Dog can't walk on hardwood floors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Copernicus

Dog can't walk on hardwood floors

Post by Copernicus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 pm

I have an 15-year old mutt, rescued, with short legs like a dachshund. We changed over from carpets to hardwood floors. He slips on the floor, and can not walk when he is tired or when arthritis flares up. Even then, he does fine on the deck or backyard. Vet says this happens on hardwood floors.

Tried socks with grip bottom, but they slip off his short legs. Looking for a way to put on something with a grip for his feet. Please comment if you have a similar experience or suggest ideas.

livesoft

Re: Dog can't walk on hardwood floors

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:07 pm

I saw a dog with plastic painted on its nails to prevent scratching hardware floors. Maybe that provides grip, too?
This seems to be the idea: http://www.softclaws.com/soft_claws_dogs/home.html
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm

How about some cheap area rugs and throw rugs?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 pm

These seem to be more designed to grip the floor than the above,which seem more decorative.

http://www.toegrips.com/how-it-works/

These stick k to the dogs paw pad, but I would worry that they would cause irritation.
http://www.puppylovepawpads.com/

Mike

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Copernicus wrote:I have an 15-year old mutt, rescued, with short legs like a dachshund. We changed over from carpets to hardwood floors. He slips on the floor, and can not walk when he is tired or when arthritis flares up. Even then, he does fine on the deck or backyard. Vet says this happens on hardwood floors.

Tried socks with grip bottom, but they slip off his short legs. Looking for a way to put on something with a grip for his feet. Please comment if you have a similar experience or suggest ideas.

Our dachshund had back surgery when a few years old so he wouldn't have his back legs paralyzed because of nerve damage. He is now 14 but has never been able to walk on hardwood or slippery floors for any distance. We bought a number of area rugs, plus part of the house is carpeted. This way he only has a few feet between rugs and does just fine. This has worked well for us.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Do you need to trim his nails and the fur between his pads (if the fur is preventing the pad from making direct contact to the floor)?
We have to do that about once per month.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 pm

I had this issue with my 15 yr old Lab mix who had a degenerative spinal condition which caused progressive hindlimb muscle atrophy. I bought a bunch of cheap carpet remnants, which solved the problem. Note that I live in an apt so it wasn't too costly to cover the floor in all rooms.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:22 pm

travellight wrote:How about some cheap area rugs and throw rugs?

+1 Within 2 days the dog will be walking on the rugs. Put Long rugs along the dog's favorite paths (e.g. from the dog bed to the front door) and your dog will thank you.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 pm

DVMResident wrote:

+1 Within 2 days the dog will be walking on the rugs. Put Long rugs along the dog's favorite paths (e.g. from the dog bed to the front door) and your dog will thank you.

Yes, you can get some long runners, and put them along the paths your dog uses or is likely to need to use.

Can you use some sort of double-sided tape, or a foam waffle-style pad that has some "stickiness" to it, to help prevent the runners from slipping? That way the dog will have as secure a sense as possible without the runners slipping around. (But check with a flooring professional about what products won't leave stains or marks on the nice wood floors after an extended time.)

Does the dog need any a few steps or ramps to get to any furniture it is allowed on, or into the car? There are a variety of carpeted versions of these.

Good luck with making your furry friend comfortable!

RM

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:11 pm

To everyone, Thank you for your responses!
The suggestion of putting rugs/ runners for him to walk on makes complete sense. Its doable since I have a small, 2000 sq ft home!
The idea of the nail rings and sticky pads are also very good. I did not know of those products. I will save that info.
About trimming the fur growing between his 'toes': He has some cocker spaniel in him, so the fur grows very fast. I trim it every 10 days or so and that helps also.

Thank you all again on behalf of me and my buddy!

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:00 pm

My brother's dog wouldn't walk on wood floors after a bad slip. They put down a bunch of runners so he could navigate the house. He was happy.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 pm

In terms of foot maintenance, you can also roughen up the pads (for better traction) by taking them on walks.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:04 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Does the dog need any a few steps or ramps to get to any furniture it is allowed on, or into the car? There are a variety of carpeted versions of these.

+1 to the rugs and the above suggestion also. I got those carpet covered boxes to put next to the sofa, the bed, and other furniture for my older cats.

Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 am

"Cheap area rugs" are a terrible idea. You will slip and break hip with those type things. Get good rubber backed runners thru area the pup wants to go and he/she will learn the pathways quickly and will love you for attending to its needs!
Dan-Fl

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:30 am

I have a large Golden and my hardwood floors take a real beating with his claws even though they are clipped frequently. He also slips around on the hardwood floors and I do cut the hair on his foot pads.

I discovered at a local home improvement big box store that you can buy their floor carpet (on the big rolls) cut in 2' to 2 1/2' strips (width of runners) that are 12' - 15' long cheaper than buying individual runners when addressing a long hallway or other long runs of hardwood flooring.

I bought a 2 1/2' x 15' plush carpet as a runner for $44.00 unbound. To have it bound would have been another $57. I opted to just clean cut the edges and go unbound. The only other thing I did was add a gripper pad between the carpet and the floor and it stays right where it should.

Thought I would share my adventure into finding floor runners that don't cost a fortune.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:06 pm

We had poodle that was the opposite - would not walk on rugs for some reason but nothing physical.

For your little one I would suggest some of those "waffle padding" - used under throw rugs to keep them from slipping. It is cheap but if you can get long enough pieces at HD or Lowes they would sure work.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Im am the OP. Interesting, low-cost option:
Wife found inexpensive exercise/yoga mats made of rubber in Ross for less than $10 each. The dog does not have to walk on hardwood floors more than a couple feet, mats are easy to clean or hose down, easily portable, don't soil easily. Problem solved!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Sounds like you've solved your problem, but I thought I'd throw out one more idea. There are products that are made for show dogs that make their pads "grippier" so they are sure-footed in the show ring. I've never used any, but if you google something like show dog paw grip you'll find a variety of products to choose from.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
DVMResident wrote:

Yes, you can get some long runners, and put them along the paths your dog uses or is likely to need to use.

Can you use some sort of double-sided tape, or a foam waffle-style pad that has some "stickiness" to it, to help prevent the runners from slipping? That way the dog will have as secure a sense as possible without the runners slipping around. (But check with a flooring professional about what products won't leave stains or marks on the nice wood floors after an extended time.)

This is what my aunt did for her older dogs when they needed help on the hardwood floor in her large living room and it worked well. She always had dogs, so I'm not certain if the backing on the rugs damaged the flooring.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am

Looks like you find a good solution but you might consider shoes compared to socks if you need something more like these:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3

Copernicus

Post by Copernicus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

retiredjg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Sounds like you've solved your problem, but I thought I'd throw out one more idea. There are products that are made for show dogs that make their pads "grippier" so they are sure-footed in the show ring. I've never used any, but if you google something like show dog paw grip you'll find a variety of products to choose from.

Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:Looks like you find a good solution but you might consider shoes compared to socks if you need something more like these:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3

Thank you for both suggestions! These are wonderful ideas! I had searched the Web quite a bit, but never found this ruffwear.com site!
Thanks!

tschaefges

Post by tschaefges » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:01 pm

We've used a product called "Paw Pads" that are little traction pads that stick to the toes and heel pad on the dog's foot when our older Labradors have had problems with traction. They are very effective on hardwood floors. There's a picture of them on this page: http://pupgearcorporation.com/products/Paw-Pads

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:46 pm

We have hardwood floors and large area rugs. A few weeks ago, our dog ran excitedly when I got home and did a quick turn on one of the rugs and YIPED ( tore her ACL) She is 9 and not a good surgery candidate so we bought her some braces that seem to help. I don't think this could have happened on hardwood floors but still could happen chasing a squirrel in the back yard.