folks just in case the dog was reported lost or missing. Its quite possible he was dumped but its also possible his owner is frantically looking for him.

Re: Border collies et al - most of them are smarter than their owners. Just finished a great book called "Show Dog" by Josh Dean which chronicles the life and Show career of an Australian Shepard. Might be a little heavy on dog show "details" for a non-show person but also has interesting insights on Aussies.
terminer

Post by terminer »

For anyone who does have to leave a dog (or dogs) alone for any length of time, I'd urge you to check out a UK study on how this affects the dog and how to mitigate those effects, even if you think they're fine on their own.

The study was conducted on over 40 dogs in the UK by the Bristol University Veterinary Science Dept and the results were broadcast in a documentary on UK Channel 4 this year (Dogs: Their Secret Lives - may be shown internationally). They set up cameras throughout the study houses to film the dogs once the owners stepped out of the door and also took saliva samples to measure cortisol levels to get an indicator of the stress level each dog experienced.

It was a riveting and moving program. The main results were (http://dogs.channel4.com/40-dog-study/):
  • 5 of the dogs were absolutely fine.

5 of the dogs showed active signs of separation anxiety. The owners of these 5 dogs were aware their dog might have a problem. These dogs vocalised, toileted or chewed up furniture.

10 dogs showed active signs of separation anxiety but their owners were completely unaware that their dogs were stressed. Again they vocalised, toileted, chewed up furniture, all classic symptoms of separation related disorders.

19 dogs were not showing active signs of separation anxiety but the Cortisol results show that although they were sitting down, apparently quiet, they are still feeling some kind of anxiety and are worried about being left on their own.

1 dog seemed to have a problem with the noisy parrot it was left with.
What was especially hard for the owners to take (and viewers) was how immediately the separation anxiety kicked in and how at least a quarter of the dogs were actively distressed when the owner was away, when the owner actually thought they were fine.

The final part of the program was about how to train dogs to be happy on their own. And a key part of that was actually to make them less reliant on the owner. It's obvious once it's spelled out, but the message was that dogs that are trained, albeit inadvertently, to be totally dependent on someone for food, water and exercise and are the "pack" that the dog identifies with are not going to be happy if that person disappears. So the goal of the training was to make them less dependent on the owner and give them a highlight and stimulation that's only available when the owner is away. Some of the training that was shown in the program is described here - http://dogs.channel4.com/help-support/

John
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta »

I have had dogs my whole life, in my family they lived inside with us and in her later years my Mom actually slept with her dogs (and cats) in bed with her. Her retriever had her own pillow. It is a fond thought for me. I had two dogs when I married my hubbie and he brought a third. We are now down to two again, both getting very old at this point. When we had our first baby, after a home addition for space reasons, the dogs became less house-welcome and now live more in the HVAC-d utility room with a dog door for free access to the outside. Given my mom's tradition above, I feel a bit bad about this. I let the dogs inside the house about every 2 days and hubbie generally orders them back out again. As the kids get older, they want to play with them more and today while hubbie was at work, we had them inside a few hours, which was fun.

As ours near the end of their lives, I have been thinking about what we'll do when we lose these two…we have two indoor/outdoor cats (same utility room situation and one is almost feral), and cats are wonderful, but definitely not the same as dogs. My mom and I ALWAYS adopted adult dogs, mostly through rescue groups (often by breed or size) or from the shelter. What I like about adopting adult through a rescue/foster group is that often the foster can tell you how the dog behaves with children, other pets, digging, barking, etc. People who foster animals have HUGE hearts and they are doing their part to keep animals out of shelters, so adopting form one of them often means they can rescue another animal.

Breedwise, I love dachshunds, but they do seem to have a habit of going on the sidewalk or in the house (my theory is they don't like walking in grass cause they are so short). The love of my life was a black labrador when I was single. He was a rescue fear-biter when I took him in from a friend -- we did training together and he never bit again and was my best friend. So, labs are pretty good (it also must be said that due to garage breeders, many black lab puppies get euthanized, so saving a lab is a good thing). All that being said, I sure find pugs to be cute. We would still go through a rescue group, but as I said, you can find any breed through rescue…unfortunately there are just too many unwanted pets. (Speaking of which, there are plenty of other types of pets and rescue groups…I just heard today of a local group that has rescued hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs…it never occurred to me, but with kids that's the route we'll go in the future, if we need more small pets in our menagerie).

Hope you find a companion you love…putting thought into it ahead of time, even if you decide not to get a dog, is the most responsible thing you can do. For people who must go to breeders (sigh), at least use a breeder who guarantees they will take the dog back and rehome it if it doesn't work out. An in-law did this and I found it very classy on the breeder's part.
countdown

Post by countdown »

Yes, dogs in our home. They are worth the effort.
We boarded them occasionally when we would go out of town, but it was very stressful for them. Visibly so.
So we have found a dog sitter who stays in our home with them when we travel. She loves our dogs and they love her.
Best of all worlds.