Converting to Safety Razors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
12thman

Converting to Safety Razors

Post by 12thman »

Just read an article over at Art of Manliness http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/0 ... r-grandpa/ and decided to take the plunge. I was mostly moved by the cost effectiveness of spending pennies per blade. The mach 3 and replacement cartriges were too much of a luxury. I used to get the jumbo pack of the cheapest disposables at Costco and although they did the trick, my face to a beating because of it.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else take the plunge?
dm200

Re: Converting to Safety Razors

Post by dm200 »

Recently I started using very inexpensive disposable razors - not expensive at all. I do NOT need (or want) the "latest and greatest" of the triple bladed gizmos with other (expensve) options.

Actually, for me, shaving like Grandpa would be using a straight razor! (No - I am NOT doing that!)
rob

Post by rob »

I have started using cheap double blade razors when traveling because it's just easier without plugs and dealing with battery razors...... Get a decent shaving cream - not the expanding foam crap but old style in a tube which is far easier for travel with the "security" Pantomime.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
morbster

Post by morbster »

I've been using razors from Dollar Shave Club for about a year now, and have been very pleased with the quality of both the product and customer service, and the price is a great deal.

I upgraded to their medium quality razors recently ($6 for 4 cartridges, free shipping), and have nothing but great things to say about their product.

Best of luck to OP on braving the it the old-fashioned way.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I've used the same Mach 3 blade for almost a year.
Gordon
MIGIHIDARI

Post by MIGIHIDARI »

Went back to Safety razor about 3 months ago. Boy, what a revelation! Feather blades made in Japan at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Razor-Bla ... B004RWTQTS
These are world's sharpest blades. Bought a package of 100 and will probably last me for 2 years! Used to use Gillete Good news! I tell you these double edged blades are Bettere news!
Using feather safety razor:
http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Popular-B ... B007F7LLV8
This is the cheapest in their line but is the best safety razor in my view.
Word of caution though. You might nick your face first 2-3 days or so because with plastic blades you tend to press hard. These feather blades are meant to just glide on your face and they do a better job.
You can still keep on using your foam-can if you want. I used until it was finished. Then bought shaving soap with brush like I did in my teeage years.
jobst

Post by jobst »

I went from a Mach 3 and pressurised foam, to a double-edge razor and solid soap, in two steps.

The biggest upgrade for me was switching away from the can of foam, and to a proper soap (I use Proraso soap) lathered with a badger bristle brush. Even using the old Mach 3 there was immediate improvement in closeness and a reduction in irritation. Further improvements were made on switching out the Mach 3 for the double-edge razors, but this is the step that takes extra time in the mornings, and adds hassle to travelling, so isn't without downside.

I have quite coarse thick facial hair, which irritates my skin as it grows back in. Something about the way the double edge works causes the regrowth to bother me less when it comes in -- maybe it's closer, maybe it's cut more cleanly, who knows.

Of course the biggest improvement came from giving up altogether and growing a beard!
hoopy

Post by hoopy »

I switched a few months ago and really like it.

I tried several brands of razor blades before I found some I like. There are sellers on Amazon that sell sample packs, with up to 10 different brands. Worth trying something like that first.

I also bought a cheap $3 stainless steel razor from Amazon. It is pretty good. I believe you don't need an expensive razor, they all work well.
Swivelguy

Post by Swivelguy »

I switched to safety razors about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. It's not just the blades that produce savings, but also the cream. I've been using the same puck of shave soap for about 2 years now. The savings are nice, but it's a small slice of your budget to start with. Do it for the greater level of control that you have over your shave, not for money.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

I started using double edge razors, bought 3 of them (no cost savings there). Best one was an R89 from Muhle (http://www.connaughtshaving.com, $37 including shipping from england). Beautiful razor. Second razor is made by Weber. Also really good, but more expensive. Third razor is made by Ikon (open comb, way too aggressive for me, again, more expensive). Feather blades are sharpest.

The razor blades are cheap, i change them weekly just because they are cheap, always sharp. Closer shave than triple blade cartridge. I cut my face initially, now only occasionally a little bit.

Probably cheapest ($$) to use double edge razors and shaving soap/cream + brush, but it takes more time to shave, especially the time to generate the lather from shaving soap/creme puck. Makes sense if you like the process of shaving with a DE razor (or on a really tight budget). I use the shaving creme in a can during the work week for the time savings.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Do be careful. I switched a few years ago but would occasionally use too much pressure and once did significant damage near my Adam's Apple. I got some Shick Quattro disposables really cheap and have been using them. Will probably switch back to safety razor when I'm done, because I'm not inclined to spend $2.50 or more for a razor.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I would not jump into the feathers, they are so sharp that if you don't ease into them you will end up with severe razor burn. The art of shaving with the double edge blade takes a little time to get the hang of, so I would recommend getting a trial pack of blades to start with, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Double-Safety-Raz ... ades+trial
or a smaller pack so you can see which one you like the best. Look at some of the youtube videos on the art of shaving, get a good badger brush. Porosso is good, I like Taylor of Old Bond Street shave cream myself, comes in multiple scents.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... Caps%2C147
I like the Merkur razors.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... fety+razor

If you don't want to learn how to use a double edge blade, you can extend the life of the mach 3 etc by getting a bottle of alcohol and putting it in a container with a lid that screws on tight, and after every shave take the razor and dry it off by blotting and then swirl it in the alcohol to remove the water. The water is what causes it to dull. Occassionally you can sharpen the blade by running it along a pair of blue jeans. Switching to the shaving cream and brush instead of the shaving creams everyone uses now while still using the mach 3 etc will also improve your shave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js

Mike
bagle

Post by bagle »

Not only cheaper (about 10-15 cents per blade), but a better shave. A win-win situation. But the initial learning curve is steep, and you´ll cut yourself. Later, there´s no going back.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I started using a Merkur a couple of years ago. Big difference, great shave. I like the proraso soap in the the tube. Good soap, but easier to use than the discs. Get a sample pack of 20 some odd blades. No one can tell you which is best, because it is dependent on your (nearly) unique skin and beard type. I was using the wrong blade for about a year and then tried a sampler pack before I found the right one.

Good luck!

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I got a Merkur razor about a year ago. I have tried a lot of different ways to shave: ie: Fusion, Hydro5, safety razor, brush and shave cream/soap, Aveeno Shave cream.
I just got a box (from Amazon) of Astra blades (100 for $12.00 + shpg); have also used Feathers and Sharks.
I have been "experimenting" for about a year now.
You just need to keep trying different things until you find one that works for you.
I really, really like using my brush and shaving soap.
Good Luck and have fun finding what works for you; it can be a lot of fun just trying to find the best way.
Don
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

bagle wrote:Not only cheaper (about 10-15 cents per blade), but a better shave. A win-win situation. But the initial learning curve is steep, and you´ll cut yourself. Later, there´s no going back.
Hear, hear.

I did this switch about 2 years ago and would never go back.
My recommendation for a beginner is a Gillette Tech coupled with a Feather blade.
I got all my info from this site http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdispl ... Sell-Trade
and they have a very active community. Try the Buy-and-Sell for shopping and the other forums for advice.
But be careful because it can become addicting.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

I switched years ago for environmental reasons, cost was an added bonus. Once you get a good wet shave with a real razor, you'll never go back to the overpriced crap that is sold in most stores.

When I bought my first pack of Derby's, it was something like 100 for $11 on Amazon. At a blade a week that's nearly two years for $11. Combine this with Taylor of Old Bond Street shave cream, and I don't know how I ever did it with Gillette.

The only down side is that when I'm traveling I can't take my DE. I've had 'em confiscated by the TSA...
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Topic Author
12thman

Post by 12thman »

ThatGuy wrote:The only down side is that when I'm traveling I can't take my DE. I've had 'em confiscated by the TSA...
Good to know
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I made the switch two years ago, although I only shave about once every 3 days (i don't get much facial hair). I got a nice Merkur razor.

Similar to an above poster about getting stuff confiscated by TSA, I've had my Proraso soap taken away as well.

When I travel I buy really cheap disposable razors. It's just not the same but better than losing $ on things taken at the airport security lines.

It takes about 2x as long to shave now but it's a much better shave compared to the multi-blade razors.

I still use the multi-blade razors for manscaping as its just a lot safer.
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

I tried using a safety razor for a while, but shaving just took too long, and if not done properly, left really bad razor burn. It was not worth the hassle for me.

I had much more success with Dollar Shave club and their cheapest model razor has been upgraded-- very nice and cost efficient.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

I switched several years ago and they are great.

For me, Feather blades are way too sharp.

I've had the best luck with the Gillette brand safety razors made in St. Pettersburg, Russia. A blade will typically last me a week and half before needing replaced. I presume a blade would last longer if it were dried off between uses.

There are also Gillette blades made in India. Lesser quality than the Russian manufactured blades.

The worst part of them is you cannot take the blades with your carry on luggage when traveling. So they don't work for traveling lightly.

A quality shaving brush is a must. I expect mine to outlive me.
jay22

Post by jay22 »

bondsr4me wrote:I got a Merkur razor about a year ago. I have tried a lot of different ways to shave: ie: Fusion, Hydro5, safety razor, brush and shave cream/soap, Aveeno Shave cream.
I just got a box (from Amazon) of Astra blades (100 for $12.00 + shpg); have also used Feathers and Sharks.
I have been "experimenting" for about a year now.
You just need to keep trying different things until you find one that works for you.
I really, really like using my brush and shaving soap.
Good Luck and have fun finding what works for you; it can be a lot of fun just trying to find the best way.
Don
+1.

I took the plunge this year; started using double edged safety razors. Cost wise, it's a no brainer. The ridiculous cost of mach 3 blades made me look into alternatives. My shave is better than what I got using mach 3. I do not feel like I'm throwing money away when I dispose the razors; they are so cheap! I am still working on my technique, so haven't really reached the perfect shave stage, but I am getting there.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I pay roughly $4 per blade and it's totally worth it (of course I also shave my head). Far fewer cuts, less time shaving, closer shave. Cutting shaving time in half saves me hours per year, more than pays for the blades and pain / frustration of low quality shavers.

Have yet to find a decent disposable or single blade razor and have stopped looking.
Imdeng

Post by Imdeng »

My contribution - I have shifted to Nutragena Shaving Cream about a year back and it has been fantastic. It does not foam - just forms a slick, smooth coating that helps the blade glide across. You get much better shave and clean-up is a cinch. I Heartily Recommend.

I used to use a DE in college back in India - but would always nick myself here and there. Am sticking with cartridges for that reason - they never cut.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

When I was a teenager usually I looked like a freshly butchered pig after a shave with a safety razor. Then a fellow in my class mentioned electric shavers, and for the last 58 years my face looks great after a shave. I had no problems charging electric shavers in Europe and Asia.
hoopy

Post by hoopy »

If you're thinking of trying Dollar Shave Club, and for those of you who are already using it: It is more cost-effective to buy the razors directly from dollar shave club's supplier. http://www.dorcousa.com/

They are the same razor, different packaging. They are the manufacturers for the razors and blades that dollar shave club uses.

I tried the razors + blades from DSC/Dorco. They are comparable in quality to Gillette. I didn't like them however. My facial hair grows thick, these razors weren't great at dealing with it.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

likegarden wrote:When I was a teenager usually I looked like a freshly butchered pig after a shave with a safety razor. Then a fellow in my class mentioned electric shavers, and for the last 58 years my face looks great after a shave. I had no problems charging electric shavers in Europe and Asia.
Yeah, I use an electric shaver as well. Settled on one of the higher-end Panasonic-s after trying out Braun, Philips and Norelco.

I wouldn't trust myself with a deadly weapon that early in the morning :P
leonard

Post by leonard »

Been using a Safety Razor and Shave Soap for the last 4-5 years and they provide the absolute best shave I have ever had. Have used Mach3, Electric Razor, and disposables a long time ago. None of them even come close.

Recommendations:

1. Blade Favorites: ASCO (Cheap and Excellent), Derby (Cheap and Excellent), Timor, Souplex. Blades Avoid: Nacet, Bic, Treet.
2. Shave Soap Recommendations: Mama Bear's Soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Tabac.
3. Shaver: Muhle Open Comb.
4. Shave Bowl: Pottery Barn Footed Soup Bowl (yes really) - find on sale.
5. Shave Brush: Omega Barber

Things to avoid as you get started wet shaving:
1. Offbrand Shave Soap. Buy a good, well recommended shave soap. Unknown brands do not foam appropriately and can be like shaving with hand soap - with the result of a very bad shave. Get a good shave soap!

The worst shaves I have ever had were electric razors. Worst razor burn ever - would rather shave with a cheese grater.

Good luck.
Last edited by leonard on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
coachz

Post by coachz »

Get a used Gillette Black Beauty adjustable off ebay for $40 and enjoy. Set it at 6 to start. Feather Blades rock but Derbys are a great value.
chw

Post by chw »

gkaplan wrote:I've used the same Mach 3 blade for almost a year.
+1 check out the video- this does work!

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... ge=0&&tt=b
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Hi,

Any comments about switching from manual shaving to electric razors? Do you get the same close shave? Any favorite electric razor shavers? How much time it takes try out an electric razor shaver?
I am afraid to spend $150-200 upfront for an electric razor just to find out the shave is not close enough.
Thanks
Abe

Post by Abe »

I have a Merkur Heavy Duty #34C Safety Razor and a Mekur Model 180 Long Handle, and I have a few other fairly expensive razors. I love them a far as the way they look, but the blade gap settings are too aggressive for me which causes me to nick myself if I'm not careful. I found a vintage Gillette super speed safety razor at a yard sale for $2.00, and even though it doesn't look so good, it works fine for me. After trying different blades, I settled on Derby blades. I have a box of 100 shark blades that I don't like as well. I would like to try the Feather blade, but I'm afraid to order them and then discover I don't like them. That's what happened with the Sharks. I have a decent brush and I use Van Der Hagen Shave Soap that I get at Walmart for $1.59. It's actually pretty good. I started out shaving with a safety razor back before they had cartridge and disposable blades. If you have never used a safety razor, it takes a little practice. Also, wet shaving takes more time. I do both, depending on how much time I have.
Slow and steady wins the race.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

Also made the switch about two years ago:

My preferences or what works for me based on many other recommendations:

Merkur Razor - model 34C- only have to buy once. $43.
Feather Blades - bought in pack of 30 - $9 - will last me a year.
Proraso Soap - just ordered new tub - $10 - last me 6 - 8 months.
BigTruck

Post by BigTruck »

I switched to safety razors a few weeks ago. I bought a Merkur Model 180 along with two Merkur blade packs. So far, it's been great! I should have made the switch years ago.

The Merkur has been great. I love that it has a longer handle and the shave quality is top notch. I also ordered some Proraso shaving soap and pre-shave cream that are both also excellent. I have had a bear of a problem with ingrown hairs because of my curly hairs over the years, and all of the junk shaving supplies at most stores haven't done a thing to help my complications. After a couple weeks of using this safety razor, shaving soap, and pre-shave cream, my ingrown hair inflammation is going away. I think safety razors are a lot better for your skin. I also use the Proraso cream after I shave as an aftershave, and it's great. I see the light!
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I only shave every couple weeks. I was going to switch but then got a free disposable mach 3 in the mail and a coupon for some other 5 blade disposable 3 pack. When they run out a year or so from now I might give them a try.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I used electric razors for many years. It takes about 2wks for your face to get used to it. The shave will never be as good as with a wet shave, but is adequate. I used norelcos a lot, but the last one i used was the braun, which i liked better. Do not go with the cheapest in a line of shavers.
Mike
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I converted to the Merkur Safety Razor 7 years ago and never looked back. I buy Sharp Razor Blades (the name of the brand is Sharp) and I pay $17 for 100 that lasts a long time. I save a ton of money and I get a better shave with no irritation.

Here is a review I wrote on Amazon several years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... centReview
Last edited by stemikger on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

I took the plunge about a year ago.

Edwin Jagger DE86 safety razor.
Israeli red personna blades.
What I really love are the soaps and creams like Taylor of Old Bond Street's grapefruit cream, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, and Tabac.
Learned at lot at the Badger & Blade forums.

I still have trouble shaving under my chin perfectly. The Feather Popular is kinder to my skin. Other than that, not too much of a learning curve.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I switched to DE about 4 years ago. What works best for me is a 1960s Gillette (eBay). I found the best blade by going through a sample pack from Amazon. It is fun to experiment with creams and after shaves. If you want a tube start with Proraso. Technique is as important as tools - learning your beard grain patterns and doing single pass shaves (re-lathering each time) allows for the cleanest and most comfortable shave. What works for me is a 2-pass shave once with the grain (relather) then across the gain. You need to work up to against the grain, and then only needed, lightly, in those problem areas. It took me a year for my skin to toughen up to the point that I never get any nicks or burn ever.
Nobody knows nothing.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Family Dollar Stores sell a razor and blades that are comparable to Mach 3. It says on the package "Comparable to Mach 3". The cost is about half the cost of the Mach 3. They work fine for me.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I'm definitely hamfisted when it comes to shaving having been raised on disposable razors.

I found the Japanese Feather blades no good along with some other imports. Good old Wilkinson Sword blades from the grocery store work the best for me.
Meaty

Post by Meaty »

Grow a beard. Problem solved. :)
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink
chaz

Post by chaz »

Staying with Norelco as it gives me a good shave.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
mykidzrock

Post by mykidzrock »

I also switched from Gilette Fusion and my wallet and face have been happier ever since!!

I opted for the Muhle R89 Grande safety razor and a badger shave brush. I started with Derby blades but have since switched to Merkur's. I prefer the Merkur blades because I seem to get more shaves and less niks using them.

I'm currently alternating between Prorasso Shave soap and Jack Black shave cream. I'm predominantly a face latherer.

If you guys haven't tried Prorasso Pre-Shave Cream, you are seriously missing out! I'm just about finished with my first jar, and have since stocked up with 4 more jars because the stuff is great!!

I also just purchased a shave scuttle to keep my lather warm....so far so good!! If interested, Google "Moss Scuttle"
M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G »

You will save a ton of money if you switch to wet shaving. That's if you do not develop a product addiction, which seems to be very common among those new to wet shaving: an uncontrollable urge to buy many different soaps, creams, razors, blades, after shaves, etc.

I use a Merkur Futur razor and Astra super blades (green, Russian production). My soap of choice is Speick stick. I finish with witch hazel. A box of 100 double-edge blades is extremely economical. Speick stick and a bottle of witch hazel last forever. I don't even know how much money I have saved over the past two or three years. In a year, I probably go through two or three Speick sticks, half a box of blades, and three or four bottles of witch hazel.

Compare that to the constant purchasing of the aerosol foams or gels and those ridiculous, multi-blade cartridges. The savings are tremendous as these traditional products simply aren't marked up very much as they serve a niche market. And they are time-proven and very good.

I get a much closer and more comfortable shave with much greater control wet shaving than I ever did with those cartridges and aerosol goos. The only downside to wet shaving is the higher initial investment (my Merkur Futur is an $80 razor) and the steep learning curve (takes a good bit of practice and patience to become proficient). But once you've cleared those hurdles, your face and your wallet will thank you for the rest of your life.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I did the same - read that article and switched from cartridge multiblade razors to the Merkur safety razor with Astra blades (all bought on Amazon.)

I really like the Merkur and blades. It's inexpensive enough that you can (and should) change the razorblade every week (costs $10 for a 2-year supply of Astra blades at this rate). My biggest worry was safe disposal of the razorblades, but that's a nonissue -they come in little plastic boxes of 5-10 blades with a slot on the back that you put the old blades into - they won't drop out or pop out.

Here's the reality though-

- Cartridge razors DO work more easily, due to the multiple blades. You will definitely have to take more shave strokes with the single-blade Merkur - likely due to the angles required to get all the hairs as well as the contact points from one vs multiple blades. No contests here.

On the bright side, the added time shaving is really trivial. We're talking like 2 extra strokes for every one cartridge stroke. Sounds like a lot, but it isn't as you'll usually redo final cartridge strokes when you're on the last few bits of hair, so it tends to even out. I haven't noticed much of an increase in time shaving if I really want a clean shave. (For quick n dirty sloppy shaves where you leave a fair amount behind, the cartridge will def win though.)

- I find the Merkur shaves much more comfortable, mainly because the blade stays so sharp when replacing weekly. I invariablyrun a cartridge razor down too far and it starts to sting. No such problems with the Merkur.

- The Merkur is really easy to clean and doesn't rust. I hate when my cartridges rust.

- The Merkur + blades costs a lot less than cartridges over a 2 yr period. For a 5+ yr period, there will be no contests as the main cost is the $35 Merkur one-time cost; blades are $5/yr on Amazon. But you do have to change them frequently - I'd typically use a 3-bade cartridge for 4 weeks, whereas I definitely notice blunting of the single-safety blade after a week. (I also have higher sharpness standards for safety blades, no doubt, because I change them more.)

- You cannot fly with safety blades; you will need a cartridge on airline trips if bringing with you on carryon.

I overall prefer the Merkur for long-term use. Slightly cheaper long-term cost, but a MUCH nicer device, always sharp, and the device feels 'real'. But it'll still lose in the short-term compared to a new good multiblade cartridge razor.
steve_14

Post by steve_14 »

lightheir wrote:I did the same - read that article and switched from cartridge multiblade razors to the Merkur safety razor with Astra blades (all bought on Amazon.)
I did just the same, buying everything online especially since my Target doesn't stock razor blades (guess their stores aren't big enough?)

It's certainly true the industry has made advances since 1906. A four blade Gillette Mach 9 or whatever does give me a closer shave, and (since the head is flexible) is better at shaving around my Adam's apple, for instance. You can cut yourself a bit more easily with a safety razor as well.

However my Merkur is cheap and quick, but most importantly a modern shaver scraped off so much skin that I couldn't shave again for a week without irritation. Not a problem with a safety razor.
M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G »

The more exposed blade and complete manual control (with no pivoting head) mean you are completely reliant on your own technique with the wet razor. That means you can make mistakes that cause irritation, bleeding, or insufficient beard removal. But if done right, you will always get a better shave (closer, smoother, cleaner, less irritating, and more comfortable) with a double-edge or straight razor.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver
rixer

Post by rixer »

I use a Mach 3 and love them. They last for months if you dry the blades off after each use.I rinse the blades off after use, blot dry with towel and then wave the razor through the air to air dry it. I usually end up changing the blade after months because the white teflon glide usually breaks up before the blades go dull.
IronHorse1928

Post by IronHorse1928 »

12thman, Thank you for starting this thread. It motivated me to research this form of shaving. In addition, as another motivator, I became disillusioned at the price of Gillette Mach 3 cartridges at BJ's.

I recently posted the below on the Badger and Blade forum.

Sometime in the middle of November 2013, my attention was drawn to a thread on another site (Bogleheads.org), not connected to shaving, about converting to a safety razor. I then proceeded to conduct as much research as I could and determined if this was something I wanted to try. I proceeded to acquire the necessary items for my starter kit and I find myself still making acquisitions.

I have been wet shaving with a safety razor for a little over a month and feel I am progressing in the right direction. For the most part I am shaving every other day with the occasional back to back days.

It quickly became apparent to me that my face would need a break in period along with improving my technique. Patience and minimal pressure are crucial. The interesting thing about DE shaving is that if you get lazy, don’t pay attention or rush, the blade will quickly remind when you get lax resulting in weepers, nicks or razor burn. Having a sufficient amount of time to shave is very helpful especially when starting out on this journey.

I rapidly became aware that researching the threads on Badger and Blade was and is going to be a valuable resource.

In addition, I have found that experimenting with different creams, soaps and combinations was going to be helpful. Experimenting with different products and techniques with this type of shaving seems to part of the overall enjoyment. I truly look forward to my next shave and it made me realize how mundane cartridge shower shaving was.

Rediscovering Pinaud Clubman brought me back to a time when I went to the barber shop up the street to get my haircut as a younger boy and young man. It has been a very nostalgic trip so far that invigorates positive memories of the grooming process that was taken for granted.

So far, the biggest thing I have learned is to keep what works, yet remain willing to try different techniques and adjustments that will hopefully allow me to hone my overall shaving experience in a consistent manner. I continue to make adjustments to my neck and jawline while minimizing irritation. It is still very much a work in progress. Some days are better than others. Fortunately, I have been able to achieve some excellent shaves so far and I hope to keep progressing in this fashion.

I am glad I came across this option for facial grooming. I enjoy the need for detail and attention wet shaving requires and I am pleased when the finished product meets my expectations. It blows away any results I have ever had with cartridge shaving.