If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
db55

If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Post by db55 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:29 am

Assume that you had enough money to retire today, pay all of your bills, and have extra money for enjoying life for the rest of your days (with high confidence), what would you do with your time? You are not rich, just reasonably well off and not worried about running out of $$ (upper middle class).

Thoughts?

IlliniDave

Re: If you were retired, how would you spend your time?

Post by IlliniDave » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 am

I do plan to retire early, but only at slightly above median US household income, so below your criteria. But a few of the things I'm looking at doing initially...in no particular order

1. Relocate near family.
2. Learn the ropes of my dad's vineyard
3. Chase walleyes
4. Dust off my old guitar
5. Start a garden
6. Find a part-time job where I can work with my hands/learn a trade
7. CFP/CFA certification (maybe)

I may do some modest travel, visit some friends out west and some of the National Parks, maybe even Alaska.

Nothing too exciting. I won't be in a position to line the trail behind me with 50-dollar bills. But there's a lot of simple things I take great pleasure in. For me, happiness comes from within and flows outward, so I don't have a strong desire to seek fun, if that makes sense.
Last edited by IlliniDave on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:38 am

I retired early at the end of October. Currently doing an MFA in creative writing part time. Completely out of my depth but having a great time.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:02 am

What works for me wouldn't work for you. And I don't know that I have the answers for me. I would say some of the chief characteristics I think about, in contemplating things to try out, are these:

1) “We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.”--Charles Kingsley

2) A slew of various studies that suggest that social engagement of some kind might be an important factor in physical health and maintenance of mental facilities in the elderly.

3) Various studies, hopefully not funded by self-serving agencies, like Volunteering Could Boost Happiness, Decrease Depression And Help You Live Longer: Study

I think the general idea is to find activities that will last for years and involve gradual skill-building, that require only capital investment in gear rather than continuing expense, and that involve socializing.

I used to belong to a barbershop singing chorus, but it folded due to members aging out.

I'm an occasional substitute teacher at the local high school. I dread the routine-interrupting stress of not knowing when I'll get the call AND the stimulating stess of the activity itself, but I feel that the right amount of controlled stress are probably good for me (and if they call and I'm busy I can just refuse).

I hate to mention this in case I lose interest and quit, but I am trying to learn a foreign language--I'm ashamed of being monolingual.

I'm very skeptical about the brain-exercise theories, I suspect inversion of cause and effect--it's not that doing crossword puzzles will prevent your neurons from rotting, it's that crossword puzzles aren't interesting BECAUSE your neurons are rotting.

It's hard to balance the conflicting motives: a) I am retired, I now have lots of time, I should do all the gentle, slow contemplative things I never had time for, versus b) I am old, I don't have much time, got to get through that bucket list. Suspect (a) is a healthier way to think.

Oh, grandchildren. Try to have grandchildren if possible.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:08 am

I did this... I sold most of my stuff, put the remainder in storage and went off to see the world. Traveling fills my soul. Meeting people, seeing different cultures and generally enjoying some of the most beautiful sights the world has to offer. And boy does it have a lot to offer!
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 am

Here is what I did when I retired 3 years ago:

1) Went from attending Bogleheads chapter meetings to being the Area Coordinator for Philadelphia chapter

2) Went from playing bridge one evening a week to 4x per week and became President of my local club

3) Started attending 100% of my boys' high school / middle school sports events, most of which were at 3 pm and previously unattendable by working folk

4) Traveled more, went on several cool Elderhostel (now Road Scholar) hiking trips - Grand Canyon NP, Great Smoky Mountains NP, Big Bend NP.

5) Started going to the gym more, walking the dogs more, jogging more.

6) Got addicted to a lot of time shifted TV viewing using DVR - currently addicted to Criminal Minds

7) Spent more time cooking meals from scratch

8) Set up an LLC and did some consulting - it pays well per hour (although I don't advertise so don't work that many hours) and allows one to fund a Solo 401(k)

9) Spend at least an hour a day reading BH and the links I find here! Wade Pfau's blog, Mike Piper's emails - all great thought provoking stuff!

10) I am financial advisor to my mother in law, brother in law, and his in laws. But since I have made three fund devotees of all of them, it is pretty much set and forget.

Later this month I am going to the National bridge tournament in Phoenix. After a week of bridge, my wife will join me and we will check out the parts of AZ we haven't seen - climb Camelback, Taliesin West, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, cliff dwellings. In January we go spend a week on Maui and a week on Kauai with wife's sister and her hubby - with 3 nights in Napa on the way to break up the trip. Trying to spend the 3.5 MM frequent flyer miles I have left from my job.

Don't worry about how you will spend the time - I often wonder how I found time to work!

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 am

I am on the verge of retiring and my main issue is deciding which of my passions to pursue first. I definitely want to travel, but there are different ways to do it. One option is to take several 2-4 week trips each year, another one is to go hiking for a couple months, a longer commitment is to live in France for a year studying language.

When I travel I get ideas about other things to do from fellow travelers, and it becomes an expanding universe of possibilities. The day of retirement will be the Big Bang.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:49 am

I look forward to retirement so I can volunteer at a local organization that provides personal finance training to low-income residents in the area.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 am

Is this like the bucket list?
Gordon

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 am

Before i retired 4 years ago i read many articles on "planning for retirement". Other than making sure i had enough money to retire comfortably forever i didnt follow any advice from those articles like volunteering, part time work, hobbies, extensive travel etc. I may in the future but not today.
Now that i am retired i find enormous joy in owning my own time and simply not working anymore. If i find myself getting a little bored at 10am on Tuesday or 9pm on Thursday i remind myself that i was usually working at those hours for years and it was not that long ago. I just stay still for a few seconds and the feeling goes away. I basically do nothing other than putz around all day and i love it.

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

reggiesimpson wrote:I basically do nothing other than putz around all day and i love it.
Good for you! I like your honesty. I'm going to be just like you when I grow up! :beer

Sometimes I think some retirees want to be over achievers to impress others or because of their own insecurities. Sort of like high school students embellishing their resume on college applications. It has been my observation that many are masters at planning but fall short in execution.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 am

Putzing is great. My activities are watching Chinese soap operas (does that count as learning a foreign language?), going to the Y to watch my grandchildren dance and sing, bogleheads (when I am not so upset at the things I read that I am on a self-imposed exile), and keeping up my house, the ultimate putz.

Yesterday, the shower drain wouldn't, so I had to mess with some cheap imitation Liquid Plumber from Walmart, after I figured out how to take off the drain cover. I actually tried my toilet snake, but it wasn't long enough. Then one of the heads on my sprinker system exploded. I went to Lowe's and bought three new popup bodies (I already had the spray head). Once that was installed, I tested it and another head on the far side of the lawn exploded! Since I had my now two new bodies left over, I replaced that one too. Now I only have one new unused body. (There is a reason for buying three of whatever you need today.) Putzing at it's best.

The rest of the day was soaps and bogleheads. I was so into my current soap of 53 episodes, I missed my usual Sunday afternoon replay of an old Closer episode.

Now it's back to finishing episode 24. There are no commercials on the web (after the episode starts), so I have to make my own to come here, changing one waste of time for another.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:49 am

I AM retired and I find there are not enough hours in the day.

I do my own houswork and cooking. In addition I do most of the yardwork. I walk the dogs, help my grandchildren with their homework, volunteer for two organizations. I sew for my granddaughter, have lunch with my still-working friends, play on the internet. I manage the money (including the Investment accounts).

We just returned from a 4 week trip to Asia and I am sorting and editing our photos to make a slideshow to share.

And planning the next trip....

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 am

Time flies when you retire :happy
Cook More
Reading all the time
Spend lots of time learning, using technology,computers etc
Walk,ride bike,weights
Visit family in another state
Stream netflix & youtube(that takes time :happy )
Travel some in the Honda
Watch golf channel,play golf
Take care of the dog
Yardwork
Volunteer when I can
Visit Bogleheads site
Drink a little more Folgers Black Silk Coffee :happy
Housework takes time
Spend money at Amazon. :happy
Read anything about finances
Manage finances
Going outside to blow some leaves now :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am

Retired since 2004. Every day is a Saturday. This year my time has been filled by dental appointments including some implants and a bridge, and doctor appointments including physical therapy three days a week. A word of warning, it is easy to be a couch potato when retired and put on some pounds, in my case, my bad. Folks need to spend the effort to keep active after retiring.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:07 am

reggiesimpson wrote:Before i retired 4 years ago i read many articles on "planning for retirement". Other than making sure i had enough money to retire comfortably forever i didnt follow any advice from those articles like volunteering, part time work, hobbies, extensive travel etc. I may in the future but not today.
Now that i am retired i find enormous joy in owning my own time and simply not working anymore. If i find myself getting a little bored at 10am on Tuesday or 9pm on Thursday i remind myself that i was usually working at those hours for years and it was not that long ago. I just stay still for a few seconds and the feeling goes away. I basically do nothing other than putz around all day and i love it.

i retired in march and this is basically me . certain medical issues with the wife have put a drag on things but i believe by next year these will be resolved for her.

In general putzing is great. :mrgreen:

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am

gerrym51 wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Before i retired 4 years ago i read many articles on "planning for retirement". Other than making sure i had enough money to retire comfortably forever i didnt follow any advice from those articles like volunteering, part time work, hobbies, extensive travel etc. I may in the future but not today.

i retired in march and this is basically me . certain medical issues with the wife have put a drag on things but i believe by next year these will be resolved for her.

I am the full time caretaker for a wonderful charming handicapped woman who has liked my cooking for 40 years. I have become expert at planning travel and activities that she can do.

As Samuel Johnson put it

It will be easily believed of the Idler, that if his title had required any search, he never would have found it. Every mode of life has its conveniencies. The Idler, who habituates himself to be satisfied with what he can most easily obtain, not only escapes labours which are often fruitless, but sometimes succeeds better than those who despise all that is within their reach, and think every thing more valuable as it is harder to be acquired. If similitude of manners be a motive to kindness, the Idler may flatter himself with universal patronage. There is no single character under which such numbers are comprised. Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. Even those who seem to differ most from us are hastening to increase our fraternity; as peace is the end of war, so to be idle is the ultimate purpose of the busy. ...scarcely any name can be imagined from which less envy or competition is to be dreaded. The Idler has no rivals or enemies. The man of business forgets him; the man of enterprise despises him; and though such as tread the same track of life fall commonly into jealousy and discord, Idlers are always found to associate in peace; and he who is most famed for doing nothing, is glad to meet another as idle as himself.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

sscritic wrote:Yesterday, the shower drain wouldn't, so I had to mess with some cheap imitation Liquid Plumber from Walmart, after I figured out how to take off the drain cover. I actually tried my toilet snake, but it wasn't long enough. Then one of the heads on my sprinker system exploded. I went to Lowe's and bought three new popup bodies (I already had the spray head). Once that was installed, I tested it and another head on the far side of the lawn exploded! Since I had my now two new bodies left over, I replaced that one too. Now I only have one new unused body. (There is a reason for buying three of whatever you need today.) Putzing at it's best.
If it ain't one thing it's another. I sometimes wonder how I had the time to deal with all these things before I retired.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 am

changing one waste of time for another.
sscritic

+1
Hilarious!
When folks now ask us with that quizzical look on there face........"so what do you do in retirement?" "Changing one waste of time for another" will become our standard answer.

dewey

Post by dewey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am

Retired a year and a half ago--wife retires next month. What I've appreciated most is the value of my time. Owning it is worth more than my portfolio to me now. My days are filled with tranquility and relaxation--though I don't sit around. I normally get up and go to the computer to consult world affairs, do email, pay some bills, stop by this site for a while, etc. Then--when I've built up the courage I go to the gym for an hour or so. Late morning breakfast followed by a shower. I usually have some errands to run or chores, e.g. vacuum the house, clean bathrooms, go to the store for dinner items, etc. Then I reserve a couple hours each day for listening to classical music while I read (it's dubbed 'library time'). Sometimes I nod off at the library for a bit. Then I might have some business to tend to--I find I'm on the phone almost daily for one thing or another. Soon it's time for dinner preparation (I do all the cooking). The evening meal is always a special event for us. Then usually some TV together before bed (I never turn on the TV during the day).

Usually one day a week I treat myself to lunch and a beer at a nearby German pub. Some days I take a nice long walk. Then there's the occasional doctor visit or dentist. I keep after the cars pretty well. I volunteer a bit. Every Tuesday night we Skype with my east coast sister and brother-in-law before our dinner but after theirs (we're west coasters)--usually over a glass of wine or so. I do a bit of writing when I'm moved to it. In September we'll go to Europe for a couple weeks. In two weeks we're spending a few days with our younger daughter going down to Sonoma for a spell. And so it goes. But I agree with Bertrand Russell who said something along the lines of, Time enjoyed doing nothing is never time wasted.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am

dewey wrote: clean bathrooms
Thanks a lot! Why did you have to remind me? Why bother to retire if you still have to clean the bathrooms? I guess that will be my next "commercial break." :)

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:46 am

Spend one or two weeks every year at baseball spring training

Sleep one hour more than I do now

I have promised to do all the laundry (as long as my DW continues to work)

During warmer weather months play golf no less than three times a week

Read for pleasure daily

Do the household shopping

Go to the gym instead of saying "Damn I need to get to the gym"

Make as many games and activities of my three grandsons as possible

Often times put off until tomorrow what I should have done today.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:02 pm

nisiprius wrote:I think the general idea is to find activities that will last for years and involve gradual skill-building, that require only capital investment in gear rather than continuing expense, and that involve socializing.
Hey, it sounds like playing video-games with other people on the Internet fits that perfectly..

(I joke, but I do like video games, so I would play more if I was retired).

I also want to learn Spanish
Learn about basic motor repair and home repair (take classes)
Read on my deck at the lake
Go boating early in the morning.
Exercise more.
Grandchildren.
Travel.
Volunteer (I like Habit for Humanity - they will also teach the home repair I mentioned above)

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Professor Emeritus wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:

I am the full time caretaker for a wonderful charming handicapped woman who has liked my cooking for 40 years. I have become expert at planning travel and activities that she can do.

As Samuel Johnson put it

It will be easily believed of the Idler, that if his title had required any search, he never would have found it. Every mode of life has its conveniencies. The Idler, who habituates himself to be satisfied with what he can most easily obtain, not only escapes labours which are often fruitless, but sometimes succeeds better than those who despise all that is within their reach, and think every thing more valuable as it is harder to be acquired. If similitude of manners be a motive to kindness, the Idler may flatter himself with universal patronage. There is no single character under which such numbers are comprised. Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. Even those who seem to differ most from us are hastening to increase our fraternity; as peace is the end of war, so to be idle is the ultimate purpose of the busy. ...scarcely any name can be imagined from which less envy or competition is to be dreaded. The Idler has no rivals or enemies. The man of business forgets him; the man of enterprise despises him; and though such as tread the same track of life fall commonly into jealousy and discord, Idlers are always found to associate in peace; and he who is most famed for doing nothing, is glad to meet another as idle as himself.

Idler..habitually lazy. Usually attributed to the young.
Putzing ..tinkering, dabbling.

My wife and i have 65 years (in the healthcare field) between us taking care of the sick. We took care of our aging parents till the day they died. Idlers? i think not.
Last edited by reggiesimpson on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:The day of retirement will be the Big Bang.
I like that... very profound.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:21 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:

My wife and i have 65 years between us taking care of the sick. We took care of our aging parents till the day they died. Idlers? i think not.[/quote]

I never counted the years but I took care of my grandfather , my wife's grandfather, my father in law, my parents and now my wife. Not all the work or all the time.
but my dream was to retire and do what we wanted. Never got there.
In mechanics an idler keeps the system under tension but does no "work"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idler-wheel

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:

My wife and i have 65 years between us taking care of the sick. We took care of our aging parents till the day they died. Idlers? i think not.
I never counted the years but I took care of my grandfather , my wife's grandfather, my father in law, my parents and now my wife. Not all the work or all the time.
but my dream was to retire and do what we wanted. Never got there.
In mechanics an idler keeps the system under tension but does no "work"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idler-wheel[/quote]

My mistake. I didnt realize S. Johnson was actually talking about a "mechanical idler". That certainly makes it less rude right?
Before we continue and the moderator cuts us off you are more than welcome to PM me to continue clarifying.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Someone messed up the quotes and is attributing to one what the other wrote and vice-versa. Quoting someone who has messed up quotes just further compounds the problem.

I like to use the preview button before posting.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:55 pm

On my retirement dry run, i.e., working part time, I began painting, drawing, digital photography, hiking and working out. I also have some planned socializing in the morning. Sailing, volunteering, woodworking, bridge and a musical instrument may be in the future. I really have to do some things I am passionate about . Socializing is important for me too. I don't think I could watch soap operas. I like old classic movies and a variety of music though. I avoid television viewing until the evening. I am reigning in the amount of time I spend on the internet.

I would like to become proficient in languages. A long time friend has taken up Asian languages, culture and travel big time. I think I will mostly stick to European languages.

Putzing around means work to me. I may learn to fix a few things, but as we live on a farm, putzing around could become a full time job in itself. I think it is important to be optimistic. I think the older I get the happier I get. I avoid what I don't like.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Great replies here from all, from sscritic's drain work to reggiesimpson's "putzing" around to this from Nisiprius: "I think the general idea is to find activities that will last for years and involve gradual skill-building, that require only capital investment in gear rather than continuing expense, and that involve socializing."

In my partial and then full retirement, I’ve done freelance editing, co-managed rental property, volunteer work for nonprofits, committee work for my townhome association, and helping out with some work on our ever-growing and developing BH wiki. Also wanted to cook better, but so far have learned only to make better soup from scratch, trying to base it first entirely on good recipes (sort of standardizing) and than branching out creatively from there (vs. starting out creative and then turning to the recipe when it goes wrong, in which case it's usually too late). And yes, making soup can be creative, if one first learns to do it the right way.

Retirement also has given me time to discover and then develop an unexpected interest in and love of cartooning, including learning to draw (tons of time needed there, which is why the cooking hasn't progressed beyond soup). Because I’d traveled a lot in my careers, it was a relief to just travel for pleasure to see friends and family around the country. Now I’d like to travel more, taking the cartooning with me on my iPad. Hope there’s still enough of that marvelous retirement time left to do it, but even if there isn’t, it’s already been a great ride.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:
My mistake. I didnt realize S. Johnson was actually talking about a "mechanical idler". That certainly makes it less rude right?
Before we continue and the moderator cuts us off you are more than welcome to PM me to continue clarifying.[/quote]

No, the mechanical term most likely came from Johnson's promotion of the term.

Tennyson wrote
Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean,
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise in the heart, and gather in the eyes,
In looking on the happy autumn-fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more.

and the rime of the ancient mariner

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

In the royal navy anyone who did not "stand a watch" was an idler cooks bakers and Marines
they were the backbone of the capstan crew.

Only in more modern times did the word get corrupted to the usage you describe

FWIW Im a taxonomist in the law and I love words

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:39 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:
Before we continue and the moderator cuts us off you are more than welcome to PM me to continue clarifying.
No, the mechanical term most likely came from Johnson's promotion of the term.

Tennyson wrote
Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean,
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise in the heart, and gather in the eyes,
In looking on the happy autumn-fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more.

and the rime of the ancient mariner

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

In the royal navy anyone who did not "stand a watch" was an idler cooks bakers and Marines
they were the backbone of the capstan crew.

Only in more modern times did the word get corrupted to the usage you describe

FWIW Im a taxonomist in the law and I love words[/quote]

Beyond bizarre.
Please have the last word.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:55 pm

db55 wrote:Assume that you had enough money to retire today, pay all of your bills, and have extra money for enjoying life for the rest of your days (with high confidence), what would you do with your time? You are not rich, just reasonably well off and not worried about running out of $$ (upper middle class).

Thoughts?
I'm going to assume that retire today and retired 19 months ago fall in the same ballpark.

We go out and exercise first thing every morning walking 2 1/4 + miles or more. Wife generally hits the gym for a half to 45 afterwards while I head upstairs (I'm too arthritic to do weight training). We eat out regularly, generally dinners but could be a late lunch/early dinner. We alternate picking restaurants, although we do have our favorites, which are different. Wifey also loves (and I mean loves) to cook. After breakfast we generally head to our computers, me for financial reading, this board and others. Her to her spiritual side readings, teachings and such. She is into Tarot, numerology, astrology and the combinations of them. She has a Tarot web site ... I hope Lady Geek doesn't censure me for this.. the site is FREE, but if you like the reading and results you will have to tell her what charitable donation you made for her reading. Sick kids hospitals, Thai Monks, Churches, Temples, Operation Smile...... all are fair game. She neither gets or wants a penny. If you are so inclined her site is http://www.what-your-number.weebly.com

We go to lots of movies and do our fair share of window shopping at malls. Wifey is especially fond of kitchen stores and such and I like to indulge her ability to cook, from scratch, almost anything I can think of. OMG, last night after fish and salad was fresh baked pineapple muffins. We also like to get into TV series on Netflix, things we had neither the time or inclination to get into when we were working. .. perhaps 2, 3 or 4 episodes at a sitting when we can. Supernatural, Nikita, 4400 come right to mind. We also like to read; books, magazines and materials in our specific fields of interest. Time for hobby's is also important... I'm a photography guy and have been for years. Last but more importantly in my opinion is resuming our international travels. We have been waiting for her green card and for me to finish some extended medical treatments, hopefully we can spend some time early next year overseas.

This of course overlooks lunches and dinners with friends and the such. Actually, what to do in retirement is not the issue for us, the issue is more how did we ever have the time to go to work.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

HomerJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The day of retirement will be the Big Bang.
I like that... very profound.
+1 It was for me.

Taboose

Post by Taboose » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm

My thanks to the OP and all the responses. My desire to work has diminished recently because ofthe hours and stress.
I feel better now as I apporach retirement in a couple years. I've always been told "you gotta stay busy" when retired. There's many ways to do so as noted. My picks will be exercise, so I can continue backpacking and do more of it, start golf again maybe once per week and perhaps some level of volunteer work. I'm glad putzing around also fits in.

I've actually had some anxiety about this, but you have all helped a lot.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Taboose wrote:My thanks to the OP and all the responses. My desire to work has diminished recently because ofthe hours and stress.
I feel better now as I apporach retirement in a couple years. I've always been told "you gotta stay busy" when retired. There's many ways to do so as noted. My picks will be exercise, so I can continue backpacking and do more of it, start golf again maybe once per week and perhaps some level of volunteer work. I'm glad putzing around also fits in.

I suspect retiring as a result of diminished desire for the hours and concomitant stress figures into that decision much more than we may realize.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:24 pm

The Station

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we bring in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a complete jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering—waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

When we reach the station, that will be it, we cry. When I’m 18. When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz. When I put the last kid through college. When I have paid off the mortgage. When I get a promotion. When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after.

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

Relish the moment is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

By Robert J. Hastings
Slow and steady wins the race.

Girino

Post by Girino » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm a couple of years away. I imagine some of it will look a lot my weekends now: furniture making, yard work, distance running, dog care, reading, errands, house maintenance. What I'm not doing now: there is a book I'd like to write. I want to get more involved in dog obedience and agility. More short trips with my wife. I want to spend much less time in front of a computer monitor!

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Go fishing whenever I wanted to.

Go hunting whenever I wanted to (in season of course).

Get a tractor with a front end loader and move dirt around the farm.

Cut ATV trails into the woods and ride around.

Play lots of video games.

Travel during the week when there aren't other people at the sites I want to see.

Use the tractor to maybe take up organic gardening and bring stuff to the farmers market.

Maybe try my hand at bee keeping. (I love honey)

Get a boat and go fishing on the river instead of bank fishing.

Basically make my schedule around what I want to do, rather than what I have to do.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:
Taboose wrote:My thanks to the OP and all the responses. My desire to work has diminished recently because ofthe hours and stress.

I suspect retiring as a result of diminished desire for the hours and concomitant stress figures into that decision much more than we may realize.
Speaking of "diminished desire," I'm reminded of an article where a guy who was about to retire said he was "just not going to jump through hoops anymore." He meant for his company, but it could be for anything. I remembered when I started out in my 20s, eager to jump through any and all hoops as many times and as many hoops as the company wanted - and my late 50s, when if asked to jump through one more hoop, I was ready to say, "You jump through it. I'm outta here." :)
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Fishing and drinking beer. I will figure out something else when I get tired of that.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Fallible wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:

Speaking of "diminished desire," I'm reminded of an article where a guy who was about to retire said he was "just not going to jump through hoops anymore." He meant for his company, but it could be for anything. I remembered when I started out in my 20s, eager to jump through any and all hoops as many times and as many hoops as the company wanted - and my late 50s, when if asked to jump through one more hoop, I was ready to say, "You jump through it. I'm outta here." :)

Exactly. One doesnt need to look forward to world travel, golf etc as a reason to retire. Just getting away from work can be reason enough.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:19 pm

In retirement, what do I do all day?.............Whatever pleases me!

I goof off a lot, sometimes reading all day, with breaks for cooking.

I cook because I like it, and my wife likes it, especially when I clean up afterwards. Since we are both getting a little hard of hearing, we are now getting along better than ever. The service that comes with eating out is nice, but the meals at home are healthier.

Instead of TV, I'm reading all those books that I didn't have time to read when I was working. It is luxurious to choose an author and read his/her oeuvre consecutively. I will volunteer at the library when I want to have more structure in my life.

These days, I walk often, sometimes on the rural road, sometimes in the adjacent national forest, sometimes for several days wearing a backpack. As a volunteer co-steward on a hiking trail in a wilderness area, I spend more than a dozen days a year backpacking to work on the trail there. I did backpack a thousand miles in 2011, in trips lasting 5-7 nights out.

Occasionally, I volunteer with Tom's Sawyers. Tom leads daytrips to cut downed logs off of the hiking trails in a national forest. Last week, we hiked an hour to a 35.5 inch log, then used a crosscut saw to cut it twice to open the trail. The sawing is easy, not anything like a loggers' contest as seen on TV. All of the volunteers that I know, seem to be nicer than most of the stressed business people that I dealt with daily when I was working. I like spending time with such nice people.

Someone who is less of an introvert, might prefer other activities.
Last edited by heyyou on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blueridge

Post by blueridge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Read more (specifically, the classics).
Stargazing, learn all the constellations, and get out the telescope more often (i.e. late on WEEKNIGHTS).
Walk up to the pub more often.
Watch old classic movies.
Running, maybe get up to at least a half-marathon.
Roadtrips (U.S.).
(re-)visit Europe (biannually, already in the budget) - starting next year it's Germany and, oddly, Latvia.
Work on the house.
Cut/split wood.
Swim in the pond more in the summer.
More hunting, learn to gut/butcher a deer for my own venison.
Nature photography (mostly around our scenic place here in the country).
(re-)learn German, and maybe Italian.
Yeah, I admit it, video games.
Walk around the house and do absolutely NOTHING some days.
Forget what day it is.
Get out the old Fender and (re-)learn playing the blues.
ONE WORD - HOMEBREW!
Expand and maintain our small orchard.
Long hikes (do some of the AT perhaps, thinking about England coast-to-coast).

The way I see it, I don't have time to work anymore. :beer

blueridge

Post by blueridge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

heyyou wrote:These days, I walk often, sometimes on the rural road, sometimes in the adjacent national forest, sometimes for several days wearing a backpack. As a volunteer co-steward on a hiking trail in a wilderness area, I spend more than a dozen days a year backpacking to work on the trail there.
That sounds like a great idea. If you don't mind, which NF is this (or what region anyway)? Would love to do something like this for the Appalachian
Trail, which is about an hour away.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Will send PM reply to poster blueridge

second-guesser

Post by second-guesser » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Abe wrote --- Station

Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we bring in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives will fit together like a complete jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering—waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.

When we reach the station, that will be it, we cry. When I’m 18. When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz. When I put the last kid through college. When I have paid off the mortgage. When I get a promotion. When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after.

Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

Relish the moment is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

By Robert J. Hastings

Abe , I enjoyed reading Mr. Hasting's essay. I try to live for the day but sometimes it's easier said than done. Thanks for the reminder.

S-G
Last edited by second-guesser on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statch

Post by Statch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:07 pm

This is a great thread. I'm retiring at the end of the year, and am a little anxious about it, so it's good to hear people are actually doing the things I plan on doing. :happy Some things I'll do more of, and whenever I want, like cooking from scratch (and eating more healthily), reading, quilting/sewing, walking, gardening for wildlife, and some I plan to start doing (exercising, birding, volunteering). We're moving, so we'll spend more time with relatives, and go to the beach whenever we want! A big part of the reason for retiring is to spend more time with my husband, who has some health issues, so I'll be doing that...hopefully by sitting next to him reading while he's fishing, rather than sitting next to him at the doctor's office, though there will probably be some of both.

We had a sunny afternoon yesterday, so I sat for a couple of hours on the patio, reading and enjoying nature. I will definitely not mind doing more that for a while every day.

I'm curious if anyone who did work they found meaningful found a loss of that feeling of purpose after retirement? I'm working on figuring out a substitute for that, but I have time. I figure it's a journey, and hopefully I'll find something I never knew I was interested in or good at. (I have a pretty specialized job, and even though free-lance work is a possibility, I've been doing this for 32+ years so it's probably time for a change.)

Taboose

Post by Taboose » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:13 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:
Fallible wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:

Exactly. One doesnt need to look forward to world travel, golf etc as a reason to retire. Just getting away from work can be reason enough.
I appreciate these responses. I look forward to having my own schedule and jump through my own hoops. I was looking at 5 more years, but now look at 2-3 at most. And so much of the stress seems unnecessary.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Statch -

I found that I did not miss work at all. I thought before retiring that I might want to continue programming, and kitted out my PC to do so. But once I was retired, I never bothered to think up something to write. It slid away from me and that was fine.

My patio is my favorite travel destination. I did enough traveling when younger -- not a lot, but enough to get an idea of the world. Senior bus tours don't have a lot of appeal to me.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%