Men's Leather Belt: Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thesofine

Men's Leather Belt: Recommendations?

Post by thesofine »

So . . .does anyone have any strong preferences for leather belts? I am a lowly government servant in DC, so I have to wear suits to work. I'd like a belt that looks professional and will last for a very, very long time.

George Banks: Yes, sir, I think I do. As the ship lay in Boston Harbor, a party of the colonists dressed as red Indians boarded the vessel, behaved very rudely, and threw all the tea overboard, making the tea unsuitable for drinking. [jokingly] Even for Americans.
mlipps

Re: Recommendations for Men's Leahter Belt?

Post by mlipps »

Saddleback Leather has a 100 year guarantee. I haven't purchase anything yet but have read excellent reviews and plan to get DH a wallet from there for Christmas.
Rager1

Re: Men's Leather Belt: Recommendations?

Post by Rager1 »

I recommend the Mission Belt Company. I have two and absolutely love them. The Mission belt is adjustable with no pre-set holes.

http://missionbelt.com/

Ed
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Dockers and Fossil make no frills leather belts. They will last forever although the leather stretches out after a decade or so. Nothing fancy. Classic. No stitching. No braiding. Keep it simple.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I stumbled upon Hugo Boss basic dress belts a year or two ago and have bought two (brown and black). The Michigan Ave. store's full retail price of $85 each wasn't cheap but they do seem to be holding up extremely well with no visible signs of leather wear. I've never seen that in a belt before - the leather finish stays perfect where you buckle it - but I come from a cheap belt past.

Extremely good leather quality, understated modern look without getting trendy - check them out.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Picked up one at Men's Wearhouse for $20 or so five years ago. Still looks great and is going strong.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
galectin

Post by galectin »

Plain black belt.

$5 at Big Lots last time I was there.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

If you're a member, Costco often has two packs of very good quality leather belts. I have 2 of them and they have been excellent.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Also a belt makes a good gift for birthdays, Fathers day and Christmas, so be sure to ask for a belt if people want ideas for gifts to you.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

livesoft wrote:Also a belt makes a good gift for birthdays, Fathers day and Christmas, so be sure to ask for a belt if people want ideas for gifts to you.
That's three belts a year, so you only have to get an average of 4 months out of each one. Now if you are married and have parents and parents-in-law, that makes nine belts a year. Have one kid, and you will get twelve a year, each needing to last only one month. (Without a kid, you won't get that many Father's Day presents, but you can always pretend you are going to have one.)

P.S. If they aren't cheap, you can get two from each on each occasion or twenty-four belts a year.
Last edited by sscritic on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^Once you get a belt you like, it is best to ask for socks and underwear unless you need a tie or a wallet.
JCom

Post by JCom »

I say splurge and get Allen Edmond shoes and a matching belt. I have both black and brown. I shouldn't have to buy either for a long time and they really pull the suit look together.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

After going through three JC Penney's belts in three months (not cheap ones, either), I have found that Dickies' belts that I bought at Walmart do very well in the durability department. Whether they are "formal enough" is a different issue bit I do wear them with my suits.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

jlawrence01 wrote:After going through three JC Penney's belts in three months (not cheap ones, either), I have found that Dickies' belts that I bought at Walmart do very well in the durability department. Whether they are "formal enough" is a different issue bit I do wear them with my suits.
I bought a belt at Dillard's, paid $47 and it lasted 6 months and then broke. I tried to return it for another, no dice. So, I'll never walk into that store again. My daughter recommended the Dickies' belt from Walmart. I bought one and it made it through an entire year before requiring replacement. I paid $10.60 for it, including tax, a good value.
gatorman
smiley

Post by smiley »

LL Bean belts have lasted me 5 years+ with daily wear.
Although not cheap at $40-50, they do stand by their 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

:happy
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/502855
The LL Bean prices and guarantee should work for you.
smiley

Post by smiley »

gatorking wrote:http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/502855
The LL Bean prices and guarantee should work for you.
:happy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

thesofine wrote:So . . .does anyone have any strong preferences for leather belts? I am a lowly government servant in DC, so I have to wear suits to work. I'd like a belt that looks professional and will last for a very, very long time.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Coach - $50, 15 years ago, still going strong, knock on wood.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

LOL. This is a strange request. Where I live buying a black belt is like buying a pair of socks. Not much thought goes into it, when my old one wears out, I get a new one. :wink:

But if you must know, I usually go to Kohls or Burlington and buy one for around $25.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Trafalgar. They should be having their semi-annual website sale soon.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

I get Carhartt Men's Journeyman Belt because they're thick and heavy. Being big I put a lot stress on belts so I want something to last more than a year. I wear them with casual pants we're allowed to use at work; not sure if they would be appropriate for a suit. About $20 on Amazon (click through the Bogleheads Amazon link).
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I love slide belts with no holes, as I always seem to be between holes for a perfect fit. Unfortunately not many companies make them anymore. I have a brown one from Banana Republic that I've been using for years.

I did look at that Mission company, but find that logo to be a bit odd. I prefer a plain buckle with no logo.
momar

Post by momar »

I don't think I've ever had a belt break on me. I've had them look worn, or had to change holes after a while and the thing is deformed. But how are you guys breaking your belts? I wear the same one every day that I get at Kohl's on the cheap.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 »

Allen Edmonds
tdirgins

Post by tdirgins »

I have this guy make belts for me. Made in USA and look great.
Don't be scared off by the circa 1997 website.

http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/
billern

Post by billern »

Rager1 wrote:I recommend the Mission Belt Company. I have two and absolutely love them. The Mission belt is adjustable with no pre-set holes.

Ed
I remember seeing the owners give a pitch on Shark Tank. It looked like an interesting product. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I'm going to give them a try. thanks
jdb

Post by jdb »

Filson 1 1/4" black bridle leather belt. Will last forever. Made in USA.
Might as well get the best.
Last edited by jdb on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Amish Made Men's Leather Belts. Can buy on eBay, $25.00 to $30.00. I have not tried them but I understand they make good products.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350368451210?lpid=82
Slow and steady wins the race.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

momar wrote:I don't think I've ever had a belt break on me. I've had them look worn, or had to change holes after a while and the thing is deformed. But how are you guys breaking your belts? I wear the same one every day that I get at Kohl's on the cheap.
A big lunch maybe?
CABob

Post by CABob »

Rager1 wrote:I recommend the Mission Belt Company. I have two and absolutely love them. The Mission belt is adjustable with no pre-set holes.

Ed
I also have a Mission belt and like it. There is another one called the Slide Belt which has a similar mechanism which I also like. http://www.slidebelts.com/ I seem to recall that the Slide belt and Mission belt folks were at one time the same and there was a falling out so there is now two companies with similar mechanisms.
I also have one from Costco which was a very good value for the price and Dockers also good.
Bob
four7s

Post by four7s »

It depends on where you live. Try to go to a State Fair or a higher quality arts and crafts show and find a vendor who sells solid leather custom fit belts. Expect to pay $25-40 with a simple brass buckle. The secret to a good leather belt is that it be made from solid cowhide and the weight to be 8-9oz leather. Belt manufacturers have many ways of describing the word leather to sell their product but in most cases they are selling a product that is some sort of hybrid or composite material of which leather is but an ingredient. Some of those belts are ok or even good but most are a waste of money, no matter their high prices or not. Bonded leather is worthless. If you are a heavy set guy you especially need the strength of solid leather while a thin guy may be able to get more durability from a cheap belt. Ask that the belt have rivets instead of snaps. Patronize the old fashioned leather craftsman (if you can find one as they are a dying breed) and you should find good quality.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Mission Belt. Hands down the best. It's all I use now.

http://www.missionbelt.com

Jury is out on how long they last. But, after 3 months, they show no signs of wear.

Leonard
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Post by leonard »

6miths wrote:If you're a member, Costco often has two packs of very good quality leather belts. I have 2 of them and they have been excellent.
Everytime I have purchased a black dress belt from Costco - the black vinyl color delaminated from the belt itself within a month or 2. Irrespective of the brand they have sold in the past - these belts still are not worth even the low Costco price.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
GoldenGopher!

Post by GoldenGopher! »

Duluth Trading Company in Duluth, Minnesota makes some very nice, high quality belts. Made in the USA.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... n.aspx?all
swaption

Post by swaption »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Coach - $50, 15 years ago, still going strong, knock on wood.
+1

Was starting to think I was the only one. It's a mini splurge, but really the only belt I'll wear for work. I typically buy at an outlet, so that helps. I say typically, but it's not a purchase I make very often.
sport

Post by sport »

6miths wrote:If you're a member, Costco often has two packs of very good quality leather belts. I have 2 of them and they have been excellent.
The Costco in our area currently has one-packs of good quality leather belts. The price is about $18. I bought one and am happy with it.
Jeff
Topic Author
thesofine

Post by thesofine »

Thanks for all the good responses! I did go to costco today, but to be honest I was not impressed with their belts . . . I guess I am becoming a belt snob. I have my homework to do now in going through all the other recommendations. I am willing to splurge a little since it is something I wear everyday and I'd like for the belt to last many years. It is what I have done with my shoes now that I have found a good cobbler.
Toons

Post by Toons »

jlawrence01 wrote:After going through three JC Penney's belts in three months (not cheap ones, either), I have found that Dickies' belts that I bought at Walmart do very well in the durability department. Whether they are "formal enough" is a different issue bit I do wear them with my suits.
+1 Excellent,also recommend Dickies from Wal-Mart :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

L. L. Bean. $30. Done.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abrash

Post by abrash »

I second the recommendation for an Allen Edmonds belt. A bit of a splurge but will last. Try starting with the basic wide model.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Have had my Costco 1 pack belt for 6 months. Still looks new.
retiredtom

Post by retiredtom »

I like Brighton belts. Rather expensive but the two that I own have lasted for years.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I've bought a couple of the LL Bean "chino" belts in the past year, and quite frankly, they are overpriced junk. They pick up scuff marks very easily (and I sit at a desk.) I will not buy another, guarantee or no guarantee.

LL Bean has gone way, way downhill over the last few years, but that is another topic.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

I'm both frugal AND a belt snob. The absolute best belts in the world are made with glove leather. Once you own one you will not want anything else. The best ones for the money are at Lands End. http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-g ... /id_257515 With a discount code your looking at $35 and free shipping.

Trust me, you'll love it. If not, lands End will cheerfully refund your money.