POLL: How much time do you spend on this forum?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How much time do you spend on this forum?

less than 1 hour/day
56%
1-2 hours/day
33%
3-5 hours/day
9%
6-10 hours/day
1%
more than 10 hours/day
1%

Total votes: 110

EternalOptimist

POLL: How much time do you spend on this forum?

Post by EternalOptimist » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:01 pm

On average, about how much time do you spend on Bogleheads.org in any given day?
"When nothing goes right....go left"

tc101

Re: POLL: How much time do you spend on this forum?

Post by tc101 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:06 pm

I don't know, but I spend too much time online. I would be happier if I spent more of that time reading books. There is something compulsive about online activity.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:08 pm

tc101 wrote:I don't know, but I spend too much time online. I would be happier if I spent more of that time reading books. There is something compulsive about online activity.
That's OK, if you enjoy it why not. It's also a way to stay current and socialize.

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm

You need a "Not sure/Don't time myself/Depends on the postings" vote. :D
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:32 pm

< an hour per week, but it is a beneficial hour.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:01 pm

< an hour per day, just to see whats new and interesting.
More than that and I find it becomes the 'noise' we aren't suppose to pay attention to.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Way too much according to DW.
If I were to add up the time that my computer is on, browser is open, and at least one of the browser tabs is somewhere at Bogleheads it is quite a bit of time and I checked 3-5 hours/day. If you count only the time actually clicking links and reading conversations it would be somewhat less, probably 1-2 hours.
Bob

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I spend a few hrs a day especially when not so fair weather outside.
But not just this forum, but other fora and websites as well.
I use my 10" tablet most of the time with the TV on in the background often.
So when something like Jeopardy is on, it's only during commercial breaks that I browse on my tablet...
Attempted new signature...

Geist

Post by Geist » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:55 pm

CABob wrote:If I were to add up the time that my computer is on, browser is open, and at least one of the browser tabs is somewhere at Bogleheads it is quite a bit of time and I checked 3-5 hours/day. If you count only the time actually clicking links and reading conversations it would be somewhat less, probably 1-2 hours.
Probably pretty accurate for me as well. Perhaps too much time, but I enjoy reading & learning from everyone's input, so not entirely a waste.

Sriracha

Post by Sriracha » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:47 am

It definitely runs in spurts for me. Same with investing books. When I'm spending my spare time on this stuff, it's several hours per day. Otherwise, it's zero hours per day. Now that I've crested the basic learning curve, time spent certainly averages out to less than an hour per day over the course of a year. Right now is an exception; I'm laid up from a knee operation and so I've been doing some extra investment-related reading as well as hanging out here.
Don't reach for yield.

Mill

Post by Mill » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:56 am

I actually voted less than one hour because on average (since I found this place) its correct. Recently its been more like 1 to 2 hours per day. I think its because you learn as you go. When I first signed up, I was very intimidated by the posters here. One of my favorite expressions is that Bogleheads makes me feel poor and stupid. I didn't want to contribute for fears of posting something incorrect/bad advice or whatever. Intimidation can scare people away, and its just easier to move on to something less challenging. Eventually I got over it. :)

This place has always been intriguing though and as I read, studied, and got a general sense of what it truly means to be a Boglehead, I feel like Ive been able to contribute somewhat. An hour or two now feels like 5 minutes.

I Love this forum.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 am

Mill wrote:I actually voted less than one hour because on average (since I found this place) its correct. Recently its been more like 1 to 2 hours per day. I think its because you learn as you go. When I first signed up, I was very intimidated by the posters here. One of my favorite expressions is that Bogleheads makes me feel poor and stupid. I didn't want to contribute for fears of posting something incorrect/bad advice or whatever. Intimidation can scare people away, and its just easier to move on to something less challenging. Eventually I got over it. :)

This place has always been intriguing though and as I read, studied, and got a general sense of what it truly means to be a Boglehead, I feel like Ive been able to contribute somewhat. An hour or two now feels like 5 minutes.

I Love this forum.
No need to feel intimidated, your opinion is just that, yours! Just because people talk doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are talking about. Just like life, stand up for what you believe in. Enjoy :happy

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:31 am

tc101 wrote:I don't know, but I spend too much time online. I would be happier if I spent more of that time reading books. There is something compulsive about online activity.
Agreed. Or going for a walk outside. Or just sitting quietly without reading or doing anything else.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282