If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm

heyyou wrote:Occasionally, I volunteer with Tom's Sawyers. Tom leads daytrips to cut downed logs off of the hiking trails in a national forest.
Is that related to the real Tom Sawyer compelling his friends to whitewash his fence?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Riprap

If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Post by Riprap » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

I bet there are a lot of INTJ types on this forum who don't need a lot of external stimulation.

I find it refreshing to find others (who more than likely were over-achievers while working) who freely admit to "putzing" in retirement.

statsguy

Post by statsguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm

We retired in 2011. I still work January until June but the other 6 months am retired. My typical day starts at 8am and I read internet headlines and blog til 10. Then statsgal and I walk our dog for an hour. We live in the country and so the walk is very enjoyable- lots of wildlife.

Mondays we go to senior center and learn tai chi and then talk investing with other retires. The other days of the week are spent on errands, some light house remodeling, or just chilling with the dog on the deck. We also travel-- went to aruba for a week, went to Gettysburg for a day when the did a reinactment of the battle, spent a couple days in Lancaster shopping, and also visited some friends in Tennessee. They are retired about 20 years and say "their retirement is so busy the don't know how they ever found time to work".

This past week we drove 3000 miles to our California house so we could pick up some stuff to move my daughter and her family to Denver. He just was hired on two weeks notice as a fireman in Denver. In a few weeks will head back home. If I was not retired we would be unable to just drop everything and to help our kids

We found the first two years of retirement so busy that I think I will finally retire in June. I have two more years of being able to work part-time but eve though the money is great I think I need to finally retire and get on full time with my retirement

Stats

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Been retired for 9 years from high school teaching and coaching. Take 2 long walks/runs with the dog each day. Go to the gym for a one and a half hour workout 3 days/week, ride a road bike 20-25 miles 3 days/week, and take one day off. Summers we hit the beach once or twice a week. Winters we ski 3 days/week every other week. We visit our two sons in Florida and Colorado once or twice/year. On rainy days we often go to an afternoon movie and often have the theater to ourselves. We've been able to travel overseas and take some nice cruises. I watch way too much sports both live and on TV. It's a treat to read The Boston Globe front to back every morning. Following my late father's advice, I try to put in one hour/day in work around the house. You'd be surprised how much gets done when you work this way, and it doesn't seem obtrusive.

Intellectually, I read magazines voluminously and spend much time online in places like this. I've sampled the works of many authors, both fiction and non-fiction. Plus I've spent much time researching and investing. The key is being lucky enough to have health and having enough money to do what we enjoy. We lived beneath our means for many years, and now are receiving the dividends.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:25 pm

We travel like crazy. We were gone over 100 days last year and this. I love renting apartments in different cities.
We photograph wildlife, and I still teach and do research when I can find the time.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:32 pm

In 'Of Mice and Men,' John Steinbeck wrote:George stood up. "We'll do her," he said. "We'll fix up that little old place an' we'll go live there." He sat down again. They all sat still, all bemused by the beauty of the thing, each mind was popped into the future when this lovely thing should come about.

George said wonderingly, "S'pose they was a carnival or a circus come to town, or a ball game, or any damn thing." Old Candy nodded in appreciation of the idea. "We'd just go to her," George said. "We wouldn't ask nobody if we could. Jus' say, 'We'll go to her,' an' we would. Jus' milk the cow and sling some grain to the chickens an' go to her."
Tell me about the rabbits, George... :)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I retired two years ago at age 55. After 33 years working for Big Tobacco I needed to get out of there. The first year and a half I found plenty to keep busy. This spring I started getting antsy so I went and got my real estate license. I just sold my second house and am working just enough to get me out of the house now and then.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:07 pm

nisiprius wrote:
In 'Of Mice and Men,' John Steinbeck wrote:George stood up. "We'll do her," he said. "We'll fix up that little old place an' we'll go live there." He sat down again. They all sat still, all bemused by the beauty of the thing, each mind was popped into the future when this lovely thing should come about.

George said wonderingly, "S'pose they was a carnival or a circus come to town, or a ball game, or any damn thing." Old Candy nodded in appreciation of the idea. "We'd just go to her," George said. "We wouldn't ask nobody if we could. Jus' say, 'We'll go to her,' an' we would. Jus' milk the cow and sling some grain to the chickens an' go to her."
Tell me about the rabbits, George... :)
Okay, remembering the book's ending, I'm struggling to relate it to this thread. :confused
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:14 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 pm

I do enjoy my job, but I'm looking forward to retirement. 18 months to go, and I've been investigating the opportunities before me. I intend to be a full-time dilettante, but I am a little worried about the fact that I'm a bit of a hermit. I know I need to figure out how to be more sociable.

In addition to reading (or scanning) all the "how to be retired" books at the local libraries, I've been interviewing friends who are retired (and single), asking about how they use their time, how they prepared, what they would do differently. Have gotten some good ideas from each interview. The responses I've read are full of great ideas -- some that were already on my list and plenty of others that appeal to me.

DouglasDoug

Post by DouglasDoug » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:52 pm

How dreary. Retirement: too bad it comes at the end of life. Imagine having all that time to make love while one was still hot.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:07 am

1. Travel
2. The gym, every day I'm not traveling.
3. Start a garden in my yard.
4. Renew activity in a writing group.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:16 am

Retired five years ago at 60

We spend three-four months a year in China, where I consult with drug abuse clinics essentially for a subsitence stipend
The rest of the year is splt between travel (mostly to family and friends with one trip a year elsewhere) and gardening in our Vermont community

Wherever I am I start the day with meditation, exercise, some periodical reading and a pot of tea.
Around 11:30 will make some lunch, then on to whatever the local calls for.

Evening is with friends, out for dinner, book reading (no computer after dinner) or something cultural.

So far so great!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 am

Wonderful thread; thank you all for contributing.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 am

I agree with technovelist.... I am getting some great ideas from reading this thread!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:12 am

This is a really good question to ask as going from fulltime work to no work is a big adjustment and does require planning. I have been retired 3 years. The first 2 years were very busy caring for my sick mom (she died last year), remodeling and volunteer consulting with a Christian ministry. This year I have had to replan my retirement as none of those things require much of my time. I am doing new volunteer work and hope to do more, expanded church activities, I am now playing golf 2 times a week, gym about 3 times a week and still participate a little in professional organizations. One thing we have not done as much as we had hoped is traveling although I have a 2 week trip planned to the Holy Land in Spring 2014.

I enjoy leisure activities but there is a limit of that for me. One of my goals for retirement was to give back to the community and my faith. I did not have as much time for those as I would have liked when I was working. I am doing some things towards that goal but still trying to figure it out.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 am

DouglasDoug wrote:How dreary. Retirement: too bad it comes at the end of life. Imagine having all that time to make love while one was still hot.
Retirement affords you more time to warm up.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:45 am

Woke up(Yea!)
Got coffee going
Walked to the back deck for fresh air
Let the dog out
Picked up the tablet
Got some coffee
In the lazyboy
Posting away :happy

Off to a Great Start
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:50 am

VictoriaF wrote:
DouglasDoug wrote:How dreary. Retirement: too bad it comes at the end of life. Imagine having all that time to make love while one was still hot.
Retirement affords you more time to warm up.

Victoria
and the time of Day or night doesn't matter

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:48 am

You can plan a lot, but events can change your actual retirement. I always liked to work, but one day I got really stressed out at 62 1/2 and I retired. But then half a year later I was asked to work half time, and I enjoyed that then on and off until I was 69. I am never bored, there is always something good to be done. I will be 74 next month.
The big change for me and my wife came when our daughter-in-law could not handle her new baby boy, and we took over full time, 3 hours distance away. So we became 'parents' again for the last 10 years. It is a lot of work, but we love it, our grandson loves us. We make a difference in his life. This Friday I have to go to meet his teacher. We have done a decent job, grandson is now in program for talented and gifted kids. Doing Math and other homework with our grandson keeps our minds sharp. Our son also now lives with us, so we see our family continuously, is wonderful. Our house has 4 1/2 bed rooms. Otherwise, living in a house at times requires repairs. There is always something to do in a 4-person household.
My hobby is gardening, on our half acre I have 60 different small conifers and 210 different hostas. I love to sit outside on a bench with a beer and watch my landscape! Gardening also keeps the body in shape, like raking 80 bags of leaves this fall. I also like to drive to a park at a river or lake, read a good gardening magazine and drink a coffee. We no longer travel a lot, except for an annual trip to Cap Cod. We traveled a lot when we were younger, also many times to Europe. I went 13 times to Asia on business, stood on the Great Wall, etc., have no need to travel more.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 am

It'll be ten years next month since I walked away from my former career and I've never regretted the decision to do so. I love being the "master of my domain" so to speak (to steal a line from a funny Seinfeld episode, although with a different meaning in this case).

I don't have to be doing anything special to enjoy the day. Whether it's laying around reading, heading out for a hike, working around the house and property, hanging out with the dog, enjoying a meal in town with my wife or visiting with friends, it's all good. (Heck, even grocery shopping beats taking direction from the nincompoops that ran my prior agency (into the ground. :twisted: ) Lifting weights a couple times a week and putting on the mileage with our canine companion keeps me fit.

Retirement is a wonderful thing.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 am

GerryL wrote:I do enjoy my job, but I'm looking forward to retirement. 18 months to go, and I've been investigating the opportunities before me. I intend to be a full-time dilettante, but I am a little worried about the fact that I'm a bit of a hermit. I know I need to figure out how to be more sociable.

In addition to reading (or scanning) all the "how to be retired" books at the local libraries, I've been interviewing friends who are retired (and single), asking about how they use their time, how they prepared, what they would do differently. Have gotten some good ideas from each interview. The responses I've read are full of great ideas -- some that were already on my list and plenty of others that appeal to me.
There are two groups of retirees, some retire from and the others retire to. If you are retiring from, it does not really matter what the others do in retirement whether it's putzing or climbing Everest. You will be deriving the satisfaction from escaping that "from."

If you are retiring to, the most significant factor for the success of your retirement is your passion about that "to." If being sociable is not your thing, don't force yourself being sociable. If you have several bookshelves of non-fiction that you always wanted to tackle, the retirement will provide you with that opportunity.

Victoria

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 am

likegarden wrote:You can plan a lot, but events can change your actual retirement. I always liked to work, but one day I got really stressed out at 62 1/2 and I retired. But then half a year later I was asked to work half time, and I enjoyed that then on and off until I was 69. I am never bored, there is always something good to be done. I will be 74 next month.
The big change for me and my wife came when our daughter-in-law could not handle her new baby boy, and we took over full time, 3 hours distance away. So we became 'parents' again for the last 10 years. It is a lot of work, but we love it, our grandson loves us. We make a difference in his life. This Friday I have to go to meet his teacher. We have done a decent job, grandson is now in program for talented and gifted kids. Doing Math and other homework with our grandson keeps our minds sharp. Our son also now lives with us, so we see our family continuously, is wonderful. Our house has 4 1/2 bed rooms. Otherwise, living in a house at times requires repairs. There is always something to do in a 4-person household.
My hobby is gardening, on our half acre I have 60 different small conifers and 210 different hostas. I love to sit outside on a bench with a beer and watch my landscape! Gardening also keeps the body in shape, like raking 80 bags of leaves this fall. I also like to drive to a park at a river or lake, read a good gardening magazine and drink a coffee. We no longer travel a lot, except for an annual trip to Cap Cod. We traveled a lot when we were younger, also many times to Europe. I went 13 times to Asia on business, stood on the Great Wall, etc., have no need to travel more.
:happy Full time parents are not retired :sharebeer
I am curious, is the son who lives with your the father of the grandson, or the uncle?

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 am

VictoriaF wrote:
There are two groups of retirees, some retire from and the others retire to. If you are retiring from, it does not really matter what the others do in retirement whether it's putzing or climbing Everest. You will be deriving the satisfaction from escaping that "from."If you are retiring to, the most significant factor for the success of your retirement is your passion about that "to."

Victoria
You are describing axes of a multidimensional matrix. Eg there is also "because of" in my case I retired from part of my work (the part I hated ) to activities I love, Because of my DWs disability. She was "forced" to retire by her condition.

People who are forced to retire by illness, laws or management decisions often feel a total lack of control over their world.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am

Professor Emeritus wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
There are two groups of retirees, some retire from and the others retire to. If you are retiring from, it does not really matter what the others do in retirement whether it's putzing or climbing Everest. You will be deriving the satisfaction from escaping that "from."If you are retiring to, the most significant factor for the success of your retirement is your passion about that "to."

Victoria
You are describing axes of a multidimensional matrix. Eg there is also "because of" in my case I retired from part of my work (the part I hated ) to activities I love, Because of my DWs disability. She was "forced" to retire by her condition.

People who are forced to retire by illness, laws or management decisions often feel a total lack of control over their world.
I am simplifying the decision process. Once you make it simple you can look at special cases. A common special case is retiring both "from" and "to," but even in this case one of them dominates. In your case the dominant motive was "to", i.e., being with your wife. Illnesses and layoffs that result in forced retirements qualify as "from"s.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 am

second-guesser wrote:Abe wrote --- Station

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we bring in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a complete jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering—waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

When we reach the station, that will be it, we cry. When I’m 18. When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz. When I put the last kid through college. When I have paid off the mortgage. When I get a promotion. When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after.

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

Relish the moment is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

By Robert J. Hastingswrore -

Abe , I enjoyed reading Mr. Hastingswrore's essay. I try to live for the day but sometimes it's easier said than done. Thanks for the reminder.

S-G
Yes, it is hard. Sometimes I get bogged down with the little problems life throws at me daily. I have to force myself to stop and look at the big picture.
Slow and steady wins the race.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 am

Professor, our son is the father of our grandson, got divorced 1 year after the birth of our grandson. We take care of our grandson when his father is at work, but had the first two years our grandson all for ourselves. Sometimes you have to step up and take care of your family, that is what we did and continue to do.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 am

likegarden wrote:Professor, our son is the father of our grandson, got divorced 1 year after the birth of our grandson. We take care of our grandson when his father is at work, but had the first two years our grandson all for ourselves. Sometimes you have to step up and take care of your family, that is what we did and continue to do.
Of course :beer
I'm a grandfather. We are working on the college fund for the grandson. in my personal experience I have seen the multi generational family go various different ways. Yours is the most common (Grandparent-Parent- Child) but I did have one which involved an uncle rather than a son.
You always do what you had to do. DW had an extremely high powered inflexible job so I was the 'hands on" dad who went on the daughter's fields trips and took them to sports and plays and the doctor. Fortunately I was a full Professor by the time the youngest was 5 , so I had flexibility.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

VictoriaF wrote:
I am simplifying the decision process. Once you make it simple you can look at special cases. A common special case is retiring both "from" and "to," but even in this case one of them dominates. In your case the dominant motive was "to", i.e., being with your wife. Illnesses and layoffs that result in forced retirements qualify as "from"s.

Victoria

We will just have to politely disagree. In our case my wife's disability occurred 2 years after I took emeritus status. It dramatically changed our retirement expectations and activities. I apologize if my sentence was unclear.
Last edited by Professor Emeritus on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

apk

Post by apk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 am

I am retired. My day works great for me, but probably won't work for many others. In the morning I read several newspapers online. In late morning I exercise. In warmer weather I either walk 2-3 miles or I ride my bike -- around 10-12 miles. (I used to ride around 20 miles, but my body is no longer willing.) In winter, I keep walking about the same amount or ride an indoor bike for between 40 minutes and one hour at a time. I exercise between 4 and 6 days a week.

Around noon, I eat lunch. Then, for the rest of the afternoon I read a book and take naps.

Come evening, I spend time with my wife.

Like I said, this is a great retirement for me, but probably won't work for many others.

smpatel

Post by smpatel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Apk,

I like that, simple and easy.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Professor Emeritus wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

We will just have to politely disagree. In our case my wife's disability occurred 2 years after I took emeritus status. It dramatically changed our retirement expectations and activities. I apologize if my sentence was unclear.
My framework is specific to the decision process leading to retirement; and in making the retirement decision, "to" and "from" are the components of "because." The initial behavior and activities in retirement are influenced by the drivers "to" and "from" but later may diverge from them. For example, those retiring from unsatisfactory jobs may discover new passions, and those retiring to global travel may be unable to do so due to unexpected calamities.

Eventually, we all become frail and die. Time in retirement is a valid dimension. I may later come up with other dimensions, but it would not be "because." Agreeing to politely disagree,

Victoria

Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Already retired.

I walk almost every morning, ideally for 5 or 6 miles, usually drilling to FSI language recordings, or alternate with walks to the the gym and workouts there.

Either way, that takes up two or three hours.

Then breakfast,

Then surf the internet.

Then it's time for lunch, after which I watch some recorded TV.

Then naptime.

Then coffee and my two languages on Duolingo.

Then supper, and more TV.

Then bedtime.

I'm a bit of a robot.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Abe wrote:The Station

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we bring in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a complete jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering—waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

When we reach the station, that will be it, we cry. When I’m 18. When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz. When I put the last kid through college. When I have paid off the mortgage. When I get a promotion. When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after.

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

Relish the moment is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

By Robert J. Hastings
Abe, thank you very much for that. I have saved the quote and may frame it!

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...

Spades

Post by Spades » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 am

Great thread.

1. I'm going to start a small business to keep me occupied

2. Volunteer more (church probably)

3. Spend time with family

4. Drink beer and sit on a rocking chair

:sharebeer

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:02 am

I'm only 32, but here are (at the present moment) my plans in retirement. They match what I would do if I were retired today.

1. Move closer to home/family. Sell the house and pay cash for new one with much more land (heck, I grew up in an area which such a lower Cost of Living than my present location that, even with only 30% equity in my townhouse, I could sell right now and pay cash for a similar house and a few acres). I would roll any leftover proceeds from the sale into my portfolio.

2. I would attempt to be a career changer into becoming a CFA. I expect to receive a pension of approximately 51% of my highest 5, as does my wife (same employer- both teachers), at ages 56 and 54 respectively. So I will expect to have the energy and enthusiasm to get after another career and choose to work when I want to rather than when I have to.

3. I would continue to coach football/basketball on the side as a volunteer with the people I grew up with and love. I coach both now, but I have always wanted to coach with the guys I played with when I was in middle/high school. My relocation does not allow that right now.

4. Just after college, and before entering my current career, I enjoyed, and had a lot of success at, playing poker online. I actually got to work in teaching students of the game through an online training site, but my teaching/coaching/parenting/etc. does not allow me to play/teach poker anymore. Today, i would make it a point to spend a few weeks in Vegas during the World Series of Poker to play as many of the less expensive events I can. If online poker is legal again in the USA at my retirement, I fully plan on dedicating certain days to just playing. It sounds odd (or like a degenerate gambler), but when I question the sanity of stashing away 25%+ of our income into our 403b/IRA accounts each year (especially with the expected pension likely taking care of all our financial needs), I think about how much I will enjoy playing in the WSOP without a financial care in the world.

5. Invest, invest, invest. Anything leftover from any monies I receive, be it pension, RMDs, S.S., tax-deferred accounts, and the "fun" things I do, will be invested into a long term portfolio designed to provide wealth for future generations of my family.

RetiredIn2011

Post by RetiredIn2011 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Retired almost three years ago at age 56.

My goal was to retire "to" something. I always wanted my own software business. I spent most of my career building (architect, manager, years ago developer) commercial products. Some failed and lost money, some made lots of money ($1B profit after 8 years) for the companies I worked.

The problem was, I didn't realize how much pressure and stress I could put on myself. After two years of beating my head against the wall, I decided to just be happy and let things be. The drive to get the business going was giving me as much stress as when I was working. I felt bad when I wasn't working and pushed myself to work all the time. Since this was a one person company, I really missed the human interaction. There was no one to talk things over with or bounce ideas off. I finally realized I wasn't happy and let it go.

For the past year I have just focused on doing what I wanted. Much of how I spend my time:
- reading about retirement and investing
- hitting the gym when they open (5 am)
- cooking healthy
- working on losing weight
- hanging out with friends at the Elks club
- gardening

It must be that old habits die hard but I still find myself making things a bit more organized than they may need to be. Over the past few weeks I wrote an IPS, just because. The exercise in itself was enlightening. Today, I created the menu for Thanksgiving. I listed all the ingredients for each menu item, then aggregated all the ingredients into a shopping list organized by section in the grocery store. All in a MS Word document. Maybe a bit too organized, or too much time on my hands. I sometimes find myself bored, or thinking I should be accomplishing something.

I think the best thing about being retired is that your time is your own. You get to be just who you want to be - doing just what you want/need to do.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm sort of retired. I quit my job 2 months ago, and sort of foolishly let my employer talk me into a 6 months consulting contract so they could ask me questions about what I was working on. But that's starting to dry up so I have more time for myself.

During the two months my personal activities have definitely tended towards the putzing around. I recently bought an Arduino kit and have been playing with that. And yes I'm an INTJ.

I think though when my wife retires in a year or so I'll have to be more social. She'll be wanting to go all over the place, and I'll probably spend a lot of my time following her around.

turboguy

Post by turboguy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 am

Well I guess I am sort of an oddball because I dread the thought of retirement. I read this thread hoping for some good ideas and there were a few. I turn 72 next month and plan to retire at 80 if my health holds out. Right now I work 7 days a week about 11 hours a day but lots of days like today are hardly working. There are other days that I work quite hard and sometimes for 16 hours or more. I have been at work for 4 hours today and mostly just surfed the web and played around with my stock portfolio which is about what I would do if I retired. It is the off season for my business so this time of year I have a lot of time to kill. I have already seen most of the world. I am married to a much, much younger woman so she will be working for quite a while which takes traveling out as much of an option. It might make more sense if I add that I own my own business and that becomes much more a part of you than a job where you are taking orders from someone else. Also my son and daughter both work in my business so I enjoy spending time with them at work. I did find this to be an interesting thread. My best thoughts would be to putter around the house and yard, surf the web and watch reruns of tv programs. The nice thing about getting older is you can watch reruns of tv programs you have seen several times and still sit on the edge of your chair wondering how they will end.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:44 pm

turboguy wrote:Well I guess I am sort of an oddball because I dread the thought of retirement. I read this thread hoping for some good ideas and there were a few. I turn 72 next month and plan to retire at 80 if my health holds out. Right now I work 7 days a week about 11 hours a day but lots of days like today are hardly working. There are other days that I work quite hard and sometimes for 16 hours or more. I have been at work for 4 hours today and mostly just surfed the web and played around with my stock portfolio which is about what I would do if I retired. It is the off season for my business so this time of year I have a lot of time to kill. I have already seen most of the world. I am married to a much, much younger woman so she will be working for quite a while which takes traveling out as much of an option. It might make more sense if I add that I own my own business and that becomes much more a part of you than a job where you are taking orders from someone else. Also my son and daughter both work in my business so I enjoy spending time with them at work. I did find this to be an interesting thread. My best thoughts would be to putter around the house and yard, surf the web and watch reruns of tv programs. The nice thing about getting older is you can watch reruns of tv programs you have seen several times and still sit on the edge of your chair wondering how they will end.
Sounds like you would have enough going on even if you did retire, given this. :happy
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Im "retired",,,,,,I trimmed 6- 20 foot trees yesterday ,Im going out back now to cut up the branches ,then burn along with all the leaves that have fallen from the trees,,Let the fun begin :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee