Options to a Bose Wave Radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jay69

Options to a Bose Wave Radio

Post by Jay69 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:07 am

Anybody have an alternate to a Bose Radio that they would care to share? My sister and brother have a Bose radio and for what it is it sounds decent.

Currently I have an A/V receiver built into a lower cabinet with 2 little larger than bookshelf Yamaha speakers hung on the wall. That setup sounds decent, it maybe a little better than an Bose Wave radio but with my aging ear and having tinnitus I'm not thinking I'm going to notice plus I don't care that much about making a perfect system like I did 30 years ago when I had a tube amp etc.

What I'm looking for is a AM/FM radio with a decent receiver (we listen to a lot both AM/FM) with Bluetooth, an Aux in would be nice but not required. CD not required. The more I think about it a USB port would be nice as well for charging depending on how I'm going to play our audio collection, see below.

One part that I'm having a tough time getting my head around is how I want to handle/play my music collection. I currently have 200+ gigs of MP3 (converted piles of CD's), some older converted vinyl, pile of old time radio shows etc. At this point I'm just tossing 8-10gigs of what sounds good at the time onto an I-Touch and use the Aux-in of the current A/V receiver.

I'm a little over the map here, any input would be appreciated, I thank you in advance.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

swaption

Re: Options to a Bose Wave Radio

Post by swaption » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 am

I know I find myself often advocating Sonos in threads like this, but in this case it really seems like a taylor made turn key solution. Follow the link below and any of the Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5 could work for you, and I guess now they are throwing in a free Bridge:

http://www.sonos.com/shop/

It's all relatively simple. The Bridge connects to your computer and wirelessly broadcasts the music signal to your Sonos receiver. The available music includes your music library, crystal clear internet radio, and various music sources like Pandora. This all can be conrolled wirelessly with downloadable android or iphone apps. Very few unhappy Sonos users out there. You literally could be up and running within a half hour of unpacking the box. As well once you have the Bridge, at any time you could also include another Sonos receiver (the Connect), which has no speakers or amp and connect that to your existing stereo to wirelessly access your computer as well.
Last edited by swaption on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

4stripes

Post by 4stripes » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 am

Go with Cambridge SoundWorks or Sonos. They will both allow you to stream your audio files over wi-fi.

The difference in price vs Bose will just be their marketing costs. These all-in-one devices all sound pretty much the same, because with 3" drivers it can be no other way, so no reason to pay significantly more.

Since the Cambridge version has wi-fi, you can potentially stream in your home over wi-fi, thus you don't necessarily need the more expensive Bluetooth option.

Sonos will be more expensive, but the upshot is you can buy one device, then later add more to get music everywhere, and it will all be in sync. Sonos will also have the slickest, simplest interface.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 am

Do you have internet available in this location? I find internet radio to be far superior to old fashioned radio. For example my wife likes to listen to BBC's Christmas programs and they come in great through the BBC's internet service.

Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00395ZQMK

Might be much nicer than an AM/FM receiver. It also includes a USB slot for a thumb drive you can put your MP3s on.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:18 am

Ged wrote:Do you have internet available in this location? I find internet radio to be far superior to old fashioned radio. For example my wife likes to listen to BBC's Christmas programs and they come in great through the BBC's internet service.

Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00395ZQMK

Might be much nicer than an AM/FM receiver. It also includes a USB slot for a thumb drive you can put your MP3s on.

We do have decent Wifi in the house, have used Pandora and I-Hart radio, I tend to use that more while on my elliptical workout.

gd

Post by gd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:49 am

Not exactly what you asked about, but Logitech Squeezebox Boom Wifi internet radio. With a wifi within range, it'll get internet-streaming audio, including streaming AM/FM stations all over the world, and the usual Pandora and last.fm type stuff. I get a better selection of German radio stations in my house in the USA than in my house in Germany. You can also access music files on your PC. I honestly don't even know if it has a separate AM/FM broadcast receiver; no reason to even look. I consider the sound excellent, certainly better than any table-top radio I've ever had, but I'm not familiar with Bose products and can't compare directly. Drawbacks-- it's long discontinued, can still be bought but seems to cost over twice what I paid three years ago ($250). I've considered buying another and storing it away as a backup. The monochrome screen is limited compared to current technology and can be clumsy to browse around a world full of streaming radio stations. It does have some firmware quirks that make the controls a bit erratic, and the people who made it need some lessons in real-time programming. I don't think there are any memory card or USB ports. Its beauty is as a good small world-wide radio. It amazes me that these never became more popular, I suspect they'll be a little-known collector's item (the current price seems to indicate so).

edited- toned down claims of access to FM stations

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:30 pm

+1 on Sonos.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Tivoli beats the pants off of Bose, IMNSHO: http://www.tivoliaudio.com

We have their "Model One" radio in the kitchen and use it to either listen to the radio or an iPod (via the Aux input). It sounds fantastic and looks mighty good too!

They have various models, including some with bluetooth and all that jazz.
Stay on target...

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I like the Sonos idea, one thing I'm not sure I want to do is leave my computer on all the time to give access to the library. Would be so nice is they hade a dock that you could toss an SSD into. I suppose I could build up a low power NAS just as well to.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:26 pm

gd wrote:Not exactly what you asked about, but Logitech Squeezebox Boom Wifi internet radio. With a wifi within range, it'll get internet-streaming audio, including streaming AM/FM stations all over the world, and the usual Pandora and last.fm type stuff. I get a better selection of German radio stations in my house in the USA than in my house in Germany. You can also access music files on your PC. I honestly don't even know if it has a separate AM/FM broadcast receiver; no reason to even look. I consider the sound excellent, certainly better than any table-top radio I've ever had, but I'm not familiar with Bose products and can't compare directly. Drawbacks-- it's long discontinued, can still be bought but seems to cost over twice what I paid three years ago ($250). I've considered buying another and storing it away as a backup. The monochrome screen is limited compared to current technology and can be clumsy to browse around a world full of streaming radio stations. It does have some firmware quirks that make the controls a bit erratic, and the people who made it need some lessons in real-time programming. I don't think there are any memory card or USB ports. Its beauty is as a good small world-wide radio. It amazes me that these never became more popular, I suspect they'll be a little-known collector's item (the current price seems to indicate so).

edited- toned down claims of access to FM stations
I also have the Boom. They stopped making that monochrome model and the newer models have full color screens and a web interface you can log on to control it. It takes all the major streaming services. In my opinion, for the price, it's pretty good in sound and use. The only thing that I never got working right on the Boom was the alarm. It would turn on at random times and scare me if I am asleep and it's 3AM. The rest of the system is great.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:45 pm

jridger2011 wrote: I also have the Boom They stopped making that monochrome model and the newer models have full color screens and a web interface you can log on to control it. It takes all the major streaming services. In my opinion, for the price, it's pretty good in sound and use. The only thing that I never got working right on the Boom was the alarm. It would turn on at random times and scare me if I am asleep and it's 3AM. The rest of the system is great.
Unfortunately Logitech has discontinued the Squeezebox line. It's too bad, I like these a lot and use them throughout my house and would have recommended them otherwise.

http://blog.logitech.com/2012/09/28/an- ... ebox-fans/

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Ged wrote:
jridger2011 wrote: I also have the Boom They stopped making that monochrome model and the newer models have full color screens and a web interface you can log on to control it. It takes all the major streaming services. In my opinion, for the price, it's pretty good in sound and use. The only thing that I never got working right on the Boom was the alarm. It would turn on at random times and scare me if I am asleep and it's 3AM. The rest of the system is great.
Unfortunately Logitech has discontinued the Squeezebox line. It's too bad, I like these a lot and use them throughout my house and would have recommended them otherwise.

http://blog.logitech.com/2012/09/28/an- ... ebox-fans/

That's too bad. I liked that product. I guess people prefer bluetooth speakers and streaming music from another device these days.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:08 pm

jridger2011 wrote:
That's too bad. I liked that product. I guess people prefer bluetooth speakers and streaming music from another device these days.
Some people consider the Squeezebox Touch the best networked audio playback device ever. The price has jumped to 2x or more what it was when it was production.

ogd

Post by ogd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I'd go for the Sonos as well. Thing is, the hardest problem to solve is IMHO streaming the music library with a friendly user interface, and Sonos does this very well -- and it has a lot of internet options which you might come to enjoy more than the library.

As for the AM/FM, I see two options:
1) Use the Sonos Play:5 and connect a standalone AM/FM receiver to its line input. E.g. this one from a quick search looks great http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WR-2-Digi ... 0009ZAA4M/
1a) because Sonos supports TuneIn radio, you might be able to get your stations over the internet and with higher quality, and you're not limited to local. So you might even skip the AM/FM receiver. At least give this option a try before ordering the receiver.
2) Get a receiver, a couple of speakers and the (ridiculously overpriced for what it is) Sonos Connect. This is what I do. The receiver will give you AM/FM and you get to choose your speakers. It's obviously much higher impact space-wise (unless you find a very compact system), and probably more expensive than the above. (Edit: oops, I forgot you already have this! Maybe just get the connect and smaller speakers?)

You will need a smartphone / tablet / computer to control the Sonos.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Ged wrote:
jridger2011 wrote:
Some people consider the Squeezebox Touch the best networked audio playback device ever. The price has jumped to 2x or more what it was when it was production.
I agree with this. I didn't spend hours of my life trying to make it work. It just worked very easily. I'm disappointed Logitech didn't think it was profitable to continue. I see the UE Smart Radio line from Logitech, but it's not the same was the Squeezebox line.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Jay69 wrote:I like the Sonos idea, one thing I'm not sure I want to do is leave my computer on all the time to give access to the library. Would be so nice is they hade a dock that you could toss an SSD into. I suppose I could build up a low power NAS just as well to.
If you upload your music to Amazon Cloud, Sonos can pull it from there. I agree it's an annoying limitation.

Incidentally, I have a Sonos Connect driving a very old Bose Wave Radio. Not necessarily what I'd recommend, but I already had the Bose...

swaption

Post by swaption » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm

FYI, just got an e-mail that Sonos is now offering free 2 day shipping in addition to the free Bridge.

Post by 123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:05 pm

I have been a radio fan for over 50 years. I've used big receivers, tabletop radios, portable radios, satellite radios, HD radios, and internet radio. A couple of years ago I became a big fan of the supplemental stations offered by HD radio, mostly without commercials at the time. I flirted between HD radio and satellite (SiriusXM) for a number of years recently. About a year ago my interest in them began to wane because I got to point of seeing them as "shuffle" machines with music formulas. In the last year I've bought three internet radios (for different rooms in the house) and I couldn't be happier. It seems that all my local stations, including their HD subchannels, are available on the internet. The internet seems to solve many reception issues that I had and internet radio gives you access to the world. There's thousands of stations of every music flavor. While there is some difference in the quality of the internet broadcast because different stations use different streaming speeds but it's not too hard to find something you like.

I've got a Logitech Squeezebox, Grace Digital GDI-IR2600, and a Grace Digital GDI-IRD4500m (Bravado-X). I prefer the Bravado-X because it has both built-in stereo speakers (not much seperation), outputs for external stereo speakers, as well as line-outs for input to another device. The Squeezebox and the other Grace Digital have many more control buttons whereas the Bravado-X has some that are "context sensitive". For example the large round knob can be a schrolling knob or a volume knob depending on what you're doing. It does take some getting used to. The limitations of internet radio is that it usually depends on the manufacturer of the radio to continue to operate a server that your radio actually connects with. I've experienced far more problems with Logitech whereas Grace Digital's use of the reciva.com has generally been without incident.

Of course you can get exactly the same internet radio stations through your computer. I've just found that I use it, and enjoy it, far more with the seperate internet radio device. You just turn it on and it works (usually).

Many internet radio devices also let you stream your music collection from a computer on your local wi-fi network.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 pm

swaption wrote:FYI, just got an e-mail that Sonos is now offering free 2 day shipping in addition to the free Bridge.
Well this making it more tempting!

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm

I may have missed it, but what is your budget?
gatorman

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Bumping it up.
I love my Bose Wave radio and I want another radio upstairs. I mostly listen to NPR and sometimes I like to listen to music, mostly FM but also want AM.
But i would like something less pricey - around $100, that i can connect and play my songs and podcasts from my iphone, good sound quality.
I have a Boston Acoustics Horizon Solo which started getting all messed up a few years ago and has now completely lost the power on/off function (it is now plugged into power strip that has an on/off switch) and is frozen at one volume - louder than I want. All the tips on fixing this have not helped. Apparently this model has been plagued by this problem. I hate giving this up because it is really a great radio, just has these problems.
It needs to be compact, no outside speakers.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm

I find Bose to be very overrated
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

retiredbuthappy

Post by retiredbuthappy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 am

So simple but impossible:
Wake me up at 7AM with same Mozart string quartet and perfect sound quality. Provide clock face to check time.
But Bose Wave Radios break after a few years and replacement is $
Any other solutions?
Thanks, RbH except for my morning Mozart!

mikebee

Post by mikebee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am

Logitech U E smart radio.
They are like gold dust. Why Logitech discontinued them is beyond comprehension.
We have four for our two houses, all bought on ebay now becoming rarer and higher priced.
The best model has the "UE" logo above the big circular tuning knob. I believe these were the last models made.
Internet streaming only from 6 preset buttons, great sound quality and a push mute button to kill the ads.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm
I find Bose to be very overrated
Me too but some people love them.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 pm

The Apple HomePod has gotten excellent reviews for its sound quality, but you need an iPhone/iPad to use it. Sonos is a good choice, as is the Google Home Max.

Someone mentioned uploading your music to Amazon Cloud. You can do the same with Google Play Music and stream it to whatever device you want.
Last edited by Afty on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:56 pm

My Bose Wave is at least 20 yrs old and sits on my nightstand. That said we also have a Google Home Mini in the room. No clock display to check the time, but all I need to say is Ok google, what's the time. I don't need to open my eyes or put on my glasses. I find the sound quality to be OK, and compared to a 20+ year old Wave, indistinguishable.

I can say wake me at 6 AM with Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats and it does it, or will read me the weather and my calendar if I ask. All for $30. It also controls some of my lights that are on smart switches: OK google turn on the corner lamp (in another room.)

I'm no longer an audiophile. I've got the Bose and more than several Sonos systems speakers (those have better sound quality), but if I were starting from scratch I'd go Google Home (full size or mini) at a fraction of the cost and so much more versatility.