Best way to sell old engagement ring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BanditKing

Best way to sell old engagement ring

Post by BanditKing »

In late 2006 I got engaged to someone and there was a nice ring involved. I paid about $5500 and It appraised out at about $8,000 or so. The engagement fell through in 2008 and the ring was returned to me and got shoved in a drawer to be forgotten about. Well, I found it recently and after working through the flood of memories and emotions, it's now time to get rid of the thing.

Beyond craigslist or the like, where can one go to maximize the return on it? Obviously the Cash-4-Gold type places will take it and offer a paltry sum on it. Anyone ever had to do something like this and have recommendations?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Best way to sell old engagement ring

Post by abuss368 »

I would fly out to Las Vegas and sell it to Pawnstars - the guys that have the reality show on History channel. At least you may be on television for your efforts with Chum Lee and Big Hoss.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Reuse it for the next engagement. Choose a girl by the size of her fingers.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Unless you can find someone who likes the style of the ring as is and willing to buy a "used" one, the gold is worth scrap gold price. The diamond may bring a better price sold separately at approximately wholesale to a jewelry designer. You might be able to "pawn" it for 20-25% of appraised value. It's a tough market. If you ever think you will need another ring, I would keep it and have it restyled/remounted to suit the new occasion. A different tact might be to donate it and claim the appraised value as a charitable contribution depending on your tax plan.
Toons

Post by Toons »

VictoriaF wrote:Reuse it for the next engagement. Choose a girl by the size of her fingers.

Victoria
I did that with my the wedding ring from my first marriage that was returned.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
midareff

Post by midareff »

There are several good ways (IMHO) to get your value from that, emotions and memories aside. You would not be the first guy on the planet to have a nice diamond ring made for himself with a stone he already owns and a trade in on the scrap gold. Another way to go would be to save it and after you marry have the stone put in a beautiful diamond pendant for your wife at a suitable anniversary.

Or, a ring for you now and a pendant for her later.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Toons wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:Reuse it for the next engagement. Choose a girl by the size of her fingers.
Toons, you crack me up as much as I seem to crack you up. :)

How long did the second marriage last after she found out she had the ring from your first wife? I wouldn't have the guts to even try to pull that off.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

How long did the second marriage last after she found out she had the ring from your first wife? I wouldn't have the guts to even try to pull that off.
It could be Toons's forth marriage. No guts, no glory.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

'
This seems like a pretty efficient market, thoug I've personally never had cause to use it:

www.idonowidont.com
Toons

Post by Toons »

VictoriaF wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

Victoria
LOL,,,I had won the diamond ring in a sales contest.My current wife and I agreed the "monies" used to purchase a new ring would be better used as a contribution to some sort of investment,mind you this was 3 decades ago(eventually I bought a ring "just for her" oh maybe 10 years or so later @ Price Club,,,, :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Greatness

Post by Greatness »

sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

Rings are expensive. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] She wouldn't know unless you tell her. Why someone would do that is beyond me.. I got mine off of eBay. Then again, it was new and had to be created, not used and GSA certified. Had it verified and appraised. Paid 2700 for it. Similar ones at the rip off jewelry stores were 7500 +. Guess I did okay. Everyone, still to this day, loves the ring. Anyways, back to the OP. I know the owners of IdonowIdont.com. I grew up with one of them (their brother and sister). Good people. I would try either them or eBay.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Greatness wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

Rings are expensive. Not everyone is as rich as you SSCRITIC. She wouldn't know unless you tell her. Why someone would do that is beyond me.. I got mine off of eBay. Then again, it was new and had to be created, not used and GSA certified. Had it verified and appraised. Paid 2700 for it. Similar ones at the rip off jewelry stores were 7500 +. Guess I did okay. Everyone, still to this day, loves the ring. Anyways, back to the OP. I know the owners of IdonowIdont.com. I grew up with one of them (their brother and sister). Good people. I would try either them or eBay.
A relative of mine(who could afford to buy any ring at almost any price)recently got married and purchased both rings @ Amazon,excellent prices,very reasonable. :happy
Last edited by Toons on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Greatness wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

Rings are expensive. Not everyone is as rich as you SSCRITIC. She wouldn't know unless you tell her. Why someone would do that is beyond me.. I got mine off of eBay. Then again, it was new and had to be created, not used and GSA certified. Had it verified and appraised. Paid 2700 for it. Similar ones at the rip off jewelry stores were 7500 +. Guess I did okay. Everyone, still to this day, loves the ring. Anyways, back to the OP. I know the owners of IdonowIdont.com. I grew up with one of them (their brother and sister). Good people. I would try either them or eBay.
You have to apologize to sscritic for calling him rich, or he will disappear again.

Victoria
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

+1
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Toons wrote:

Victoria
Bet that gave your second wife such a warm and cozy feeling. :shock: When you care enough to send the very best.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Greatness wrote: She wouldn't know unless you tell her. Why someone would do that is beyond me..

The best way to start a marriage is to lie early and often. Don't tell her about the number of your old girlfriends you are still seeing. Why someone would do that is beyond me .. :)

P.S. My uncle gave me my grandmother's engagement ring when he thought I was serious about someone. When I gave her that ring, I didn't lie and claim I bought it myself.

P.P.S. My name has no caps. Please show the proper respect and use it correctly if you must use it at all.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

HueyLD wrote:
sscritic wrote:P.S. My uncle gave me my grandmother's engagement ring when he thought I was serious about someone. When I gave her that ring, I didn't lie and claim I bought it myself.
sscritic,

There is a BIG difference between a family heirloom ring and a ring from an ex. Just saying........
And when my first wife died, I took the ring off her finger before she was buried, but I didn't give it to my second wife. I guess I am rich, or maybe I thought that my second wife deserved her own ring.
nash031

Post by nash031 »

BanditKing wrote:In late 2006 I got engaged to someone and there was a nice ring involved. I paid about $5500 and It appraised out at about $8,000 or so. The engagement fell through in 2008 and the ring was returned to me and got shoved in a drawer to be forgotten about. Well, I found it recently and after working through the flood of memories and emotions, it's now time to get rid of the thing.

Beyond craigslist or the like, where can one go to maximize the return on it? Obviously the Cash-4-Gold type places will take it and offer a paltry sum on it. Anyone ever had to do something like this and have recommendations?
I kept a previous engagement ring in a safe deposit box for about three years. I then traded it (the diamond was the only thing of any real value) back to the diamond broker from whom I bought it, and applied that to the purchase of another diamond. Based on the appraisal of the original diamond, I got fair value and it was an extremely simple transaction.

I would strongly recommend the use of an individual diamond broker as you cut out part of the mark up at the stores. You might be limited by what he has in stock, but by buying (both) stones loose, I was able to design a setting that had meaning, and set a stone, for good cost. Both rings have been appraised independently at much more than I paid.

So, I'd take that stone to a broker, and negotiate with them, or hold on to it until you want to buy a new stone, and then negotiate a "trade in". Worked for me!
prudent

Post by prudent »

Always wondered about this... since everyone has diamonds which appraise for more than the cost, what's the point of appraisal? To create inflated insurance premiums?
goodenoughinvestor

Post by goodenoughinvestor »

To the OP: I had an engagement ring that cost $5000. When I went to sell it (the diamond) I was offered about $2000. But the jeweler said I could get closer to $5000 for it if I had it certified. In other words, if you have documentation of the diamond's "4 cs," selling it can be pretty straightforward. At least that's what I was told. For now, I've just stuck it back in the bank vault! Here's a link to GIA, the org. that grades diamonds. At the time I was told it would cost about $100 to have it graded:

http://gia4cs.gia.edu/EN-US/gr-diamond- ... 7AodXywAlA
Greatness

Post by Greatness »

sscritic wrote:
Greatness wrote: She wouldn't know unless you tell her. Why someone would do that is beyond me..

The best way to start a marriage is to lie early and often. Don't tell her about the number of your old girlfriends you are still seeing. Why someone would do that is beyond me .. :)

P.S. My uncle gave me my grandmother's engagement ring when he thought I was serious about someone. When I gave her that ring, I didn't lie and claim I bought it myself.

P.P.S. My name has no caps. Please show the proper respect and use it correctly if you must use it at all.
No one said to lie. [OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek] I am happy to hear your uncle gave you a family heirloom to give to your then girlfriend. Many do not have that option. Many in fact have to save up for a ring for their girlfriend.

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Greatness wrote: No one said to lie. However, you may think engagement rings come in Fruity Pebbles' boxes or something.
Wedding and engagement are not the same words.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

prudent wrote:Always wondered about this... since everyone has diamonds which appraise for more than the cost, what's the point of appraisal? To create inflated insurance premiums?
Yes, and to make people feel like they got a good deal.

Buy a diamond that's "worth" $8K for $5K and have trouble selling it for $3K.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Greatness wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote: I did that with my the wedding ring from my first marriage that was returned.
How long did the second marriage last after she found out she had the ring from your first wife?
Rings are expensive. ... I got mine off of eBay. Then again, it was new and had to be created, not used and GSA certified. Had it verified and appraised. Paid 2700 for it.
Why did you buy a wedding ring for $2700 when you can get a simple band for a few hundred? Not everyone is as rich as you.

How much did you pay for the wedding ring you gave your first wife if you spent $2700 on the second?
Topic Author
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

goodenoughinvestor wrote:To the OP: I had an engagement ring that cost $5000. When I went to sell it (the diamond) I was offered about $2000. But the jeweler said I could get closer to $5000 for it if I had it certified. In other words, if you have documentation of the diamond's "4 cs," selling it can be pretty straightforward. At least that's what I was told. For now, I've just stuck it back in the bank vault! Here's a link to GIA, the org. that grades diamonds. At the time I was told it would cost about $100 to have it graded:
It is a certified diamond and I have the paperwork for it, so that's good to know.
momar

Post by momar »

Nice that you got it back.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Greatness

Post by Greatness »

sscritic wrote:
Greatness wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote: I did that with my the wedding ring from my first marriage that was returned.
How long did the second marriage last after she found out she had the ring from your first wife?
Rings are expensive. ... I got mine off of eBay. Then again, it was new and had to be created, not used and GSA certified. Had it verified and appraised. Paid 2700 for it.
Why did you buy a wedding ring for $2700 when you can get a simple band for a few hundred? Not everyone is as rich as you.

How much did you pay for the wedding ring you gave your first wife if you spent $2700 on the second?
Only married once brain. Engagement ring was 2700. Wedding band was 300.00 from Overstock.com.
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

VictoriaF wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Toons wrote:

Victoria
Second marriage (except for widow(er)s), triumph of hope over experience. Third, fourth, fifth . . .

Best wishes,
Harry at Bradenton
ASUSundvls

Post by ASUSundvls »

I found myself in this situation of having an extra diamond ring on my hands from a prior engagement. I finally got to the point of selling it this past January, and for the last 10 months have tried (unsuccessfully) to do so. I've tried the website above (Idonowidont) and gotten probably 8 or so people messaging me with varying levels of interest, but everyone there seems to just be looking to low-ball you so I didn't really have much serious interest. My ring is GIA certified, value roughly close to what the OP's is.

I talked to a local jeweler, and he told me that selling the ring is a tough thing, and your options are:

1. if you bought it from a chain that offers "trade up" or whatnot, you are set. Some of them will say "as long as you spend at least x dollars more" then you get your full purchase value. This is probably the only way to get what you paid for it. Unfortunately I bought mine from a family friend of my ex who was a private jeweler just before he retired (oops!).

2. Selling to a pawn shop: get very poor value (supposedly 10% or less but I've never tried), but can get it ~immediately.

3. Sell to private jeweler/consigment: somewhat better than pawn shop but not much (and this was according to the private jeweler I talked to), and can take a long time.

4. Sell on IdonowIdont/ebay and other such websites. Supposedly somewhat better value, and a crapshoot as to whether if it evers sells. As I mentioned I got lots of messages, but no actual serious interest. I just went back and checked, and it really really seems like the Idonowidon't website is seriously over-saturated with rings. I put in my ring's own specifications to search for (just to look at the page) and it still took me like 4 tries to actually find the listing.

5. Sell on craigslist: probably able to get higher value, but your chance of getting murdered is roughly 10000x higher. I've never actually tried this.

I'm kind of resigned to just keeping my "cursed ring" as all of my friends call it, and either making it into an expensive gift for someone else or giving it away to a family member at some point.

Good luck.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Greatness wrote:
sscritic wrote: How much did you pay for the wedding ring you gave your first wife if you spent $2700 on the second?
Only married once brain. Engagement ring was 2700. Wedding band was 300.00 from Overstock.com.
Perhaps you missed that the conversation you entered into was about wedding rings and second marriages. Why did you think your comment about spending $2700 on a ring wouldn't be taken to refer to a wedding ring for a second marriage? If you knew the conversation was about a wedding ring for a second marriage, why would you write about an engagement ring for a first marriage? I don't see the connection. I try to post things that are relevant to the comment I am replying to, but that's just me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a few off-topic comments. As a reminder, see: Forum Policy
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
Please stay on-topic, which is how to sell an old engagement ring.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (selling engagement ring).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MooreBonds

Post by MooreBonds »

VictoriaF wrote:Reuse it for the next engagement.
I'm in a bit of an engagement diamond pickle myself, being a value type-of-guy.

I was engaged in March 2009. Right at THE bottom of the stock market - which, as many are aware, also impacted other industries, ranging from real estate to construction. Including the DeBeer's-controlled diamond industry.

(side story: a local jeweler I have used in the past told me that in February 2009, the kaka hit the fan in the diamond industry. DeBeer's normally 'sells' black boxes of cut diamonds to the wholesalers for $20 million a pop. Usually, the diamond wholesalers will always buy them because they are in the DeBeer's network, and don't have much say in the matter. Well, business was so bad that they simply said "Sorry, we can't buy any more boxes this month". DeBeer's tried to threaten them with kicking them out of their network, but 80% of the wholesalers stood firm and simply said "no", which was supposedly a rare first time that ever happened).

Anyway, I was using a diamond broker from the internet (Whiteflash) to look for an engagement diamond, and my diamond consultant called me up with a great diamond that just came up on their wholesale network. She quickly reserved it for a shipment to look at it in their store so no one else could grab it. Because the diamond industry was having such tough times, some people were dumping truly great stones for ridiculous prices.

I managed to get mine at a great price.

The engagement broke off, and when I sent it back to the wholesaler to sell it a year later (after going back and forth on what to do with the diamond), they were going to actually pay me about $750 more than what I paid for it, and were selling it on consignment. When it saw it listed on their website, they had it listed at a price that was about 67% higher than what I paid for it!

I tried to ask if they would give me their 'sales price value' in exchange for another diamond, but they said no. So, I asked them to ship my diamond back to me, given that it is worth considerably more than what I paid for it.

When the time comes, I'll ask that special lady how she would feel with receiving an engagement diamond that I picked out before, given it's value. If she isn't interested, then I'll simply sell it at that time...but given that it's a great stone, I'd rather wait and ask her.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Another alternative.

Could have it remounted as a diamond stickpin... really pops against a dark tie. Then when you receive admiring comments from couples at parties, tell the story of how it was a given to you by an old girlfriend. "Actually, it was given back to me...." (Punchline.)

Husbands hearing the story often turn to their wives and say, "Dear...?"; to which she replies, "Not on your life!" or "Over my dead body."

A friend of mine (yea, that's it) did this. But don't know if this little bit of fun is worth $5K.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

momar wrote:Nice that you got it back.
According to Emily Post or someone like that, the person who is dumped gets the ring.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Victoria
Or better...if you don't need the money, and if you have kids, save it with the intention of giving it to them if they get married (or even if they don't). As others mentioned, you are likely to only get a fraction of what you paid if you sell it.

Side note- One of the funniest, and smartest, things I have heard done by a scorned, soon-to-be-divorced husband was switching his soon-to-be-ex's engagement diamond for a cubit zirconium when she wasn't looking (laughing).

(another side note.....I wonder if Victoria's suggestion of choosing a girl by the size of her fingers is any worse a predictor of marriage prognosis than any other.....)
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbh42

Post by jbh42 »

BanditKing ,
if you let us know the GIA Report number someone on this site may be able to help you.
The report is available for anyone to see and does not reveal your name.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:

Victoria
(another side note.....I wonder if Victoria's suggestion of choosing a girl by the size of her fingers is any worse a predictor of marriage prognosis than any other.....)
It makes perfect sense to choose the significant other based on her or his most significant digit {giggling},

Victoria
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Victoria
It makes perfect sense to choose the significant other based on her or his most significant digit {giggling},

Victoria
of course some go for significant figures, but watch the rounding errors
Gort

Post by Gort »

Victoria
Start large then go skinny. It's easier and cheaper to resize the ring by taking metal out rather than putting it in.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

• Issue:
Professor Emeritus wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
of course some go for significant figures, but watch the rounding errors
  • Solution:
Gort wrote:Start large then go skinny. It's easier and cheaper to resize the ring by taking metal out rather than putting it in.
The solution is to round down.

Victoria
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Victoria
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
-Sauron.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Fund the Roth Iras first,then go look for rings :happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

protagonist wrote:

Victoria
-Sauron.
That would be an encagement ring.

Victoria
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

ASUSundvls wrote:I've tried the website above (Idonowidont) and gotten probably 8 or so people messaging me with varying levels of interest, but everyone there seems to just be looking to low-ball you so I didn't really have much serious interest.
When you buy a ring at retail, something like 50% or 75% of the price you pay goes to retail markup. You shouldn't expect to ever recoup this amount.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

VictoriaF wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Victoria
-Sauron.
That would be an encagement ring.

Victoria
Yes, that was the implication. (smile)