Recommend a good pair of slippers!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightheir

Recommend a good pair of slippers!

Post by lightheir »

Recommend a good pair of slippers! So my feet don't get cold while reading Bogleheads! :mrgreen:
cheese_breath

Re: Recommend a good pair of slippers!

Post by cheese_breath »

Wear warm socks. Then any slippers will do.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

Something nice and I like deerskin, for practicality, it's crocs and socks.
RDB

Post by RDB »

My wife bought me these for Christmas last year. I would never myself spend $100 on slippers, or buy UGG's, but they are awesome and will last for a long time. They are actually often too warm though.
http://www.uggaustralia.com/men-slipper ... _color=CHE
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Soft sole mocs from Lands End.
island

Post by island »

+1 on Acorn.
DH loves his. His are fleece slip ons with suede sidewalls similar to this black berber "TEX MOC ". Several years old and holding up well even after being tossed in the washer.
http://www.totes-isotoner.com/acorn/pro ... y=ourPicks
Carlton

Post by Carlton »

Love my LL Bean "Wicked Good Slippers"! (wearing the moccasin's as I type)

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/474?nav= ... d-slippers
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

cheese_breath wrote:Wear warm socks. Then any slippers will do.
+1
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Carlton wrote:Love my LL Bean "Wicked Good Slippers"! (wearing the moccasin's as I type)

+1 I'm wearing them too! :D Super comfy, have had this pair for the last 5 years - worth the money.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

At my recent bi annual colonoscopy i got another pair of those terrific thick socks with the clinics name etched out in rubber on the sole so one wont slip.
Ok so i could have left out the "colonoscopy" part.
numbernine

Post by numbernine »

I have a pair of UGGs moccasins that someone gave me as a gift. I've heard they're absurdly expensive but they are so cozy.
ndayev6

Post by ndayev6 »

LL Bean "wicked good slippers" are amazing. I don't know if they can be beaten. I highly recommend them given durability and comfort.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

The issue I have noticed with many slippers is that they are great and warm for the first year or two but then stretch, or get worn down/matted, and lose their insulating potential. I'd love to find a pair as well that are as good five years down the road as when you first put them on.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

RDB wrote:My wife bought me these for Christmas last year. I would never myself spend $100 on slippers, or buy UGG's, but they are awesome and will last for a long time. They are actually often too warm though.
http://www.uggaustralia.com/men-slipper ... _color=CHE
+1, recieved the same gift from my wife last year. They are pretty awesome.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

LL Bean elkhide slippers.

Most comfortable slippers I've ever owned.

Mine don't have that stretchable area that you see in the center of the photo above. Otherwise, they're identical.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

ALPACA SOCKS
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

who do alpacas wear socks?
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I like several of the products shown in the responses. My issue is that I want a slipper that has a soft sole that will not make noise on the hardwood flooring on our first floor. The LLBean soft wicked are great in that way, but they mat down inside in less than a year and flop off to one side based on the way my foot hits the floor. I can remember back in the very early 1940's when my father bought slippers from LLBean (then called a "canoe shoe") that had a zipper on the top in the middle of the slipper.
Tom D.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

It would be very helpful to hear comments from people who have gotten at least 3-5 years of use out of their slippers, regarding how they hold up in terms of insulation ("warmth factor") and comfort.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

tomd37 wrote:I like several of the products shown in the responses. My issue is that I want a slipper that has a soft sole that will not make noise on the hardwood flooring on our first floor.
Fair enough. As Stuart Smalley said, It is easier to wear slippers than to carpet the entire world.
I have hardwood floors at ground level, too, and the elkhide slippers I mentioned do make a shoe-like sound due to the sole.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Yes, I was very interested in the elkhide slippers until I saw the sole. LLBean usually has very good products.
Tom D.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Thought I would pass this along,just received these yesterday ,for the wife,,,,they are the "bomb" fantastic. :happy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076U ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

This was a complaint that a reviewer posted about the Acorn Polar Moc, and it is simiar to my experience with many slippers that seem perfect at first. Any comments by those who have had these slippers for a relatively long time? Did you have the same problem?: " Cons: The cushion becomes rather flat really quickly. After wearing these for a few hours a day, the cushion has become noticeably flat after just a month of wear."
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have been using LLBean mocassins for 20 years. They are made of sheepskin and are very comfortable. I wear them several hours every day and a pair lasts at least 3 years. They cost $69 but they are great. I highly recommend them.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65637?pr ... 8597243377
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

I made the switch last year to mocassins with deerskin lining. Very warm and should last forever. I bought from here: http://www.wassookeagmoccasins.com/
Toons

Post by Toons »

protagonist wrote:The issue I have noticed with many slippers is that they are great and warm for the first year or two but then stretch, or get worn down/matted, and lose their insulating potential. I'd love to find a pair as well that are as good five years down the road as when you first put them on.
I can't think of any pair of shoes that I have ever owned that have felt the same, 5 years later,comfort wise 8-)
marc515

Post by marc515 »

LL Bean: I have had these for a few years now and they are fantastic, plus a non slip sole:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35378?fe ... tId=524756
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Toons wrote:
protagonist wrote:The issue I have noticed with many slippers is that they are great and warm for the first year or two but then stretch, or get worn down/matted, and lose their insulating potential. I'd love to find a pair as well that are as good five years down the road as when you first put them on.
I can't think of any pair of shoes that I have ever owned that have felt the same, 5 years later,comfort wise 8-)
I would guess the issue with slippers is that if they are made of natural fibers (eg wool, felted wool, etc), the fibers stretch with every step you take (just try pushing on a taut strand of wool). This is not such an issue with shirts,gloves, etc because you are not providing significant stretching force thousands of times a day. It's not much of an issue with shoes because leather is much more resilient to stretching (or "antifragile" as all you Taleb fans might put it), or with socks because they are constrained by shoes.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I don't like rubber or plastic soles; I prefer a moccasin. Gokey double soled leather moccasins are not slippers, but they will last 20 years or more with inside use,* and I can easily use socks for warmth. The added bonus is that they are much more expensive than UGGs, so you can either brag yourself or give them as gifts so others can brag about how much you spent on them. I had a pair for many many years. When some stitching came out, I made the mistake of discarding them and not getting them fixed. One of my great regrets in life. :(

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3143

* They are also good inside your canoe.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

sscritic wrote: The added bonus is that they are much more expensive than UGGs, so you can either brag yourself or give them as gifts so others can brag about how much you spent on them.

Will bragging about what you spend on slippers get a 60 y o guy a twentysomething celebrity girlfriend? (curious...)
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

The Gokeys are excellent. Currently, I wear these from LL Bean and have grown to like them:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/47870?fe ... tId=825456

I would not, however, wear either canoeing. As someone who canoes frequently, I go out only with non-leather footwear. Some river-running shoe from the usual suspects.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Topic Author
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

sscritic wrote:I don't like rubber or plastic soles; I prefer a moccasin. Gokey double soled leather moccasins are not slippers, but they will last 20 years or more with inside use,* and I can easily use socks for warmth. The added bonus is that they are much more expensive than UGGs, so you can either brag yourself or give them as gifts so others can brag about how much you spent on them. I had a pair for many many years. When some stitching came out, I made the mistake of discarding them and not getting them fixed. One of my great regrets in life. :(

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3143

* They are also good inside your canoe.
I'm not a cheapskate, but there's no way in heck I'm gonna spend $200 on a pair of indoor slippers/mocs even I can easily afford it!
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Another Acorn product....I've bought these Acorn slipper-scoks on at least 3 occasions: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/acorn-slipper-socks. They tend to be great for a season or two...really comfy and warm...the long sock part is a great added bonus.but then they deteriorate. The soles get worn and matted down and the woolen tops stretch. And often after a few years little holes start appearing around the tips of the toes. Still, if you bought a pair every 2 years, it would take 6 years to match the cost of the Uggs, and I wonder what the Uggs would be like after 6 years. I've found them on end of the season sales locally for much less than the prices quoted here- I recall about $15 clearance but my memory may not be correct.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

lightheir wrote: I'm not a cheapskate, but there's no way in heck I'm gonna spend $200 on a pair of indoor slippers/mocs even I can easily afford it!
If they last 40 years, that's only $5 a year. How often do your replace your slippers? I got my Gokeys in 1970 or so. I admit I didn't keep them until 2010; I probably got rid of them in one of my frequent changes of address during the early part of this century. If not for the all the moving, I would still have them.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

sscritic wrote:
lightheir wrote: I'm not a cheapskate, but there's no way in heck I'm gonna spend $200 on a pair of indoor slippers/mocs even I can easily afford it!
If they last 40 years, that's only $5 a year. How often do your replace your slippers? I got my Gokeys in 1970 or so. I admit I didn't keep them until 2010; I probably got rid of them in one of my frequent changes of address during the early part of this century. If not for the all the moving, I would still have them.
If they are not lined, I cannot imagine an all-leather moccasin being as comfortable or as warm as some of the other products named. I think of them as being more appropriate in warmer climates. But I could be wrong.....
H22

Post by H22 »

Haflinger.
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Carlton wrote:Love my LL Bean "Wicked Good Slippers"! (wearing the moccasin's as I type)

+1. I confess, I am an LLBean die-hard for many clothing items. My $80 slippers were a gift from my daughter #1 and aside from a slight wear spot on the inside lining.....my slippers are more comfortable today than they were 5-years ago when she sent them. 5-years? Yep, I wear 'em every morning, lots of evening, and I even go outside around the house occasionally.
80 bucks for a pair of slippers is way over my pay-grade. But these have treated me so well, and have lasted so long, and remain in such good shape......you better believe I will replace them myself when needed ( even for a couple bucks more)!

:shock:
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Howie wrote:Haflinger.
+1
My wife bought me a pair of these four years ago, and from November to March I spend more hours wearing them than normal shoes.
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

As I type I'm wearing a pair of Ugg Scuff Romeos that I bought 7 years ago (only $65 back then). The quality is fantastic. If I don't get bored with them first, I suspect they will last another decade. The bottom is matted down, and has been for years, but they are comfy and cozy as ever.

http://www.zappos.com/ugg-scuff-romeo-i ... ims_p_ab_1
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

oxothuk wrote:
Howie wrote:Haflinger.
+1
My wife bought me a pair of these four years ago, and from November to March I spend more hours wearing them than normal shoes.
I'd never heard of them before but just checked them out. They look comfortable!
Too bad I live in what feels like Moth Central in the N.E. United States. For that reason, I don't buy a lot of wool products except some coats that I dry clean on a regular schedule. The harsh chemicals seem to keep wool-eaters at bay.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

tomd37 wrote: My issue is that I want a slipper that has a soft sole that will not make noise on the hardwood flooring on our first floor.
I"m not a crafter, but I think I'm going to get some felt and attach it to the soles of those elkhide slippers. Can't hurt. I'll be as quiet as a cat burglar as a result.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

linenfort wrote:
tomd37 wrote: My issue is that I want a slipper that has a soft sole that will not make noise on the hardwood flooring on our first floor.
I"m not a crafter, but I think I'm going to get some felt and attach it to the soles of those elkhide slippers. Can't hurt. I'll be as quiet as a cat burglar as a result.
Intuition tells me that felt-soled shoes and hardwood floors might not be the best possible combination, unless one intends to skate across one's floors on a regular basis.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I like these. You'll need to find somewhere to try them on before buying. The lining is so thick, you'll need to go a size or two larger than your regular shoe size to get a good fit.

http://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/Produ ... casin-mens
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

My pair of LL Bean Wicked Good slippers were in perfect condition after years of use but matted inside. This thread got me thinking if anyone made a decent insert. I found out that Uggs sells replacement sheepskin insoles for $15.
I received mine a week ago. They were a little thick at first but are compressing nicely. The slippers are like brand new now.
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

+1 I'm wearing them too! :D Super comfy, have had this pair for the last 5 years - worth the money.
+2
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Mudpuppy wrote:
linenfort wrote:
Intuition tells me that felt-soled shoes and hardwood floors might not be the best possible combination, unless one intends to skate across one's floors on a regular basis.
I'll let you know how it works out. :wink:
island

Post by island »

lightheir -Are those piggies still cold or did you find your dream slippers? :D Do tell!