iPad and air print

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

iPad and air print

Post by hoops777 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Any opinions on printing with air print and the new iPad air.I have read a lot of blogs with very mixed opinions and I am afraid my Belkin router with my uverse will not work.Trying to decide to whether to buy the printer or not.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

DSInvestor

Re: iPad and air print

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 pm

The issue is whether the printer is AirPrint compatible and how it would connect to the network. Uverse service is not an issue. belkin router should be fine too. I've an old brother HL-5250DN network printer (connected via ethernet cable directly to router) that isn't AirPrint compatible and I had to use brother app to print from ios devices. What printer do you have now?

PC mag how to print from your ipad
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362451,00.asp
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:27 pm

I don't have an air print printer but I print from my iPad & iPhone via Printopia.

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I'll second DSInvestor's reply. I can print to a pretty low budget Epson wifi printer using Epson's iPrint app.

aquifer

Post by aquifer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 pm

AirPrint works great, but if the printer goes into a power saving deep sleep mode you have to manually wake it up before it will show up in the print menu. Printopia gets around this limitation but you have to have a Mac and you have to leave it awake. If you don't mind needing to wake the printer up before trying to print you'll get along fine. I have the new iPad Air and I have used air print a number of times. After waking up the printer of course.... Not sure if this is a shortcoming of the brand of printer I have (Brother) or of the protocol.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:24 pm

AirPrint works great with our iPad3. We have an Epson Workforce 845 printer which is Apple compatible.

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:03 pm

I have not bought a printer yet.Thank you fr the replies.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Can someone explain what air print is?
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:34 am

abuss368 wrote:Can someone explain what air print is?
Apple AirPrint basics
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356
AirPrint is an Apple technology that lets you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers. AirPrint is built in to many printer models from most popular printer manufacturers. Just select an AirPrint printer on your local network and print from your favorite iOS or OS X app.
Wiki

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Apple AirPrint basics
AirPrint is an Apple technology that lets you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers. AirPrint is built in to many printer models from most popular printer manufacturers. Just select an AirPrint printer on your local network and print from your favorite iOS or OS X app.
And it is all done wirelessly, which is the best part.

stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:03 pm

FWIW, I have a brother laser printer (2270DW) and despite it not being 'air print' compatible, I can print to it from an iOS device via the Brother "iPrint&Scan" app (free). As mentioned above, there are other 3rd party apps that enable printing to non air print printers.

The only thing I can't do is print an email directly from the mail app. I think that may require an air print printer...
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Apple AirPrint basics
Thank you for explaining this. As a recent Apple user (i.e. leaving the Windows products over time) I am very interested to learn as much as possible. One thing I will admit is Apple makes things very easy.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:57 am

Sorry for re opening old thread but have a question and found this sort of relevant post.

For those that use AirPrint, do you find that printing anything with graphics (i.e. Coupon for a restaurant) takes a long time to print from the moment you click "print" to the document actually printing? Seems instant with plain text but takes several minutes with graphics. Yes, I understand larger documents may take longer...but are others noting such a time lag like I'm seeing? Like 5 mins, no exaggeration.

I have great wifi signals near the printer and iDevice and have done plenty of network troubleshooting so I'm fairly confident it's not that.
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:19 am

I am writing this reply on an ipad air. I print from it a lot. Printing is a little bit slower than on a laptop.
My printer is a good quality Brother laser printer.

Slow network, or small amount of memory on printer. Maybe an inefficient print driver for your printer on the ipad. Quite a few variables.

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:01 am

Oops posting specs would have helped as you imply...
HP laserjet p1109w
iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:52 pm

miles2go wrote:For those that use AirPrint, do you find that printing anything with graphics (i.e. Coupon for a restaurant) takes a long time to print from the moment you click "print" to the document actually printing? Seems instant with plain text but takes several minutes with graphics. Yes, I understand larger documents may take longer...but are others noting such a time lag like I'm seeing? Like 5 mins, no exaggeration.
The way AirPrint works, print jobs have to be rendered so it's entirely possible for graphics to take longer to process. Speed can also depend on your AirPrint solution and its processing power.