Direct TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CV

Direct TV?

Post by CV » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:25 am

I bought a house about a year ago and it had/has a Direct TV dish on a post in the yard. I've never had satellite TV and have had good enough service with cable (Comcast) so I went with cable. A year later, I'm still with Comcast and the dish is still in the yard.

My cable bill is about $65 a month. That's just cable TV as I need no other service they provide. I have a cell phone and I use an iPad with $G LTE for internet access.

I'm looking at my expenses and decided to check out Direct TV costs. It looks like their lowest package is $29.99 per month, about half of what I'm paying. But I'd hate to switch and later regret it. I only watch a handful of channels and so I don't need a fancier package than the basic one, but I do need some channels. I'm not a movie or sports watcher and I'enjoy cable news (even CNBC!!!)

For those of you with Direct TV, how do you like it? Do you think the dish in the yard is functional and they could just kickstart it back to life? Do I have to pay for or lease equipment (receiver, new dish, etc.) What am I possibly getting into?

goaties

Re: Direct TV?

Post by goaties » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 am

We have Dish, which is Directv's competitor. You know, it strikes me you might be a good candidate for over-the-air broadcasting since you're not a slave to your TV anyway. You can get fully digital HD broadcasts for free. Depending on where you live and how efficient the antenna you use, you might get more channels than you imagine. Try tvfool.com or antennaweb.com to see what you might get.

That said, that 29.95 rate is almost certainly a teaser to get you in the door. Yes, the dish in your yard can probably be used, but they will give you a set-top box and then will try to charge you more for a DVR upgrade (which becomes pretty hard to live without once you have it!). Satellite also charges by how many tvs you want to connect (although I guess cable does too). That 29.95 will be closer to 40 by the time they add all that, and taxes and fees.

Cable is more reliable than satellite. Every time it rains hard, we lose our satellite reception.

CV

Post by CV » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks, goaties, I'll check those two sites out.

jowi

Post by jowi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 am

We have Directv and rarely have any problems - it has to be raining REALLY hard for it to start clicking out. If snow collects on it, it needs to be wiped off (doesn't happen every time it snows but will sometimes happen during a snow storm) so you're lucky it is in the yard - I've seen them on people's roofs and I wonder how that works!

Those news shows have a lot of clips online, so if you can do without it, I would just go with OTA TV if you can. I watch all my shows down on my treadmill via DVR or Netflix (ff through commercials) and get kind of OCD about the time so if one show ends at 43 minutes, I have to get to at LEAST 47 minutes on my treadmill (I KNOW, LOL!) so often I'll switch over to CNN to try to have something to watch for just a few minutes and while I stretch out. I swear, EVERY time I do that, I get COMMERCIALS!!! My DH watches CNN live and, honestly, I don't get how anyone could do that! The commericals are just insane! So now I just record a few things that are easy to watch in little snippits and just watch that instead. I just refuse to watch commercials! Anyway, that's just me. But if you do go OTA, I'd check out some sort of digital DVR device so you can FF through ads - simple.tv looks interesting - or something like it.

Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 am

One warning...if you ever have to speak with them, Direct TV has the worst customer service on the planet (IMHO).

goaties

Post by goaties » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 am

jowi wrote:.... But if you do go OTA, I'd check out some sort of digital DVR device so you can FF through ads - simple.tv looks interesting - or something like it.
Yeah, this is good advice. I have played around some with Windows media center...you can set it so that it downloads TV program information and then you can use it to schedule recording OTA broadcasts onto your computer. Sorta like a homemade DVR. I'm sure there are many on this forum who can tell you more. I've also looked a bit into Roku and the like which will let you stream TV from the internet, which you're already paying for.

So many alternative,s it'll make your head spin!

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:03 am

We've had DirecTV for years. No problems and when I've called customer service, they've been professional, courteous and helpful.

soaring

Post by soaring » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 am

Kuota Rider wrote:One warning...if you ever have to speak with them, Direct TV has the worst customer service on the planet (IMHO).
I know that was true years ago because we have had DirecTv since 2004 when their service was very poor. But in the past 5 yrs the few times I've called I get someone within 2-5 minutes and my needs have been solved each time.
Desiderata

soaring

Post by soaring » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 am

CV wrote:I bought a house about a year ago and it had/has a Direct TV dish on a post in the yard. I've never had satellite TV and have had good enough service with cable (Comcast) so I went with cable. A year later, I'm still with Comcast and the dish is still in the yard.

My cable bill is about $65 a month. That's just cable TV as I need no other service they provide. I have a cell phone and I use an iPad with $G LTE for internet access.

I'm looking at my expenses and decided to check out Direct TV costs. It looks like their lowest package is $29.99 per month, about half of what I'm paying. But I'd hate to switch and later regret it. I only watch a handful of channels and so I don't need a fancier package than the basic one, but I do need some channels. I'm not a movie or sports watcher and I'enjoy cable news (even CNBC!!!)

For those of you with Direct TV, how do you like it? Do you think the dish in the yard is functional and they could just kickstart it back to life? Do I have to pay for or lease equipment (receiver, new dish, etc.) What am I possibly getting into?
I think the $29.99 is a 12 month intro offer that rises to $54.99 at the end of the promotion. DirecTv replaces or uses the dish at their expense. I'm sure you must sign up for 24 months to get free installation and the intro offer. The basic cable box is no charge.

We have had premium DirecTv since 2004 with TiVo. No problems except with TiVo which was finally resolved. If you can get OTA based on your location that would be free so I'd try that first.
Desiderata

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:42 am

We cancelled our DirecTV last summer after 10 years of service. Even though we are no longer customers (wanted to reduce overall TV watching in our house) I can't say enough positive things about them. We always had great service and their programming was a better value (to us) than any of their competitors.

You will probably need new equipment, but I believe they include it in their packages. We had two sets of equipment during our time with them and didn't pay for any of it.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 am

Kuota Rider wrote: Direct TV has the worst customer service on the planet

My friend, Direct TV is a five star hotel when comparing service to Century Link.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 am

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

The service is okay. A bit cheaper than cable due to no city/county taxes, only sales tax on the receivers each month which works out to ~48 cents on $6 vs the $10 taxes on cable. Due to weather it has only gone out once in 3 years when it rained really hard. They usually have some channel disputes which is a good opportunity to call in for some deals. Last big channel mess they had with Viacom they gave me $28 off for a year (on top of the 2nd year regular discounts) and free nfl sunday ticket. This year, not so much. I could switch to something else as I'm off contract but my wife is tired of switching.

arsenebould

Post by arsenebould » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:51 am

Hey CV,

Also if you use my account number([(removed) --admin LadyGeek]) and tell them you were referred you will get 100$ off i.e 10$ off additionally each month.

Their customer service is the best , I had talked to dish tv and its pathetic.

Hope You enjoy viewing directv

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:02 am

We have been Directv customers for a decade, and love them. Excellent customer service and their retention dept will offer some very nice discounts when you are almost out of contract.

I love their features too. For example, the guide data is in beautiful HD. Comcast and Fios guide data look like crap compared to that. Also, I really like that the Info section for any movie contains the Rotten Tomatoes and Flixster scores.

bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 am

We previously subscribed to Direct TV but switched to cable a few years back. I believe standard cable was cheaper after the teaser rate expired and that was the main impetus for the switch. I can't recall the actual difference. I didn't care for all the many channels. Like you I tended to only watch a handful regularly. The only thing I miss is that Direct TV had 2 home improvement channels; whereas our current cable option only has 1. I don't miss the TV signal going out during severe weather due to the satelite dish which periodically happens. As above, I agree they can probably easily get the old satelite in the yard working again and there will probably be an additional TV set box rental charge.

CV

Post by CV » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks, everyone. Still not sure which way I'll go but this input has helped.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm

You can see if the cable company will match the offer to retain you.

persimmon_tree

Post by persimmon_tree » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:39 pm

soaring wrote: If you can get OTA based on your location that would be free so I'd try that first.
Agree.
If you are within about 40 miles from a central broadcasting tower,
try OTA, and mount the HD antenna on your DirecTV post (maybe you won't miss CNBC).
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Qualit ... s=rca+751r

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:50 pm

That would be a teaser rate - it seems to end up being about the same as cable after the first year and it's a two year contract. When my directv bill gets too high and is off-contract I call them, say it costs too much and that I am switching, then they always seem to manage to knock $30 or so off the bill for 6 months to a year ... at which point I repeat or switch. The process seems silly but I suppose enough customers just pay whatever they charge so it works for them.

greenbldg

Post by greenbldg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Everyone is quick to give you a referral so they can get the $10 for 10 months = $100 too. (Mine is 77258095)

Here's the complete hookup since I did this last year:

If you do consider, don't stop w/ the referral discount. Bundle those deals! Be sure to pick up the ($200 Costco or Sams Card, $150 Best Buy, AAA) + $100 BoA deal, or other discounts.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6251044-directv ... amerideals

Average the cost over the 2 year agreement to get the overall average monthly cost w/ the deals.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/directv/71 ... Luc333daAQ

My bill is $62/month for the basic package w/ one tv after the 1 year period. Deals were in year 1.

There is a $6 insurance fee that is automatically added so you'll need to request that it not be added to your account before the first bill.

I paid less than $25 for the first 6 months (only $17 one month) and picked up the $150 Best Buy gift card.

That's the real cost. Overall pretty happy w/ the deal. The genie works decent for recording all of the shows at once.

Enjoy

tj

Post by tj » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Don't bother with these guys referrals. You can get $200 through Costco or AAA. Costco being a Costco cash card and AAA being $10 statement credit for 20 months.

http://www.costco.com/directv.html
www.aaa.com/directv

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:37 pm

tj wrote:Don't bother with these guys referrals. You can get $200 through Costco or AAA. Costco being a Costco cash card and AAA being $10 statement credit for 20 months.

http://www.aaa.com/directv
You can get both I believe. Not sure why my offer was erased.. I didn't put my account number like others, just trying to help (and there's one still there).

tj

Post by tj » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:39 pm

mikep wrote:
tj wrote:Don't bother with these guys referrals. You can get $200 through Costco or AAA. Costco being a Costco cash card and AAA being $10 statement credit for 20 months.

http://www.aaa.com/directv
You can get both I believe. Not sure why my offer was erased.. I didn't put my account number like others, just trying to help (and there's one still there).

You can't stack it. I know some people managed to sneak through by playing CSR roulette.

feh

Post by feh » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:57 pm

We cut the cord 5 years ago. Our only TV watching is OTA and Netflix.

That being said, I have been a satellite TV customer in the past. For just TV, I'll take satellite over cable any day of the week. It's generally less expensive.

Things get more complicated if you want internet access at your house. In our area, the choice is cable or DSL, where cable is about 10 times faster. If you want pay TV and fast internet, bundling cable services is probably the best choice.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm

My TV comes direct over the airwaves with a good old fashioned antenna. Many years ago it cost about $150 from Radio Shack. I get HD reception from all the classic networks. There are internet resources to learn what channels one can likely receive and what the best direction to aim the antenna is.

My monthly expense for this is zero.
4nursebee

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

We have had DirecTV for several years, primarily to obtain the NFL Sunday Ticket package, and the service has been pretty good without significant problems. Occasionally we have issues with strong rain, snow, wind, etc., but I'd say 99.5% of the time we are fine, and when those issues occur they usually pass within 5-10 minutes.

Some other things to note:

-The $29.99 rate is almost certainly a teaser rate, and/or is only for the basic package (i.e., no HD service, basic channel lineup). We have the basic channel lineup with HD, and our bill is around $100/mo (not counting the Sunday Ticket package).
-If you want HD service, there is something like a $10/mo. fee on top of the regular fee (although this may be "hidden" in some of the packages - i.e. "Choice," "Choice XTRA," etc.).
-If you ever decide you want to add a new box to a new room, you'll likely have to pay a fee to get the box. If it's an HDR box, the fee is like $300. And no, you don't actually own the box (you have to give it back when you cancel service). Yes, this is very annoying.
-Also, when you add a box or otherwise change your service, they make you sign a new 2-year agreement from that point in time.
-The penalties for cancelling the service prior to the expiration of the 2-year agreement can be pretty exorbitant (+$400?), but I think decline with each passing month.
+On a positive note, I think that their channel guide is MUCH better than those of the competition (well organized, easy to find channels).
-However, the software on the boxes (at least on mine) seems to run really slowly at times (takes 4-8 seconds just to change channels sometimes).

FWIW, if it weren't for our "need" to have the NFL Sunday Ticket, we would likely just have regular cable.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:28 pm

People have mentioned it but the $30/month has to be a limited time special offer.

I've had DirecTv for about 10 years now and couldn't be more pleased with it in general. Superior to any cable service I'd had in the past. The only thing I don't like is they don't have a "cheap" plan--I don't need or want 180-200+ channels, and wish I had some options for the paying about 1/2 the minimum all-in cost of ~$70/month. I actually "suspend" my service for about 6 months out of the year lately over the summer when there's no football or college hoops to watch. But if you really like TV, DirecTv is a good provider, far better than the local Comcast where I live.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:45 pm

I've been a DirecTv customer since '99 and have been really happy. I actually think their customer service is pretty good. If you contact them and ask for a deal or complain about something, they have no problem giving you some promos or freebies to keep you happy...you just need to pick up the phone.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Has anyone paused their DirectTV service? I have Dish in a place in Arizona that I only use winters, and I've had no problems pausing the service for up to 6 months (no charges). The only hassle is that I have to make a phone call to both stop and restart the service -- it would be nicer to just do it online. What can you do with DirectTV?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

camden

Post by camden » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am

Judging from the above replies, the reliability of Directv reception must vary considerably depending on where you live. A few years ago, I moved to an area not served by cable, and have used Directv since. Works fine as long as the weather is decent, but ever time it rains more than a light drizzle, we lose reception. If I had a choice, I would go back to cable in a heartbeat.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:11 am

CV wrote:I bought a house about a year ago and it had/has a Direct TV dish on a post in the yard. I've never had satellite TV and have had good enough service with cable (Comcast) so I went with cable. A year later, I'm still with Comcast and the dish is still in the yard.

I didn't read any of the other replies, but here was my experience. I had DirectTV for about 4 years. Whenever there was bad weather, the reception was affected and there was numerous times I went without TV. I was paying for the basic channels around what you pay. I joined the no cable, no dish movement about 6 years ago and never looked back. I canceled DirectTV and bought a Roku box and watch pretty much what I did when I had cable. I paid a one time fee of $300 to a technician to put an antenna on my roof to get all the network channel. The picture is much better with the antenna compared to DirectTV because the signal is not compressed. In fact, the DirectTV picture was pretty bad quality wise. Although I can't watch CNBC like I did on DirectTV, Roku has CNBC that plays most of the highlights throughout the day. Think CNBC light. This is a free channel. As far as all the other cable channels I got hooked on, I can watch most of them on Amazon Prime which is around $76 for the year and I also pay $7.99 for Netflix per month. So my total bill is around 14 dollars a month. There are a lot of free channels on Roku. There is a one time fee for the Roku box which ranges from $50 to $100.

Now that I stream TV and get all the regular channels for free (like the old days), I can't believe people pay for cable. Unless you are a sports junkie, you can stream your shows for much less and watch when you want.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:15 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (DIRECTV). Note that they spell the name in all caps- DIRECTV.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

feh

Post by feh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:16 pm

For folks that are reporting signal issues when it rains - I suggest you have your antenna re-aimed. Unless you are at a very high latitude, you should not experience loss of signal except in rare conditions.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:26 pm

hornet96 wrote:-However, the software on the boxes (at least on mine) seems to run really slowly at times (takes 4-8 seconds just to change channels sometimes).
Be sure you have the latest box. Call and ask. I called and found I was eligible for a free upgrade to the latest hardware.

The latest is much faster, has much more room to store recorded programs, can record 4 or 5 programs at once as you watch another, picture in picture and a few other goodies I don't bother with. It's nice to just pick what you want to record and not worry about conflicts. The "priority" concept hardly matters anymore.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:43 pm

bertilak wrote: I called and found I was eligible for a free upgrade to the latest hardware.
I bet that "free" upgrade came with a mandatory 2-year contract extension, right?

As they say around here.... no free lunch. :wink:

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:44 pm

hornet96 wrote:
bertilak wrote: I called and found I was eligible for a free upgrade to the latest hardware.
I bet that "free" upgrade came with a mandatory 2-year contract extension, right?

As they say around here.... no free lunch. :wink:
Probably, but I have no intention of dropping them anyway. (I was planning on buying lunch anyway so it was nice to get a free desert!)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

stemikger wrote:

I didn't read any of the other replies, but here was my experience. I had DirectTV for about 4 years. Whenever there was bad weather, the reception was affected and there was numerous times I went without TV. I was paying for the basic channels around what you pay. I joined the no cable, no dish movement about 6 years ago and never looked back. I canceled DirectTV and bought a Roku box and watch pretty much what I did when I had cable. I paid a one time fee of $300 to a technician to put an antenna on my roof to get all the network channel. The picture is much better with the antenna compared to DirectTV because the signal is not compressed. In fact, the DirectTV picture was pretty bad quality wise. Although I can't watch CNBC like I did on DirectTV, Roku has CNBC that plays most of the highlights throughout the day. Think CNBC light. This is a free channel. As far as all the other cable channels I got hooked on, I can watch most of them on Amazon Prime which is around $76 for the year and I also pay $7.99 for Netflix per month. So my total bill is around 14 dollars a month. There are a lot of free channels on Roku. There is a one time fee for the Roku box which ranges from $50 to $100.

Now that I stream TV and get all the regular channels for free (like the old days), I can't believe people pay for cable. Unless you are a sports junkie, you can stream your shows for much less and watch when you want.
This is the problem for me. I've considered going the Apple TV or Roku route myself, but the sports coverage just doesn't match cable or satellite tv.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:59 pm

If you're considering DirecTV, be sure to check out the deal at Costco. It was substantially cheaper than the stated rate on the web site.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 pm

This is the problem for me. I've considered going the Apple TV or Roku route myself, but the sports coverage just doesn't match cable or satellite tv.
It really just depends on the sports that you watch - as well as if you are a fan of a specific team.

MLB, NBA and NHL all have internet packages you can use Roku or Apple TV for out of market regular season games. You'd miss a handful of games on national TV, but it's the postseason where you really would need a paid tv subscription.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 pm

I don't think that Roku can in any way compare to DirectTV. I bought a Roku and the only free channel that I use is Plex, where I add my favorite old TV shows via YouTube. I guess that Netflix or Amazon Prime might help a little, but it really is minor league next to DirectTV.

That being said, I find that DirectTV's prices have crept steadily higher (I now pay close to $100/month for basic, non-HD programming on my 3 TVs) while their customer service has gone way downhill over the past few years. They even seem to give you less days to pay your bill before a penalty kicks in than any other utility/service that I use/own.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:07 pm

That's a teaser rate. You will get nickle-and-dimed for lots of other things even at that rate, too. Look at the fine print under the $29.99/month rate and you'll see what it actually costs after the promotional period.

My most recent bill, for one of their lowest packages (Choice), is $64.99/month base, and they will raise it upon a whim without requiring any approval from you. In addition, there is a $10/month fee for HD, a $10/month fee for having a DVR, and a $2 regional sports fee. Additional receivers cost extra every month, "whole-home" DVR costs extra every month, and so on. All of these fees rise quickly as well...a few years ago, the DVR fee was $4, and it has risen steadily.

I've been with DirecTV for many years now, partially because I'm a dedicated NFL fan of an out-of-market team. If you do stay with them for a while, you just have to make sure to call them up and complain every so often to get discounts or temporary free services. The quality is very good, though we live in an area without inclement weather. Nevertheless, at this price I'd drop them tomorrow if not for the other adult resident of my house.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

Spike53

Post by Spike53 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 pm

One thing you have to watch with Direct TV is that whenever you make a change (like get a new box), they automatically renew you for another two years. That is very irritating.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 am

yolli71
I would think this is a problem for most men. I'm a rare bird, I have no interest in sports at all. My Father-in Law is a big Giants fan and I wish I enjoyed it enough to share that with him, but I just get so bored. My wife does benefit, because I rather go shopping with her then stayed glued to the t.v.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!