Discounts for seniors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
EternalOptimist

Discounts for seniors

Post by EternalOptimist » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 am

Since saving money is so important, check this out, many places offer discounts for those 55+

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=80899
"When nothing goes right....go left"

pkcrafter

Re: Discounts for seniors

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for posting this. I knew a few of these, but many more I didn't know.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 pm

When you think about it, should not they be offering the discounts to the "under-30" set? They're more likely to need the help. Speaking as a 66-year-old. But, I'll take the discounts. Thanks for the link.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:41 pm

A big senior discount.

The county I am in exempts seniors(62+) from paying the school portion of property tax so when we qualify that will cut our property tax bill by about two thirds.

There is a small mention of this in the paperwork that they send you each year but I have heard of people not knowing about it missing the deadline to put in the application for it.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:48 pm

My city gives a trash pickup discount for 62+, but you have to know about it, and ask for it.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Watty wrote:A big senior discount.

The county I am in exempts seniors(62+) from paying the school portion of property tax so when we qualify that will cut our property tax bill by about two thirds.

There is a small mention of this in the paperwork that they send you each year but I have heard of people not knowing about it missing the deadline to put in the application for it.
Yes, Very important to check into that.I haven't had to pay school tax since I turned 65.
All the Best, | Joe

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:29 am

joe8d wrote:
Watty wrote:A big senior discount.

Yes, Very important to check into that.I haven't had to pay school tax since I turned 65.
Wow, excellent tip, thanks!

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 am

john94549 wrote:When you think about it, should not they be offering the discounts to the "under-30" set? They're more likely to need the help.
I agree and I am between those ages.

Also, with the growing percentage of the population that qualifies for senior discounts, I'd think they'd start going away...probably shortly after I reach the qualifying age.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Some of those discounts have restrictions not listed. For example, Kohls store, the senior discount is Wednesdays only at the Kohls by us, ditto for Salvation Army stores.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Some of the discounts - especially those connected with AARP - kick in at age 50.

What I find is that the younger the cashier, the more likely I will get the senior discounts without asking. Also, if you show up to dinner well before 5 pm, you get the "early bird" senior discounts. You gotta love it.

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

I checked the one senior discount I am aware of and it's wrong.
Beall's gives a 15% discount on Tuesdays to seniors not 20% and it's every Tuesday not once a month.
(Don't know whether to be happy or not but I didn't get the discount once and had to go back. No they didn't ask for ID when I went back)

Not sure how Dunkin Donuts could afford to give away coffee to 55+ in most of Florida without going broke lol.

I just discovered that 65+ (FL residents) don't have to buy a fishing license in Florida. Not publicized anywhere but clearly in the regs I read online. Too bad my husband doesn't like to fish. We give gas money (boat) to a neighbor that is good at it and he gives us fish.

edit to add: I just checked Publix and there is no senior discount in Florida, just in certain other states and markets (the ones with fewer seniors I'd guess).

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm not sure the RiteAid thing is correct. They changed their plan a few times in the past few years. Once, by accident I suspect, seniors lost out because you got a credit for prescriptions but not those paid for by the government, i.e. Medicare ones didn't count. They fixed that to some extent in the next iteration.

I think the current one is 20% off on the first Wednesday of the month. Or if you spend a certain amount during the year, you get to certain discount levels for everything all the time. You need a Wellness card for the spending ones. I don't think there is a special category for seniors any more.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:37 pm

frugaltype wrote:I'm not sure the RiteAid thing is correct. They changed their plan a few times in the past few years. Once, by accident I suspect, seniors lost out because you got a credit for prescriptions but not those paid for by the government, i.e. Medicare ones didn't count. They fixed that to some extent in the next iteration.

I think the current one is 20% off on the first Wednesday of the month. Or if you spend a certain amount during the year, you get to certain discount levels for everything all the time. You need a Wellness card for the spending ones. I don't think there is a special category for seniors any more.
I found out a couple of years ago that Long Island beaches are free to seniors during the week, pretty nifty.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:32 pm

National Park Service Senior Pass $10 lifetime for us citizens and permanent residents age 62 and over. 50% discount for camping and possibly other services. Card good for 4 people in the car to enter park. Can be used at national parks, national monuments, bureau of land management, us forest service and other federal recreation lands.
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Wiki

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I have a suspicion that some of the franchise-related offers might not be company-wide. For example, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Arby's, KFC, Taco Bell.... I have never heard of some of these discounts. Is it possible these are local offers by individual franchisees?

Note that the referenced link is by an ordinary poster, and possibly should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of the follow-up posts have different information.

derosa

Post by derosa » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Harris Teeter senior discount is in Thursday, not Tuesday. It is 5% doesn't include alcohol.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

[quote="daytona084"]I have a suspicion that some of the franchise-related offers might not be company-wide. For example, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Arby's, KFC, Taco Bell.... I have never heard of some of these discounts. Is it possible these are local offers by individual franchisees?

Note that the referenced link is by an ordinary poster, and possibly should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of the follow-up posts have different information.[/quote

Ordinary poster :confused I thought this might prove useful for those interested in exploring.

MnD

Post by MnD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

john94549 wrote:When you think about it, should not they be offering the discounts to the "under-30" set? They're more likely to need the help.
No kidding.
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/11/ ... ell-being/
In all, the typical household headed by someone younger than 35 has seen its net worth fall by 68 percent between 1984 and 2009, after adjusting for inflation, according to the Pew report released Monday. Those in the 35-to-44 age group also saw a decline in net worth over that period, a drop of 44 percent.

By contrast, older households posted gains in wealth over the past quarter century. Net worth rose 42 percent for households headed by someone 65 or older. Other age categories saw either a modest gain (10 percent for those age 55 to 64) or a modest decline (10 percent for those age 45 to 54). Overall, the median US household posted a 10 percent gain.

What explains this big divergence?

Top reasons include housing-market trends that have favored the old over the young, the rising burden of student loans on college graduates, and a job market in which challenges appear to have affected younger age groups more heavily.

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 am

EternalOptimist wrote:
daytona084 wrote:I have a suspicion that some of the franchise-related offers might not be company-wide. For example, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Arby's, KFC, Taco Bell.... I have never heard of some of these discounts. Is it possible these are local offers by individual franchisees?

Note that the referenced link is by an ordinary poster, and possibly should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of the follow-up posts have different information.
Ordinary poster :confused I thought this might prove useful for those interested in exploring.
EternalOptimist: Sorry if you thought this "ordinary poster" was referring to you... I was referring to the poster in the forum link you referenced in the OP. My point is that some of the info the referenced post (as pointed out by a few others on this thread and on the referenced thread itself) apparently is not accurate.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Colorado offers a Property Tax Exemption to senior homeowners >=65, who have lived at the same address >=10 years. 50% of the first $200K of primary residence's assessed property value is exempted.

"Senior and Veteran Property-Tax Programs"
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Tr ... 1590262914

I tried the Subway 10% senior discount and got it.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.