Have you ever used your credit card's warranty extension?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightheir

Have you ever used your credit card's warranty extension?

Post by lightheir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Have you ever used your credit card's warrantee extension? Just curious - I have a plain vanilla Mastercard, and in reviewing the benefits recently, saw that it extends most warrantees a year after the manufacturer one (some exclusions.) I have no idea how to take advantage of this, but it does seem significant.

mzp3769

Re: Have you ever used your credit card's warrantee extensio

Post by mzp3769 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Yes, I used my Amex and that was very easy. Amex refunded money based on an shop's repair estimate for a broken laptop. We just got a new laptop for the refund.

BigFoot48

Re: Have you ever used your credit card's warranty extension

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes, I also used the extended year given by my Costco Amex card to get money for a new TV after one nearly three years old failed and the repair was going to cost more than a new one. The TV had a one year warranty, Costco added another year, and Amex a third. Amex handled it quickly and professionally.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

widestance

Post by widestance » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Once for a dead iPod battery (purchase price fully refunded)
and
Once for a dead home stereo receiver (purchase price fully refunded)

Both were with AMEX and totally painless as long as you have your original receipt to reference the purchase price and date of transaction.

Be sure keep all of your receipts for electronics purchases since they have a tendency to die prematurely.
Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:58 am

also costco amex and no problem.

chipmonk

Post by chipmonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:46 am

lightheir wrote:Have you ever used your credit card's warrantee extension? Just curious - I have a plain vanilla Mastercard, and in reviewing the benefits recently, saw that it extends most warrantees a year after the manufacturer one (some exclusions.) I have no idea how to take advantage of this, but it does seem significant.
Yes, I did it once with Visa for a laptop (totally painless and easy) and once with AmEx for a Garmin GPS watch (much more difficult than it should have been since they repeatedly miscategorized and rejected my warranty claim, then finally approved it).

Definitely worthwhile for saving on replacement costs for broken electronics, in my experience.

strafe

Post by strafe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:16 am

Yes, with AmEx. Imac hard drive failed. They paid the $400 bill (outrageous apple markup for a $75 drive) without hassle.

The Amex process is more streamlined than visa/mc from my experience.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:42 am

Yes, with Visa a couple of times, both for laptop issues. Process was easy and repairs paid in full.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am

I used a visa card (forget which issuer), but I wouldn't classify it as "easy" or "painless". I had to fill out forms, provide substantial documentation and waited for my product replacement. The whole process took more than a month, but it did work in the end.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:40 am

I was able to replace the hard disk on a laptop during the extended warranty with AMEX.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

WHL

Post by WHL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Never. Frankly, I don't keep most of my credit cards long enough for this feature to even be useful. Hell, my oldest credit card at this point is only 15 months old :mrgreen:

tran_man007

Post by tran_man007 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm

I've used it often enough that my wife even knows to make "big" purchases on our Amex. I agree with the previous poster, AMEX seems to be more streamlined than Visa.

Some of my reimbursements:
$750 for repairing my 60day old Macbook Air after accidentally spilling water on it
$300 for a printer that died 2 weeks prior to the warranty extension ended
$80 for a book that I spilled coffee on after owning it for one week
$200 for an ipod that lost it's backlight

tran_man

jasonlitka

Post by jasonlitka » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes, my AMEX Blue Cash covered the repair of my (slow) leaking washing machine. Total bill of around $280 (parts of around $60, $220 in labor for two service calls, diagnosis + repair).
Jason Litka

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm testing the AMEX 90 day purchase protection right now on a stolen laptop. I filed the claim
Waiting to hear

newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Yes I did with my Discover Card last month.
I purchased IPAD 64GB for $699 last year. I did not buy apple care.
Last month it stopped worked and I was over the 12 month standard warranty duration. There was not damage to the IPAD.
I took it to the apple store and they gave me a statement showing that my IPAD was broken and they will replace it for $299.
I had to fax apple repair statement, original receipt, apple IPAD warranty and I got a check for $299.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Not Yet :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SamB

Post by SamB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I have used the one year warranty extension provided by my VISA card. You have to purchase the item with the card of course and then register it. After you pay for the repair you file a claim for reimbursement. It worked as advertised.

They provide extended warranties for a price, but I have not used those.

Hat

Post by Hat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:53 pm

I always use AMEX for items with a warranty. Both times I've needed the extended warranty, my account was credited within a few days.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 pm

How do you have them cover for spillage? I thought that was an exclusion under most warranties.

Topic Author
lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Did you AMEX folks get AMex for the warrantee benefits? Or was it just a perk that you happened to also enjoy?

I'd consider getting an AMEX just for the warrantee extension as well if you guys are doing it for that reason. (MY mastercard does have a warrantee extension, but not sure how much of a headache it would be to get it to work.)

Groundhog

Post by Groundhog » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks to this thread I saved my brother in law $270. He mentioned to me the other day he managed to drive over his 3 week old Sony digital camcorder. He was ready to write it off but I mentioned if he bought it with a credit card it might be covered by the card's policy. He called MC today and they said they cover accidental damage up to 90 days. He has some paperwork to do but was thrilled and called me today to tell me the good news. Thanks Bogleheads!

rmoriarty

Post by rmoriarty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 am

I have used Amex's replacement policy a couple of times and it worked pretty smoothly. I have also lost out on using the replacement policy due to inability to find my original receipts. Need to figure out a digital storage approach to insure the latter experience does not happen again - that's the key!

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:24 pm

As a follow-up to my post about using Amex' extended warranty successfully with a Costco-bought TV, the TV that was bought to replace the first failed one was found to be defective this week, 26 months after buying it. So I called Amex and they politely explained that, effective October 1, 2011, any item bought at Costco and covered by their second-year warranty, where the manufacturer's warranty was one year, would no longer be covered by Amex for another year. This TV was bought in November 2011. But, for example, if the item had a three-year warranty, they would cover another year, up to a total of five years.

I just hope the only 46" TV Costco had, a Samsung, lasts longer than the defective one did, also a Samsung. :shock:
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm

I've done it a couple times with my AmEx Blue, and once with a discover card purchase. All three times was for computer equipment that had passed original warranty but was still within the extension.

In one case, I had a NAS system fail, and they let me replace it with a different brand (same price) and model since the original had a history of quality problems that had come up since originally introduced. On the two AmEx ones, they just sent me money to replace it; didn't care whether I actually did or not.

I did have to jump through some hoops. Had to take the equipment to a local computer place to verify it was broken, but they covered those costs as well.

chuck h

Post by chuck h » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:34 pm

My recent experience with a broken iPhone was almost too easy. I contacted AMEX about my phone with a cracked screen 30 days after purchase. They looked up my purchase in my account and a week later credited my account with the full purchase price. They never asked for any documentation or paperwork of any kind. A week after they reimbursed me, I purchased a new phone for a few dollars less.

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes - Chase Visa. It worked fine. Got the dryer repaired.

Howie

Post by Howie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:24 pm

rmoriarty wrote:I have used Amex's replacement policy a couple of times and it worked pretty smoothly. I have also lost out on using the replacement policy due to inability to find my original receipts. Need to figure out a digital storage approach to insure the latter experience does not happen again - that's the key!
Take a picture of the receipt with your smartphone/tablet and save to Evernote or similar cloud storage?

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 am

deanbrew wrote:I used a visa card (forget which issuer), but I wouldn't classify it as "easy" or "painless". I had to fill out forms, provide substantial documentation and waited for my product replacement. The whole process took more than a month, but it did work in the end.
I also used visa for a laptop, it was a bit of a pain
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln