Who here uses an electronic recipe collection ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hexdump

Who here uses an electronic recipe collection ?

Post by Hexdump » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:03 pm

My wife has collected a jillion recipes in printed form and wants to improve her method by going electronic.

She asked me a question and I had no clue so here I am.
If she finds a recipe that she likes and saves it to a recipe book at the site where she found it, what happens if the site decides to delete the recipe from their main listings ? Will it remain in her personal collection ?
I am guessing that it would vary depending on the site.

Otherwise are there electronic recipe books that you would recommend ? Particularly one that would let her save recipes from multiple sites ?

Thanks

JamesSFO

Re: Who here uses an electronic recipe collection ?

Post by JamesSFO » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Evernote and/or Evernote/Food is my go to place for storing recipes. No dependency on sites keeping recipes up. Easy for me to annotate recipes. Tag them myself/etc.

Evernote's free version has a fairly high limit on content so easy to use.

EDIT to add - There is a web clipper extension for most web browsers to clip the recipe into Evernote

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm

We've used Recipe Manager for several years but recently switched to Paprika. It also has an app.

berntson

Post by berntson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:53 pm

My wife started using the program YummySoup to store our recipes. The problem with these sorts of solutions is that they are proprietary. If the developer goes under or stops supporting the app, there is no guarantee that there will be any easy way to move your recipes from their program to a new one. The same goes for storing recipes on websites. So we gave up on that.

We now use plain text files stored on dropbox for our recipes. There are no fancy pictures or other interactive features, but plain text will be a readable format long after the current proprietary recipe programs go the way of the dinosaurs. Since the files are synced with dropbox and written in a standard format, the dropbox app on our iOS devices can display files. So we can easily access our recipes not only on our computers, but on our iPad and iPhone. And the whole setup is free!

Mumfie

Post by Mumfie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Bookmarks in Chrome/Folder Named Recipes/links to favorite recipes :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:42 am

I run my own WordPress website and post my favorite recipes so I can easily access them from my tablet and share them with family.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:12 am

I have paper recipes that my mother clipped and copied beginning in the 1940s; many of them are family favorites. What are the chances of your digital recipe collection being usable 70+ years from now? Not to mention the nostalgia of using recipes written in my mother's own hand. My wife has hand written recipes that we frequently use from at least four generations of her side of the family.

Polydorus

Post by Polydorus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:45 am

Mike Scott wrote:I have paper recipes that my mother clipped and copied beginning in the 1940s; many of them are family favorites. What are the chances of your digital recipe collection being usable 70+ years from now? Not to mention the nostalgia of using recipes written in my mother's own hand. My wife has hand written recipes that we frequently use from at least four generations of her side of the family.
I you have fire or flood damage to your home you might lose all paper recipes. It's nice to have a digital backup copy off site. :)

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:18 am

Polydorus wrote:
Mike Scott wrote:I have paper recipes that my mother clipped and copied beginning in the 1940s; many of them are family favorites. What are the chances of your digital recipe collection being usable 70+ years from now? Not to mention the nostalgia of using recipes written in my mother's own hand. My wife has hand written recipes that we frequently use from at least four generations of her side of the family.
I you have fire or flood damage to your home you might lose all paper recipes. It's nice to have a digital backup copy off site. :)
Read the tech reports (plus personal experience) on the risks of losing digital data. I will take my chances with fire and water.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 am

My mom typed many hundreds of recipes onto index cards from the LA Times, Sunset, and other magazines that she found interesting in the 60s and 70s. She is a good typist so I expect each one took her less than 5 minutes. Unfortunately she never made many of the recipes, and when I was cleaning out her house I simply put all of this into a dumpster as I did not want her clutter to become my clutter. Clipping hundreds of recipes into Evernote or bookmarking hundreds of web sites is the digital equivalent.

I'd limit family favorites that you want to pass on to future generations to under 25 recipes. The rest its not a big deal if it gets lost or has to be re-created.

winglessangel31

Post by winglessangel31 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Good old Microsoft OneNote (part of Office) is excellent for a recipe collection (note-taking, and just about anything else) for websites, you can "Print to OneNote" and it will take a printout (all pages) of the website and put it in a OneNote page. To make things easier, you can select to make the text searchable, which means finding a recipe you don't remember if you filed under Main Dishes or Holiday will be superbly easy. :sharebeer

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:19 pm

I download recipes, smash the recipe together with a photo with Paint, and save it in a simple folder setup, much like a recipe box. I keep the untried ones separate from the known ones.

I have my Mom's recipe box scanned in also, in jpg, but of course have the actual recipes and box as well.

The only problem is Mom didn't write down a number of recipes that were in her brain. I did ask her for some and recorded them, but I still find gaps.

The digital copies are backed up, including periodically off site, just like my other digital data.

rjc32000

Post by rjc32000 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 pm

+1 for Paprika. I use it all the time, and love the convenience. You can browse (within Paprika) to recipe websites, and it will automatically save and organize the ingredients, directions, etc. Super easy to double or half recipes, and you can generate and email a convenient shopping list from single or multiple recipes you've saved.

island

Post by island » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:38 pm

rjc32000 wrote:+1 for Paprika.
Is that only available for an iphone, ipad or Mac users?

rjc32000

Post by rjc32000 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Sorry, it very well might be. I use it exclusively on my iPad.

Topic Author
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:15 pm

island wrote:
I read where it is available for the Nook which I just bought based upon another thread.
A good thing is that it can sync with my wife's android phone.
This is going to be funnnn.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 am

Hexdump wrote:
island wrote:
I read where it is available for the Nook which I just bought based upon another thread.
A good thing is that it can sync with my wife's android phone.
This is going to be funnnn.
Link to it for the nook:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/paprika ... 1113723163

I see it costs $4.99. I started browsing around that area. So far I have only downloaded free apps to my Nook, but I can see this is a potential money sink :-)

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 am

I bookmark recipe pages in the browser, and if I keep going back to the same page, I paste the recipe to a text file.
.txt files will never go out of business.

side note: shop shop is a great free (iphone/ipod) app for grocery shopping lists.