Weight Loss Plans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rayout

Re: Weight Loss Plans?

Post by rayout » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:24 am

Pick a diet you and stick with it and stick with it. To be honest any diet that greatly limits sugar and alcohol intake and focuses on whole foods should do the trick. For me that means a low carb, high fat diet (i.e. mostly meats and veggies) with no calorie counting/restriction. I've added more carbs in since I was more active in the summer but I will probably be cutting back in the colder months. I had no issues with cholesterol profile after pursuing this diet (it improved my profile and lowered my blood pressure) but there can always be mitigating health circumstances so check in with a health care professional before and after you try it so you can see how it affects your body.

On the exercise front, a body weight resistance training regimen is big for me - you don't have to commit much time or money to it. I just have a pull up bar. Great way to loosen up after a stressful day at work and there's no excuse for "not hitting the gym" since its my living room! Also if your weight loss goal is also for aesthetic reasons like mine, resistance training will help you look better since increased muscle mass with help fill out saggy skin. Just be careful since muscle gain can overwhelm fat loss on the scale especially when weight loss slows closer to your goal, take measurements around your waistline instead.

That said, I would not leave out cardio. Swimming once a week was a great addition to my routine. It is low impact and a good mix of aerobic and anaerobic exercise that involves your whole body. If you've lost quite a bit of weight I recommend you hit the pool to see how it has affected your ability to swim. I had to take classes this summer since my form and technique were so poor from relying on the flotation effect of the excess body fat which I had lost.

plato's caveman

Post by plato's caveman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Minot wrote:
plato's caveman wrote:I have a friend who fought muay Thai for 9 years and he swears that most of life is "mental." I believe him. At some point, we have to choose between being healthier whether or not we feel good/understood/validated along the way, and being healthier only if we feel good/understood/validated along the way. If we choose the first option, then it won't matter where true / good advice is coming from. It will be true, good, and by definition, helpful. Of course, the same goes for financial health.
And what kinds of input might make it more likely that we choose the first option?
My guess is that at least some of what is helpful for you may not be helpful for me, and visa versa.
I happen to be someone who thinks "eat less, exercise more" is always helpful because it's true. But I think I get your point. I have an obese friend who's sitting and eating himself to an early death whom I've invited repeatedly to exercise with me. Always inviting him gently without making a big deal of it. Always in vain. Always excuses. He's no dummy, so he knows about "eat less, exercise more." He knows it's true. But it's not "helpful" to him. Yet the problem is obviously not with me or the advice or my very gentle invitations. The problem is WITH HIM.

At first I didn't get it. Then it dawned on me that it's more important to him to feel validated, to not feel bad, than to get healthy. It's more important to him to not suffer, to be comfortable, than to get off the early train to death. At which point I told myself he needs a shrink before he needs a gentle friend inviting him to exercise. After all, what sort of exercise plan involves no suffering, no sacrifices, no resistance, no commitment, and no sweat? Now ask a professional Thai boxer whether or not he minds a little suffering....

I once asked this friend if he ever watched "The Biggest Loser." He told me no, because all those people getting healthy "depressed" him. People losing half their body weight "depress" him. Huh? I felt like asking him "why is it that you're always hung up about your feelings?" The upshot is that he prefers "feeling happy and comfortable" to accepting the sad truth that he's lazy and a coward and dying and an irresponsible family man for ignoring his health. It's as if he's got the mental strength of a gnat. The one thing I fear will shake him out of complacency is a stroke or a heart attack.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 pm

plato's caveman wrote:the sad truth that he's lazy and a coward and dying and an irresponsible family man for ignoring his health. It's as if he's got the mental strength of a gnat.
Is there any chance that he doesn't want to exercise with you because he might have somehow gotten the sense that you don't like him or respect him?

plato's caveman

Post by plato's caveman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:15 pm

FedGuy wrote:
plato's caveman wrote:the sad truth that he's lazy and a coward and dying and an irresponsible family man for ignoring his health. It's as if he's got the mental strength of a gnat.
Is there any chance that he doesn't want to exercise with you because he might have somehow gotten the sense that you don't like him or respect him?
Is it impossible for me to think he's lazy and cowardly -- i.e. to describe him truthfully -- and be his loyal friend at the same time? If I were lazy and in denial, I'd expect my true friends to tell me I was lazy, to tell me the truth. We're good friends and get along great. Moreover, I like him a lot and care about his family and his well being. The truth is that he won't exercise with me because he won't exercise period. I once asked him to go sledding with our kids at a local hill and he said no. He told me he'd rather drive around a local field on his ATV while towing his kid on a sled, inhaling combustion fumes and all....

Maybe he feels athletically inferior to me and that makes him feel bad. Which brings us back to his fixation on his feelings. Which is really the point: are we going to be the kind of people who fixate on feelings or are we going to do the hard, sacrificial, disciplined, necessary work regardless of our feelings, regardless of feeling inadequate, whether it be budgeting, making sacrifices, saving, investing, saying no to Taco Bell, or breaking a sweat?

I sincerely apologize for sounding desperate, but I fear one day I'll wake up to find him in a hospital bed recovering from a stroke, his family struggling because he's a poor saver to boot.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 am

I did not see this one posted yet,

I like myfitnesspal.com , you track you daily intake, set goals, add you own recipes, store food, daily exercise etc.

In a nut shell you use the site page to reprogram yourself what's good/bad etc. I lost a good 40lbs about 4 years ago and gained 15 back to date, just went to the site to relearn myself again starting last week. The exercise part stuck with me for the past 4 years but I admit I just love to eat.

You are looking for a life style change no matter how you look at it. I never thought I would like the exercise part of it but its something I really look forward to everyday. If I did not have a full time job and busy kids I would exercise 2-3 hours a day, long walks, bikes rides etc. For now I set aside an hour a day for myself to exercise, it can post a challenge at times to work it in.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

plato's caveman

Post by plato's caveman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:08 am

Recently spotted on a wall at a CrossFit gym:

By entering here, you agree to give 100% of what you have. There are no excuses or second chances. Every day, every moment is an opportunity to excel, to be more, to achieve your best. Do not squander your time by going through the motions. Train hard and get results. At the end of the day, look in the mirror and ask yourself if you gave your all. If you don’t have that level of commitment, don’t waste your time or ours.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm

This, using another way of expressing it, what I did:

1. After a "wakeup call" that, having moved into the "obese" category, I decided I needed to lose weight (as well as eat better). While not specific to amount of weight loss, nonetheless "losing weight" was a defined goal.
2. Should I "hire" an adviser (and pay "management costs") to meet my goal? Or should I pick a low cost approach? I chose to pick the "low cost" approach and not pay for an adviser. I was not convinced that an "adviser" added value. I spent just a few dollars on several books on the subject.
3. Should I pick "active management" of my plan, or a "passive" approach"? Not being either a medical or nutritional professional, I chose a more "passive" approach - guided by general principles that had documented credibility.
4. Was there some sort of "indexed" approach that would further the passive approach? The problem with an index of all North Americans my age/sex was that, on average, this group was overweight/obese. I decided that the elderly, healthy Okinawans would make a good "index" to model (as practical in North America)
5. Diversification was vital. I "diversified" with large variety of healthful foods, several kinds of exercise (no type of exercise - except some walking - done on successive days) and schedules.
6. Think "long term". I discarded foods, exercise, and other things that would only have short term results. I aimed for doing things that could be continued for the rest of my life.
7. Tracking. I measure and record performance of weight, exercises done and duration, etc. each day.
8. I resisted and still resist those proposing hiring an adviser and claiming the performance advantage of 'active management".

All this has worked.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:11 am

SPG8 wrote:Why are fat people hungry?
Was fishing for blood sugar, but can't get a bite in this pond.

Good Luck

Minot

Post by Minot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 am

SPG8 wrote:
SPG8 wrote:Why are fat people hungry?
Was fishing for blood sugar, but can't get a bite in this pond.

Good Luck
It's considerably more complicated than that. Eg.,http://www.precisionnutrition.com/lepti ... eight-loss

Randomize

Post by Randomize » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the recommendations on myfitnesspal. A week in, it's already very, very clear that my long-time staple of Mac'n'cheese for lunch has been the culprit behind my weight gain :D

mws13

Post by mws13 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:18 am

I just lost 25 pounds using http://www.loseit.com. It really reminded me about this group. The app is NOT a diet. Basically the app "makes a calorie deposit" to your account in the morning and then you choose how to spend or save them. It organizes data, educates, and allows for an organized approach to re-balancing diet and exercise.

My original goal was to lose 10 pounds, but I keep adjusting lower. I still drink, have dessert, but now it is in balance. When you see some of the choices in "cost", your diet just naturally gets better.

I can now add steak and hamburger back into my weekly diet, but do not even have the desire. Here is the article that got me started - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/1 ... cker/?_r=0

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:28 am

Getting a lot of dental work done is also option. I've found working so much you don't have time to eat works too.

Stop having kids also helped. (I gained weight along with DW.)

In seriousness, I agree with others. Eliminate sweets, portion control, exercise, biking, weight lifting. It easy to say, harder to do.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:53 am

Almost all the above advice is true.
There is no magic, there is only you.
You either wait on a life changing event (I.e. a scare) or you make it happen yourself.
It may be a hard thing to do. That is the way of things we want to achieve.
It will take discipline. Like investing. It is an investment.
You CAN do it. Many have. Why not you? And this, precisely, is what you must ask yourself every day in the journey.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:59 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Best weight loss plan I know is eat less, exercise more.
I am inclined to believe that the above is the weight loss equivalent of the 3 fund portfolio. Certainly many people here use other perfectly satisfactory portfolios but the 3 fund folio has a large following here for a reason.
Ram

ram

Post by ram » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:23 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
engineer1969 wrote: There is very little correlation between exercise and your weight (especially as you get older)
Even so, exercise contributes to being a healthy person. There are a lot of sickly thin people in this world who rely on dieting alone.
I totally agree. Exercise is an important component of being healthy and fit, but has little to do with your weight.
I completely disagree, but what is true is that it takes a surprising amount of exercise to burn 200 calories, and most people dramatically underestimate how much exercise is needed to contribute to weight loss.
It is frequently said that you can not go through all your retirement years on a 100% bond portfolio. And the answer to that is ' Yes, you can' if you have enough of bonds.

It is no different for exercise and weight loss. Walking a mile will give you about 10 grams of weight loss. In other words, walking a mile daily for 45 days will cause a weight loss of 1 Lb. (assuming no change in dietary calories).
Ram

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm a fairly rare bird--I lost more than 100 pounds the old fashioned way over the course of two years. No one tells you that you're going to be hungry for the rest of your life. I know that everyone has their challenges in life, and I'm grateful to be healthy and reasonably normal-sized, but 35 pounds have crept back on, not because I didn't make permanent life changes, but because sometimes I have been literally too hungry to sleep.

Formerly obese people are metabolically different from never-obese people. It has something to do with chemical messengers such as leptin and ghrelin. It takes fewer calories to maintain the same body weight, and your body is always telling you that you're hungry. It can be really frustrating spending some of your waking hours so hungry that you could eat the wallpaper so you can save some calories for the evening so you can have a chance of sleeping through the night. Finally, you just shrug your shoulders and eat.

Next time I'll try not to get to be obese in the first place. :happy

(FWIW, my exercise regimen is to walk regularly, about 9 miles per week.)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:35 pm

dm200 wrote:This, using another way of expressing it, what I did:
1. After a "wakeup call" that, having moved into the "obese" category, I decided I needed to lose weight (as well as eat better). While not specific to amount of weight loss, nonetheless "losing weight" was a defined goal.
2. Should I "hire" an adviser (and pay "management costs") to meet my goal? Or should I pick a low cost approach? I chose to pick the "low cost" approach and not pay for an adviser. I was not convinced that an "adviser" added value. I spent just a few dollars on several books on the subject.
3. Should I pick "active management" of my plan, or a "passive" approach"? Not being either a medical or nutritional professional, I chose a more "passive" approach - guided by general principles that had documented credibility.
4. Was there some sort of "indexed" approach that would further the passive approach? The problem with an index of all North Americans my age/sex was that, on average, this group was overweight/obese. I decided that the elderly, healthy Okinawans would make a good "index" to model (as practical in North America)
5. Diversification was vital. I "diversified" with large variety of healthful foods, several kinds of exercise (no type of exercise - except some walking - done on successive days) and schedules.
6. Think "long term". I discarded foods, exercise, and other things that would only have short term results. I aimed for doing things that could be continued for the rest of my life.
7. Tracking. I measure and record performance of weight, exercises done and duration, etc. each day.
8. I resisted and still resist those proposing hiring an adviser and claiming the performance advantage of 'active management".
All this has worked.
Found what I posted 2 1/2 years ago. Pretty much the same approach, although have made some small refinements based on what I have learned, from what I believe are reliable and credible sources. Sill maintaining my weight with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of about 23 and doing almost daily exercise 45-60 minutes.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Eat real food 90% of the time. Limit the bad food and alcohol to one day a week. Exercise moderately for 30 minutes a day, or just go for a brisk walk.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Um, keep in mind that the OP was diabetic, and the methods that work for others may not work for a diabetic.

This TED talk helped my family a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY
in which an MD asks, "What if we're wrong about diabetes? Could the precursors to diabetes cause obesity, and not the other way around? What if by blaming the obese, we are blaming the victims?"

It's not just calories in vs. calories out for some of us. I can't eat white bread, white rice or potatoes.

And I bicycle 10 miles a day, do three classes a week at the gym and do weights twice a week--but it does nothing for weight loss. I exercise so that I can keep doing the things I want to do.

ks289

Post by ks289 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

ram wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
engineer1969 wrote: There is very little correlation between exercise and your weight (especially as you get older)
Even so, exercise contributes to being a healthy person. There are a lot of sickly thin people in this world who rely on dieting alone.
I totally agree. Exercise is an important component of being healthy and fit, but has little to do with your weight.
I completely disagree, but what is true is that it takes a surprising amount of exercise to burn 200 calories, and most people dramatically underestimate how much exercise is needed to contribute to weight loss.
It is frequently said that you can not go through all your retirement years on a 100% bond portfolio. And the answer to that is ' Yes, you can' if you have enough of bonds.

It is no different for exercise and weight loss. Walking a mile will give you about 10 grams of weight loss. In other words, walking a mile daily for 45 days will cause a weight loss of 1 Lb. (assuming no change in dietary calories).
Here's why weight loss is very difficult to actually achieve with this approach alone (without decreasing calories):
1. Keeping caloric intake exactly constant is difficult
2. Metabolism slows with age and loss of lean muscle without regular exercise
3. Metabolism slows as a result of weight loss

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:27 am

If you want to increase your chances of living a long and healthy life keep your caloric intake down, stop eating crap and exercise daily. If you are motivated you will......... if not you wont.

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 am

Until a couple of years ago, I had never been on a diet. My DW had been on many different diets. I decided I needed to change my diet for reasons unrelated to my weight and DW joined my effort for reasons of solidarity. We switched to a whole food, plant based diet. Additionally, we did not use products which included added sugars. We also eliminated oils. We did not resort to any sort of portion control or limit the quantity of food. We did not increase our exercise. Both my wife and I quickly lost 30 lbs each.

The problem with most diets is they attempt to limit portion size which is very difficult to maintain long term as the diet leaves you constantly hungry. Our diet permits us to eat as much as we like, so hunger is not a factor. My wife says this was the easiest and most painless diet she ever followed. The main problem is actually following the diet. You must closely read labels and eating out is not always easy. Our friends and family all say they could never keep with our diet, so I would say, that's the biggest hurdle. Two and a half years after starting the diet, we have both maintained our initial 30 lb. weight loss. For reference, I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 140 lbs.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:54 am

Keeping a reasonable weight is mainly depending on the calorie intake. You can much faster reduce food intake by 200 cal than exercise the 200 cal off. So why to go to a gym, when all you have to do is eat less? I have kept my weight in retirement by limiting the eating of fatty and sugary foods. Protein, vegetables and fruits is all you need. When you are hungry, eat a lot of vegetables without dressing to fill up your stomach. I also simply refuse to widen my belts by a hole. When you want to lose weight, then stay hungry. Soon there is spring and I will be able to work outside, such as doing all the yardwork myself.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:14 am

livesoft wrote: Can I ask how to get motivated to lose weight? Or how to motivate a loved one to lose weight without pissing them off?
Wow! Two very different issues. In 2002 I knocked off 10-12 lbs - all I wanted to do. Not much but had been buggin' me for years. I used Losing Weight for Good by Lawrence Cheskin of Johns Hopkins. Calculated requirements, followed the outline for how much of what would give me that caloric amount and stuck to it. Weighed out portions, packed meals - no way to do it with processed prepacked stuff - and dropped the fat. Kept it off by following the outline of the diet and cutting back to the letter of the law if more than a pound or two creeped back on. Last year I had an injury that kept me really sedentary :annoyed and the creep became more than a couple of pounds. I am now moving again and back on the plan and looking forward to clothes that fit. Not being able to button a favorite pair of jeans is a real motivator! So, yeh, I recommend that cheap no-frills book and plan.

Talking to someone else about weight is a potentially explosive issue. My nephew's wife stormed out of my home two years ago and we haven't spoken since, and I wasn't even talking to her. I now avoid the issue unless someone else raises it . . .

Vic

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 am

MildlyEccentric wrote: The problem with most diets is they attempt to limit portion size which is very difficult to maintain long term as the diet leaves you constantly hungry.
That's what I thought, but it doesn't work that way - or it didn't for me. I remember thinking I'd never stick to 3 oz portions of meat, but when I added all the veg I wasn't especially hungry, usually not at all. A nutritionist BTW suggested I always include a little fat since I told her I didn't deal well with being hungry; instead of non-fat everything I used low fat. Fruit and yogurt isn't my ideal snack, but it paid off and I wasn't chewing the plate by dinner. Just made sure to have enough veg to pad out the moderate amounts of (fill in the protein and carbs of your choice). Worked.

Vic

hardrain

Post by hardrain » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:35 am

snyder66 wrote:Stop eating processed foods.
[I'm not an expert]

Agnostic of any political issues, Michael Pollan has three rules from In Defense of Food I find compelling in terms of diet:
1. Eat food [ie what snyder says above]
2. Not too much
3. Mostly plants

That third rule is, imo, entirely about making sure you're not missing out on the important symbiotic elements of our diet -- you need much of the enzymes, bacteria and micro-nutrients that's part of a diverse diet....this stuff all works together.

In my experience the hardest part of this is simply having the time and energy to plan meals and cook. When I have time I'm not only eating better but enjoying what I'm eating more. It's when I'm busy or stressed my diet is mostly cheese its and coffee, so I've used that as a signal to chill out and refocus. FWIW it's worked for me, just in terms of feeling better.

Good luck!

SamB

Post by SamB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:55 am

Watch this movie, [Link removed by admin LadyGeek, see below.], and start looking into the hormonal theory of obesity. The Germans lost the war, but they sure got this one right. Things have been down hill ever since the endocrinologists lost their minds on this one.

Note that the guy in the movie did not eat less, and had no change in exercise. His health tanked in about two months. Luckily it is reversible.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:19 pm

hardrain wrote:
snyder66 wrote:Stop eating processed foods.
[I'm not an expert]

Agnostic of any political issues, Michael Pollan has three rules from In Defense of Food I find compelling in terms of diet:
1. Eat food [ie what snyder says above]
2. Not too much
3. Mostly plants

That third rule is, imo, entirely about making sure you're not missing out on the important symbiotic elements of our diet -- you need much of the enzymes, bacteria and micro-nutrients that's part of a diverse diet....this stuff all works together.

In my experience the hardest part of this is simply having the time and energy to plan meals and cook. When I have time I'm not only eating better but enjoying what I'm eating more. It's when I'm busy or stressed my diet is mostly cheese its and coffee, so I've used that as a signal to chill out and refocus. FWIW it's worked for me, just in terms of feeling better.

Good luck!
I am an expert, at least my PhD and that nearly 200 page dissertation I wrote on the topic for said degree says I spent a lot of time studying the topic, but I want reiterate that weight management (for most) is hardly rocket science. 95% of people will do just fine if they heed Pollan's three basic principles. Yes, everybody processes energy differently, there are endocrinological factors, different macronutrients influence satiety and metabolism in different ways, but for most people simply wanting to maintain healthy weight that hardly matters if you live a lifestyle based on those three things.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 pm

SamB wrote:Watch this movie, [Link removed by admin LadyGeek, see below.], and start looking into the hormonal theory of obesity. The Germans lost the war, but they sure got this one right. Things have been down hill ever since the endocrinologists lost their minds on this one.

Note that the guy in the movie did not eat less, and had no change in exercise. His health tanked in about two months. Luckily it is reversible.
I removed a website link which challenges the health benefits of sugar (medical advice).

Here's why we don't permit medical advice: Re: How to deal with dentist phobia

Please stay focused on techniques. Claims on the health benefits of certain foods is off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:40 pm

I lost 25 pounds in a relatively short time by going complete carb nazi. No bread or starchy veggies or fruits. No beer.

Fresh beef, chicken and fish, green leafy vegetables and carrots, broccoli, eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and coffee, water, rum or vodka.

I ate all I wanted and exercised as I always had and went from almost 180 pounds to under 150 in maybe three months. My opinion is nothing will make you fatter than a low fat diet - it usually means high carbs. Meat and green veggies are your friends.

I'm not as disciplined now but still hover right around the 160 mark 15 years later.
Last edited by Atilla on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

davebo

Post by davebo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:42 pm

plato's caveman wrote:Recently spotted on a wall at a CrossFit gym:

By entering here, you agree to give 100% of what you have. There are no excuses or second chances. Every day, every moment is an opportunity to excel, to be more, to achieve your best. Do not squander your time by going through the motions. Train hard and get results. At the end of the day, look in the mirror and ask yourself if you gave your all. If you don’t have that level of commitment, don’t waste your time or ours.
Oh geez. While I can appreciate the community aspects that some gyms or weight loss programs have, seems like their ultimate goal is to form some kind of cult to get people to keep paying for memberships, supplements, and DVDs

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 am

Empirically speaking, weight loss success varies individually. That is, what works for one person, or even a vast majority of people, may not work for another. If you are having any issues with the sensible weight loss plans (e.g. eat "real" food in moderation and exercise regularly), it may be time to consult your doctor. I personally had to work with my doctor to find a plan that worked for me, but have now lost 5 pounds in 2 months.

That said, it's been over two years since the OP started this thread. It looks like the OP is still active on the forum, so I'd be curious about a followup. Hopefully the OP has found something that has worked over time, but it's also okay if the OP is still struggling. Weight is a complicated matter, particularly when one has medical conditions that can factor in to the equation.

Good luck OP.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:35 am

+1 :happy
I like that.
Pretty much sums up the way life should be led,,,,for the most part. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

just frank

Post by just frank » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am

You have to reduce how hungry you are, not how much you eat. If you are less hungry, you will eat less.

There is a lot of evidence that artificial sweeteners [medical claim removed by admin LadyGeek]

Eating sugar (doesn't matter what kind, sucrose, HCFC, etc) is also bad except in moderation. [Medical claim removed by admin LadyGeek] It is not too hard to abstain or limit sweets (and gets much easier over time) esp if you are not replacing with artificial sweeteners. If you eat processed foods, you will need to read the labels to avoid 'hidden sugar' that many of them are loaded with.

Some people equate carbs with sugar (although carbs are glucose, while sugar is glucose+fructose). Carbs are not as bad as sugar, but should not be the primary basis of your diet.

Eat delicious food you enjoy and find satisfying, that is not based on the ingredients above. Avoid non-foods like diet systems.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:21 am

This is so funny. My Brother-in-law came over yesterday for dinner and while we were all eating my wife's lasagna, he brought his Nutrisystem foods. He has been heavy since I knew him and would lose 40lbs to gain back 50. First off, I could not believe the price they charge for the food. His lunch was dry soup where you add water that was so small, I can't imagine anybody getting satisfied by eating that and his dinner was in some sort of package that looked like cat food. For this, he was paying $350 a month.

My wife and I have tried many diets over the years and the only thing that ever worked for us was Weight Watchers. Sure, we would gain 5 or 10 back, but would always go back to counting points. It's easy and does not exclude any foods. And it doesn't cost a fortune. I love food too much to ever exclude the foods that I like. On days where I feel frazzled and feel I can't control myself, I use Naturade Total Soy Meal Replacement for 2 meals a day and eat a normal dinner. The amount of fiber in that shake keeps me satisfied for hours and it taste like a thick chocolate shake and is loaded with vitamins.

As far as my exercise routine. I either walk on a treadmill for 20 minutes a day 3 to 5 days a week and do Isometric exercises for about 10 to 15 minutes a day 3 to 5 days also. I love walking outside when the weather is nice and on those days I can spend over an hour or 2 walking. That's it, no gym membership and no restricted foods.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:38 pm

I forgot to mention last night that the OP should also not fixate too much on daily weight fluctuations. Get an app that plots a trend line and just keep that trend line pointing downwards, regardless of daily fluctuations.

My mother and aunt have not learned this lesson, and often give up on dietary changes after they "gain a pound" one day. But it's normal to vary by a pound or so a day, just due to changes in hydration levels or some fluctuations in your digestive tract. For example, I "lost" two pounds the day I had food poisoning, but that was not an actual weight loss.

So it's best to focus on the weight trend line instead of the daily weight numbers. For some people, this might mean buying one of those smart scales so the associated app can do it for them. But you can also put your measurements into Excel and graph with a trend line.

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:49 pm

dowse wrote:
5. I go to the gym 4-5 times per week. This is not nearly enough by itself - I was doing that before I lost the weight. I see far too many people who seem to think they can get by on only an exercise program, but keep in mind that each session burns only a few hundred calories at best. When I first joined a gym 30 years ago, after finishing a workout, the trainer said to me "congratulations, you just burned off a cookie". However, the exercise is still very important for maintenance and other benefits, so definitely get some exercise.

+ 1000

Convinced that my wife losing 61 pounds wouldn't have happened on her Weight Watchers program alone. Exercising is key. You absolutely need both diet and exercise if there is any hope of taking the pounds off and staying that way.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:09 pm

This (and other posts at this site) is the general approach I have taken (very siccessfully) in the last 5+ years:

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/how-y ... eight.html

Exige

Post by Exige » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Bounca wrote:
dowse wrote:
5. I go to the gym 4-5 times per week. This is not nearly enough by itself - I was doing that before I lost the weight. I see far too many people who seem to think they can get by on only an exercise program, but keep in mind that each session burns only a few hundred calories at best. When I first joined a gym 30 years ago, after finishing a workout, the trainer said to me "congratulations, you just burned off a cookie". However, the exercise is still very important for maintenance and other benefits, so definitely get some exercise.

+ 1000

Convinced that my wife losing 61 pounds wouldn't have happened on her Weight Watchers program alone. Exercising is key. You absolutely need both diet and exercise if there is any hope of taking the pounds off and staying that way.

Correct I am down 141lbs and have had it off for a few years now all diet and exercise. No program, no surgery, changed my diet, life, exercise.
‘I found the road to wealth when I decided that a part of all I earned was mine to keep. And so will you.'

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:36 pm

I lost about 90 lbs over the course of a few years. The first 45 pounds or so was solely done by going to the gym after work 4 days a week and doing both cardio and weight training, nothing too strenuous. Didn't change my eating habits.

I hit a plateau for a few months and decided to try strict calorie counting and totally removed certain foods from my diet. I quit going to the gym and lost the rest of the 45 pounds by being strict about a 1500 calorie or less per day diet.

I've gained/lost about 20-25 pounds since then. I would say I have about a six month on/off cycle. I will calorie count pretty strictly for about 3 months then I'll slack off a bit for 3 months and the extra calories slowly creep back in. Then I notice my jeans feel tight and back on the calorie counting I go.
I've learned a bit in my calorie counting. I've found that during normal weekdays it's very easy for me to only eat 1500 calories. Weekends are tougher because I"m usually home around my tempting kitchen, so I usually let myself go to 1700 on weekends.

It's easier for me to eat less than to regularly exercise. :(

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Although I cannot say that my very, very successful plan over the last 5+ years would work for others and that what I did/do costs NOTHING beyond the food I eat (probably at or below average cost) and a small cost for gym membership, I am very puzzled at how many overweight (some VERY OBESE) friends and acquiantences relate to me how unsuccessful they have been in what they have done (somettimes spending a lot) AND then criticizing me and my approach. I just don't get it.

CT-Scott

Post by CT-Scott » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:33 pm

I haven't read through all of the replies, but will try to do so later. I just wanted to quickly reply with my thoughts/experiences:

My wife and I went through the Ideal Protein program last year and lost several pounds, most of which I've kept off. The program is an ultra low-carb, low-fat, no-alcohol program and involves purchasing their products, most of which are not very tasty. It is a ketosis diet (Google it if you need to), and my general understanding about that is that you devoid your body of carbs and it will enter a state of ketosis and start to burn through your existing fat as energy. It will also burn through protein/muscle for energy, which is why you need to continue to take in protein. My understanding is that eating fat will not kick your body out of ketosis, nor will consuming alcohol, but you won't lose as much as quickly if you do so. Eating carbs *will* kick your body out of ketosis, and it could take several days of eliminating carbs to get your body back into ketosis.

I thought the program was overpriced and we didn't like that their products were largely soy-based and did not claim to be non-GMO soy, but I couldn't argue with the results. We went off of the program because we had a vacation coming up and wanted to indulge a bit. We had lost quite a bit of weight, but hadn't quite met our ultimate goals, so we intended to go back on it (or do our own, more natural food-based version of something similar).

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Get a FitBit ,great personal assistant,
(Not affiliated,,I use one,,it works for me) :happy

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Charge-Wir ... rds=fitbit
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MrVargas

Post by MrVargas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Weight Watchers is the only thing that works for me (I'm down 35 lbs from my peak). I was very hesitant to join as I think everything is a scam. The accountability of weigh-in's and meetings and their nutritional guidelines seem to click with me.

BTW, they recently changed their points system to steer you towards Lean Protein, Fruits & Veggies (which are unlimited), fiber-heavy foods and to limit your sugar intake and carbs in general. It seems like they're adopting the research that is driving the Paleo diet. I was a little skeptical at first but a nice lean steak with a salad and fresh fruit for desert (and meals like this) are more satisfying and and are getting me better results than the carb heavy meals I used to eat.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Ketawa wrote:I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and implemented a low carb diet. So far, I have lost about 1 pound per week. I have eaten bacon/sausage & eggs for breakfast every day and one week I had steak 6 times in 7 nights, celebrating the fact I bought a new grill. I just eat until I am satisfied and stop, no counting calories.

Good luck with your efforts. I have a feeling this thread might end up locked.
I too have had great success with a no-carb, steak and eggs diet in the past.

However, my wife is a great cook and cannot survive on a meat-only diet. This has lead to weight creep over the past 3 years as I have no will power. :-(

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 pm

davebo wrote:

Oh geez. While I can appreciate the community aspects that some gyms or weight loss programs have, seems like their ultimate goal is to form some kind of cult to get people to keep paying for memberships, supplements, and DVDs
You mean the same kind of cult that has people up at 12 am on a Sunday morning bragging about how cheap they are, and how much of their income they're saving! :mrgreen:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
davebo wrote:

You mean the same kind of cult that has people up at 12 am on a Sunday morning bragging about how cheap they are, and how much of their income they're saving! :mrgreen:
Not a crossfit fan and I definitely see the cult-ish characteristics, but I actually kind of like the quote. Just from an athletic standpoint, as someone who was both a serious athlete and a trainer of world-class athletes, I don't think most people realize what level of hard work and dedication it takes. That's not necessarily promoting overtraining (that is a whole other discussion), but you want to surround yourself with people who'll push themselves just as hard as you do. If you don't want to work as hard as everyone else, find somewhere else.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:02 pm

I too have had great success with a no-carb, steak and eggs diet in the past
In my opinion and experience, "success" at weight loss also includes maintaining the lower weight. Obviously, then, you are NOT successful. Do you really believe that anyone could keep up no-carb, steak and eggs long term? And even if they did, do you really think it would be healthful?

On the other hand, I have been successful (5 years) without paying for anything - eating healthy, going to the gym, etc.

I eat moderate to high carbohydrates (almost no added sugar and not 'processed'), moderate fat (the good kinds) and low animal protein.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Ketawa wrote:I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and implemented a low carb diet. So far, I have lost about 1 pound per week. I have eaten bacon/sausage & eggs for breakfast every day and one week I had steak 6 times in 7 nights, celebrating the fact I bought a new grill. I just eat until I am satisfied and stop, no counting calories.

Good luck with your efforts. I have a feeling this thread might end up locked.
Bought $20 worth of discounted meat (oxidized) today.
I've done this before. Low carb, low starch/wheat diet substituted with meat, fish, vegetables. This time around I am going to eat more fresh fruit as my simple pleasure. Atkins or modified Atkins diet gets expensive. I do exercise daily too.
GL
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:50 am

A very compelling take on obesity and weight loss by a (previously) overweight/obese psychologist.

https://aeon.co/essays/hunger-is-psycho ... s-it-worse

Here's a snippet:

"~When you want to lose weight, it’s hard to wrap your mind around the concept of eating more. I simply had to trust a bizarre psychological twist: if I try to eat less, I’ll end up eating more.

I could give a list of foods – salmon, peanut butter, pork chops, apples, tomatoes, chicken with the skin, tofu, eggs, and on and on – but really the concept is more revealing than the details. The diet had nothing to do with standard health advice. It had nothing to do with how those particular foods chemically affect my body. I wasn’t thinking of my arteries or my liver or my insulin. The approach was designed to speak to my unconscious hunger control mechanism, to encourage it to eat less. And it worked at a slow drip of about two pounds a week, trailing off finally to a much more comfortable weight. Twenty years of accumulation, 50 extra pounds (I cringe to admit it) went away in a few months."