The New Consumer Reports Issue on Cars

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CountryBoy

The New Consumer Reports Issue on Cars

Post by CountryBoy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Things are changing...........

I haven't seen the new Conumer Reports Magazine issue on cars but this is what is reported in the papers:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... z2j2ZrdY3R
it has decided to revoke its recommendations for Toyota’s Camry, Rav4 and Prius V hybrid station wagon because they have scored low in insurance industry crash tests that measure what happens when the front corner of the car hits a pole or other object. The cars have long been among Consumer Reports' top picks.

The Boglehead choice of the best 4-door sedan in 2014 is what?
Last edited by CountryBoy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOscarGuy

Re: The New Conumer Reports on Cars

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Things are changing...........

I haven't seen the new Conumer Reports Magazine issue on cars but this is what is reported in the papers:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... z2j2ZrdY3R
it has decided to revoke its recommendations for Toyota’s Camry, Rav4 and Prius V hybrid station wagon because they have scored low in insurance industry crash tests that measure what happens when the front corner of the car hits a pole or other object. The cars have long been among Consumer Reports' top picks.

The article fails to mention which car scored higher in this crash test. I doubt Bogleheads will suddenly stop buying Toyotas due to this reason alone. Its unclear what, if anything, is CR recommending.

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 pm

CountryBoy wrote:Things are changing...........

Tesla Model S?
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/28/autos/t ... commended/
Just kidding.

segfault

Post by segfault » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 pm

CountryBoy wrote:The Boglehead choice of the best 4-door sedan in 2014 is what?

The Accord performed extremely well in that same crash test.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:31 pm

CR also revoked its recommendation for the new Honda Accord (V6 version).

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:53 pm

It's still a 1990 camry.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:28 pm

CR likes the Chrysler 300 V6.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Apologies for the spelling error; the topic should of course have read The New Consumer Reports on Cars.

Duckie

Re: The New Consumer Reports on Cars

Post by Duckie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:42 pm

CountryBoy, you can edit the title of your thread. Go to your initial post and click on the "Edit" button in the upper right hand corner of the post. Then change the spelling in the "Subject:" box and "Submit".

CountryBoy

Re: The New Consumer Reports Issue on Cars

Post by CountryBoy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:13 am

Duckie

Thank you very much.

CountryBoy

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 am

One general suggestion about Consumer Reports.

Their reviews and reports are excellent. However, do not blindly follow their choices for best picks. Read the details for each considered vehicle. Then use your own priorities to assess the pluses and minuses.

This is true of any product they review. I find that especially in products that I have a detailed knowledge, their picks almost always do not reflect my priorities. However, the detailed review of competitive products are not something someone can do on their own.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:

It's still a 1990 camry.

With 220,000 miles. No bluetooth, no heated seats, no aux input. What? You wasted your money buying a new car?

While I read CR, and find tidbits of useful information, I don't agree with their overall philosophy, nor with the conclusions they draw regarding safety features and test results. From a safety standpoint, I would have no problem buying any new car, and don't need CR's stamp of approval. I'm not saying crash tests are worthless, but I spend no time at all worrying about crash test results.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

Dave76 wrote:CR likes the Chrysler 300 V6.

Oh no. Not an American car :-) I am not too sure what BHs will think of a car that is not Toyota or a Honda.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 am

Lexus – the luxury division of Toyota – scored the top spot this year, followed by Toyota and Acura. Audi

I have found that overall, CR gives great information. When they say a product is bad, it usually is, which has been my experience.

I am very concerned about crash worthiness driving the SoCal freeways.

LynnC

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:

It's still a 1990 camry.

With 220,000 miles. No bluetooth, no heated seats, no aux input. What? You wasted your money buying a new car?

Can't help you with heated seats, but I got a new CD/radio/aux input (installed by a professional!) for $100, all in. Bluetooth for an extra $50. That's a head unit from Amazon and simple installation from the guys at the corner ghetto blaster shop. Though there are certain comforts I wouldn't mind in a new car if I upgraded from my 2000 Civic (something quieter and smoother and safer would be okay by me!), between my aux input and my cell phone (which contains music and podcasts on the hard drive, access to Pandora, and a great GPS), I don't regret not having any of the fancy A/V stuff that many modern cars boast.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 am

What do people think of the 2014 Chevroltet Cruze 4dr Sdn?

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am

What do people think of the 2014 Chevroltet Cruze 4dr Sdn?

racy

Post by racy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Having used a 1946 pickup and then a rusted out 1958 Ford station wagon as my school car vehicles in my youth, I am not frightened by anything built today. I also don't wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle. As someone said, "risk is extra life"!

ciscovp

Post by ciscovp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Any ranking on the Infiniti? What do you all think of the 2014 Infiniti QX-60? This is similar to the 2013 JX-35. Infiniti changed the name.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

For specific cars, www.thecarconnection.com seems pretty good.

mur44

Post by mur44 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Countryboy,

I am in the market to buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

The Car Connection did NOT give tidbits on which dealers offer
the best price NYC area.

Any tidbits?

Thanks

Mur44

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Didn't CR blackball Toyota Camry a few years ago for shifting floor mats or something only to find out that it was not really a problem?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

eharri3

Post by eharri3 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:23 pm

mickeyd wrote:Didn't CR blackball Toyota Camry a few years ago for shifting floor mats or something only to find out that it was not really a problem?

Look back further to Suzuki's lawsuit over their coverage of the Samurai, eventually settled without any monetary award. However, part of the resolution was there was some 'clarification' from Consumer's Union where they had to admit the truck did not roll over easily in routine maneuvering as earlier coverage lead readers to believe. All kinds of interesting allegations in that one, indicating that at the time they tested the Samurai they had just invested 30 million-plus in a new facility and needed to sell a huge story to help pay for it. So when the Samurai passed standard handling tests without a problem they deliberately pushed it beyond its limits and put it through maneuvers specifically designed to cause a rollover just so they would have something shocking to report.

A lot of CR drones consider them gospel and believe them to be impartial and un-biased. I hold no such illusions. I view them as just another form of media. Their car reviews have improved a little, to the point where they are no longer trying to send the subliminal message that nobody has any business driving anything besides a Minivan, a Corolla, Accord, or a Civic. They now make a little bit of an effort to assess a pickup truck based on how well it does compared to other pickup trucks, or a sports car based on how well it performs as a sports car. But I would still just as soon let them guide me on treadmills and kitchen appliances while looking to other sources for vehicle info.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Yes the Camry was knocked off its pedestal in a recent issue of CR due, I believe to, to poor crash results. I took a test ride in one about 6 mos. ago and was surprised that its ride was as rough as it was. Also did not like the gear shift. We ended up buying a Nissan Altima which had more of what we wanted and was a couple thousand cheaper.

Then, when I walked into that dealership 6 mos. later looking at a Prius, they told me that if I had a Nissan car in the family they would give me a thousand dollars off on any Toyota model. True story.

The thing that amazes me is that I own a 2013 Camry that gets about 28-9 mpg which when compared with many of the new cars is not that bad. Sure, of course, you get lots of endless gadgetry in the new cars but their mileage on average is not that great. Of course, the Prius, which I was looking at, definitely gives serious mileage.

The test drive is the thing; ya gotta test drive the cars and not just go by the reviews.

I am currently looking into a 20015 Prius C or standard Prius. I am hoping that they will by that time give me a rear view window; yes, I admit it, I am old fashion; I need one and not the camera on the dash. Each to his own.

Check out The Car Connection, KBB, Edmunds and of course YouTube.

Also remember that the new CR 2013 product summary paperback just came out. It lists cars and could be an additional source of help.

Good luck.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm

I bought a 2013 Honda Accord Sport and, although it is okay, is still not as good as all of my Toyotas that preceeded it. I find the seats more uncomfortable, the cabin and trunk less spacious, and the ride much harsher. Gas mileage is very good and I like the idea of a timing chain instead of a rubber belt that has to be changed every 60,000 miles or so. And the Accord is nicer looking, if that's what important to you. If the Accord's reliability is as good as what I enjoyed on all of my Toyotas (3 vehicles with more than 300,000 miles each) then I will be satisfied.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm

I am currently looking into a 20015 Prius C

You're not lible to see that model for another 18,000 years, +/-.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:49 pm

I stand corrected.

However one can see this:
2015 Toyota Prius C
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +2015&sm=3