Sci-Fi Short Story Recs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Sci-Fi Short Story Recs

Post by Alex Frakt »

The Gravity sci-fi movie thread brought the movie A Boy and His Dog (starring a young Don Johnson) to mind. It was based on a Harlan Ellison short story of the same name. Which got me thinking, I generally prefer sci-fi novels to short stories, but a few of the latter still stand out in my mind even though it's been 20 or 30 years since I read them. This was one. Others are (I'll include a link if I can find them online)

- Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon - http://virgil.gr/1/MicroCosmicGod.pdf
- Dogfight by Michael Swanwick and William Gibson - http://lib.ru/GIBSON/r_dogfight.txt
- Food of the Gods by Arthur C. Clarke - http://books.google.com/books?id=hbAqAA ... CCwQ6AEwAA (link is to the second page of the story, scroll up to the beginning)
- Nightfall by Isaac Asimov - https://www.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/nightfall.pdf‎
- A Boy and His Dog - http://www.sfcenter.ku.edu/Sci-Tech-Soc ... s_dog.pdf‎

What are your recommendations?
richard

Re: Sci-Fi Short Story Recs

Post by richard »

The Nine Billion Names of God, Arthur C. Clarke http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_ ... f_god.html
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

richard wrote:The Nine Billion Names of God, Arthur C. Clarke http://downlode.org/Etext/nine_billion_ ... f_god.html
Of course. I can't believe that slipped my mind.
richard

Post by richard »

It's hard to go wrong with Isaac Asimov or Arthur C Clarke. Harlan Ellison and Larry Niven also have some wonderful short stories.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

"Year of the Jackpot" by R. A. Heinlein.
Actually, almost any short story by Heinlein...
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
momar

Post by momar »

Bears Discover Fire by Terry Bisson
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

These are not necessarily great science fiction stories, they are just stories I've liked that that come up immediately in my mind.

"The Shadow and the Flash" by... Jack London. (Yes, The Call of the Wild)

"The New Accelerator" by H. G. Wells. I don't know why but that story has always just been likable to me.

"Columbus Was A Fool," "Ideas Die Hard," by Isaac Asimov. I hope that's the right one. My dad, who didn't read much SF, read it and the first time he saw the moon through a backyard telescope he said "It really IS made of plaster, isn't it?"

"Compounded Interest" by Mac Reynolds, with a Boglehead slant to it. Mysterious stranger walks into a bank in sixteenth-century Venice with a proposal to deposit a small amount of money for a century, and reappears at one-century intervals with investment tips, until his account dominates the global economy--and then he liquidates it all to buy enough electricity to power the time machines so that he can go to sixteenth-century Venice...

"The Cave of Night," by James Gunn. It has inspired one or two movies or TV shows but all of them miss the point of the original story which is that the astronaut marooned in space is, it is strongly hinted, just a recording that was sent up to create a tearjerker event that would rouse enough public sympathy to fund a real man-carrying-capable rocket for a phony rescue mission.

And of course to second some of the others: "The Nine Billion Names of God," by Arthur C. Clarke; "The Year of the Jackpot," "Blowups Happen," and "The Roads Must Roll," by Robert Heinlein.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

nisiprius wrote: ...
"Compounded Interest" by Mac Reynolds, with a Boglehead slant to it. Mysterious stranger walks into a bank in sixteenth-century Venice with a proposal to deposit a small amount of money for a century, and reappears at one-century intervals with investment tips, until his account dominates the global economy--and then he liquidates it all to buy enough electricity to power the time machines so that he can go to sixteenth-century Venice...
Yes, that was a great story!
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Also, Heinlein's first published story, "Life Line", about a man who figures out how to measure any person's remaining lifespan precisely. Obviously that would make the safe withdrawal rate a lot easier to calculate. :D
HelenaJustina

Post by HelenaJustina »

Anything by Cordwainer Smith, a sadly neglected SF master with a truly unique voice and style. Here are two stories you can read online:

Scanners Live in Vain

The Game of Rat and Dragon

If you enjoy them, then the collection The Rediscovery of Man would certainly be a worthwhile investment of your reading dollars.
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

technovelist wrote:"Year of the Jackpot" by R. A. Heinlein.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/20578281/Hein ... he-Jackpot - plenty of OCR errors, but readable.

Although I almost wish I hadn't. I enjoy an end of the world story as much as anyone, but IMO this is a little clumsy.
dimideme

Post by dimideme »

"I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" - Harlan Ellison is one of my favorites

And not quite science fiction, but a bit of light fantasy:
"The Lottery" - Shirley Jackson
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I don't recall if they were long short stories or short novels (I read them long ago), but I liked:

Enemy Mine
Dark Benediction

(I read a lot of Heinlen as well.. H.G. Wells had a lot of good ones too.)

What's the name of the one where the girl stowed away on a ship with limited fuel?
Topic Author
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

dimideme wrote:And not quite science fiction, but a bit of light fantasy:
Light? I'm not staying for bedtime stories at your house.
telemark

Post by telemark »

"To Serve Man" is the Damon Knight story everyone remembers, but I like "The Big Pat Boom." Interstellar tourists visit the Earth and cow pies become fantastically valuable.

"Day Million" by Frederick Pohl.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

"Columbus Was A Fool," by Isaac Asimov. I hope that's the right one.
It's "Columbus was a Dope" and by Heinlein.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

What's the name of the one where the girl stowed away on a ship with limited fuel?
"The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

My recommendations:
Larry Niven, the best were the Known Space stories collected in Tales of Known Space and Neutron Star.

Alastair Reynolds, several collections out there. Some in Revelation Space uni others outside.

Peter Hamilton, he has great ideas and backgrounds but the novels are so long. No time for 800 page door stops.

The New Space Opera 1&2 anthologies edited by Gardner Dozois.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

placeholder wrote:
I was impressed when I first read that story, but there was a savage deconstruction of it awhile back, pointing out how ridiculous the lack of precautions was.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Alex Frakt wrote:
dimideme wrote:And not quite science fiction, but a bit of light fantasy:
Light? I'm not staying for bedtime stories at your house.
Same here. :?
Levett

Post by Levett »

Vonnegut's short story, "Harrison Bergeron."

Lev
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Alex Frakt wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/20578281/Hein ... he-Jackpot - plenty of OCR errors, but readable.

Although I almost wish I hadn't. I enjoy an end of the world story as much as anyone, but IMO this is a little clumsy.
The sex, right? Heinlein (in my opinion) was always clumsy when it came to writing about sex, and that includes Stranger in a Strange Land. And what is the title of the godawful one in which everyone spends the whole book talking about sex but never actually having any?

But perhaps his editors made him do it. If you've ever read Jack London's The Sea Wolf--the narrator and his girlfriend, soulmate, whatever, are literally stranded on a desert island, and the first thing they do is to build two huts. The magazine editors insisted. But that was in 1904.

I seem to recall (I could look up your link but I'd prefer to recall it) that this was from the years when he had the bad habit of starting every line of dialog with a grunt. "Eh? That's what the equations show?" "So? If we can't get someone to marry us, why not marry ourselves?" "Huh? Woman, let's say our vows before we go inside, or we might forget."

Oh, oh, oh, I almost forgot. I think this might be Heinlein's greatest short story, unless you want to disqualify it as being a novella: "Universe." Giant ecologically self-sustaining spaceship on its way to Alpha Centauri, and over the years the inhabitants forget the literal reality of the situation and how to operate the ship, and develop a religious and mystical theory in which "the ship" and "the voyage" and "Centauri" are thought to be spiritual allegories.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I recently TRIED to read Stranger in a Strange Land, after having heard of all the hubbub about it for the last 30 years for me (I'm pushing 40).

Gotta admit - what a letdown. Maybe it was more timely/relevant/interesting back in the era it was written (since it was obviously enjoyed by many millions), but I found it almost like a lame adolescent wet dream fantasy of unrealistic characters and situations. I forced my way through 75% of it, and the had to call it quits, something I rarely do.

Starship Troopers, on the other hand, was excellent, and is still in my list of all time favorite scifi books.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

nisiprius wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:

The sex, right? Heinlein (in my opinion) was always clumsy when it came to writing about sex, and that includes Stranger in a Strange Land.
He had to bowdlerize Stranger to get it published, even in the 60's. But I think he got more relaxed about writing about sex in his later books, which I liked even if some people think he was getting senile by that point.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

dimideme wrote:"I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" - Harlan Ellison is one of my favorites

And not quite science fiction, but a bit of light fantasy:
I remember, as a kid, being in SHOCKED in school when we read this story. True, it's not the classical definition of scifi;
but it does fit in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. The ending probably had my draw dropping.
Great choice.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skylar

Post by skylar »

I'll second Alastair Reynolds, especially if you like dark sci-fi. Iain Banks is another great British author (sadly, recently deceased), and isn't quite as dark.

Skylar
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A classic collection of short stories: The Illustrated Man, by Ray Bradbury
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

placeholder wrote:
"Columbus Was A Fool," by Isaac Asimov. I hope that's the right one.
It's "Columbus was a Dope" and by Heinlein.
No, darn it. That's a different story.

I had a double layer of error. Not only did I remember the wrong title; I remembered the wrong title, wrongly. The correct story is:

Ideas Die Hard, by Isaac Asimov. The reason I keep thinking of the wrong title is that the characters spend some time talking about Columbus. The essential idea is that when astronauts round the moon, they discover that it is made of plaster and propped up in back with two-by-fours. I forget what the explanation is. It occurs to me that a recurrent theme in Asimov is the fragility of sanity, because the astronauts cannot stand it and go insane (like the general populace in "Nightfall.")
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Mentioning Ray Bradbury instantly called to mind "Rocket Summer." Just the shortest of squibs but memorable. Also, a little heavy and clunky, but "There Will Come Soft Rains."

Oh, Jack Finney. "Such Interesting Neighbors." Though to tell the truth what made it memorable to me is a weirdly prescient bit, which I scoffed at at the time. It soon becomes obvious to the reader, though not to the narrator, that the neighbors are time travelers from the future who have come to escape a dreadful dystopic future by seeking refuge in the halcyon, simple, days of our modern times, which would have been 1951. The neighbor makes a living by coming up with "inventions." One of them is a gadget that looks like a flashlight, that measures distances very accurately. You just shine a beam of light--"a special kind of light"--and read off the distance in feet, inches, and fractions. The narrator asks him "but how does it work?" and the neighbor says "On flashlight batteries."

And I remember reading it in the mid-fifties when it was anthologized, and saying "what awful guff, a special kind of light, how could there be a special kind of light, c'mon." And then in the late fifties they invented lasers. ("Optical masers," as they were originally called).
sidesh0w

Post by sidesh0w »

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect is quite good, if kinda disturbing.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

A second vote for Microcosmic God, by Sturgeon.

The Sound of Thunder, by Bradbury

The Sandkings, by George R.R. Martin (back when he wrote sci-fi)

By His Bootstraps, by Heinlein

Re Heinlein, I grew up on his so-called "juveniles": Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Rocket Ship Galileo, Podkayne of Mars, etc. etc. He had a profound impact on my young life. Sadly, I think the popular success of Stranger went to his head, and his later stuff is unreadable. He came across like a dirty old man who was sorry he missed the sexual revolution. Time Enough for Love (1973) I think is the book the earlier poster is referring to, where everyone talks about sex and nobody gets any.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I never read the novel (actually I think it was based on the screenplay), but as a movie I loved Silent Running.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
stratton

Post by stratton »

Paul Krugman wrote a 15 page paper in 1978: The Theory of Interstellar Trade
This paper extends interplanetary trade theory to an interstellar setting.
It is chiefly concerned with the following question: how should interest
charges on goods in transit be computed when the goods travel at close to
the speed of light? This is a problem because the time taken in transit will
appear less to an observer travelling with the goods than to a stationary
observer. A solution is derived from economic theory, and two useless but
true theorems are proved.
Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
dumbmoney

Post by dumbmoney »

lightheir wrote:I recently TRIED to read Stranger in a Strange Land, after having heard of all the hubbub about it for the last 30 years for me (I'm pushing 40).
It's been a while, but as I recall, the first half or so was good, or at least not bad, and the second half was a hack job, as if it were finished by a ghostwriter.
I am pleased to report that the invisible forces of destruction have been unmasked, marking a turning point chapter when the fraudulent and speculative winds are cast into the inferno of extinction.
fandango

Post by fandango »

If you want to try a relatively new author, check out the Wool series by Hugh Howey. Very creative and well written series. I am a long term science fiction fan, and this is the best series that I have read in a very long time.

He published all his books on Amazon and recently sold the paper copy rights to a major publisher when the series became extraordinarily popular. He recently completed a deal for a movie. An example of how small authors can make a tremendous impact through digital publishing.

Prior to all of this success, he worked at a small book store and wrote at night to produce his first book, Wool. Currently, the Kindle edition of Wool is available for free from Amazon. Once you finish Wool, you'll want to read the entire series.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

nisiprius wrote:Oh, Jack Finney.
Yeah, tough to go wrong with Jack Finney. I loved Of Missing Persons.

I had that one in a collection of sci-fi stories I used to read as a kid. Another one from there I remember liking is Fredric Brown's Puppet Show.
Stay on target...
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Anything by Cordwainer Smith.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

I prefer novels, but short stories that impressed me were "Gomez" (1954), "The Mindworm" (1950), and "That Share of Glory" (1962) by C. M. Kornbluth (1923 – 1958), all collected in The Explorers (1954).

I think Heinlein peaked with The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (1966).
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
wadefish

Post by wadefish »

A descent into the maelstrom. Edgar Allen Poe.

http://www.eapoe.org/works/tales/maelsa.htm
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

technovelist wrote:
placeholder wrote:
I was impressed when I first read that story, but there was a savage deconstruction of it awhile back, pointing out how ridiculous the lack of precautions was.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. I was young when I read it so not sure if I'd like it more or less now.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

dumbmoney wrote:
lightheir wrote:I recently TRIED to read Stranger in a Strange Land, after having heard of all the hubbub about it for the last 30 years for me (I'm pushing 40).
It's been a while, but as I recall, the first half or so was good, or at least not bad, and the second half was a hack job, as if it were finished by a ghostwriter.
I read the first half when I was a kid and enjoyed it, but never finished it. I usually like Heinlein.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

"The Shadow Out of Time" by HP Lovecraft

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

Am really surprised no one has yet mentioned THE LAST QUESTION by ASIMOV.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Do you think if Alex had asked for great short romance novels we would have had even one tenth the replies?
jimgour

Post by jimgour »

"The Little Black Bag", a short story by science fiction author Cyril M. Kornbluth.

Published in 1950, it was one I liked very much. Some might say it says something about problems we have in our educational system today.

Jim
MickeyCharles

Post by MickeyCharles »

fandango wrote:If you want to try a relatively new author, check out the Wool series by Hugh Howey. Very creative and well written series. I am a long term science fiction fan, and this is the best series that I have read in a very long time.

He published all his books on Amazon and recently sold the paper copy rights to a major publisher when the series became extraordinarily popular. He recently completed a deal for a movie. An example of how small authors can make a tremendous impact through digital publishing.

Prior to all of this success, he worked at a small book store and wrote at night to produce his first book, Wool. Currently, the Kindle edition of Wool is available for free from Amazon. Once you finish Wool, you'll want to read the entire series.
+1. I'm in the middle of this series now and can't but it down!
HelenaJustina

Post by HelenaJustina »

Stonebr wrote:Anything by Cordwainer Smith.
:sharebeer
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Gonna Roll the Bones by Fritz Leiber
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Ringworld.....Larry Niven
placeholder

Post by placeholder »