Vacuum Cleaner Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abonder

Vacuum Cleaner Question

Post by abonder » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I had a quick question I wanted to throw out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a smallish vacuum cleaner that would work on both hardwood and carpets? I'm looking for something with a relatively small footprint for our smallish apartment. I've read the ratings on consumer reports but I feel conflicted bc many of the highly recommended models have very bad customer reviews (both on the CR website and on other websites that allow for consumer feedback). I have a really difficult time interpreting the information when there's so much conflicting data. Prior to the abundance of readily-available consumer feedback, I would put more faith in hoe CR ratings but now my confidence is somewhat undermined. I just thought I'd see if the bogleheads have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for the insights.

Marmot

I love Dyson

Post by Marmot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Expensive, but made to last.

kenyan

Re: Vacuum Cleaner Question

Post by kenyan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Take a look at the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro. Smaller side (something like 15 lbs), extremely maneuverable and flexible, and comes with a nice hardwood floor attachment that attaches a microfiber pad to it. Much cheaper than a Dyson, but uses the same technology. Can't speak to whether one is better than the other, as I haven't used a Dyson, but I'm extremely pleased with this vacuum. Our new house is 100% hardwood/hard floor, and I'm still using it to great effect. I combine it with a quick midweek dust mopping to keep our hardwood under control (can be tough, as we mostly walk around barefoot and any grime will quickly show on the bottoms of our feet).
Retirement investing is a marathon.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Very happy with Miele Delphi. A plastic piece broke on the wand after a year and the store replaced the wand no questions asked.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Abonder,

Are you looking for and upright or canister type unit? I suspect the upright and would highly recommend the Miele Jazz. I bought one two years ago to handle the first floor hardwood flooring with some area rugs in three rooms and the second floor wall to wall carpeting. I do the vacuuming for my 78 year-old wife (she has limited hand strength) and it is great for both conditions. All Miele units have the same basic motor and only the accessories are different. The suction strength is highly adjustable as is the height. One thing I would recommend is a unit that has the headlight (LED). I continue to be amazed at how much small stuff is left on the hardwood even after she uses a Swifter. I leave the room lights off and the LED headlight clearly shows what was left behind by the Swifter. Go to a Miele dealer who sells and services them and you will most likely get the same pricing that can be found online, but you'll have a good contact for any questions and repairs if ever needed. They usually stand behind their Miele products.
Last edited by tomd37 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.

Murray Boyd

Post by Murray Boyd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Another vote for Miele. They're reliable, powerful, well-designed, and very quiet. I'd rather have a german-engineered luxury vacuum than a german-engineered luxury car. The only bad thing is they have a million models to choose from.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:27 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (vacuum cleaner).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abonder

Post by abonder » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard a lot of positive things about the Miele models; the only downside is that they aren't inexpensive. Although I am willing to spend the money for something functional and reliable. Id like an option that takes up minimal space (either upright or canister). Does anyone have a specific recommendation that would fit that bill? Thanks again.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 am

I've been very happy with my Shark Navigator. The cleaning is phenomenal, and they have a 5 year warranty. I called them to price a new lower unit that hadn't worked in a few months, was surprised that it was still under warranty at 4yrs and 10 months. They shipped it to me (fast), and I didn't have to ship anything back or pay anything - they just took my word for it, this was for an $80 part.

I've never owned a Dyson, but the Shark vacuums like I imagined a Dyson would. While I have gotten the impression that it isn't as sturdily built as a Dyson, the price difference seems to make up for this observation. We also have a pet hair attachment that we love for the stairs and cars.

My father-in-law bought one after my wife brought ours over to help him clean his house (he can't always clean physically) - he thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread for a house full of cats. We got 5 full canisters of pet hair, dirt, and dust out of his living room carpet right after a normal vacuum had been over it 3x.

The only thing I would recommend is monthly cleaning of the various filters - it seems to get warm if we let them get very dusty (the ones inside the canister - but pay attention to the little front filter under the panel too).

They are pretty small too, and they have a hardwood floor setting that has plenty of suction - it doesn't scatter dirt like other vacuums (a tiny bit in the front, that design may have been fixed in newer models).

Miele and Dyson do make quality products - the Mieles also seem to be built like tanks. You do pay for it. My wife always wanted a Dyson (I already had the Shark), after using the Shark in our 2k sqft condo - she no longer wanted one.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 am

We use a Shark and while there are a couple small things we wish it did/had overall we are happy with it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 am

I looked at the reviews for the Shark on Amazon. Good pictures of its use. It is unusual to find so many 5 star versus 1 stars. Over 800 reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Navigator-P ... t-Away+Pro

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

I stopped vacuuming or mopping my floors (all wood and tile) since I bought a robot. Now I have time to waste doing stuff like this. I've turned into an acolyte. Plus, they are no more expensive....maybe cheaper....than a good vacuum cleaner.