2013/2014 Honda accord - any better values?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
futureman

2013/2014 Honda accord - any better values?

Post by futureman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:57 pm

I am thinking about buying a 2014 Honda Accord V6 as a commuter car (50-60 miles per day). USAA car buying service targets a purchase price if just under $32k. It appears to have great highway gas mileage for a V6 -34mpg, and to boot it takes regular gas. I need a quiet car though since I am hard of hearing.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2013/2014 accord V6 which you can share, specifically around gas mileage and interior sound levels? Any other aspects of the car good or bad?

Can anyone recommend any better values for this price in this category (mid or full size sedan)?

Thanks you.

LifeLearner

Re: 2013/2014 Honda accord - any better values?

Post by LifeLearner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Do you need the V6?

It seems to be a no-brainer answer to your question whether there is a car with better value is just the I4 Accord.

futureman

Post by futureman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 pm

I left off that I was looking at the Touring, for a number of reasons including the two setting memory driver seat. I would consider a V4 if it offers most of the same features as the Touring model.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't really see anything of value between the 4 cylinder EX-L and V6 Touring. I prefer the 4 cylinder due to lifetime timing chain versus the timing belt on the V6. I have an 04 Accord 4 cylinder with a manual transmission and it has all the power I need or want.

Check the specs, the two memory power seat starts at the EX-L level (either 4 or 6 cylinder): http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sed ... tions.aspx

If you look at those specs for one minute you will be more informed than the sales person.

EX-L V-6
Adding to or replacing features on the EX-L
278-hp (SAE Net), 3.5-Liter, 24-Valve, SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 Engine
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
HomeLink® Remote System[15]

Touring
Adding to or replacing features on the EX-L V-6
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)[16]
LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off

If you are going to spend $30k+ on an Accord consider the 2014 Accord hybrid, Its not out yet but due soon: cleanmpg.com: Honda’s 2014 Accord Hybrid Drivetrain Topology Breakout

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-hybrid/
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm going to chime in on the V-6 vs the I-4 for the Accord.

97% of the time, the 4 cylinder engine is going to be more power than you need. 100% of the time, the lighter weight of the 4 cylinder is going to allow the the car to be easier to drive, handle better, brake faster, and overall a nicer car for less money upfront and at the pump.

I also recommend test driving a new Toyota Camry as well. You might like it better than the Accord. Hondas are notorious for not being a quiet car, especially on the freeway.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Mingus wrote:Hondas are notorious for not being a quiet car, especially on the freeway.

The 8th (2008-2012) generation had this issue. Sources say that the 9th (2013+) generation took care of them.

futureman

Post by futureman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 am

I will look at the Camry. Historically though, Toyota's (and Lexus by extension) don't have as much headroom (for me) as Hondas (and Acuras).

core5

Post by core5 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:05 am

The V6 in the 2013 accord is probably the best 6 cylinder on the market. Dyno plots put it closer to 300hp after accounting for drivetrain losses. It has cylinder deactivation, which is how it get into the 30s on the highway. Add to that it'll run on 87 no problem, and you can't lose. They put relatively thin 215 tires on the accord, so you might not get the best handling until you increase the contact patch. Most V6 cars that size have 235 or 245 width tires.

I think it's closest competitor is the Nissan Maxima/Altima, but the engine in those is a little older, technology-wise.

Keep in mind that the 2013 is brand new, and as with all new models/revisions, it may have teething problems.

If you go into the used category (under 10k miles) you can score some good deals. The ones I like the most, with a V6 are the Chrysler 300C (be careful, there are about 8 versions of the 300, you want the "C"), and the Buick Lacrosse. Both can be had for well under $30k and would probably be exceptional highway cruisers.

The newest Mazda 6 has received raving reviews, but I don't know much about it.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 am

I've driven both. The V6 definately feels more powerful, however it's somewhat useless power. The I4 has 185 hp , slick CVT, and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. More than enough power for commuting and way faster than the regular Civic. Honda's CVT feels real smooth/nice.

The V6 is top speed limited to 125, so what practical difference would the V6 make?

mike143 wrote:I prefer the 4 cylinder due to lifetime timing chain versus the timing belt on the V6.

I didn't know this. For me, this would be one strike against the V6

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 am

You said you want a quiet car. How about 2014, Honda ACCORD, PLUG in Hybrid? Official price is around $ 40000. However, you get $ 7500.00 in tax credit on this car so you are around 32k. You plug in every night and you have quiet car for your commute and still a Honda.

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 am

I drive about the same amount as you per day and my commute is mostly highway. If that is the case, I would suggest a new clean diesel vehicle. I have a Chevy Cruze Diesel, but if you're looking for a larger car, the Passat has all the options you want and can be had for around $32k. That is fully loaded. It has less HP that the Honda, but the torque far outweighs any lower HP numbers. The cars have 10k oil change intervals and will last over 200k miles if you want to drive it that long. Currently I'm averaging 40mpg combined highway city which more than makes up for the higher diesel price. Also, the new diesels do not put out any smoke so they aren't like the diesels of the 1980's nor are they loud. Like the Accord, the Volkswagen Passat is assembled in the US in Tennessee. Give it a look, they are reliable cars, have great fuel efficiency and great power!

http://web.vw.com/tdi-clean-diesel/index.php

opus360

Post by opus360 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:36 am

futureman wrote:I am thinking about buying a 2014 Honda Accord V6 as a commuter car (50-60 miles per day). USAA car buying service targets a purchase price if just under $32k. It appears to have great highway gas mileage for a V6 -34mpg, and to boot it takes regular gas. I need a quiet car though since I am hard of hearing.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2013/2014 accord V6 which you can share, specifically around gas mileage and interior sound levels? Any other aspects of the car good or bad?

Can anyone recommend any better values for this price in this category (mid or full size sedan)?

Thanks you.

In the price range of about $30k+, you're better off with the 2014 Chevy Impala. Relative to the Accord V6, the Impala is quieter, rides better and gets the same highway mileage. This is not your father or grandfather's Impala - it is a completely different car.

eharri3

Post by eharri3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 am

If you drive gently the 4 will do better. If you are a leadfoot, you want the 6. It will strain less to accomplish the same things. Lower RPMs means better mpg.

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 am

Short answer - no, I cannot recommend better value, but look at Camry too. There is a reason why these 2 models are perennial bestsellers and top rated by CR. Long answer below.

I have a 2003 Accord EX-L V6. 170K miles with virtually zero problems (only replaced alternator due to noise - bearings going out, didn't want to take the chance). I do all maintenance myself. I love the car - very comfortable, smooth V-6 engine, easy to work on and maintain. Interior looks like new, with very little care - compare that to many 3-5 year old cars where the age of plastics and soft surfaces starts to show... I love my Honda because I see every day using it and working on it how much thought and effort was put into it - things that are mostly invisible to the average person not working on their cars. The only negative I can think of would be the road noise - that has been the case for any Honda, any model, any generation - it's like their trademark, especially when compared to Toyota cars. Some people mind it, some don't even notice it. If you want quiet Honda, you buy Acura.

When I go to Honda dealer for transmission fluid or coolant, I sometimes look at their new cars in the showroom, so I looked at the car you are considering. It's been nicely updated, lots of interior space. Engine compartment too cramped for my taste, but it's the trend across all brands - a lot of new technologies coming in. Not as easy to work on, but you probably don't care about it, as long as it runs, right? One key feature missing for me is the lack of the "door" between the trunk and cabin for skis and hockey sticks. They dropped it in 8th generation, but still...

I test drove it just for fun. V-6 is great, but more importantly - the car was definitely quieter! They had to put more sound-deadening material into doors and floor - not a move I would expect out of Honda. Other than that, it felt like a typical Honda - simple interior design and layout, some thoughtful touches, powerful V-6 engine. I would test drive Camry as well - another well designed car, but it will give you different feeling. You will like one better than the other, even though they both offer great value.

Some additional thoughts. If you decide on Accord, you will have to make 2 major choices: i-4 vs. V-6, plug-in hybrid vs. regular. You will get conflicting advise on both. That's because people have different tastes and priorities. I, for example, would opt for V-6 again - great linear power, effortless acceleration on the highway and in the mountains. It's a totally different experience vs. i-4, and I am willing to pay small penalty at the pump for that. For most people, i-4 is more than adequate, and if all you do is commuting, city driving, short errand trips and such, I think it's a better choice.

At 105K miles, you will have to replace timing belt on a V-6 - not a big deal, if you ask me. If you work on your car, it's $150 for a kit that also includes water pump. If you don't, dealers often run specials around $600 to do it for you. If you don't intend to keep the car that long, than it's a non-issue.

Plug-in hybrid vs. regular - very intriguing thought. The gas mileage is unbelievable for a midsized sedan! However, I personally would not do it - I would not buy first year plug-in hybrid model, not even from a Honda. Also, the battery is rather small, resulting in maximum EV range of only 13 miles, and a smaller federal tax credit. I would also not pay the premium they are asking for:

i-4 EX-L: $26K
V-6 EX-L: $28K
i-4 plug-in Hybrid: $38K (minus $3,626 tax credit)

These are just rough numbers, but you get the idea. It all depends on how long you intend to keep the car, whether you maintain it yourself or not, how much power you want vs. how frugal you want to be at the pump, etc. The final decision will depend on factors you value the most. Keep in mind that in this market segment, you will find many cars with better individual attributes than Accord - bigger, quieter, more powerful, better gas mileage, more luxurious, less expensive, etc. What defines the Accord, IMO, is that somehow Honda managed to get all those attributes into a single package. It does reasonably well on all of them, with no significant weakness - it's a value that's hard to beat. The reason I offered my personal experience with the same model older car is to show you what you can reasonably expect from V-6 Accord in the long run. I hope it was helpful to you.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

Don't forget soon to be release non-plugin hybrid Accord starting at $30k. The auto journalist reviews came out a few weeks ago: https://www.google.com/search?q=2014+ho ... ord+hybrid

Here is a good video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEz_-k3-Qk
Last edited by mike143 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:47 am

The Touring edition is very nice. I would definitely consider buying that if we didn't need more cargo space for baby gear. The LED headlights and LED DRL's are quite impressive, and I like the Blind Spot camera. The only thing I don't care for is the wheels (the wheels on the Sport model are much better looking). Also, the Accord forums mention that the stereo system is poor at best.

thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 am

I would also look at the Toyota Avalon as an alternative to fully-loaded Accords and Camrys.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 am

I would check out the Camry Hybrid. If you are wanting to spend $32k, then the Camry Hybrid XLE is a better value I think. A souped up 2014 Camry Hybrid XLE (with leather, heat warmers, Navigation, etc) will run you $33k MSRP (I just checked my local dealer website). 40MPG city, 38 hwy.

For comparison, I have a 2010 "souped" up Camry Hybrid and my sticker said 32MPG city, but I get about 38 in mixed driving. I am sure you will get more than 40MPG.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 am

Mingus wrote:I'm going to chime in on the V-6 vs the I-4 for the Accord.

97% of the time, the 4 cylinder engine is going to be more power than you need. 100% of the time, the lighter weight of the 4 cylinder is going to allow the the car to be easier to drive, handle better, brake faster, and overall a nicer car for less money upfront and at the pump.

I also recommend test driving a new Toyota Camry as well. You might like it better than the Accord. Hondas are notorious for not being a quiet car, especially on the freeway.

Just finished a 2000 mile trip in 2013 CRV 90% interstate highway,extremely quiet inside vehicle.No complaint of road noise whatsoever :happy
I also own a 2012 Honda fit,no complaints about road noise on interstate.Would not hesitate to purchase either vehicle again. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 pm

The 2014 Mazda6 is hard to beat if you prefer a 'drivers' car and it gets ~38mpg hwy.
Unfortunately, Mazda is known to have louder interiors (saving weight on sound dampening?) vs competitors. Still worth a look, IMO.

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Toons wrote:
Mingus wrote:I'm going to chime in on the V-6 vs the I-4 for the Accord.

Just finished a 2000 mile trip in 2013 CRV 90% interstate highway,extremely quiet inside vehicle.No complaint of road noise whatsoever :happy
I also own a 2012 Honda fit,no complaints about road noise on interstate.Would not hesitate to purchase either vehicle again. :happy

Toons,

If I were in the market for a small SUV, this model would be at the top of my list. From an engineering design perspective, it's an impressive model! Loads of space, many thoughtful touches, engine compartment neatly organized, comfortable ride, good MPG, etc. I would recommend that vehicle to anyone in a heartbeat. Like typical Honda, it achieves to offer impressively valued package without really excelling at any specific feature.

Having said all that, it is somewhat noisy. Like in any Honda, engine and wind noise are well muted, but the road noise is "pronounced" (CR expression). The noise level is measured and than compared to other models in the same segment; Toyota will be quieter, even if you cannot tell the difference. Honda is not a noisy car overall - their main problem is that the more engine and wind noise is suppressed, the more pronounced road noise will become.

As I said in my previous post, some people will notice and some will not. You don't notice it, and that's great! I do notice it, but I don't mind it, so all is well. However, what I did notice in new Accord is that Honda suppressed road noise compared to previous generations. I would not be surprised if CRV gets similar update in the next redesign.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm

snowman wrote:Like in any Honda, engine and wind noise are well muted, but the road noise is "pronounced" (CR expression).

A good bit of "road noise" is due to the choice of tires on the car. Accordingly, to some extent, the noise level can be controlled by the owner of the vehicle.

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:13 am

Nothing ages like a Toyota, and that is beside reliability and quietness.

For the above 3, certainly vote for Camry.

rixer

Post by rixer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:02 am

thomasbayarea wrote:I would also look at the Toyota Avalon as an alternative to fully-loaded Accords and Camrys.

Although our old 4 cyl Honda Accord was the best car we've ever had, when it came time to get a new car, we bought an Avalon. I still can't believe we didn't buy another Honda, but the Avalon is a such a sweet ride.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:27 am

ragabnh wrote:Nothing ages like a Toyota, and that is beside reliability and quietness.

For the above 3, certainly vote for Camry.

Except for this -- http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dea ... 05703.html

These cars outlive their owners. They are known to reach 400,000 miles. Once you drive a $40k Honda or Acura or Lexus off the lot, you've lost $10k-$12k. So, basically, you got your Rolls for nothing! It's probably the best value out there.

Just my two cents.

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:43 am

I just got a 2013 Accord EX and absolutely adore it. It has 4 cycl and gets~35 miles/gal and is plenty peppy. I've owned 4 cycl Accords since 1983 and love them. Good luck
"When nothing goes right....go left"

Empoweryou

Post by Empoweryou » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 am

Honda has been having some problems with their Variable Cylinder Management(VCM) system on the V6. More specifically: oil consumption. There's a recall for several models. The repair is a little questionable too. There's a software update that's supposed to help which I assume changes how often and/or how long the engine stays in VCM mode. Staying in VCM mode is how it gets the reported mileage. If that doesn't help, then the repair is to re-ring the affected cylinders(cylinders# 1,2,3 and 4 only). VCM isn't offered for the I4. IMHO this seems a little goofy to me to overhaul only some of the engine. My 2 cents. :|
I'm all ears!

victorb

Post by victorb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I would certainly look @ the Hyundai Sonata.

communipaw

Post by communipaw » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 pm

I bought a 6 cylinder Accord in June, after determining it was a good value for my purposes. Maybe there are cars that are a better value but I've been very happy with this one.
The 6 cylinder is especially good for accelerating quietly and easily from 15 mph to 30mph, which I have to do often during the day; also quiet and good for merging from 25 mph ramp into 60 mph traffic of an interstate highway that I have to do every work day.
Overall a quiet car, physically comfortable; 22 mpg in the city; 33 on the highway.

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm

futureman wrote:USAA car buying service targets a purchase price if just under $32k.

That seems to be a pretty high for an Accord. I was expecting more like $20k without leather, and $24/25k with leather.

futureman wrote:It appears to have great highway gas mileage for a V6 -34mpg, and to boot it takes regular gas.

I own a 2007 Accord 4-cylinder that claims 34 mpg highway, but I do not even get 30 on long drives, and only about 20 around town. Disappointed. Check fueleconomy.gov for what other people are reporting on the newer models.

futureman wrote:I need a quiet car

Toyota Camrys are much quieter and just as reliable. But Accords are much more fun to drive than Camrys. (I've owned both)
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:38 pm

ragabnh wrote:Nothing ages like a Toyota, and that is beside reliability and quietness.

Agree. I bought my Camry used for $9k with 57k miles on it. Sold it 10 years later for $3k with 198k miles on it. That's about 150k miles and 10 years for $6k only! If there was ever a Boglehead car, this is it. A friend whose brother's a mechanic bought it from me after doing his due diligence on the vehicle's condition. It was still running like a champ after nearly 15 years and 200k miles, very quiet with nary a noise or rattle, nor any engine/transmission issues at all. My friend has already raked up close to 250k and is still driving it without any issues. I still get to ride it once in a while when we catch lunch together. Given my experience, I couldn't recommend the Camry enough.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 am

If I were looking at this market segment, I would definitely look at the Mazda 6, in addition to the Accord and Camry. If you live where there is snow, I'd add in the Subaru Legacy (which is what I own).

I realize the initial question was about value - which inherently leaves out, or at least minimizes, other yardsticks such as styling, comfort, performance, snow traction, etc. In reality, this market segment is so competitive, there's no clear winner. Yes, Honda and Toyota are known for providing value, but I've test driven several Camrys over several decades, but have never liked any of them. Too bland, too forgettable. That's just me, of course, but I can't imagine buying and driving a car for hundreds of hours a year that I don't like at least a little. In other words, let your test drive and own perception enter into the equation in addition to "value".
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:03 am

deanbrew wrote:If I were looking at this market segment, I would definitely look at the Mazda 6, in addition to the Accord and Camry. If you live where there is snow, I'd add in the Subaru Legacy (which is what I own).

I realize the initial question was about value - which inherently leaves out, or at least minimizes, other yardsticks such as styling, comfort, performance, snow traction, etc. In reality, this market segment is so competitive, there's no clear winner. Yes, Honda and Toyota are known for providing value, but I've test driven several Camrys over several decades, but have never liked any of them. Too bland, too forgettable. That's just me, of course, but I can't imagine buying and driving a car for hundreds of hours a year that I don't like at least a little. In other words, let your test drive and own perception enter into the equation in addition to "value".

I agree. The Camry is dull and has no character. I think the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow is the best value out there. A good example can be had for as little as $13k. These cars outlive their owners! How many 1980s Camrys are still on the road? Hardly any.

AUAstroMan

Post by AUAstroMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am

Personally, if I were in the market right now the I4 Accord (sport) would be at the top of my list based on what I have read, but I would also take a close look at the Mazda6. However, since you are looking at the V6 version which prices out in the low 30s you may want to also take a look at the newly redesigned Chevy Impala. The auto journalists all seem to be in love with it, and it scored a 95/100 with Consumer Reports. It should be similarly priced to the Accord you are considering and seems to be surprising a lot of people that haven't considered a domestic competitor in a while.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:13 pm

futureman wrote:I left off that I was looking at the Touring, for a number of reasons including the two setting memory driver seat. I would consider a V4 if it offers most of the same features as the Touring model.

I have a 2013 I4 with two-setting memory driver seat.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:23 pm

eharri3 wrote:If you drive gently the 4 will do better. If you are a leadfoot, you want the 6. It will strain less to accomplish the same things. Lower RPMs means better mpg.

The 2013 Accord high trims have an ECO button. You have to turn that off if you don't want a computer between your leadfoot and the fuel flow controller.

MedicatedMoney

Post by MedicatedMoney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 pm

AUAstroMan wrote:Personally, if I were in the market right now the I4 Accord (sport) would be at the top of my list based on what I have read, but I would also take a close look at the Mazda6.

I purchased the I4 Accord Sport in March of this year. 10k later, I absolutely love this vehicle. I test drove almost every car in this range (Camry V6 & V4, Sonota, Fusion, Mazda, and Optima). From a straight value standpoint, the Accord Sport had a little more HP then the standard I4, a few more options, and was extremely well priced. I would recommend this car everyday of the week and twice on Sundays!
-Medicated

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
futureman wrote:I left off that I was looking at the Touring, for a number of reasons including the two setting memory driver seat. I would consider a V4 if it offers most of the same features as the Touring model.

I have a 2013 I4 with two-setting memory driver seat.

This was a 2013 Accord 4DR EX-L NAVI

It might be on the EX-L without NAVI, not sure.

persimmon_tree

Post by persimmon_tree » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm

I second replies to taking a look at the 2014 Accord Plug-In (first only available in CA and NY though).
In CA, there is also a $1500 CVRP rebate.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 pm

futureman wrote:I am thinking about buying a 2014 Honda Accord V6 as a commuter car (50-60 miles per day). USAA car buying service targets a purchase price if just under $32k. It appears to have great highway gas mileage for a V6 -34mpg, and to boot it takes regular gas. I need a quiet car though since I am hard of hearing.

Thanks you.

Consider checking out James Bragg's website and calling them with your questions. Consider buying his service. He's coached me and helped me get good deals on my last two new car purchases. http://www.fightingchance.com/
Here are some other boglehead discussions about James Bragg: https://www.google.com/search?q=james+b ... eheads.org

zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:14 pm

I have a 2013 EX-L V6 Honda Accord. I got 38 MPH on a recent long distance trip with AC. Plenty of power...probably the 4 cylinder would have been enough. Very nice car tho. The 0.9% financing was great. Got additional $500 off as repeat customer from the dealer. Another $500 off for financing. Was a bit shocked when it required 0 weight motor oil. The oil change cost $78 for all synthetic.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:35 am

zzcooper123 wrote:Was a bit shocked when it required 0 weight motor oil. The oil change cost $78 for all synthetic.

The manual for our new Honda Odyssey van recommends 0W-20 oil. 0W-20 is available only as a synthetic or synthetic/traditional blend. From my research on various auto forums, the trend towards 0W-20 and similar "0" weight oils is driven by manufacturers trying to meet CAFE fuel efficiency regulations to a far greater extent than engine lubrication/protection. Apparently, using 0-weight oil will achieve 0.1 to 0.2 more MPG on new vehicles. That increase is too small for individuals to measure or notice, but it might make a difference across a manufacturer's entire product line for CAFE purposes.

While I'm not an engine or motor oil expert, the discussions and papers I've read indicate that the "0" weight recommendation is just that - a recommendation, and that using more widely-available - and cheaper - 5W-20 or 5W-30 would do no harm and would not cause any warranty issues. Use this advise at your own risk, of course. But there's nothing miraculous in new engines to require 0-weight oil. It's driven by fuel efficiency regulations as well as steady technological improvements in motor oils that have resulted in lower-weight formulas. I suspect that 0-weight oils will become more common, but will also likely remain more expensive than higher-weight oils.
Last edited by deanbrew on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 am

You might want to try Truecar.com to see if they give you the best price. You need to know exactly what you want. If you change your mind on the lot, I would recommend leaving and using Truecar again to get a price on the car you liked that had different features from the one you originally got a quote for.

The Honda dealer I bought from wanted to add a trunk liner and anti-theft lug nuts at the last minute and this increased the final price. The trunk line is a nice feature I think, but it might be cheaper if you comparison shop, not sure.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 am

deanbrew wrote:
zzcooper123 wrote:Was a bit shocked when it required 0 weight motor oil. The oil change cost $78 for all synthetic.

The manual for our new Honda Odyssey van recommends 0W-20 oil. 0W-20 is available only as a synthetic or synthetic/traditional blend. From my research on various auto forums, the trend towards 0W-20 and similar "0" weight oils is driven by manufacturers trying to meet CAFE fuel efficiency regulations to a far greater extent than engine lubrication/protection. Apparently, using 0-weight oil will achieve 0.1 to 0.2 more MPG on new vehicles. That increase is too small for individuals to measure or notice, but it might make a difference across a manufacturer's entire product line for CAFE purposes.

While I'm not an engine or motor oil expert, the discussions and papers I've read indicate that the "0" weight recommendation is just that - a recommendation, and that using more widely-available - and cheaper - 5W-20 or 5W-30 would do no harm and would not cause any warranty issues. Use this advise at your own risk, of course. But there's nothing miraculous in new engines to require 0-weight oil. It's driven by fuel efficiency regulations as well as steady technological improvements in motor oils that have resulted in lower-weight formulas. I suspect that 0-weight oils will become more common, but will also likely remain more expensive than higher-weight oils.

Engines are built tighter today. 0w is an effort to reduce startup wear. A 0w-20 with function the same as a 5w-20 once warmed up. -20 is in response the tighter engine tolerances. Do what ever you want, a diy synthectic oil change special can be had for $30-40, even NAPA has their own house brand 0w-20 synthetic oil and oil filter for $20, I stocked up on 5 oil changes. Honda actually back dated 0w-20 some vehicles that came with 5w-20, mine is one of them and going forward will run 0w-20.

http://www.pinkbird.com/news.nsf/8d7e3f ... 20Come.pdf

tadamsmar wrote:
eharri3 wrote:If you drive gently the 4 will do better. If you are a leadfoot, you want the 6. It will strain less to accomplish the same things. Lower RPMs means better mpg.

The 2013 Accord high trims have an ECO button. You have to turn that off if you don't want a computer between your leadfoot and the fuel flow controller.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/environment.aspx: The ECON button comes standard on every Accord. I have found most auto sales people know nothing about the vehicles they are selling. They will exclaim it also includes a feature at a certain trim level that in actuality comes on all trim levels.

"From the manual:

The ECON button turns the ECON mode on and off.

The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel economy by adjusting the
performance of the engine, transmission, heating and cooling system/climate
control system, and cruise control."

We leave it on all the time in my wife's 2012 Civic.

Kulak

Post by Kulak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

futureman wrote:I need a quiet car though since I am hard of hearing.

I recently test-drove a bunch of sedans in that class, and I recall the Accord being significantly noisier (road/wind and engine) than the others. I drove both an I4 and a V6 and it was true of both, if I remember right. So if that's a big concern, also try the Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, etc. This is not a knock on Honda's build quality, which I consider second to none.
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern

mur44

Post by mur44 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:58 am

I am interested in buying a Honda Accord EX in Northern New Jersey area.

Which dealer offers the BEST price. If you bought one recently,
what is the 'Out of The Lot' price?

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 am

mur44 wrote:I am interested in buying a Honda Accord EX in Northern New Jersey area.

townhall-talk.edmunds.com: Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

http://truecar.com

MedicatedMoney

Post by MedicatedMoney » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 am

mur44 wrote:I am interested in buying a Honda Accord EX in Northern New Jersey area.

I recently purchased (March 2013) Honda Accord Sport from a dealer located in central PA for $20,982 plus tax and tags. I live in Philadelphia, and did a 100 mile radius search for the best price available. They were far away the best price for not only the Accord Sport but Accord EX. I went with the Sport because of the cost. Hope this helps.
-Medicated

opus360

Post by opus360 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:02 am

What did you (OP) end up getting?

Six

Post by Six » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Empoweryou » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:21 am
Honda has been having some problems with their Variable Cylinder Management(VCM) system on the V6. More specifically: oil consumption. There's a recall for several models. The repair is a little questionable too. There's a software update that's supposed to help which I assume changes how often and/or how long the engine stays in VCM mode. Staying in VCM mode is how it gets the reported mileage. If that doesn't help, then the repair is to re-ring the affected cylinders(cylinders# 1,2,3 and 4 only). VCM isn't offered for the I4. IMHO this seems a little goofy to me to overhaul only some of the engine. My 2 cents

I received information of a class action law suit involving the Variable Cylinder Management system on my wife's Honda 2010 V6. Honda has extended the warranties for all V6 models that use VCM. My understanding is that the VCM mode constantly turns on and off causing uneven wear of the engine rings and cylinders which cause excess oil consumption.

I drive Honda cars for many years before passing them on to my grand children. I was/am very dismayed about this engine problem equipped with V6s.

BTW, I am still driving an older 2005 Accord V6 with 140,000 miles and absolutely love the power, handling, and responsiveness. I still can't find another newer car I like better. It certainly has been trouble free.

Six