Pull-ups and Push-ups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Redstorm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Redstorm »

We had a small test with our fitness group the other day

How long can you hold the plank position for (on elbows, no arching)?
How Long can you hold a wall sit position for (back against wall, arms loose by side, thighs at 90 deg)?
How many push-ups can you do in a minute (chest nearly to ground and up all the way)?
How many (from a dead hang) pull-ups can you do?

For me it was

2 minutes
1 minute 20

I may do the test regularly to monitor any improvements :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks to livesoft's mention in another thread, your end-of-year performance review is now due. How's it going?

I somewhat slacked off.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
spin_echo

Post by spin_echo »

I like body weight exercises, so I gave this a go
Plank: About 3 minutes (did not think this would be hard but wow, way painful.)
Wall sit: 2 minutes
Pushups: 40
Deadhang pullups: 20
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

Body weight exercises are great for stamina and endurance because you are doing high repetitions with a low weight. They are also very convenient because you need very little equipment other than a pull-up bar. Dips are another great exercise. However, there's nothing wrong with weightlifting if you use good form and don't over exert yourself. Heavy weights are good for bones, muscles, and overall fitness. Bench press, squats, and deadlifts in particular. http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com is a great forum for exercise and nutrition.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

I was just thinking of this thread.

Picked up a New Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar October 13. Am now up to 5 "real" pull ups.

Would never had started without this thread.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

OP here. Thank you, Lady Geek, for resurrecting.

I would update only to say that Bodyweight exercises are great. 30 minutes a few times a week is enough to maintain what you've worked so hard to achieve.

On the days when I don't do my upper and lower body workout, I do some other activity, generally a 3 mile walk or yoga. I just introduced yoga into my life (in my late 60s) in an attempt to add some flexibility. It's hard. But I found this wonderful 60 minute video:
http://vimeo.com/27868984
And recommend it if you're curious in trying it.

Sometimes I'll just challenge myself with: I want to do 100 pull-ups and 100 push-ups today, and what I'll do is 20 sets of 5 of each.

Whatever works.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I'm 65. Not very strong. I can't do a pull up any more. A push up would hurt my bad wrist. I go to the gym and do light weights and machines because they are easier than body weight exercise. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I walk most days. There are big hills here. I have a pool and swim laps in the summer. I feel pretty good.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those who love to exercise, this is your Valentine's day thread bump.

I was reminded of this thread today, as a tree fell over in my front yard. I spent some time with my husband clearing the tree with my favorite outdoor tool - an 18" cross-cut saw.

You never know when you'll need to be in shape, so keep at it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I'm still at it, LG, even as I trudge on through my 60s.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

LadyGeek wrote:For those who love to exercise, this is your Valentine's day thread bump.

I was reminded of this thread today, as a tree fell over in my front yard. I spent some time with my husband clearing the tree with my favorite outdoor tool - an 18" cross-cut saw.

You never know when you'll need to be in shape, so keep at it.
Being in shape (or not) in any number of emergency situations could very well mean life or death.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's the end of the first quarter, status reports are now due.

I've been keeping up with my elliptical trainer and pull-ups, but have probably slipped a bit on the push-ups. I need to get back on-track.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I worked up to 3 sets of 6 pull-ups each. Then I had a relapse. No issues on push-ups or crunches though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

I don't do pushups. I usually do 3 sets of 8-12 neutral grip chinups once a week when I train back. I stopped trying to jerk my body up just to get my reps and started squeezing my lats and trying to focus on using only my upper back muscles as much as possible. No momentum at all. Getting ready for my first NPC bodybuilding show in about a month as a light heavyweight.
scotthew

Post by scotthew »

For an even more intense workout, I add a 25 pound plate to my own weight for pull-ups. I'm sure some bodybuilders could do even more than that.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

I do 5-8 pullups every other day to "keep" the skill since I aggrevated a bulging disk in my neck a couple months ago.
Couple sets of 50 pushups also just to keep the ability.

Took me couple of months to go from negative pullups to couple sets of 5-8.

Still on the eliptical in morning and doing jillian michaels cardio cd's in evening. I'm 40, don't judge...
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Got beaten by a 41 year old mom of two who ran a sub-6 minute mile for 5 miles as well as a 52 year old man who ran close to 5 1/2-minute miles for the same distance. :shock:

I don't know how many pull ups or pushups they can do, but I'm still happy with my 5-6 pullups and 30 pushups, but those are pretty low priority for me right now.
Last edited by lightheir on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

scotthew wrote:For an even more intense workout, I add a 25 pound plate to my own weight for pull-ups. I'm sure some bodybuilders could do even more than that.
Well, bodybuilders are going to be heavier than you average Joe at the gym. And we don't really train for strength. I'm a competitive bodybuilder and weigh 190 right now but up to 225 in the off season at 5'10". I haven't added weight to pullups since I was much lighter. So I would say if you're adding any weight at all for pullups you're doing pretty good.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

mbk734 wrote:Body weight exercises are great for stamina and endurance because you are doing high repetitions with a low weight. They are also very convenient because you need very little equipment other than a pull-up bar. Dips are another great exercise. However, there's nothing wrong with weightlifting if you use good form and don't over exert yourself. Heavy weights are good for bones, muscles, and overall fitness. Bench press, squats, and deadlifts in particular. http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com is a great forum for exercise and nutrition.
I subscribe to body weight exercises only

Try a 1 armed proper(legs together) form push up, 1 arm hand stand push up, standing to bridge to standing, 1 arm pull up, 1 leg squat and a hanging straight leg raise and tell me how light that weight is. I can't do them and 99% of weight lifters can't either. Most weight lifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions. Dips and straight bars can destroy your shoulders as well.

Check out Convict conditioning is you really want to build strength, stamina and strong and flexible joints. It's kind of a cheesy read but it's a great workout that will get you from nothing to stronger than you ever thought possible. Many former weight lifters now swear by it because all of their aches and pains are gone.

My $0.02
scotthew

Post by scotthew »

Well, good point about it being relative to weight. I weigh < 160 (runner build), so adding 25 pounds and doing some 185 pullups may or may not be all that impressive.
Pugs135

Post by Pugs135 »

I've been reading these boards for a while and have been impressed by the brainpower of all of you and now I see this and am in awe of the fitness levels of you guys. Very inspiring. I do some body weight ex excises and have found the insanity max 30 dvd videos which is all body weight and quite challenging.
camontgo

Post by camontgo »

I've managed to go from zero pull-ups to 4 pull-ups in about a month after being inspired by some of the earlier discussions on this thread.

Still an embarrassingly low number, but things are moving in the right direction. I think I'm still in the stage where gains come relatively easy!

My fitness goals for this year are 10 pull-ups and a sub-20 minute 5k. I could do both throughout my late teens and early 20s, but I haven't been in shape to do either for at least 10 years. Getting close on the 5k, so hopefully the pull-ups will continue to improve.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

wfrobinette wrote: Most weight lifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions.
There is no reason weightlifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions while bodyweight movements do not. If that is the case for you, you are doing the wrong movements or have bad form. There is nothing unnatural about joint positions while performing a deadlift, squat, or any number of pulling or pushing movements. If you want to develop a lot of strength, there is no way around the need to increase the resistance - it is a lot more convenient and you have more options when this load is created via weights. FWIW, I do a ton of bodyweight movements (now that I no longer compete in powerlifting, it is probably most of my training), but my ability to deadlift ~2.75x my bodyweight was not developed by doing single leg squats.
keystone

Post by keystone »

In case anyone is interested, I bought one of these Power Towers a couple of years ago and to this day I still think it was the best $100 I ever spent. It is great for pullups, chinups and dips, I find the bar much more comfortable than one of those door frame bars, plus there's a lot more potential for variety with different grips. You can also do pushups with them, but I find regular old floor pushups to be more effective. I would only caution you to check the weight capacity before purchasing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stamina-Power ... m/12536778
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

scotthew wrote:Well, good point about it being relative to weight. I weigh < 160 (runner build), so adding 25 pounds and doing some 185 pullups may or may not be all that impressive.
True, but strength is somewhat relative to weight as well, assuming you compare people with similar bodyfat percentages. Although I have seen some 160lb powerlifters stronger than 220lb bodybuilders, so of course there are exceptions.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

stoptothink wrote:
wfrobinette wrote: Most weight lifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions.
There is no reason weightlifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions while bodyweight movements do not. If that is the case for you, you are doing the wrong movements or have bad form. There is nothing unnatural about joint positions while performing a deadlift, squat, or any number of pulling or pushing movements. If you want to develop a lot of strength, there is no way around the need to increase the resistance - it is a lot more convenient and you have more options when this load is created via weights. FWIW, I do a ton of bodyweight movements (now that I no longer compete in powerlifting, it is probably most of my training), but my ability to deadlift ~2.75x my bodyweight was not developed by doing single leg squats.
If you are using a bar for shoulder presses you are indeed making unnatural joint movements. Same goes for the bench press but to a lesser degree. Studies have shown time and time again that Bodyweight exercises don’t beat up your joints as much as traditional weight training exercises do. They allow for a more natural range of motion and improve your overall athleticism quite effectively. Again try those exercises I listed and tell me they don't provide plenty of resistance. How about an iron cross, Planche and variations.

Body weight exercises have progressions to increase resistance. Ever see a male gymnast? They certainly aren't lifting weights often if at all but have incredible strength.

What's more convenient and cost effective than ones body and a pull up bar. As far as the dead lift, i have no idea what I can do. Let's be real. Weights didn't come onto the scene until earl

For me its all about functional strength as I could care less about muscle mass.

To each their own.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

wfr, I can get on board with your stance that some weightlifting can be bad for the joints. Although, that is more an issue of form for most weightlifting movements. Shoulder presses are certainly not unnatural. Pressing things overhead is a perfectly normal thing to do. I have read that behind the neck presses can be unnatural, and I could agree with that.

What I can't get on board with is that you said earlier dips tear up the shoulders... now you're talking gymnasts, iron crosses, and I'm guessing you know parallel bars are part of gymnastics. That part about dips makes no sense what so ever now.

Your argument is flawed in many ways. There are plenty of functional weightlifting exercises. There are also plenty of good body weight exercises.

I do agree though, to each their own.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Drew777 wrote:
scotthew wrote:Well, good point about it being relative to weight. I weigh < 160 (runner build), so adding 25 pounds and doing some 185 pullups may or may not be all that impressive.
True, but strength is somewhat relative to weight as well, assuming you compare people with similar bodyfat percentages. Although I have seen some 160lb powerlifters stronger than 220lb bodybuilders, so of course there are exceptions.
Two completely different training styles for power lifters and bodybuilders! The power lifter should be stronger in that example, at least max. weight lifted. Try comparing a 160 lbs. power lifter to a 220 lbs. power lifter.

Better yet, let's keep the conversation on pull-ups and push-ups since the weight lifting knowledge being thrown around is.... :wink: :happy
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

wfrobinette,

You say...
wfrobinette wrote:Most weight lifting puts your joints in weird unnatural positions.
There is nothing weird or unnatural about squatting, deadlifting, or pressing. In fact, many traditional barbell movements are simply idealized versions of natural human tasks. Ever lift a heavy couch? Right, just like a deadlift only MORE ackward. Ever put a heavy box on a shelf above your head? Right, just like an overhead barbell press only with a MUCH LARGER moment arm.

And then you list these bodyweight movements as superior:
wfrobinette wrote:1 armed proper(legs together) form push up, 1 arm hand stand push up, standing to bridge to standing, 1 arm pull up, 1 leg squat and a hanging straight leg raise
Yet NONE of those are functional, natural movements, and all of them (except perhaps the straight leg raise) would put a lot more stress on my joints than traditional barbell movements loaded with a similar amount of resistance.

I'm not knocking bodyweight movements, just some of the reasons you claim they're superior to barbell movements. Properly executed, traditional barbell movements are anatomically sound.

[Edited to add the further point that...]

Bodyweight movements are particularly deficient for building lower-body strength. One-leg squats (aka "pistols") are not going to significantly increase the leg strength of anyone who isn't a novice. In fact, the movement is more of a skill requiring balance than a feat of strength. There are lots of people who can do 100 pistols, but can't even squat double their bodyweight. It's a circus trick, really. Anyway, there's no bodyweight movement that's going to significantly increase lower body strength the way weighted squats and deadlifts can. Probably the best you can do is to add some plyometrics and then do super-sets with no rest. Something like Vern Gambetta's leg circuits (e.g., 10 squats, 10 lunges, 10 jumping lunges, 5 jumping squats). But again, that's just going to be a bunch of eccentric pain that will (at best) increase muscular endurance.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

OP here. I am so satisfied to see BHs of all shapes, sizes, and ages responding to the pull-up and pushup challenge.

I'm 68 at this point, and agree with those who don't want to "lose" what they've worked so hard to achieve.

My general goal is 10 sets of 10 pull-ups and 10 pushups, along with either squats or wall-sits for legs and then 15 bicycles or crunches (with a light barbell behind my neck). I try to do this basic-four workout 3x week. It takes 30-45 minutes.

My pull-ups are shoulder wide pull-ups. (Chin-ups and neutral pull-ups work different sets of muscles.)

If I've just come back from a vacation where I did not get much or any chance to work out, or if I'm not feeling well, etc., I'll ramp back the number of reps to 10 sets of 5 or 6 or 7 and start the week there. Yesterday, for example, I did 10 sets of 7 and got through the workout successfully. (70 pull-ups is still 70 pull-ups.)

My words of wisdom for those who are starting out and can do just a few (or even one) pull-up: "If you can do one, you can do two. If you can do five, you can do six."

If you can't do any but want to, go back to the earlier posts and video links on how to turn "negative pull-ups" into positives.

Thank you to Lady Geek, the Queen of Pull-ups!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

wfrobinette wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
If you are using a bar for shoulder presses you are indeed making unnatural joint movements. Same goes for the bench press but to a lesser degree. Studies have shown time and time again that Bodyweight exercises don’t beat up your joints as much as traditional weight training exercises do. They allow for a more natural range of motion and improve your overall athleticism quite effectively. Again try those exercises I listed and tell me they don't provide plenty of resistance. How about an iron cross, Planche and variations.

Body weight exercises have progressions to increase resistance. Ever see a male gymnast? They certainly aren't lifting weights often if at all but have incredible strength.

What's more convenient and cost effective than ones body and a pull up bar. As far as the dead lift, i have no idea what I can do. Let's be real. Weights didn't come onto the scene until earl

For me its all about functional strength as I could care less about muscle mass.

To each their own.
I would love to see all these studies you reference. I'm an exercise physiologist by trade and a former professional strength coach, currently adjunct in the exercise physiology department of a major university along with my day job. I have not only seen male gymnasts, I have trained (with weights) many of them at the college level and been part of peer-reviewed studies where they were the participants. A deadlift (picking up a heavy object from the ground) is the literal definition of "functional strength" and many of the movements you mention are not only not functional, but put way more undue stress on your joints than basic compound movements. I have nothing against bodyweight exercises, they are the basis of most of my own training, but don't claim your opinions are evidence based fact.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Jazz (OP), 10 sets of 10 pulls-ups is impressive at any age (even 10/7). Let alone at 68 years young. Great job!! :beer
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I started weight lifting 7-8 weeks ago and went from a squat (3 sets of 10) of ~125 to 215 (last night), and my bench has gone from ~100 to 145. I may have started light, but my goal is proper form before heavy weights. My goal is to continue this simple weight lifting program (squats, bench, row, then squat, overhead press, deadlift), but I want to add pull-ups and push-ups.

My goal for the pull-ups is to be able to do 25 in a row, right now I'm probably at 0-1, as I'm ~40lb overweight and haven't done a pull up in a long time. (I have to go find the bar). I figure this one might take me a while.

My goal for the push-ups is to be able to do 40 in a row. Right now I'm at ~15. I would like to hit 40 by the end of summer, but we'll see how that goes.

This is the first time I've seriously lifted weights in about 10-12 years, so we'll see if I can make my goals.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

nordlead wrote:I started weight lifting 7-8 weeks ago and went from a squat (3 sets of 10) of ~125 to 215 (last night), and my bench has gone from ~100 to 145. I may have started light, but my goal is proper form before heavy weights. My goal is to continue this simple weight lifting program (squats, bench, row, then squat, overhead press, deadlift), but I want to add pull-ups and push-ups.

My goal for the pull-ups is to be able to do 25 in a row, right now I'm probably at 0-1, as I'm ~40lb overweight and haven't done a pull up in a long time. (I have to go find the bar). I figure this one might take me a while.

My goal for the push-ups is to be able to do 40 in a row. Right now I'm at ~15. I would like to hit 40 by the end of summer, but we'll see how that goes.

This is the first time I've seriously lifted weights in about 10-12 years, so we'll see if I can make my goals.
Nice progress! Keep it up.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

As Arnold always said "An hour and day in the gym is one hour less in the doctor's office".
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

nordlead wrote:I started weight lifting 7-8 weeks ago and went from a squat (3 sets of 10) of ~125 to 215 (last night), and my bench has gone from ~100 to 145. I may have started light, but my goal is proper form before heavy weights. My goal is to continue this simple weight lifting program (squats, bench, row, then squat, overhead press, deadlift), but I want to add pull-ups and push-ups.

If you are going to pull ups, I don't see as much value for the row lifting as they work the same muscles. Make sure you pull and push evenly. Many people work their chest way to much and skimp on the back. it''s a recipe for aches and pains because you get your body out of sync)

I'm not a fan of the overhead press unless you use dumbbells. (I've read over and over that straight bar overhead presses are an unnatural movement. I've been told I'm wrong on this though). I prefer hand stands and variations to work my shoulders.

There is a decent progression to get you to a correct form pull up. Do this once to twice a week max. You'll need to lose that weight to hit your goal.

For pull ups start with vertical pull. stand in a door way feet together grab the frame and straighten arms then pull your self in.

1x 10 then 2 x 20 then 3 x 40 (take 5 seconds per rep 1, 2 up pause 1 down 1,2.) Don't move to the 2x20 until you can do the 1 x 10 and so on. Spend at least 3 weeks to month on each progression. The idea is to not move to fast through a progression. The 5 second rep is extremely effective.

the Australian pull up(horizontal Pull up). Search Google for an image.

Get to 1 set of 1 x10 the 2 x 20 then 3x 20 ( I spent 3 months on this phase)

Then move to a jackknife pull up (once you get to vertical pulls do not use your legs to help)

1x10 then 2 x 15 then 3 x 20 (2 months here)

Then move to a half pull up (2 months here)

1 x 8 then 2 x 11 then 2 x 15

Then on to full pull ups

1 x 5 then 2 x 8 then 2 x10

If you want to go beyond you can try close handed full, then uneven pulls ups, 1/2 1 arm asisted 1 arm then to a 1 arm.

Push up (again use the 5 second rep and look up what proper form is)

wall push ups 1 x 10 2 x 25 3x 50
incline push up 1 x 10, 2x 20, 3 x40
Kneeling push up 1 x 10, 2 x 15, 3 x30
half push up(use a ball at you abs) 1x8, 2x12, 2x25
Full 1x 5, 2 x10, 2x 20
Go beyond with diamond(close push ups), uneven push ups, 1/2 1 arm , lever then 1 arm.

Do not forget your core.
Bridges(back) and leg lifts (abs). There are progressions as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's time for the second quarter review, progress reports are now due. I'm holding steady-state.

If anyone feels intimidated to post here because:

- It seems like everyone is doing better than I am, why try to compete?
- I can't even do one pull-up or sit-up
- I'll get stomped on if I can't match what the others are doing

is no excuse. This is not a competition, you are doing this for you and you alone. All that matters is that you try.

If you need assistance to get started, post here. We'll provide technique and moral support.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Gotta put in a plug for Iron Gym ( http://www.irongym.com/ ). I picked one up a few months back and it's really got me going on the pullups. It's cheap ( a bit over $20 online ) and convenient( use in a door frame. ). It is good for pushups and dips (not perfect but good enough ) as well.
easye418

Post by easye418 »

Nothing wrong with this workout, however, I couldn't go without heavy weights. I would get too skinny for my liking.

6' 180lb right now. I would drop at least to 170 within a short period of time.

I keep heavy weights pretty simple.

Bench press: 3 sets of 5: 185lb, 205lb,225lb.
Bicep Curls: 3 sets of 10: 32.5lb,35lb,37.5lb.
Tricep Pull downs: 3 sets of 10
Another Bicep and Tricep exercise.
Shoulder shrugs 3 sets of 15 with 45 lb weights
Abs
Leg press
Running

Can't express how important building triceps is in overall muscle definition.

I can still do about 4-5 sets of 10-15 pushups. Pull ups I could probably get 3 sets of 10.

Don't be discouraged about pull ups. They are rough.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Australian pull up
Most folks in the US call that a "row"

Never thought to suggest that as a way to build up to a pull up.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
praxis

Post by praxis »

We live in a cabin in the woods for 6 months each summer.
To stay in shape without the club we belong to in town in the winter, we stay active.

This summer, I've committed to add a 10 minute body weight workout each morning.
I found it in a Redbook magazine at the dentist's.
It's fast, because I set my timer for 60 seconds and don't pause between exercises.
Fast is important for me. I can't justify skipping this, because it's short, and it moves
through the exercises so quickly. It still tires each muscle if I push it.

1. jumping jacks
2. push-ups
3. forward lunges (touch floor)
4. plank jacks (prone, push up, jump feet apart and back)
5. V-presses (downward dog, bend arms, touch head, extend up)
6. squat jumps (palms on ground, back straight, spring up, arms high overhead)
7. skaters (jump back and forth far apart alternating between feet, swing arms)
8. dips (use a chair, extend one leg out)
9. airplanes (bend over at waist, lift one leg, arms straight out, hold balance, tight stomach)
10. side planks (up on one forearm, raise other arm straight up, hold legs straight)
I add barbell curls and pull-ups at the end.

This combo hits most muscle groups and keeps my heart rate up, works on flexibility too.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote:It's time for the second quarter review, progress reports are now due. I'm holding steady-state.

If anyone feels intimidated to post here because:

- It seems like everyone is doing better than I am, why try to compete?
- I can't even do one pull-up or sit-up
- I'll get stomped on if I can't match what the others are doing

is no excuse. This is not a competition, you are doing this for you and you alone. All that matters is that you try.

If you need assistance to get started, post here. We'll provide technique and moral support.
Hi LadyGeek,

You are speaking to me. My excuse is that I have recently done some extensive walking with a backpack and got into a great shape. But now that I am back at home and don't walk 20 kilometers daily, I have to resume pull-ups, push-ups and other good stuff discussed in this thread.

Thank you for the reminder and encouragement,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

I'm up to 120 push-ups but not all at once. I do a set of 50, 40 then 30. I do crunches between the push-ups.
For some reason I still can't do more than 4 pull-ups.
praxis

Post by praxis »

How to increase number of pull-ups:

face a chair toward you within reach of your toes
begin with both feet on the chair
practice pull-ups

as you improve, remove first one foot

the chair is your spotter
and you control the amount of your body weight
that your arms pull up.

modification: begin regular pull-ups
add a toe to get one more pull-up
add two to get another

improvement came pretty fast from this trick
I learned when we did P90X.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I use a Fitbit to help keep me active :happy
Today ,so far I have:
Walked 12,212 steps
climbed the equivalent of 101 flights of steps
Burned 1800 calories
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Here are some excellent techniques to strengthen and improve your ability to complete pull-ups:

1) Get wrist straps for a few dollars. This is a powerlifting and bodybuilding tool that just works. Your grips will ALWAYS fail before the powerful back muscles (biceps fail in between).

2) Forced Reps / Assistance - Have someone put their hands around your waist to help you complete a rep. This is huge in terms of strength and performance.

3) Chairs - If you do not have someone to help you (i.e. #2 above), put a chair below and only use the amount of assistance need to complete.

4) Pull downs - huge in terms of building strength to do pull-ups.

5) Grips - Try the reverse grip with pull-ups until strong enough to complete overhand.

6) Do not perform reverse with bar behind the head to neck. Places way to much stress on shoulders with no benefit to strength.

I learned this from competing and a powerlifting and bodybuilding back ground. I was 5'8" and 120 pounds and could not complete 1 pull-up. I moved to 6' 242 pound weight class with 75 pounds strapped around my waist on a chain to complete 5-6 pull-ups. When I did body weight only it felt to easy!

The above techniques work.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Found this thread via the Powerlifting thread. Any other Bogleheads still doing bodyweight fitness?

I have been doing Reddit's /r/bodyweightfitness Recommended Routine for close to a year now.

My progress:

All planks/holds i can hold for 60 seconds
I added the "Alphabet" to my bodyline section for abs, google it if needed

Dips - I am still in the first Support Hold Progressoin. Some days I can hold for 60 seconds straight but most days I hold for 30, take a ~5 second rest, and hold for 30 more. I use two tall chairs! I have a lot of trouble keeping a good breath while doing these.

Squats/Step ups - I vary which one I do, but these were always pretty easy for me as my legs are strong, it's my upper body that is very weak (female) - can easily do 8x3 and often do more

L-sit: I am still on the one leg supported progression, I cannot imagine myself ever doing a real L sit, just seems impossible. I also just noticed this is no longer on the recommended routine and was replaced with Skin the cat progression, will have to check that out.

Handstand: I am on the "wall handstand" progression and am still keeping one foot on the wall. I can see myself getting a real handstand someday but at present I am too frightened to push off the wall.

Pushups: this is where I've made a lot of progress. I am now doing incline pushups but am getting close to doing "real" ones

Rows: I just got rings recently and have them on my pullup bar, I can do incline rows and am working my way to horizontal ones.

Pull-up: I just got a bar a few weeks ago and am still just hanging on it for 15-30 seconds for now. I may try negatives soon. The first few weeks I was holding the bar incorrectly and got bad calluses, I googled this issue and found a lot of help and changed my grip. Unfortunately that grip is much weaker so I'm working that up first.

After nearly a year my arms are very noticeably more toned but my weight has held steady. I could probably be losing weight if I was more careful with my portions and went back on calorie counting. I notice I crave eggs, nuts, and olive oil more than I did before I started working out.
Last edited by Elsebet on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Count me in (again).

I've let my routine lapse, but I still have my pull-up bar hanging over the entrance to my hobby room. No pull-up, no entry. I'll also do a pull-up when leaving the room.

As for push-ups, I can do them. I haven't tried to see where my limit is, but this thread will give me incentive to keep going.

I'd like to emphasize that quantity doesn't matter, but effort does. Even if you can only do one (or no) pull-ups, just try your best. Emotional effort counts and will go a long way to keeping your head in the game.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

I have been doing Mark Lauren body weight training for 5+ years.

Monday push workout
5x 25 Feet elevated push up
5x 20 Military press
5x 20 Close grip push up
5x 35 Dips

Tuesday
60 Minutes cardio

Wednesday leg workout
3x 25 Bulgarian split squats on each leg (with 2 second hold)
3x 25 side lunges (with 2 second hold)
3x 25 Squat jumps (with 4 second hold)
3x 25 One-legged Romanian deadlift on each leg (with 2 second hold)

Thursday
60 Minutes cardio

Friday
5x 15 Pull-ups
5x 35 Squats
5x 25 Bicycles
with 10 minutes speed walk between above sets

Saturday
Rest (Gym is too busy on Saturdays)

Sunday
45 Minutes cardio
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As posted in Re: Older Women Lifting Weights, I was seriously considering moving to free weights. Due to my situation, that's simply not possible right now. So, I'm committed to do some serious workouts with body weight exercises.
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:17 pm Many thanks to several members for the detailed descriptions on "volume". Also, for insights on body weight.

After reviewing all of the helpful advice in this thread, along with some google research, I have a way to get myself restarted back into shape. Here's what I'm going to do:

The first step is to develop a workout plan. Without a plan, there's no way to track progress or understand what you're doing. (The workout version of the Investment policy statement).

Considerations:
  • Safety first. I don't have anyone spotting me, so weight lifting should be done in a gym. The risk of serious injury from body weight training is low.
  • Trainer. Lifting weights should be done under the guidance of a trainer. That also needs a gym.
  • I have a full-time day job. I don't have time to go to a gym.
  • I have a perfectly fine elliptical trainer. Don't ignore what I have simply because I want to change my workout style. Use it.
  • I have a pull-up bar hanging over my doorway. Use it.
  • I don't have any room for extra workout equipment (weights, racks, machines, etc.). My old "training room" was forked over to my husband as a "train room" (his model train hobby). I'm not getting it back, I tried.
Given the above, I've come to the realization that free weights are not going to happen at this point in time. I will reevaluate when my lifestyle changes (retirement...). For now, body weight fits my plan. Game on.

I found a website that aligns with what I'm looking for: Free Resources, from Nerd Fitness. Look at the "Free Workouts" section. (I'm ignoring the diet section.)

My plan is to use the Beginner Body Weight Workout and alternate strength training days with Interval Training.

My elliptical trainer is simply perfect for interval training. BTW, I've been doing interval training since the late 1970's. It's been around a very long time.

I'll follow the above plan for a few weeks and see how it goes. If the training starts to get easy, I'll switch to the Advanced Body Weight Workout.

My plan is in the form of a spreadsheet. It might need a few tweaks at the start, but I'll try to follow it. (It will be modified when I'm ready to change my techniques.)

In case anyone is interested in my age: I just qualified to withdraw from an IRA without penalty.
I just complete my first workout. The total time was 30 minutes.

Having a checklist in front of you (my spreadsheet) is critical to ensuring that you follow the plan. Not doing so was a big mistake for me, as I had no idea that my earlier "informal ad-hoc" workouts seemed to be ineffective. I have more to work on than I thought. :shock:

On the positive side, I can hold planks for 1 minute.

I'll get there, I just need to work through it. The largest impediment is mental. As long as I can keep my head in the game, I will improve.