Pull-ups and Push-ups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight »

OP here.

When it comes to exercise and workouts, every once in a while we fall off the wagon. Or we go on an extended trip. Or we just get lazy, and stop working out. But hopefully, at some point we realize we just have to get back on the horse. And if you're self-motivated, you really don't have to go to a gym.

In addition, your home bodyweight workout does not have to be complicated. Really.

Just choose 4 (or 5) exercises you want to include in your workout. Be sure you include a push, a pull, a legs, and a core exercise (or combination moves). Mine are Pull-ups, Squats, Push-ups, and Planks. Yours can include crunches, leg-lifts, lunges, box-jumps, wall-pushes, Burpees, and/or any kind of dumbbell work, e.g. curls, flys, triceps extensions, whatever.

After you've decided on what you want to do, then decide on how many reps and how many sets you want to do. Start off small; you don't want to hurt yourself or get discouraged. You can increase the number of sets and reps as you progress. Period. Easy peasy.

If you want or need a "personal trainer" app, use it. I like the Tabata Pro timer app. (It's on my iPhone.)

Because of my recent journey, I haven't worked out for 5 months. So two weeks ago I set the Tabata Pro timer for 6 cycles (this is called "work" on the app) of 30 seconds each (I'll explain the 6 cycles later), with 10 seconds of "rest" between each cycle. I indicated that I wanted 5 "Tabatas" (these are the sets). I set a "Recover" time of 1 minute (this is the time between sets).

If I push the start button, about 30 minutes later my workout is finished. Is a 30 minute workout 3 times a week too much to ask of ourselves?

Now, why 6 cycles? These are the number of "activities" I do. When I started 2 weeks ago, my 6 cycles consisted of (1) 2 pull-ups; (2) 10 squats; (3) 10 pushups; (4) 30 seconds of front plank; (5) 30 seconds of right side-plank; (6) 30 seconds of left side-plank.

This past week I increased my pull-ups reps to 3. Next week I'll increase the number of reps to 4, etc., until I'm back up to 5 sets of 10 pull-ups, which is my maintenance goal.

One more thing: To my mind, maintaining a fitness regimen is no different than maintaining an investment plan. How many times have we heard that we should "Set it and forget it"?

So...just go to your room, do your 30 minute workout, and get on with your life!
Last edited by Jazztonight on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

Like Boglehead investing, it's pretty straightforward. Risk v. reward, and time horizon.

Body weight, free weights, machines are all different forms of the same thing - resistance training. You are lengthening or contracting muscles under load. Body weight exercises are limited by you-know-what, so they can only get you so strong or maintain a certain level of strength. There is nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want to get stronger than body weight exercises will allow, or maintain a level of strength greater than they will maintain, you need to lift additional weight.

At some age we all start losing muscle mass and bone density. The best we can hope to do is slow this process down as much as possible. That's where "weight lifting" becomes superior to body weight exercises, because it can reduce the rate of loss {EDIT: more than bodyweight exercises].

And this: Your muscles don't get bigger and stronger when you lift. They get bigger and stronger when you rest, after lifting. Overtraining is counter productive. At 64, I'm down to twice a week.
Last edited by c.coyle on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired: VBIAX 100%
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I do 140/150 pushups 3-4 times/wk. I start with 2 sets of 25; then 2 sets of 30; and then one set of 30 or 40 if I can.

On my “off day” I lift some light weights; dumbbells of 20/lbs and 8/lbs. I usually do 4 different workouts of 8 reps.

I do yoga M-W-F (my “off day”).

I also play racquetball on Tuesday noon and then golf (9 holes) later in the afternoon.

I have to be careful tho; I have had 2 surgeries on shoulder (rotator).

I also had a dislocated shoulder because of an incompetent chiropractor; that hurt like hell.

I also bike or kayak on Sunday morning.

I intend to go down kicking and screaming all the way.

Have a great Sunday!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After my 1st workout, I have revised my plan. Strength training is now every other day of (M-W-F):
  • 5 minute elliptical warmup
  • 3 circuits of:
    • 20 bodyweight squats
    • 10 push ups
    • 10 walking lunges
    • 10 pullups
    • 10 dumbbell rows
    • 60 S plank
  • stretch, hang on pullup bar
Alternating with interval training on my elliptical (T-Th-Sat):
  • Five minute warmup, then repeat intervals of:
    • 30 S increase, 2 min recovery for a total of 20 min
For pullups and pushups, I'm going to failure and cheating my technique to do the needed reps. I couldn't reach the max reps for pullups, even after cheating and doing negatives. Pullups went from 10 (all negatives) to 8 to 5. I'm reluctant to reduce my target reps because I want to do my maximum effort every set - which is going to failure.

I didn't feel so bad after the 1st circuit, but the 3rd time's the charm and I could barely move after I was done. This is where attitude helps. I don't look at how much I left to do. I watch TV (or stream something) and concentrate on my technique.

I'm not discouraged at all. In fact, I'm encouraged to keep going and try harder. The effects of the workout (once I recovered) were noticeable. My posture improved. I simply felt stronger and had more stamina.

As for the interval training, my elliptical can't change the resistance fast enough to keep pace with the 30 S intervals. I do what I can by adjusting the pace.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
T-Wrench

Post by T-Wrench »

Will do good wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 pm I have been doing Mark Lauren body weight training for 5+ years.
+1 for Mark. I call him Mark the Malevolent but his workouts have worked the best for me. Doing one-armed push-ups thanks to his routines, but working on doing better pull-ups.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:14 pm
For pullups and pushups, I'm going to failure and cheating my technique to do the needed reps. I couldn't reach the max reps for pullups, even after cheating and doing negatives. Pullups went from 10 (all negatives) to 8 to 5. I'm reluctant to reduce my target reps because I want to do my maximum effort every set - which is going to failure.
I don't know how you are cheating with technique for pull ups but I found a band (first google hit https://www.rubberbanditz.com/info-cent ... -up-bands/ . Seems very expensive for a rubber band but they do demonstrate how to use them) was the way to go when I was starting out. You can still use good technique (we can debate if kipping and the like are good or bad. They do target different muscles) and see progression.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! That's a good idea, but I don't need a band (it might help others, though). My cheating technique is to jump up part-way and then pull myself up until my chin is over the bar. Then, I release slowly. To me, that's a negative pushup.

I'll first try to do a "real" pull-up to get an idea of where I'm at.

The last time I was in shape, I could do 5 "real" pushups. My best ever was 10, so I know what to shoot for.

=======
A "negative" exercise is one where the stress is placed on the relaxation part of the motion. For example, contract on a count of 1, 2. Relax on a count of 1, 2, 3, 4. The slow release does most of the workout. It's an effective way to build yourself up.

Nearly all of my exercises were negative when I had my Bowflex.

(If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

If you're short on time, a quick workout that is hard to beat is 7 minutes of burpees - just do as many as you can.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:08 pm Found this thread via the Powerlifting thread. Any other Bogleheads still doing bodyweight fitness?

I have been doing Reddit's /r/bodyweightfitness Recommended Routine for close to a year now.

My progress:

All planks/holds i can hold for 60 seconds
I added the "Alphabet" to my bodyline section for abs, google it if needed

Dips - I am still in the first Support Hold Progressoin. Some days I can hold for 60 seconds straight but most days I hold for 30, take a ~5 second rest, and hold for 30 more. I use two tall chairs! I have a lot of trouble keeping a good breath while doing these.

Squats/Step ups - I vary which one I do, but these were always pretty easy for me as my legs are strong, it's my upper body that is very weak (female) - can easily do 8x3 and often do more

L-sit: I am still on the one leg supported progression, I cannot imagine myself ever doing a real L sit, just seems impossible. I also just noticed this is no longer on the recommended routine and was replaced with Skin the cat progression, will have to check that out.

Handstand: I am on the "wall handstand" progression and am still keeping one foot on the wall. I can see myself getting a real handstand someday but at present I am too frightened to push off the wall.

Pushups: this is where I've made a lot of progress. I am now doing incline pushups but am getting close to doing "real" ones

Rows: I just got rings recently and have them on my pullup bar, I can do incline rows and am working my way to horizontal ones.

Pull-up: I just got a bar a few weeks ago and am still just hanging on it for 15-30 seconds for now. I may try negatives soon. The first few weeks I was holding the bar incorrectly and got bad calluses, I googled this issue and found a lot of help and changed my grip. Unfortunately that grip is much weaker so I'm working that up first.

After nearly a year my arms are very noticeably more toned but my weight has held steady. I could probably be losing weight if I was more careful with my portions and went back on calorie counting. I notice I crave eggs, nuts, and olive oil more than I did before I started working out.
How often do you do the squats? every day? every other day? I am the opposite. My upper body is strong but my legs are weaker. Do you add weights to the squats?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Based on my experience, get your form down first. Then, worry about adding weights. I'm doing likewise for my upper body (pull-ups).

If your legs are weak, then use a chair for balance. Try your best and go to failure. After a while (a week or so), you should be stronger and able to work without the chair.

====================
On a related point: Mind and body work together. Building strength will put you in a better state of mind and bring confidence. I have the confidence to publicly say that I'm not doing as well as I'd like.

To new investors reading this thread: This is no different than asking for investing advice and not understand what we're saying. There is absolutely no shame in asking a member to explain what's going on. We are more than happy to repeat / retry as many times as it takes so you get the help you need.

I'm getting extra help (and very good suggestions, thanks) because I've stated my situation.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

lostdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:15 pm How often do you do the squats? every day? every other day? I am the opposite. My upper body is strong but my legs are weaker. Do you add weights to the squats?
I do squats 3x per week as part of my normal total body workout, sometimes I substitute step-ups instead which are a higher progression. Personally while step-ups are fine I still like the basic squat for an all-around leg workout.

I should probably start using some weight for my squats since I can do 3x10 or more easily. However I agree with LadyGeek, start with no weights.

This might help you, it is the squat progression from /r/bodyweightfitness.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After my last workout, I wasn't going to failure on my set of 20 body squats (x3 circuits). It seemed too easy.

Since I have my gallon sand-filled milk jug (13 lbs), I just added it to my workout. I don't quite go to failure, but it made a big difference in the effort. Also, holding the weight close-in actually made it easier for me to maintain my form.

Technically, this is a Goblet Squat as noted by randomguy in Re: Older Women Lifting Weights. He has some good suggestions on when you should / should not add weight.

===================
I should also mention that the workout floor needs to be right. I was covering my hardwood floor with towels to soften the impact. Those towels move under stress, which is not a good idea. The tiny movement causes your to body spend effort to counteract the slipping.

I found some rubber-backed mats instead (what you would use for a bathroom floor). They don't move at all and provide a comfortable surface for pushups and planks. I think it made a big difference in my workout and kept my form solid.

BTW, I have settled in at 5 negative pull-ups over 3 circuits. It's better to get 5 consistent good ones (maximum effort, but still cheating) than be inconsistent. I'll be able to judge my progress better.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Not "cheap" but one of the best purchases I've made... They have different models, some heavier and some lighter. (Lighter = less expensive.)

A set of these and a pull-up bar - that is all you need.
|
https://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-Elite ... 377&sr=8-2

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse_u70stage2.php

Park these puppies next to your desk... Do sets in between browsing the Boglehead forums. No more trips to the gym.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the suggestion. I recommend a careful review before deciding on this product. There are competitors, such as Bowflex; each has its own tradeoffs. Consider if you really need a full stack for what you're doing.

I found a youtube video showing actual use: Bowflex vs PowerBlocks Dumbbells Ultimate Review! - YouTube

Also: Bowflex dumbells 552 AND 1090 Selecttech dumbbell Review P90X
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Taking advantage of an opportunity to be near a sporting goods store (Dick's), I found 3 brands available to try in-person. Trying the weights in-person made all the difference. They had PowerBlocks, Bowflex, and Core Blocks (?).

The PowerBlocks were a good design, but I couldn't deal with the 5 lb increment and sliding that plastic retainer in / out of the block all the time.

The Bowflex SelectTech 552 fit my hands and seemed right. It was very easy to use and the longer bar length did not get in the way of anything. I liked the easy dial-it-in increments of 2.5 lbs (5 lbs after 25 lbs). The maximum of 50 lbs is more than enough for me.

The Core Blocks (?) adjusted the resistance by twisting a plastic collar with the center bar grip. I don't know how that could possible work under stress, as you're constantly putting a twisting force on the bar. It was cheaper than the other 2, but I didn't have much confidence in the design.

I came home with the Bowflex dumbbells. My squat, lunge, and dumbbell row now use dumbbells. It was far too easy to adjust the weight for each exercise - perhaps easier than when I had my Bowflex resistance machine.

I am truly going to failure for my exercises now. The allure for strength training is strong. Having these dumbbells satisfies this need. It's everything I can do with weights, but without access to a barbell. (Except for heavy dead lifts.)

The manual which came with the dumbbells has a comprehensive list of exercises to follow. I don't see how having individual dumbbells could be used at home unless you have a rack of equipment.

Caution: The box is 117 lbs. Take this into consideration if you are picking this up at a store (literally). Transport could be concern. Be very sure to follow the unpacking instructions (set the box upright, the instructions are at the top). Alternatively, Bowflex is offering free shipping on their website. The price seems to be $299 everywhere - including Bowflex.
schutzk21

Pull Up Bar/ Push Up Routine

Post by schutzk21 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi All,

I wanted to start getting into "somewhat" shape moving forward. I am in my 30s and never really worked out much in my adult life. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on a good routine doing pull ups and push ups. I always worry about getting one of the bars that you attach to a door frame, because I am afraid its going to tear the frame. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one that is well-priced?

Can anyone recommend a daily or weekly routine I can possibly follow to start this year? I plan on trying to get out and jog more too.

Thanks so much!
PrinceAli132

Re: Pull Up Bar/ Push Up Routine

Post by PrinceAli132 »

I would recommend looking over the wiki here which has routines:
Reddit Bodyweight Fitness Wiki and FAQ
Last edited by PrinceAli132 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Try for 3 sets of pull ups and 3 sets of push ups every other day. Once you have built strength, get "blocks" for push ups.
I had a bar for chin up in the door frame many years ago. It never damaged the frame, but if you have access to a free standing chin up bar, you will get better range of movement, and can advance to behind the neck chin ups.
For running, good pair of shoes, soft surface, ie track if possible, and increase distance no more than 10% weekly.
Best of luck.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Hello. I recommend to sign up for some road races, like 5k, 10k, 15k, etc. This puts you on a fixed schedule of running and you will feel like you have a reward in the end. Most people who do this, even half marathon, are not super athletic. You can do push ups and stuff on top of that.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

I have a rock climbing training board. Its much nicer as there are many different holds.

As far as routines, make it a hobby. If your jogging, sign up for a local 5k and look at training for it. Setting a goal helps a lot.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Years ago, I bought a $20 pull-up bar that goes in the door frame. I put in my walk-in closet's door frame. It is basically like new even though I do pull-ups whenever I need to get something from my closet which means daily use. I only weigh about 145 - 150 lbs though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a Push Up Training app from Fitness22 on my phone.

It is one of those "build up to 100 push ups" programs. I am up to ~60 push ups. It is challenging. This program does 5 sets with a 90 second rest period. With a stretching period before and after.

It did cost $2.99 as a one time purchase. I'm sure there are dozens or hundreds of other apps. Why phone? Well I usually have it with me to remind me.

The plan that you regularly do is the best one.
schutzk21

Post by schutzk21 »

Swansea wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 pm Try for 3 sets of pull ups and 3 sets of push ups every other day. Once you have built strength, get "blocks" for push ups.
I had a bar for chin up in the door frame many years ago. It never damaged the frame, but if you have access to a free standing chin up bar, you will get better range of movement, and can advance to behind the neck chin ups.
For running, good pair of shoes, soft surface, ie track if possible, and increase distance no more than 10% weekly.
Best of luck.
Do you recommend doing pull ups and push ups the same day, or alternate?
schutzk21

Post by schutzk21 »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm I have a Push Up Training app from Fitness22 on my phone.

It is one of those "build up to 100 push ups" programs. I am up to ~60 push ups. It is challenging. This program does 5 sets with a 90 second rest period. With a stretching period before and after.

It did cost $2.99 as a one time purchase. I'm sure there are dozens or hundreds of other apps. Why phone? Well I usually have it with me to remind me.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to check out that app.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

schutzk21 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Swansea wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 pm Try for 3 sets of pull ups and 3 sets of push ups every other day. Once you have built strength, get "blocks" for push ups.
Best of luck.
As long as you can keep your form for each, and your heart and other organs can handle it, do them the same day. Alternate between each, as the Reddit thread indicates. It's generally a good idea to alternate "push [push-up], pull [chin-up]" exercises for the type of routine you're looking into.

If you've never been the working out type, form is way more important to get down early on than sheer number. Otherwise you're going to hurt yourself.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread is off topic for the Bogleheads forum and is locked (medical advice - exercise). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Update: See below.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

schutzk21's thread is on-topic (exercise) and has been unlocked / merged into the on-going discussion.

FYI - Detailed medical information, such as the health benefits of a diet are off-topic.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm I have a Push Up Training app from Fitness22 on my phone.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to check out that app.
https://www.fitness22.com/

I'm not affiliated with Fitness22, but here is their website. They have a pullups app amongst their linuep.

I tried out several apps before settling on this one. What I like is I can repeat days if I struggle or am tired. I think the pre-stretch and post-stretch are the most valuable part. You can try any of them out before buying which is nice. Don't like, just uninstall.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To be clear, this thread is about body weight exercise. Those interested in weight lifting can search the consumer issues forum for existing threads.
TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 »

schutzk21 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi All,

I wanted to start getting into "somewhat" shape moving forward. I am in my 30s and never really worked out much in my adult life. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on a good routine doing pull ups and push ups. I always worry about getting one of the bars that you attach to a door frame, because I am afraid its going to tear the frame. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one that is well-priced?

Can anyone recommend a daily or weekly routine I can possibly follow to start this year? I plan on trying to get out and jog more too.

Thanks so much!
Yes. my suggestion is go join a rock climbing gym. You get a far more rounded work out than pull ups alone. You get to learn a skill and meet new people. I never improved my pull ups by simply doing pull ups.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I don’t do pull-ups....rotator would not like it.

Pushups....absolutely....around 150/day....4-5 days/wk.
I do 35-40 per set.

My favorite overall strength training.
longterm100

Post by longterm100 »

Darebee.com

100’s of free body weight exercise circuits. From beginner to advanced. I’ve been doing them for 18+ months and have seen a large improvement in strength and flexibility.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

TomCat96 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm
schutzk21 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi All,

Thanks so much!
Yes. my suggestion is go join a rock climbing gym. You get a far more rounded work out than pull ups alone. You get to learn a skill and meet new people. I never improved my pull ups by simply doing pull ups.
Nail the pull ups and fall in love with them. Get someone to help with forced reps. Also incorporate pull downs both close and wide grip with more than your weight. This is key to building pull-ups. Eventually start weighted pull ups. When going back to body weight only, it will feel lite! Takes a lot of work.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Alex Rogan

Post by Alex Rogan »

also if you want to mix it up a little (which you should) there is a bunch of research around very slow contractions in workouts i.e. think 5sec down and 5sec up for pushups. Can apply it to all sorts. Incorporate it a couple of times a week and the gains are pretty amazing. Ben Greenfield advocates these a bunch.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Best of luck.
Do both the same day. I weight train upper body one day, and lower body another day. Serious body builders get more specific, but for the majority of us, the muscles need a day off to grow.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I used to do a strict regimen of bodybuilding type exercises, but it didn't really impact my physique much. Doing body weight exercises, however, has. Now, I do wide pushups, pullups, diamond pushups, and chin-ups with a day or two of rest between each. With pushups, I'll do 7-10 sets of 15-20 reps with 2-3 minutes of rest between. I do about half that many reps with pullups and chin-ups. This has worked far better for me than using weights.
The Sensible Steward
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

This is a great thread. I read it a while back, then I talked to a guy at the gym who is doing the 100 push up challenge, which is where you try to work up to 100 consecutive pushups. Basically you do the maximum you can do, and then every other day for 8 weeks you do 4 - 5 sets of about 60 % of your max every other day with a minute rest between sets.

I started with it and now am at 75 consecutive after 3 weeks. Impressive how well you can progress.

Since it was working I decided to apply it to pull-ups, which I suck at. Up to 8 now, with my goal being to catch Jazztonight😀

Thanks for the inspiration guys

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
rich126

Post by rich126 »

WildBill wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm Howdy

This is a great thread. I read it a while back, then I talked to a guy at the gym who is doing the 100 push up challenge, which is where you try to work up to 100 consecutive pushups. Basically you do the maximum you can do, and then every other day for 8 weeks you do 4 - 5 sets of about 60 % of your max every other day with a minute rest between sets.

I started with it and now am at 75 consecutive after 3 weeks. Impressive how well you can progress.

Since it was working I decided to apply it to pull-ups, which I suck at. Up to 8 now, with my goal being to catch Jazztonight😀

Thanks for the inspiration guys

W B
Nice job.

About a year ago I was able to do around 125 push ups but I messed up my back last March and it has been a rough go. Hopefully I will be able to do something more than walking soon. I've always been terrible with pull-ups.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The older one gets the more you realize the heart and overall fitness is most important (from a former competitive powerlifter).
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

What are the pros/cons of plank vs sit-ups vs crunches?

I would like to toughen-up my midsection more, specifically the muscles around the ribs and stomach.

Currently I do a mixture of regular push-ups, sit-ups and lying front kicks (keeping legs straight, and raising each leg left, right, left, right.)

I only do this twice per week, one set of 25. So maybe it’s also just needing to do it more often or more sets?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

finite_difference wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am What are the pros/cons of plank vs sit-ups vs crunches?

I would like to toughen-up my midsection more, specifically the muscles around the ribs and stomach.

Currently I do a mixture of regular push-ups, sit-ups and lying front kicks (keeping legs straight, and raising each leg left, right, left, right.)

I only do this twice per week, one set of 25. So maybe it’s also just needing to do it more often or more sets?
Does it matter? If you have hurt your back or muscles in your back, so that bending creates pain, then planks can probably still be performed because there is no bending of the spine. With the two others, you might not even be able to do one because of the pain.

Did you see this video? -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p8EBPVZ2Iw You should try doing that workout 5 or more days per week before you eat breakfast. You can start with some of the exercises and for less time, but after a few months or a year or so, it shouldn't be that hard. Seriously. Don't hurt yourself.

Also it is easy to get bored, so changing things up is helpful.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

obgraham wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 am Heavens! I thought this thread was about Lingerie!
And I thought diapers. All about stage of life I guess?
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

longterm100 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:27 pm Darebee.com

100’s of free body weight exercise circuits. From beginner to advanced. I’ve been doing them for 18+ months and have seen a large improvement in strength and flexibility.

+1 darebee.com
Been using this site for about a year. 2-3 workouts per week mixed in with weightlifting 2 days a week and I feel fantastic. And I’m no spring chicken.
johnnyQA

Post by johnnyQA »

I have using this technique to make bodyweight squats harder and more effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blqgneo0rCQ
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I have a few spine mobility issues. But, notwithstanding that, here are some "bodyweight" things that help me (besides time in my downstairs gym).
1. 3 flights of stairs. Full body weight. No handrail cheating. Reps? All day.
2. Squats on the "Total Gym" which supports my spine.
3. Per topic: (I have to recreate the movements of a "pull up" and "push up" on a Bowflex because there's a vertical backboard to take the strain off my back and neck.)
4. Daily Tai Chi. This is a bodyweight exercise I think.

Improvements: I've been able to stop going to rehab and PT with my new routines (every 3rd day).

DW says, "where's your bricks, show me your bricks"?
I answer, "Home Depot". :shock:

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 »

I like to go big....
Bench-420
Front Squat-400
Deadlift-580
Weighted pull ups-90lbs added-5 reps
And lots of wrestlers bridging.
Moving big iron is my stress reliever...more than any other form of exercise. I'm addicted to it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Search this forum for weight lifting threads. Here's one: Bench press and weights

Let's stick to body weight exercises here.
GCD

Post by GCD »

My son has lately been interested in becoming a Smokejumper. One of the things I have told my kids for years now is "if you want something, double the standard and meet it." It's kind of hard to double some things, like an SAT score or GPA, so then we talk about beating it by some percentage of a standard deviation. The "GCD Family Algorithm For Success" aside, I found the Smokejumper PT test and associated minimums. My son and I are now working on tripling the push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. (Well, he may go for tripling, I'm gonna be satisfied with doubling). We'll have to reduce the run times too. The ruck is interesting. I've never rucked for time. I'll have to look into training for that.

Smokejumper PT Standard for those that want to try it. There is a maximum of five minutes rest between events:

1.5-mile run under 11 minutes
25 pushups
7 pull-ups
45 sit-ups
Pack 110 pounds on level terrain in 90 minutes or less
Triple digit golfer

Need to be able to do 30 chin-ups

Post by Triple digit golfer »

[Thread merge into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

I will be doing chin-ups on July 1. Classic, palms facing me chin-ups.

I made a bet with a guy from work that I would be able to do 30 by July 1. He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.

So, my goal is to be able to do 30 chin-ups by July 1, which is 56 days from now. I can currently do 18.

What is the best way for me to increase my one set maximum?

Do I aim for X number of chin-ups per workout, and do it over however many sets I desire? Or do I do Y numbers of sets and increase the total that way?

Last workout I did 15-14-12-8. So 49 total. I can start with 18 to failure, but in subsequent sets I wouldn't be able to do as many.

Just wondering what the best way to increase my ability to do as many as possible on one set. That is the only goal.
reln

Re: Need to be able to do 30 chin-ups

Post by reln »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:20 pm I will be doing chin-ups on July 1. Classic, palms facing me chin-ups.

I made a bet with a guy from work that I would be able to do 30 by July 1. He seems to think it is impossible and only some freak of nature would be able to accomplish such a feat.

So, my goal is to be able to do 30 chin-ups by July 1, which is 56 days from now. I can currently do 18.

What is the best way for me to increase my one set maximum?

Do I aim for X number of chin-ups per workout, and do it over however many sets I desire? Or do I do Y numbers of sets and increase the total that way?

Last workout I did 15-14-12-8. So 49 total. I can start with 18 to failure, but in subsequent sets I wouldn't be able to do as many.

Just wondering what the best way to increase my ability to do as many as possible on one set. That is the only goal.
My pushups max in the army was 101. The way I got there was 1 set max followed up with a long rest period and then doing another 1 set max. And so on. Train as you fight; want to get your 1 set max up? Do 1 set max over and over again. Good luck 👍 you got this.

An easy way to jump up on reps is to lose weight. So try to lose 10 to 20 lbs.