Pull-ups and Push-ups

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 am

Last year I gave up using weights, and now only do Bodyweight exercises.

My home workout is simple:
1. Pull (pull-ups)
2. Push (push-ups)
3. Core (planks; hanging knee or leg lifts)
4. Legs (squats/lunges)

I currently do 5-10 sets of 10 each, with a minute rest between each set. Total workout = 30 minutes.

I don't miss the dumbbells or the gym. By the time my wife has gotten to the YMCA and started her class, I'm finished with my workout!

Anyone else out there who likes Bodyweight exercises?

(PS--I get respect from the weight-lifters when I meet them--they like a guy in his 60s who can do 100 pull-ups in 30 minutes.)
Last edited by Jazztonight on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by steve roy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:23 am

It's bar dips, pushups, situps and weight machines for me. Had to give up chinning myself as I got over-enthusiastic about it, and damaged my left rotator cuff.

Apparently when you do too much of something or other, your body lets you know. I have found this to be a basic truth over and over again.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:42 am

steve roy wrote:It's bar dips, pushups, situps and weight machines for me. Had to give up chinning myself as I got over-enthusiastic about it, and damaged my left rotator cuff.

Apparently when you do too much of something or other, your body lets you know. I have found this to be a basic truth over and over again.
Agreed! I had a similar experience with dumbbell flys, and gave up the weights. But haven't had a problem with the Bodyweight exercises.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

obgraham
Posts: 1140
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by obgraham » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 am

Heavens! I thought this thread was about Lingerie!

Evolence
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: New England

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Evolence » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:07 am

Exercise is one of those things that I should probably make a point to do. The problem is-- I really don't like to sweat. Nor do I particularly enjoy exercise. In fact, you could say that I dislike it. And since I'm not much of a masochist, I tend to not engage in activities that I don't enjoy. I'll die young probably as a result. Oh well.

MoonOrb
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:52 am

I herniated a disk in my back this summer and all but gave up working with weights in favor of bodyweight exercises: pullups, planks, pushups, and dips are where it's at for me right now.

User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by ray.james » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 am

Jazztonight

Any particular articles you recommend for a beginner? I would be really interested in these routines. I started doing mild cardio and made some good progress over last 3 months. Now want to add weights, but this is really appealing to me to use body weight at home for few minutes everyday and then decide to notch up at gym or just at home with tougher routines. Thank you.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

traineeinvestor
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:52 am
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by traineeinvestor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:33 am

I only do weights once a week (maybe twice every now and then), but it is amazing how much you can get out of a bodyweight only routine.

Here's a book which I found helpful: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own- ... 0345528581

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 am

traineeinvestor wrote:I only do weights once a week (maybe twice every now and then), but it is amazing how much you can get out of a bodyweight only routine.

Here's a book which I found helpful: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own- ... 0345528581
I've read "you are you're own gym" and enjoyed it and learned from it. The other cult book out there is "Convict Conditioning."

For me, this has been a six year quest to find "my workout." What works for me won't necessarily work for the next person. I use the concept of HIIT (high intensity interval training), but cranked it down a notch or two. I use the Tabata Pro timer on my ipad, and it's like having a person trainer in the room:"Work! Rest! Work! Rest!"

Once I push the button, I know for the next 30 minutes that's what I'll be doing. My workout music is preprogrammed into the device.

The most important thing IMHO is to set limits, know what is Enough (sound familiar?), and not need to be built like Arnold.

If you push too hard, you will injure yourself for sure. Need I say that diet is crucial?
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:48 am

I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:51 am

I haven't used weights in years and years. I have worked my way up to one pull-up nowadays. I don't think I can make it to two though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18597
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 am

stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:58 am

VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

Yes they really do. There are many different ways to apply the exercises. I found a really good ten minute routine on You Tube that is one of the best ones for a short isometric workout. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... XU3JAEvrbQ

And if you are really short for time this one is only 90 seconds but it is just when you really were not going to workout so it is the something is better then nothing approach. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA78Dtu2-q4

Finally, I love the Bullworker which is the ancient exercise gimmick that most kids in the 70s used. The kicker is that it really does work. I have been using the Bullworker on and off for 40 years. With Isometrics, you can do several different routines and it is better for older people who tend to injure themselves with more joint jarring movements.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
SpringMan
Posts: 5361
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by SpringMan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:07 am

VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
Yes, they can work. I have been dealing with left leg pain from problems in my lower back (L4,L5,S1). In lay mans terms it is called a pinched nerve. Doctor recommended physical therapy three times a week. They gave me several isometric exercises to strengthen my core and my back, both as homework and at the therapy sessions. After about three weeks my back caused leg pain issue got much better.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

User avatar
Sammy_M
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:30 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Sammy_M » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:27 am

Jazztonight wrote: My home workout is simple:
1. Pull (pull-ups)
2. Push (push-ups)
3. Core (hanging knee or leg lifts)
4. Legs (squats/lunges)

I currently do 10 sets of 8 each, with a minute rest between each set. Total workout = 30 minutes.
Sounds a lot like "Angie." http://www.mensfitness.com/training/end ... -wod-angie
Agree, you don't need weights for 1-3. However, I think it is hard to build strength with #4, but it is good for the heart! Sprints are a great option for lower body work - and they really require the whole body to work together.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18597
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 am

stemikger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

Yes they really do. There are many different ways to apply the exercises. I found a really good ten minute routine on You Tube that is one of the best ones for a short isometric workout. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... XU3JAEvrbQ

And if you are really short for time this one is only 90 seconds but it is just when you really were not going to workout so it is the something is better then nothing approach. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA78Dtu2-q4

Finally, I love the Bullworker which is the ancient exercise gimmick that most kids in the 70s used. The kicker is that it really does work. I have been using the Bullworker on and off for 40 years. With Isometrics, you can do several different routines and it is better for older people who tend to injure themselves with more joint jarring movements.
Hi Stemikger,

Thank you very much. I've tried the Youtube videos and they seem to produce nice results. I also looked up Bullworkers on Amazon.com. Classic Full-size Bullworker seems to be indicated to those over 5'6". For those shorter than that, someone has recommended Steel Bow Bullworker. Which one are you using? Are Bullworkers really height appropriate?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

simpsonlang
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by simpsonlang » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:21 am

In the Marines pullups are king. So when I was bored on ship I would spent hours doing pullups, pushups, and situps. Not much else room to do anything else. I would do the max for each I could do, rest a minute or so in between and repeat until I was either wore out or 2 hours past. I once did 120 pushups in under 2 minutes and could do 30 dead hang pullups. One thing I'll mention is if you do the pullups with the palms facing away you will use more of your back than your arms and can do far more pullups once that muscle group is trained. I also liked doing 8 count body builders as they will wear you out fast. Nowadays I don't workout much but will run a few miles every couple months just to see if I can. Limiting how much you eat and cutting out the really bad stuff will have a much greater impact on your health than doing lots of exercising.

wormtail
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by wormtail » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:58 am

My strength workup is modified pushups (on knees, I can do more with better form), bicycles which is a form of situp with rotation and leg movement, and modified pullups. I got the idea for modified pullups from the P90X which I never bought the videos but is a series of workouts with a lot of pushups and pullups. I have a pullup bar suspended by 8 inch eyebolts from my toolroom ceiling joists. You stand on a stool or ladder which is placed about 18 inches forward of the bar. When you are standing on the stool your chin is at bar height. Then lean back and do most of the pullup with the upper body and dead legs. This way I can do 2 sets of 35. Before I started doing this a few years ago I had weak thoracic back which leads to muscle imbalance and pain.

This workout a few times a week, 10 minutes of daily yoga stretching, and a few dumbbell exercises for rotator cuff health is a very solid full body workout to supplement my other outdoor sports.

Search on youtube for modified pullup and you will get the idea.

wormtail

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:03 am

VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

Yes they really do. There are many different ways to apply the exercises. I found a really good ten minute routine on You Tube that is one of the best ones for a short isometric workout. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... XU3JAEvrbQ

And if you are really short for time this one is only 90 seconds but it is just when you really were not going to workout so it is the something is better then nothing approach. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA78Dtu2-q4

Finally, I love the Bullworker which is the ancient exercise gimmick that most kids in the 70s used. The kicker is that it really does work. I have been using the Bullworker on and off for 40 years. With Isometrics, you can do several different routines and it is better for older people who tend to injure themselves with more joint jarring movements.
Hi Stemikger,

Thank you very much. I've tried the Youtube videos and they seem to produce nice results. I also looked up Bullworkers on Amazon.com. Classic Full-size Bullworker seems to be indicated to those over 5'6". For those shorter than that, someone has recommended Steel Bow Bullworker. Which one are you using? Are Bullworkers really height appropriate?

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

I'm 49 years old and I bought my Bullworker when I was 17. Back then they did not have different sizes depending on what height you were. Truthfully though, I can only think of two exercises that might be a little easier if the bar was shorter but I don't think it would really matter much. I'm 5'6 and I never had any issues with the length of the bar. I would think you can do all the exercises on the chart without any problems and the ones where you can barley squeeze the bar can be substituted with an easier exercise for that body part (where you would just repeat it twice).

After all these years I found with Isometrics you don't need to work out very long to get great results. When working out with the Bullworker 60 to 70% of your strength is all that is needed when performing the exercises. I Look at it as the balanced fund of the exercise world. Many people I know that workout think I spend a long time working out with weights, but it's just isometrics for me and for cardio I do about 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill or just walk outside. I like my exercise routine to be like my investments. Simplicity is best!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18597
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 am

stemikger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
stemikger wrote:I just started doing isometrics. I have been doing them on and off throughout the years. My entire workout is 10 to 15 minutes and I'm done. I also like to walk on my treadmill while I'm watching television. That's it for me. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit and look good.
Do isometrics really work? I like the concept but it seems too easy to be effective.

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

Yes they really do. There are many different ways to apply the exercises. I found a really good ten minute routine on You Tube that is one of the best ones for a short isometric workout. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... XU3JAEvrbQ

And if you are really short for time this one is only 90 seconds but it is just when you really were not going to workout so it is the something is better then nothing approach. Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA78Dtu2-q4

Finally, I love the Bullworker which is the ancient exercise gimmick that most kids in the 70s used. The kicker is that it really does work. I have been using the Bullworker on and off for 40 years. With Isometrics, you can do several different routines and it is better for older people who tend to injure themselves with more joint jarring movements.
Hi Stemikger,

Thank you very much. I've tried the Youtube videos and they seem to produce nice results. I also looked up Bullworkers on Amazon.com. Classic Full-size Bullworker seems to be indicated to those over 5'6". For those shorter than that, someone has recommended Steel Bow Bullworker. Which one are you using? Are Bullworkers really height appropriate?

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

I'm 49 years old and I bought my Bullworker when I was 17. Back then they did not have different sizes depending on what height you were. Truthfully though, I can only think of two exercises that might be a little easier if the bar was shorter but I don't think it would really matter much. I'm 5'6 and I never had any issues with the length of the bar. I would think you can do all the exercises on the chart without any problems and the ones where you can barley squeeze the bar can be substituted with an easier exercise for that body part (where you would just repeat it twice).

After all these years I found with Isometrics you don't need to work out very long to get great results. When working out with the Bullworker 60 to 70% of your strength is all that is needed when performing the exercises. I Look at it as the balanced fund of the exercise world. Many people I know that workout think I spend a long time working out with weights, but it's just isometrics for me and for cardio I do about 20 to 30 minutes on a treadmill or just walk outside. I like my exercise routine to be like my investments. Simplicity is best!!
Hi Stemikger,

I will try the videos for a couple weeks and then will probably buy a Bullworker. Thanks again,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
gatorking
Posts: 1103
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm
Location: Burlington MA

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by gatorking » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 am

Search for "simplefit" on the forum. Here is one discussion on body weight exercises:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1314680957

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 am

livesoft wrote:I haven't used weights in years and years. I have worked my way up to one pull-up nowadays. I don't think I can make it to two though.
Hi Livesoft.
Since you've given me so many great financial insights and comments through the years via your posts, I'd like to return the favor!

One must be motivated, of course, but if a person (male or female) really wants to do pull-ups, here's how I did it, by following the recommendations in this video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3AmFKHXaz8 ... AmFKHXaz8A

You use the concept of "negative" pull-ups--letting yourself down instead of pulling yourself up; then you gradually substitute "positive" pull-ups for "negatives." I started by being able to do 1/2 of a pull-up. In less than 6 months, I could do ten in a row. We're talking pull-ups, which means palms facing away from you (this uses your back, shoulder, and arm muscles). If your palms are facing in toward you, most people call those chin-ups, and they utilize your biceps more.

There are variations of pull-ups, push-ups, and hanging leg raises, each of which isolate or use different body areas. For example, if your hands are placed close together on the pull-up bar or the floor, you'll be exercising some different or additional muscle groups. But it's all Bodyweight training.

And yes, squats or lunges without holding weights doesn't give you the same "burn." But I choose not to put more burden on my knees.

My DW told me that in a recent gym class, the instructor did a routine of going from a standing position and getting down and lying on the mat, then getting up again, repeatedly, just to improve one's ability to get up off the floor. This was a great idea. I think about a lot of people I've met whom I doubt could get up off the floor if they somehow found themselves there.

You gotta keep moving.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
ObliviousInvestor
Posts: 3392
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 am
Contact:

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:39 am

Jazztonight wrote:Anyone else out there who likes Bodyweight exercises?
Yes! Though I still have to go to the gym to do them.
Mike Piper, author/blogger

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48533
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:46 am

I didn't realize that the a "pull-up" was different than a "chin-up". I've always swapped palm positions to even out the workload and never realized they were named differently.

My chin-up bar is hanging between a doorway entrance. This is a highly convenient location, as I often do a rep or 2 when I go into the room.

Now, for push-ups...

I've always been able to do the "proper" form. My max reps range between 12 and 17 - it depends on my fatigue level.

To complete the picture, I get my aerobics with an elliptical trainer.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SmallSaver
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by SmallSaver » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:58 am

I get that philosophically the jump from no gear to one piece of gear is a big one, but with a single kettlebell and a couple of good videos you can get a pretty great strength & fitness workout at home. Easy to adjust to personal style by using a lighter kettlebell and focusing on aerobics.

countofmc
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by countofmc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:59 am

I like working out at home once in a while, doing mostly body weight workouts. My main problem is working my back - those removable doorway pull up bars don't work very well with the doorways in my apt, and since I'm a renter I can't drill in a pull up bar either. And if I am going to go to the local park to do pull ups on the monkey bars, might as well hit the gym.

Other than that, I do push-ups, dips using a chair, body weight squats and lunges. I also have a 10lb medicine ball I use for random exercises as well.

This is is more the exception than the rule, I try to get to the gym for the majority of my workouts.

countofmc
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by countofmc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Evolence wrote:Exercise is one of those things that I should probably make a point to do. The problem is-- I really don't like to sweat. Nor do I particularly enjoy exercise. In fact, you could say that I dislike it. And since I'm not much of a masochist, I tend to not engage in activities that I don't enjoy. I'll die young probably as a result. Oh well.
I think the key is keeping your stress levels low, and exercise helps with that. I don't think you need to do P90X to get the benefits, seems like a brisk 30 minute walk 3-4 times a week may be enough.

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by snyder66 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Does that Bullworker really work? It's got QVC written all over it...

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 pm

snyder66 wrote:Does that Bullworker really work? It's got QVC written all over it...
Yes and I agree with you about the QVC thing. It was a big mail order item in the early 70s but all it is is a way to do Isometric exercises which were introduced by Charles Atlas and I believe he called them Dynamic Tension or something like that. The Bullworker seems to be very big in the UK, but not in the United States any longer.

Isometrics have been around since the 40s and the Bullworker I believe since the early 70s late 60s. I am living proof that you can maintain what you have by using them and even build muscle. I am 49 and many people think I still spend a lot of time lifting weights.

There have been many studies about Isometrics some pros and some cons, but when you have been doing something as long as I have, and you clearly see and feel the results, that is the ultimate proof. Bruce Lee was a very big fan of Isometrics and so are many martial arts professionals. It is a very satisfying way of putting in a short workout without hurting yourself but still getting a good core and upper body workout.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4910
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by stemikger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:53 pm

countofmc wrote:
Evolence wrote:Exercise is one of those things that I should probably make a point to do. The problem is-- I really don't like to sweat. Nor do I particularly enjoy exercise. In fact, you could say that I dislike it. And since I'm not much of a masochist, I tend to not engage in activities that I don't enjoy. I'll die young probably as a result. Oh well.
I think the key is keeping your stress levels low, and exercise helps with that. I don't think you need to do P90X to get the benefits, seems like a brisk 30 minute walk 3-4 times a week may be enough.
I 100% agree. Every so many years, the exercise industry promotes their popular fads, but I believe the latest fads like P90X and all these boot camp extreme workouts are not good. My wife is doing P90X and seems to be enjoying it, but when something takes that long and is that intense it is impossible to become a lifestyle. Very few can do that.

Last year I read an article about all these extreme workouts like P90X and all the pros agreed saying the better way to go is to do something that you enjoy and even walking 30 minutes a day has great benefits and is more realistic doing throughout your lifetime. All the people I know that did P90X get so into it, but none of them make it a lifestyle.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Colorado13
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:04 pm

This morning in boot camp we did pushups across the gym. Do a pushup, move your arms and legs to the right or left about one shoulder width (or about 12 inches), do another pushup, move arms/legs another 12 inches, do another pushup. Repeat for maximum fun. (You wouldn't need much space if you went left, then right, rather than across a room.) I like doing variations of pushups: feet on a bosu, arms on bosu, arms and feet on foam rollers, one leg elevated... These never/rarely hurt my shoulder but bench press does aggravate my shoulder.

Every now and then we'll have to put both feet on gliders and use our arms to walk across (and also backwards across) the gym in plank position. It's a great upper body/core exercise but if you do it at home, you'll need a smooth floor so that the gliders can actually glide.

I like doing pullups. Yes, I am that weird (or so I have been told...) ha

Colorado13
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:17 pm

stemikger wrote:[... but I believe the latest fads like P90X and all these boot camp extreme workouts are not good. My wife is doing P90X and seems to be enjoying it, but when something takes that long and is that intense it is impossible to become a lifestyle. Very few can do that.
I have a different perspective. Boot camp (at the gym, not a video) is a great workout that I've been doing for years--it is part of my lifestyle. It's never the same workout twice in a row, so my muscles are always challenged. Interval training, which is the type of boot camp I do, is much more effective than either straight cardo or straight weight lifting (I can post sources if that would be helpful.) But it's not for everyone and the so-called fitness experts will cite research that exercise plan ABC is the best for you, then two years later plan XYZ is better. It depends on your goals too - my goals include explosive power/speed and strength, not running a marathon for example, so boot camp is great for me but may be a poor use of time/effort for a marathoner. There's no one size fits all...

Walking 30 minutes a day is great...I just returned from a walk to enjoy the beautiful fall weather. I can't imagine that one person I passed had his/her heart rate up enough for the walk to be anything other than a stroll, which is fine, but it's not a cardiovascular workout and doesn't do much for muscle mass. "...from about the age of 45, the average person loses muscle mass at the rate of approximately 1 percent per year, rising to 1 percent to 2 percent from the age of 50. By 70, a healthy person has 20 percent less muscle mass than they had at 36, according to Science News. http://www.livestrong.com/article/28981 ... z2jWtp28CD (I'm not quite sure how they can label that as a "healthy person" however. It seems very unhealthy to me, but maybe a better phrase would be a "typical person has 20% less...")

User avatar
bish0p
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by bish0p » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Jazztonight wrote:Last year I gave up using weights, and now only do Bodyweight exercises.

My home workout is simple:
1. Pull (pull-ups)
2. Push (push-ups)
3. Core (hanging knee or leg lifts)
4. Legs (squats/lunges)

I currently do 10 sets of 8 each, with a minute rest between each set. Total workout = 30 minutes.

I don't miss the dumbbells or the gym. By the time my wife has gotten to the YMCA and started her class, I'm finished with my workout!

Anyone else out there who likes Bodyweight exercises?

(PS--I get respect from the weight-lifters when I meet them--they like a guy in his 60s who can do 80 pull-ups in 30 minutes.)
I love doing bodyweight and core exercise. An exercise I like to do combines a push up burpee, then jumping up and performing a pull up - that counts as one rep. Do ten of those. It feels good.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Rodc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:11 pm

steve roy wrote:It's bar dips, pushups, situps and weight machines for me. Had to give up chinning myself as I got over-enthusiastic about it, and damaged my left rotator cuff.

Apparently when you do too much of something or other, your body lets you know.
I have found this to be a basic truth over and over again.
Bold added. Ain't that the truth.

Over the last couple of years I moved to body weight after hurting my right shoulder working too hard and listening to my body too little while doing bench presses.

Doing body weight I was doing 100 each of pullups, dips, push ups, sit ups, and full squat-to-jumps every couple of days. I would do one each, two each, up to 10 each then back down for a total of 100 each. Plus stairmaster sprints to finish. Off days was longer steady stairmaster or run depending on the weather. Plus twice a week in the climbing gym.

Unfortunate after a year of that my right shoulder became unhappy and I had to scale back; reactivated the earlier injury I think. Still not fully healed after a few months but slowly getting better.

Now I have been doing the Body by Science workout once a week for strength, plus some extra core work, and stairmaster and running. I take a day off after lifting and try to work more rest days into the week (say by taking a nice walk rather than running) Starting back into the climbing gym once a week.

Will have to see how it goes.

I'd complain about the issue being doing too much for a 56 year old, but this is a lesson I have learned many times starting 35 years ago or so.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
livesoft wrote:I haven't used weights in years and years. I have worked my way up to one pull-up nowadays. I don't think I can make it to two though.
Hi Livesoft.
Since you've given me so many great financial insights and comments through the years via your posts, I'd like to return the favor!

One must be motivated, of course, but if a person (male or female) really wants to do pull-ups, here's how I did it, by following the recommendations in this video:
Thanks! I am motivated, but also patient. I have a bar set up for these that I use daily. I have worked my way up to 1 chin-up (not a pull-up). I have not recovered 100% yet from a couple of fractures that required surgeries, but give me a few years and maybe I'll be able to increase my upper body strength eventually.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 pm

livesoft wrote:
Jazztonight wrote:
livesoft wrote:I haven't used weights in years and years. I have worked my way up to one pull-up nowadays. I don't think I can make it to two though.
Hi Livesoft.
Since you've given me so many great financial insights and comments through the years via your posts, I'd like to return the favor!

One must be motivated, of course, but if a person (male or female) really wants to do pull-ups, here's how I did it, by following the recommendations in this video:
Thanks! I am motivated, but also patient. I have a bar set up for these that I use daily. I have worked my way up to 1 chin-up (not a pull-up). I have not recovered 100% yet from a couple of fractures that required surgeries, but give me a few years and maybe I'll be able to increase my upper body strength eventually.
Give the "negative" pull-ups or chin ups a try. I'd be curious to see your response. The secret is to go slow, be patient, don't push too hard. A 67 year old friend of mine had an accident on his motorcycle, and after arm surgery recovered well enough to resume his workouts, including pull-ups. Good luck!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I didn't realize that the a "pull-up" was different than a "chin-up". I've always swapped palm positions to even out the workload and never realized they were named differently.

My chin-up bar is hanging between a doorway entrance. This is a highly convenient location, as I often do a rep or 2 when I go into the room.

Now, for push-ups...

I've always been able to do the "proper" form. My max reps range between 12 and 17 - it depends on my fatigue level.

To complete the picture, I get my aerobics with an elliptical trainer.
Lady Geek,
You were always my hero, and now more so!

A blog in the NY Times about how and why women cannot do pull-ups created a storm of controversy and angry response a while back from women like yourself who CAN do them.

And yes, palms facing away from you--a pull-up, is considered the more difficult of the two. I also do both, as well as close-grip pull-ups.

I get the distinct impression you are quite fit!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:12 pm

bish0p wrote: I love doing bodyweight and core exercise. An exercise I like to do combines a push up burpee, then jumping up and performing a pull up - that counts as one rep. Do ten of those. It feels good.
Burpees are a great exercise!

For those not familiar with the term, it's what we used to call a "squat thrust," but when you're in the prone position, you do a push-up. Some people do their Burpees with just a "jump" at the end of each cycle, but a pull-up to end each rep demonstrates extreme fitness!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48533
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Jazztonight wrote:Lady Geek,
You were always my hero, and now more so!

A blog in the NY Times about how and why women cannot do pull-ups created a storm of controversy and angry response a while back from women like yourself who CAN do them.

And yes, palms facing away from you--a pull-up, is considered the more difficult of the two. I also do both, as well as close-grip pull-ups.

I get the distinct impression you are quite fit!
Thanks!

Actually, that's a good lead-in for my alternative method: Combine push/pull -ups with some ab work.

While performing a push / pull - up, raise your legs until they are horizontal with the floor (keep the legs straight so that the heels point towards the wall.). Since females have a lower center of gravity than males, this is a lot harder for me than you. :P
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Copernicus
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Copernicus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Anyone else out there who likes Bodyweight exercises?

(PS--I get respect from the weight-lifters when I meet them--they like a guy in his 60s who can do 80 pull-ups in 30 minutes.)
+1
Ditto ...for three decades by now, except I don't do bar pull-ups.!

But I supplement those exercises with a simple exercise that tone up the endocrine system, the engine behind all the hormones and important biochemicals that regulate the body. ....... 12 of these in the morning -
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice ... tation.asp

If you properly 'fold' the body at every joint during this exercise, I know of no other exercise regimen; weights, aerobic or isometric that achieves the same results! .

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Jazztonight wrote:.... Give the "negative" pull-ups or chin ups a try. I'd be curious to see your response.
Doing negative chin-ups was how I was able to build up the strength to do a single chin-up. So you are preaching to the choir. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Jazztonight
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:21 am
Location: Lake Merritt

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Jazztonight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Copernicus wrote: +1
Ditto ...for three decades by now, except I don't do bar pull-ups.!

But I supplement those exercises with a simple exercise that tone up the endocrine system, the engine behind all the hormones and important biochemicals that regulate the body. ....... 12 of these in the morning -
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice ... tation.asp

If you properly 'fold' the body at every joint during this exercise, I know of no other exercise regimen; weights, aerobic or isometric that achieves the same results! .
Yes, sun salutations. I have heard of these, Master.

I admire anyone who has the incredible flexibility to do them.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

BW1985
Posts: 1763
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by BW1985 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Muscle ups are my new exercise of choice, it combines a pull up & a dip. Killer workout.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Greentree
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by Greentree » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 am

Those are all good.

If you are looking for some more variety, google "crossfit body weight workouts". The only thin to know is that the crossfit pull up is about half the effort of a regular pullup because it uses a kip. So cut those in half or so.

Jump rope, burpies, toes to bar, all good stuff.

david99
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by david99 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:16 am

Body weight exercises are great -- especially if you have a bad back like I do. I started out using the pull-up assist machine at the gym a few years ago and now I can do 10 or eleven pull-ups without any help. The body weight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups and dips) strengthened my upper body so I don't throw my back out anymore and I've started using some free weights in my routine. I couldn't use free weights when I joined the gym four years ago because of my back.

User avatar
max12377
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by max12377 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:32 am

I am 47 and I do pretty much the same thing.. bodyweight exercises via P90x. I love it (I'm not affiilated in any way with the program btw.. I just like the way it got me out of going to the gym.) I wake up in the morning and go to the garage. Simple and saves time. The difference between P90x and your program though is that P90x has yoga, ab work, and stretching incorporated as well. I NEVER used to stretch. Was a complete gym rat and just focused on size. I got injured .. a lot. A walking Stiff. Lol

Now I focus on energy. I have a desk job so I don't need to bench 300, squat 400, etc.. Nor do I want the extra bulk on my frame. Lean and mean is my focus.

I would only add that I feel the stretching/yoga/ab work would be components you may want to also consider. No equipment needed. The stretching, yoga, and ab work have improved my posture and just about eliminated my lower back issues.

In summary I'm a total convert to bodyweight exercises. "You are your own gym" is another excellent resource on the topic.

david99
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by david99 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 am

max12377 wrote:I am 47 and I do pretty much the same thing.. bodyweight exercises via P90x. I love it (I'm not affiilated in any way with the program btw.. I just like the way it got me out of going to the gym.) I wake up in the morning and go to the garage. Simple and saves time. The difference between P90x and your program though is that P90x has yoga, ab work, and stretching incorporated as well. I NEVER used to stretch. Was a complete gym rat and just focused on size. I got injured .. a lot. A walking Stiff. Lol

Now I focus on energy. I have a desk job so I don't need to bench 300, squat 400, etc.. Nor do I want the extra bulk on my frame. Lean and mean is my focus.

I would only add that I feel the stretching/yoga/ab work would be components you may want to also consider. No equipment needed. The stretching, yoga, and ab work have improved my posture and just about eliminated my lower back issues.

In summary I'm a total convert to bodyweight exercises. "You are your own gym" is another excellent resource on the topic.

I agree ---- yoga and stretching are great for the back. I also have a desk job and the yoga is great after sitting all day. There is a good youtube video called Sixty Minutes Yin Yoga for the Spine.

lightheir
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by lightheir » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 am

LadyGeek wrote:I didn't realize that the a "pull-up" was different than a "chin-up". I've always swapped palm positions to even out the workload and never realized they were named differently.

My chin-up bar is hanging between a doorway entrance. This is a highly convenient location, as I often do a rep or 2 when I go into the room.

Now, for push-ups...

I've always been able to do the "proper" form. My max reps range between 12 and 17 - it depends on my fatigue level.

To complete the picture, I get my aerobics with an elliptical trainer.
Wow I'm seriously impressed - 12-17 consecutive pullups for a female (or male, even) is no joke!

I think the womens high school standard in gym class when I was in high school was barely 1, and for men it was like 2-3.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 48533
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:33 am

^^ Thanks, but that's for push-ups. Pull-ups are a little more challenging. I could probably do 10 consecutive when I'm in shape, but I've slacked off. I'm down to about 3-5 consecutive and cheat on the rest. Correction in process...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

csage
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Pull-ups and Push-ups

Post by csage » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 am

Sammy_M wrote:
Jazztonight wrote: My home workout is simple:
1. Pull (pull-ups)
2. Push (push-ups)
3. Core (hanging knee or leg lifts)
4. Legs (squats/lunges)

I currently do 10 sets of 8 each, with a minute rest between each set. Total workout = 30 minutes.
Sounds a lot like "Angie." http://www.mensfitness.com/training/end ... -wod-angie
Agree, you don't need weights for 1-3. However, I think it is hard to build strength with #4, but it is good for the heart! Sprints are a great option for lower body work - and they really require the whole body to work together.
I do a very similar workout - great for hotel rooms. To add more resistance on #4, try "One legged squats." Takes a bit of practice but they work well. If you don't have a pullup bar, there are also a few alternatives. I like dumbbell rows, using my luggage, or try inverted rows under a desk.

Post Reply