How many square feet is your home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
frugaltype

Re: How many square feet is your home?

Post by frugaltype » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm

About 1000 sq ft just for me. There's room I don't actually need.

Growing up, my parents, myself, and two sibs lived comfortably in about 1500 sq ft. We spent a lot more time with each other than seems common nowadays. No one was off in a corner with his or her face in a video game, or running around like crazy to after school stuff. One television.

Updated to add: there was a basement with laundry equipment and room for storing preserves. Plus it was half of a duplex with relatives living in the other half, so Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners were held with the connecting doors open.
Last edited by frugaltype on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:02 pm

1000 sqft bungalow with 3/1 for me, wife, 2 dogs and a cat (and hoping for a baby soon!). We do have a full basement and a garage plus a large amount of attic space (most of which is still unused) for storage. For us now it's plenty of space, and we like the small utility bills, smaller area to clean, etc (plus the smaller mortgage to match). Is it perfect? No...I wish we had more closet space and another bathroom (which we could add if we wanted to).

Our next door neighbors raised 2 kids up to ages ~8/10 ish in the same size house. We think we could do the same. We really love our house and our neighborhood. Plus it's held its value very well.

We host Thanksgiving every year for 15 or so people. That is the only time I wish we had more space. It's definitely cozy but we make it work! :happy

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:03 pm

abuss368 wrote:I am going to move into one of those 100 square foot "homes" that have been propping up on the Yahoo main pages over the last couple of months!
The Providence Arcade is being remodeled to have 225(?) sq ft rentals in downtown Providence. I kind of lust after one of those, but I'm not about to sell the "family home" I live in. Apparently they have a humongously long waiting list.
Last edited by frugaltype on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macmungo

Post by Macmungo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Two people, 2860 sq ft, and we use all of it. Two of the five upstairs rooms are heavily used home offices. The downstairs consists of three big spaces (not "rooms") that open into one another. We have been deaccessioning religiously for two years but the place still looks overfull. I like the light and the sense of spaciousness and will miss it, as well as the 1/5 acre grounds which I have labored on for over a dozen years and actually care more about than the house. The lantanas are in full flush, the hydrangeas are just fading, the last of the roses have just blossomed, and this week the camellias have begun the bloom that will last until after Christmas.
Last edited by Macmungo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Downsized in 2005, after our last child finished college.

Currently we live in a home with 1500 sq. ft., 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, plus living room, kitchen, laundry, etc. all on one level, which is plenty of room for the two of us.

In addition we do have a finished basement with additional bedroom, bathroom, and play space unused except for when the children and grandchildren visit.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Retread

Post by Retread » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:22 pm

4,250 square feet, just the two of us retired and we love it.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Retread wrote:4,250 square feet, just the two of us retired and we love it.
Bruce
good for you. the bogle rules say "live within your means" not "live an austere life."
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:50 pm

2000 sq ft
4 BR, 2 BA
2 Adults, 2 kids, 1 dog

sesq

Post by sesq » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

3k above grade + 600 finished below grade (walk out).

4 beds, 3.5 baths, 3 levels including basement, so 1 bath per level, plus master.
Me, my wife, 2 kids (8&5).

Basement is a playroom. We also have storage and a gym in unfinished space.
3 bedrooms are used by us. Last bed is guest room. Gets monthly use.
Living room office combo is lightly used. Dining room even less. Both of those could go (about 600 sq) with smart design.
3 car garage

We like it. With kids I get a lot of value out of bathrooms on every level.

To the OP - stay put till the second child or the first reaches school age. You may want to move for a school district or the like (which may evolve over time). No need to do it twice.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:06 pm

1950 sq. ft, 4 bedroom, 2 bath plus a 2 1/2 car garage on a half acre lot. (One bedroom is actually my man room/office and always has been.) Lived here 40 years, raised 2 kids, several pets, flowers, landscaping, etc. We are now empty nesters, except for our Old English Sheepdog and black cat....oh yeah my 20 year old goldfish in our front entrance pond. What I would like to have had all these years was more storage room, larger closets and bathrooms, but that isn't going to happen now..... (DW says that ain't goin' to happen, so fuggetabout it.)
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Based on the replies here, BHs (on average) live in homes that are larger than the average home!

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:32 pm

We've gone through three houses in our somewhat expensive CA location, that give some perspective on space and comfort choices.

House A: 998 sf, 3/1.5 We bought this house, knowing it was a bit small (with three kids), but challenged by high prices and high interest rates. We figured we would likely add ~400sf in a family room and master bath (commonly done with other houses in the neighborhood) in a couple of years. As we got to the point of doing the addition, limitations on how the house would scale up, combined with preference for a different school attendance district pushed into making the decision to sell and move to a larger house in a nearby area. The choice of expand or sell was not absolute, but a rising RE market and moderating interest rates gave flexibility. In one sense, buying this house was a mistake, but we were being cautious about how much mortgage we were biting off. On the other hand, sweat equity and a rising market gave us a lot more flexibility when we sold it in two years.

House B: 1540 sf, 4/2 We were actually looking for a somewhat larger house (1700-1800sf), but we really loved the location and lot for this one. An extra 200sf would have been nice in order to give a bit more space for master BR/BA and kitchen, but we had no regrets. Compared to the larger houses in our price range, we had larger lot, plenty of parking, and a feeling of being a bit back up and away from the street. The kids could easily walk to elementary, middle, and high schools.

House C: 3200 sf, 4/4 We bought this house when the last of our kids was a senior in HS. We set out to trade school-convenient location for view, and were really aiming for something more like 2000 sf. We'd looked for 6 months without coming up with anything we really liked. This one sat on the market overpriced for a year (we'd actually looked at it, but didn't consider it seriously because of the price). Seller (estate) finally decided "get it sold", and dropped the price almost $300K, and we jumped on it. Obviously a lot more house than we *need*, but we actually get surprisingly good use out of it. It gives us room to entertain large groups comfortably, and we also pack in a fair bit of family to stay on occasions. In a few years, we will likely downsize, but for now we really enjoy it.

Garco

Post by Garco » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:34 pm

We're still living in our "starter house" after 40 years. 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths. Total 1,775 sq. ft., not counting the finished basement, with a second fireplace.

This has been very adequate, well located, and we raised 2 kids in it. Had a 30 year mortgage, now paid off.

We were never tempted to expand the residence or to move. The latter is attributable in part to the stability of my job. Now that I'm on verge of retiring, we're thinking of relocating, perhaps to another city.

reisner

Post by reisner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm

For years we had a much-loved 1146 Square f00t, poorly designed (two pads, two foundations, seven roof peaks, three kinds of plumbing), too little storage even for us, only one bathroom, no attic, cellar or garage. Then we had 2000 with all of that extra plus a huge deck and we hated it. The ideal for one or two people like us would be as small as possible but containing: 1 1/2 baths, laundry, a coat closet and two six-foot closets, maybe a linen closet, a few built-ins, master bedroom and spare room with a sleeper sofa in it, a little office nook, high ceilings, maybe a carport and shed. I don't see why all that couldn't be fit into 1000 square feet of primary living space, but I have yet to find a plan that incorporates it all. If you do, please post it.

I think Suze Ormond and her pal live in an apt something like this.

The trouble is, if you go looking for small house plans, what you find out there is not 1950s average, but extreme super-tiny. Minimalism doesn't mean shrinking to the minimum, it means shrinking to just what you need.

Achelois

Post by Achelois » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

I have an 1800 sq ft, 3 BR, 2.5 bath house with finished bonus room and 2 car garage. Just me and my two dachshunds.

When I was growing up, we lived in a 3BR, one bath house of less than1000 sq ft: seven kids, two parents.

retiredtom

Post by retiredtom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:26 pm

We are retired and live in Arizona. 2000 sq.ft. 3 BR. 2 bath. 2 car garage. One bedroom is my "Man Cave" which the grand kids takeover when they come down. They love having a TV in their bedroom and the "magic futon". Open floor plan which is ideal for entertaining up to about 14 people. We have a NE facing patio which is perfect to avoid the hot afternoon AZ sun. Perfect size for us and our retired lifestyle.

skylar

Post by skylar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

700sf for my wife and me. We don't have a lot of stuff, nor do we have desire for lots of stuff. Living simply lets us live close to work and get by without a car too.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 pm

2600 sq. ft.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

John3754

Post by John3754 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:48 pm

I owned an 1860 sq ft 3 bdrm house, which was too much for me and the wife, so we downsized to a 970 sq ft 2 bdrm apartment, and it's still too much. My goal is to get rid of as much stuff as possible and downsize further.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 pm

4700 sq ft . 4 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms.
2 adults and 2 cats.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, we upgraded from 1600 to something almost 3 times the size. It's great when we've entertained up to 20 for a week at a time (we did this twice last year, her family and then mine), but it's at least 1/3 bigger than we could justify just based on the size of our family. I have an oversized 3 car garage and wish that was bigger though....

It might not be "bogleheadish" but we can afford it and it's a nice luxury we value highly.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Mid-3,000 sq ft. for the four of us. That is small to average for our area. I suspect once the kids move out, our parents will move in, so we'll probably keep it even though taxes and utilities would be less if we moved to something smaller.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 pm

“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

CA Boomer

Post by CA Boomer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 pm

We have lived in 1700 SF (3BR 2.5 BA) and 2800 SF (4 BR 2.5 BA) houses in CA and then moved to Texas for 3 years into a 3,800 SF (4BR 3.5 BA + bonus room) house. You can really live large in Texas. But what a lot of maintenance - outside and inside (and a big business friendly - consumer & environmentally unfriendly state). Have since moved back to CA, in Santa Monica, extremely high cost area and now rent a 950 SF (2BR 1BA) house for $3,000 per month. Our fat brick house in the best school district in Tarrant County (Southlake, by Fort Worth) was only $2k per month to own ($500k). That $500k will buy a newer 1BR 1BA or older 2BR 1BA condo in Santa Monica. But the point is we learned we (husband, wife & 3 kids) could live with less space and 'stuff'' and enjoy life more. It is liberating to downsize in a big way. We each had to give away 4-5 boxes of clothing and roomsfull of furniture. OK, one of our brood is in college locally and mostly stays with her BF but some nights we all five sleep here. The three kids (21, 19 and 13) share one bedroom and it works just fine. We miss the pride of ownership and the mortgage interest deductions. We got fairly creamed on income taxes this year, but we would do it again. Remember, life is a lease, negotiate well.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:51 pm

2,604 sq. ft -- 4 BR, 3 BA, 3 CG. Two of us. The dining room is used twice a year, two bedrooms totally unused (but furnished), one garage bay available for the car, junk in the other bays.

I am still ahead of the game. Down-sized from 4,400 sq. ft -- 5 BR + mother-in-law suite, 4-1/2 BA, 3 CG + full basement. At least there, two bays of the garage were available for cars.

I grew up in a place that was 760 sq. ft - 3 BR, 1 BA, no garage. Mom, dad and three kids. The eat-in kitchen was considerably smaller than my present dining room. I have no idea how my mom managed - especially when we had company for Thanksgiving. :D

If I weren't so lazy, I would move to a smaller place.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Fun and interesting post.

1. First home, IL, 950sqf, no kids, lived there for 17 years (two kids arrived in last four years)

2. 2nd home, IL, 2,000sqf, two growing kids, lived there 10 years.

3. 3rd home, IL, 3000sqf, one kid joined Marines,lived there 8 years.

4. 4th home, Mesa, AZ, 1600sqf, no kids, happy as the cactus outside my window!

Hmmm, seems like circle doesn't it? :shock:
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 pm

I live in a 250 sq ft studio apartment in NYC.

That is not a typo.

I am single, no kids, and decided a long time ago to forego a larger home so that I could save money quickly and achieve financial independence at a young age. I retired 2 years ago at age 47.

Since I am free from work I am considering relocation. I haven't decided where to move yet, but the sale of my little room in NYC will provide sufficient cash to purchase a nice 2 bedroom condo or townhouse in virtually any other part of the country.

Patricio

Post by Patricio » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Three years ago when the kid was away in college we downsized from 965 sq. ft. to 625 sq. ft., which pissed him off to no end because now when he visits he's got to sleep on the couch.

But like I said to him: Hey, deal with it.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 am

2200 sf, 3 br, 2 baths (full but small), in a small town in the Southeast. Single story with crawl space, and unfinished attic accessible only with a fold-down ladder in the hall.

This is our first and only house, for 25 years so far. No kids. We bought it from the original owner, who had it built about 50 years ago.

The mortgage is paid off. Total cost for utilities, taxes and insurance is about $5K per year. Last year we replaced the furnace and AC for about $7K.

When we're both completely retired in 3-5 years, we might consider relocating, but we've had no thoughts about doing that.
Last edited by 22twain on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 am

a little over 3500 sq ft, 2 adults, 2 cats, 1 kid half the week.

It doesn't feel too big to me. I like the size.

Yipee-Ki-O

Post by Yipee-Ki-O » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 am

1050. A condo. Actually, it's the middle unit of a triplex with an attached 2-car garage but legally designated as a condo. I'm in the middle unit which is ok at present as owners on both sides are quiet. I did have a miserable year some years ago when a previous owner on one side allowed his high school age son and friends to live in his unit when he moved back to his home country. I just about went nuts. Homicidally nuts! Fortunately he sold during the bubble to a quiet single woman who overpaid so she won't be moving anytime soon. If she ever does I'll either move or invest heavily in soundproofing. Cheap living, total expenses--tax, utilities, insurance, etc--less than $400 a month. At present looking to rent part of the year somewhere in the mountains and maintain this as a home base.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:08 am

reisner wrote:I don't see why all that couldn't be fit into 1000 square feet of primary living space, but I have yet to find a plan that incorporates it all. If you do, please post it.
Take a look at the Not So Big House book series.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:35 am

EmergDoc wrote:Well, we upgraded from 1600 to something almost 3 times the size. It's great when we've entertained up to 20 for a week at a time (we did this twice last year, her family and then mine), but it's at least 1/3 bigger than we could justify just based on the size of our family. I have an oversized 3 car garage and wish that was bigger though....

It might not be "bogleheadish" but we can afford it and it's a nice luxury we value highly.
This is almost exactly our situation. We started looking earlier this year for something in the 3000 sf range and wound up at almost 6000 sq. ft. after we found a great deal. Sure do hate paying to heat and cool all this space though.

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 am

We live in NJ, just about 12 miles southwest of Great Adventure. The 2 main levels are 4600 sq/ft and there is a fully finished basement of 1200 sq/ft. My Mother-in-Law used to live down in the basement but she has now moved elsewhere so the downstairs is a playroom and a partially finished man-cave including kitchen. I have 2 boys and an energetic lovable Pit-Bull. Needless to say the place is way to big for my tastes. Its great for entertaining but how often does that happen? We have been considering moving for about a year but real estate is not moving fast in the 600k+ range. My preference is for about 2500-3000k which was the size of my first house across town. And taxes are a killer in this state!

AustenNut

Post by AustenNut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:42 am

We live in a 1300sf, 2BR/1BA place. We also use a shed in the backyard that's about the size of a one-car garage. Currently, it's just the two of us but if we have kids we're not planning on moving. We'll turn the breakfast room into a keeping room/den where the occasional guest will stay, and the dining room will be the only eating location.

There is another 1300sf lower level (it's a ground-level basement...all rooms have windows, but the ceilings are really low). About 870sf of that is rented out ($900/month) and we're finishing the other 330sf to rent it out as well (projected to rent out for $600/month).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 am

Roughly 5000SF -- 5 BR and 6 baths (only one bathtub, the rest have showers) for the 4 of us (soon to be 3 and then 2 in a couple more years) plus 2 cats and 2 dogs.

My wife grew up in a house with 4 siblings and one shower for the kids. When you ran the kitchen sink, anyone showering was scalded. She told me that she didn't care about closet space, high ceilings, marble anything, but that everyone in the house (plus guests) would be able to shower at the same time and not run out of hot water. And, when we doubled the size of our home (a 1920's Tudor) in two renovations, we added en-suite bathrooms for all but one bedroom (which has a BR across the hall), and hot water heaters fit for an Army barracks. The heart wants what the heart wants.

I love this home, but we'll probably leave when the kids are out and my wife no longer commutes into NYC. We can probably afford the property tax, but it's crazy to spend it if you don't have to.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 am

Lived in houses of various sizes -- 950 sf, 1500 sf, and now 2700 sf, much of which isn't used. One kid (of two) has left home. When the Mrs. And I are back to being a couple, we will downsize again. 1500 sf would be about right.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 am

Before: 4000 sq ft for 2
Later: 4000 sq ft for 1
Now: 2000 sq ft for 1

I think 2000 sq ft per person is about right. Anything less is crowded. I mean, how do you get away from your spouse and kids? Go to a bar?

And where do you put your mother-in-law?

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 am

mathwhiz wrote:larger maintenance bills, utilities, property taxes goes along with a bigger property. And I'm afraid a bigger house will mean more "stuff" we have to buy.
7,000 square feet. But after living in it for 10 years we are selling it and downsizing in order to avoid exactly all of the headaches you mentioned above.

Cheers,
Fred

zagyzebra

Post by zagyzebra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 am

I think the feel of an expansive home is a lot more important than sq ftg, such as ceiling height and and open flow. Currently I am renting while my own home (1500 sq ft, 3 br/2 ba) is being rehabbed. Next to my rental is a two-story monster. I'd say less than 15% of that house is occupied most of the time (judging from the lights on at night), while all 900 sq ft of my rental is utilized fully.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 am

sscritic wrote:I think 2000 sq ft per person is about right. Anything less is crowded. I mean, how do you get away from your spouse and kids? Go to a bar?
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not...but if it's not...I think it's WAY off from what many out there would consider to be "enough space" without feeling crowded by their spouse or kids.

I'm pretty sure I would absolutely HATE having a 4000 sqft house for just my wife and I.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:26 am

guitarguy wrote:
sscritic wrote:I think 2000 sq ft per person is about right. Anything less is crowded. I mean, how do you get away from your spouse and kids? Go to a bar?
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not...but if it's not...I think it's WAY off from what many out there would consider to be "enough space" without feeling crowded by their spouse or kids.

I'm pretty sure I would absolutely HATE having a 4000 sqft house for just my wife and I.
It depends on what you do with the space and your lifestyle. If you have family and friends staying over a lot, you'll probably want to have more bedrooms and bathrooms. If you and your wife each want to have a separate office in the house, a dedicated media room, a nice gaming area with pool table and the like and a couple of extra bedrooms for your guests, a 4,000 sq. ft. house is actually not all that big for all that.

We know quite a few couples with 1-3 kids who have 6,000 sq. ft. to 10,000 sq. ft. of living space (when you count finished basements) and are quite happy with it.

As for costs, while in general larger houses are more expensive to maintain, you may actually be surprised to find out that a spacious and well built house can have similar or even lower maintenance and utility costs than a house that's half the size. It's obviously true that a larger house doesn't necessarily mean that it's built well, just like there's nothing out there preventing smaller houses from being built well. It is just that as a practical matter, most smaller houses are built as "budget" options, while many larger houses are built on larger budgets, which allows them to incorporate things in them that may cost more up front but in the long run will also save money.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:40 am

5000 sq ft.

3 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs--for 2 kids and guests (acutally thought we might have 3rd kid before the 2nd came along!).
Master bed/bath on main floor, with kitchen, living, dining, office, laundry room, and 1/2 bath.
Half of basement is finished with a full bath, Half storage.

I love having all the main living stuff for me on the main floor, and the kids upstairs.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am

In the last decade or so, we've gone from 1900 (4 bedroom 2 baths) to 1500 (2 bedroom 2 bath) to 2500 (4 bedroom 3 bath). Last weekend, visited two friends who bought houses recently. One went from 1800 (2 bedroom 2 bath) to 3300 (5 bedroom 3 bath) and the other went from 2000 (4 bedroom 2 bath) to 3400 (5 bedroom 3 bath). Another friend who is currently in a 2500 (4 bedroom 2 bath) house is building a 4200 (5 bedroom 3 bath) house. Even though I was personally more than satisfied with our 1500 sq ft home, I would be lying if I said that visiting those two big houses last weekend did not give me house envy!! :oops:

gator15

Post by gator15 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 pm

My wife, child and I live in a 2200 sf house. The home has 4BD (master, kid's room, guest room, office), 2.5BA, a finished basement we use as the family room/gym and we have a two car garage. We actually use every room in our house which we never did when we rented houses. We love the house, the neighborhood, and the school district. Though I can certainly afford it, I'm still adjusting to the mortgage payments. I have a condo I rent that's 1400 sf and has 3BD, 3BA. If I don't sell the condo I can downsize to the condo if I get tired of the mortgage payments. The condo is also in a great neighborhood and school district and the payment is less than half of what I pay now. The layout isn't ideal though.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 pm

A tad under 5k sqft. For 2 adults, 3 cats…. It is about twice as big as we wanted, but it was such a deal that we had to buy it! No real regrets.

It seems large at times, but my wife started an online reselling business a few years ago, and now almost half our house is used as office/packaging, and warehousing/inventory (we even have boxes of stuff stacked in some of the hallways!). That all gets deducted as home office expense.

Yes, taxes are higher, though not by much (mostly due to quirky local laws). The biggest downsides, IMO, are extra time and costs for cleaning, painting, maintenance, etc. But they don’t scale linearly, so again, it doesn’t cost as much extra as you might imagine.

And I agree with the other poster above that heating/cooling costs don’t scale linearly either. Our heating and cooling bills are almost identical to our earlier costs in a 1500 sqft house.

But the perk I enjoy the most is that it’s located on 12 secluded acres, so we have near complete privacy. That’s one reason we scooped up this property when we had the chance, even though the house seemed “too big” at the time.
BH87

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Very interesting thread and a lot of opinions on what is the "right" size. I still stand by my earlier post that design matters over size.

Our first house was a 2/1 at 800sq feet. It was built like a sailboat in the sense that it had many clever storage solutions (some put in by me). We lived there for all of medical school, residency, and fellowship. It allowed us to live comfortably until we had our 3rd child, then it began getting a little tight. With the 4th, we were running out of places to stash all the kid clutter. However, at $43,000 and annual taxes of $170, it was a great starter home and was considerably cheaper than renting. Sold for a $15,000 profit.

Second house was 2050 sq feet. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to look for housing when we moved so we took the first reasonable house we came upon. Typical 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath. However it was laid out terribly with a lot of the spaces being chopped up and it felt just as cramped as our first house. Sold for a $22,000 loss.

Current house was a short sale we picked up 3 years ago. 4100 sq feet including finished basement and bonus room above garage. Good balance between living space and storage. 2 adults, 8 children. We converted a garage workshop into a mudroom to handle all the shoes and coats. The house still feels a bit large but I'm sure we'll grow into it.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm

2150 sf, 4BR, 2.5BA. Plus full soon-to-be-finished basement and 2 car garage. 2 adults, 2 babies, and a dog.

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:42 pm

A house can be so much more than size and cost. My wife and I were both raised in similar very small homes and each had lots of siblings with one shared bathroom for entire family. When raising our three kids we stretched to limit for 4,750sf house with 5 bedrooms and 6 baths. That was over 20 years ago. Our youngest now in college. We have far more room and expense than need but will probably never sell house, too many good memories and we are in fortunate financial position to afford expense. In fact bought and demolished neighbor's old house in rear to make larger yard and garden area. Hard to consider selling when like neighborhood and kid's growth markings in closets. Now baby proofing again for visits of first grandchild.

reisner

Post by reisner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

frugaltype wrote:
reisner wrote:I don't see why all that couldn't be fit into 1000 square feet of primary living space, but I have yet to find a plan that incorporates it all. If you do, please post it.
Take a look at the Not So Big House book series.
Sarah Susanquah has many interesting ideas, but the houses she features tend to top 2000 square feet, and certainly come nowhere near 1000.