Amazon Sunday Delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Toons

Amazon Sunday Delivery

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BrandonBogle

Re: Amazon Sunday Delivery

Post by BrandonBogle »

Many moons ago I got a Priority Mail package on a Sunday for a Christmas gift. I am not surprised that Amazon wants to leverage that delivery option.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'm pretty sure our local post office delivers stuff on Sunday around the holidays. That said, I can't imagine anything for which I couldn't wait until Monday.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
jedblanks

Post by jedblanks »

Wasn't USPS considering abandoning Saturday delivery not so long ago? And now they are adding a day???
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jedblanks wrote:Wasn't USPS considering abandoning Saturday delivery not so long ago? And now they are adding a day???
They are adding a day, but only for specific shippers and only in a few metropolitan areas. Kudos to them for picking the low-hanging fruit.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Toons

Post by Toons »

" The Postal Service is asking Congress for the authority to let it drop Saturday delivery of letters but keep weekend shipment of packages so it can continue to exploit the growth of online commerce.
“As online shopping continues to increase, the Postal Service is very happy to offer shippers like Amazon the option of having packages delivered on Sunday,” Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe said in a statement." :happy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I'm skeptical. Currently, when I order something using Amazon prime on Friday or Saturday, it comes on Tuesday, not Monday. If I order it on Sunday, sometimes it doesn't come until Wednesday. I find it hard to believe that they're not working 7 days a week, I think they just take their sweet time on those weekend orders. Drives me nuts.
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

mlipps; its Amazon's shipping company, UPS for the most part, that isn't delivering seven days a week. UPS delivers five days a week; and Saturday delivery consists of next day air packages only. (After working 10-14 hours per day for five days, my son appreciates Sat and Sun off!)
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
jedblanks wrote:Wasn't USPS considering abandoning Saturday delivery not so long ago? And now they are adding a day???
They are adding a day, but only for specific shippers and only in a few metropolitan areas. Kudos to them for picking the low-hanging fruit.

I believe USPS wanted to stop Saturday delivery of first class mail and keep the profitable parcel delivery service going.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Magruder wrote:mlipps; its Amazon's shipping company, UPS for the most part, that isn't delivering seven days a week. UPS delivers five days a week; and Saturday delivery consists of next day air packages only. (After working 10-14 hours per day for five days, my son appreciates Sat and Sun off!)
I understand why it doesn't come Saturday/Sunday. Just not sure why it doesn't arrive Monday...
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

mlipps wrote:
Magruder wrote:mlipps; its Amazon's shipping company, UPS for the most part, that isn't delivering seven days a week. UPS delivers five days a week; and Saturday delivery consists of next day air packages only. (After working 10-14 hours per day for five days, my son appreciates Sat and Sun off!)
I understand why it doesn't come Saturday/Sunday. Just not sure why it doesn't arrive Monday...
If UPS does not touch your package on saturday/sunday, the package will not make it to the latest station/terminal for local delivery over the weekend. Only saturday delivery packages will be touched friday night, so it can be locally delivered on Saturday.

When you are looking at the delivery dates, you should assume the day after Friday is Monday, not Saturday unless you're paying for Saturday delivery.

I definitely welcome this move by amazon/USPS even though I won't see any package coming to my way in my rural town for another year.. And yes, I got two pieces of mail delivered on Sunday's (both of them SS cards when we were new in country)..
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Toons wrote:" The Postal Service is asking Congress for the authority to let it drop Saturday delivery of letters but keep weekend shipment of packages so it can continue to exploit the growth of online commerce.
“As online shopping continues to increase, the Postal Service is very happy to offer shippers like Amazon the option of having packages delivered on Sunday,” Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe said in a statement." :happy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
Asking Congress for the authority. Hmmm. Sounds like a difficult way to run an enterprise.

:wink:

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.