Weight Loss Plans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cheese_breath

Re: Weight Loss Plans?

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 am

engineer1969 wrote: There is very little correlation between exercise and your weight (especially as you get older)
Even so, exercise contributes to being a healthy person. There are a lot of sickly thin people in this world who rely on dieting alone.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:39 am

cheese_breath wrote:
engineer1969 wrote: There is very little correlation between exercise and your weight (especially as you get older)
Even so, exercise contributes to being a healthy person. There are a lot of sickly thin people in this world who rely on dieting alone.
I totally agree. Exercise is an important component of being healthy and fit, but has little to do with your weight.

dowse

Post by dowse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 am

To the financial aspects of this question, avoiding preventable health problems can be an effective way to minimize future health care costs. It may well be worth the investment in a weight loss program if it helps achieve that goal. As we have heard, some folks need the structure that a paid program provides, while others are able to do it on their own. The key is motivation and a strong commitment. As for the potential health benefits of any weight loss or exercise program, it would be wise to discuss it with your doctor.

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 am

gregw wrote:
slopecarver wrote:Never pay for a weight loss plan.
Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories, eat 500 to 1000 calories less than maintenance. Eat whatever you want but you'll be looking for more filling food if all you eat is calorie dense junk. Do some searching for calorie deficit. No other rules or anything, eat whatever I want, whenever I want but I can't go over my calorie limit for the day. Exercise grants me more calories to eat for that day.

Source: I lost 50 pounds in 6 months doing just this,
+1

I lost 70 pounds over the course of a year tracking calories using the SparkPeople app. I exercised some, though not as much as I should, but the key was controlling how much I consumed. I came to the conclusion that I no matter how much I exercise, I could always eat more. I'm still trying to increase the amount I exercise for general health, but weight loss is all about portion control. I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, but tend to stick more to the healthier options (lean meats, whole grains, fruits & veggies) and make sure I stay within my daily calorie limit.

+1, +1. No question, it's portion control for weight loss. I kidded myself for years...exercise, exercise more, exercise even more.....why no change in my weight? Because I didn't change the amount I ate, or the types of food I ate.
Exercise for cardio and muscle health....eat less for weight control. My best reminder of what I could turn into body-size wise is when I seeing the increasing amount of men and women driving those motorized shopping carts around grocery and discount stores because they are to heavy to walk the isles. 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:47 am

As you can see, there are many ways to successfully lose weight and keep it off.

1. I wouldn't recommend a plan either, because I'm not sure what you'd do once it was over. That's the hard part. You're not trying to eat differently just to lose weight, you're trying to eat differently for the rest of your life.

2. Just commit to it today. Commit to losing weight and being healthy, and don't worry about how long it will take. For most it took a while to build the belly, shouldn't be surprising if it takes a while to tear it down.

(Optional material follows)

1. Healthy low-carb is interesting (tons and tons of vegetables) because it eliminates hunger. A natural response is lower T3, and you can become symptomatic if you overcook it by not eating enough calories in the absence of hunger (I went too far, down to 145 lbs @ 5'9").

2. My main goal is to limit vegetable and seed oil to keep O6 down and to be careful when cooking with fats containing polyunsaturated fatty acids. Trying to keep oxidized-LDL consumption low.

3. The "healthiest" diet probably isn't currently known (it will be at some point in the future, likely distant), and the best biomarkers for health probably aren't yet widely used/identified. Triglycerides are a good example. I can knock TG down to <60 on low-carb. My TG values are totally within my control, yet few would recommend a low-carb diet. I'm not suggesting they should recommend it, I just question the value of TG as a biomarker in that context.

4. Alcohol is counterproductive. Eliminate or consume sparingly, then maybe add back gradually near your goal weight and see how you respond.

Good Luck

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 am

engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
I totally agree. Exercise is an important component of being healthy and fit, but has little to do with your weight.
I completely disagree, but what is true is that it takes a surprising amount of exercise to burn 200 calories, and most people dramatically underestimate how much exercise is needed to contribute to weight loss.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am

One of the local Radio Sports guys several years ago had a series of radio commercials for Medifast. (I am sure not a low cost program). "I lost so many pounds in just a few months" (Can't remember the numbers, but it was a lot of weight in a short time). Then, earlier this year, he was back with radio commercials for Medifast again: "I went back to my good friends at Medifast when I found my weight crept back up. Then, I lost so many pounds in just a few weeks!." Obviously, this program did not work long term for him. Financially, though, the fact that it did not work benefitted him financially. In my opinion, many of these expensive programs really do not want long term success from their customers. Long term failure of their customers means long term financial success for them. They want you to come back and back and back again and keep paying their fees and charges. These programs must be financially successful - paying the celebrities big bucks to pitch their programs.

My suggestion (from a financial perspective) is save your money on expensive programs, get several responsible health and nutrition books, and follow one (perhaps several) of the programs from reputable medical, nutrition and health professionals - and backed by reputable and impartial studies.

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:10 am

I suggest you watch "The Men Who Made Us Thin". Part 1 is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_LoAm_etU

In the first of this four-part series, Jacques examines the scientific reasons why so many diets fail long-term and why - in spite of this failure - we go back to them again and again.
Travelling to the US and speaking to industry insiders, he discovers some of the secrets of the industry.
The knowledge that dieting is problematic was realised by scientists back in the 1940s and 1950s. Jacques asks whether this research influenced the modern diet industry, which often relies on returning customers who blame themselves for failure when the diet doesn't deliver a long-term solution.
Jacques speaks to a former director of Weight Watchers, who admits that customer failure was a significant factor in the company's profits: people have to keep coming back.

dowse

Post by dowse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 am

Here's another book to consider that may be helpful to some. It's based on nutrition science by a professor at Tufts University. It recommends a DIY approach in stages instead of a paid program. Also includes menus and recipes. Although I discovered this book after achieving my weight loss goal, I find it very similar to the approach I took.

http://www.instinctdiet.com/

jimkinny

Post by jimkinny » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:13 am

I agree with what many have posted.

Learn about calories: fats, carbs and protein.

I learned a lot reading the Mayo Clinic's website that deals with healthy living. They have/had a proposed diets broken down to lose a certain amount of weight but it seemed a bit harsh. But, the material dealing with the number of calories in a tablespoon of oil vs maybe a cup of whole grain wheat cereal was very helpful.

There are a number of free apps that help one to count calories consnumed and burn and let you know exactly what you must do every day to lose weight. I used Lose It via iTunes but I know it there is a android based app availble. This was essential to me in learning about calories and foods. I have a masters in a biology based science and worked in the medical field for 30 years or so, but I did not know about what makes a good life long type diet until I read Mayo's info and used the app.

90% of losing weight and keeping it off is diet. Exercise is important but it is a losing game to think that you can go into the gym and get on a treadmill and lose weight. It will work, maybe, but only if you do not consume compensating calories and it will only be a short term fix. It is mostly about what you eat.

Eat all of the fruit and vegetables you want, every thing else severely limit: keeping it simple. And that is not veggies with a high calories sauce.

jim

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:35 am

EmergDoc wrote:
lucky3 wrote:Any Bogleheads out there try the weight loss plans of Medifast or Nutrisystems?

Non-insulin dependent diabetic lost 40 lbs on Medifast (Take Shape for Life) diet. Got A1C down to a good level then started to go off the diet a little and experienced "weight creep".

Thinking of going on Nutrisystems, costly, but if it works......anyone have any good experience with it?

Lucky3
Real, lasting weight loss is all about lifestyle change. I lost 13 lbs this summer, most in the last month. The secret? Get on a bike more days than not and ride for an hour or more. Ever seen a fat professional cyclist?

People say it's not that simple, but I don't see any of them training for triathalons and I know a lot of people who used to be fat before they took up cycling/swimming/triathalons/running/whatever.

As far as eating, I think it is far less about what you eat and far more about how much of it you eat. Buy smaller plates, and don't refill them.

When people are running an hour a day and eating half as much food and still not losing weight I'll start buying into all those other weight-loss theories and programs. My wife is really into the Paleo/Eat real food stuff. Reads about it a lot and eats lots of squash. But one of us gained weight this summer and one of us lost it. I just find the First Law of Thermodynamics a rather compelling theory.
For the overwhelming majority of people, it really is that simple. But they don't want the logical answer, they want a magic bullet; a pill or special diet or exercise program. Health and weight maintenance isn't about a specific diet or exercise plan, it's a lifestyle. And there are a million ways to skin a cat: you can do it eating vegan or low-carbohydrate, endurance training or heavy lifting or even no specific exercise at all...for most it really is no more complex than the 1st law of thermodynamics.

For the record, I know a ton of competitive triathletes/marathon runners/cyclists who are not just overweight but obese, many who have even completed ironman and ultra marathons. You don't see any overweight professional cyclists because you will never see a professional cyclist that is not an ectomorph (the 20+hrs/week of training certainly doesn't hurt). Regardless of how much and how hard you train, if you don't have those specific genetic traits you will never be a professional cyclist. The mantra that you can't out-train a bad diet is true for anybody but the most genetically gifted.

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 am

For obese/significantly overweight middle age men with no serious underlying health conditions that would prevent vigorous exercise:
(I went from 285 pounds to 180 pounds doing this in 7 months, 6'-1" height, large frame)

2000 calories per day
Weigh every day and log
Log all calories in myfitnesspal or similar
Log all workouts
1 hour of vigorous exercise 5 days per week plus one easy day (swimming walking) and one hard day (2 hours exercise).
No liquid calories - water, coffee, tea, diet drinks instead.
No cheat days on eating.
No off days on exercise.

Very lean meats, tons of vegetables and whole fruit, whole grain carbs only.
Eat 2000 calories of the above and you'll have lots of food to eat and feel full most of the time.
You'll feel hungry occasionally - it's ok - that feeling will pass.
Eat 2000 calories of fatty, starchy highly processed food and you'll be starving.
Take your vitamins and if you are dying of hunger before meals, try drinking a fiber drink about 1 hour before meals.

You should lose about 20 pounds per month the first month, then 15 pounds per month while you are still obese/significantly overweight and 10 pounds per month as you approach your lean healthy weight. This is a significant calorie deficit so you will see and feel results every week and you won't "plateau" for weeks like can happen with very shallow calorie deficits. When you reach your healthy weight, maintain exercise and up calories to eliminate calorie deficit - may be 2800-3200 calories/day depending.

This is simple but not easy. If you do this you will not only lose the weight but you will be in fantastic shape by the time you are done even compared to 95% of people your age that don't have a weight problem. You can't maintain a calorie deficit forever but you can maintain everything else pretty much forever.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:31 am

slopecarver wrote:Never pay for a weight loss plan.
Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track calories, eat 500 to 1000 calories less than maintenance. Eat whatever you want but you'll be looking for more filling food if all you eat is calorie dense junk. Do some searching for calorie deficit. No other rules or anything, eat whatever I want, whenever I want but I can't go over my calorie limit for the day. Exercise grants me more calories to eat for that day.

Source: I lost 50 pounds in 6 months doing just this,
I used the same app tool and lost 45# in a year. Now back to my age 25 weight, 40 years later. Makes bike riding and treadmill stress tests much easier!
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

SnapShots

Post by SnapShots » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Any weight loss plan works, as long as, you follow it.

You have to eat less. Simple as that...but hard to do in our giant portion size and fast food America.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
I completely disagree, but what is true is that it takes a surprising amount of exercise to burn 200 calories, and most people dramatically underestimate how much exercise is needed to contribute to weight loss.
By toning one's body and replacing fat with muscle a good exercise program can contribute to significant improvements in one's self image. Since muscle weighs more than fat one may gain significant health improvements without any weight loss.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:28 pm

gatorking wrote:I suggest you watch "The Men Who Made Us Thin". Part 1 is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_LoAm_etU

In the first of this four-part series, Jacques examines the scientific reasons why so many diets fail long-term and why - in spite of this failure - we go back to them again and again.
Travelling to the US and speaking to industry insiders, he discovers some of the secrets of the industry.
The knowledge that dieting is problematic was realised by scientists back in the 1940s and 1950s. Jacques asks whether this research influenced the modern diet industry, which often relies on returning customers who blame themselves for failure when the diet doesn't deliver a long-term solution.
Jacques speaks to a former director of Weight Watchers, who admits that customer failure was a significant factor in the company's profits: people have to keep coming back.
"Wonderful" Business Model - The less your customers are successful with your products and services -- the more money you make! I suppose that is fairly common - certainly it is true of gambling (or the 'preferred' term "Gaming").

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:55 pm

I am continually "perplexed" and "puzzled" that I am frequently criticized (by 'friends' and acquaintances) about the lifestyle changes and choices I have made, as well as insisting that something must be wrong with me (healthwise) when many of them are (and have been) so unsuccessful with what they have tried (and often spent a lot of money on). And - I am doing nothing "far out" (in my opinion) - just regular, daily exercise (5-7 days a week, mostly early morning), eating healthful food (no cured meat, little red meat, chick/turkey modestly, lots of fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, no fat dairy, moderate amount soy products, no soft drinks of any kind, coffee/green tea/black tea in moderation, etc. I am rarely hungry, and my weight (BMI) is in the middle of the 'normal' range (BMI 22.8-23.0). Got off statins completely, got off 2 blood pressure drugs completely. Cholesterol is outstanding as is blood pressure. NO regaining weight (lost 55-60 pounds in 11 months) after 2 years at all. ALL my doctors are happier than pigs in slop. The "plan" cost me almost ZERO! And I am criticized!!!! Someone smarter than I am needs to explain that to me!

From time to time, for example when attending some kind of dinner/meeting at a hotel or restaurant, I just eat a fairly full and regular meal including bread (but no butter) and dessert.

dowse

Post by dowse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:24 pm

I am continually "perplexed" and "puzzled" that I am frequently criticized (by 'friends' and acquaintances) about the lifestyle changes and choices I have made, as well as insisting that something must be wrong with me (healthwise) when many of them are (and have been) so unsuccessful with what they have tried (and often spent a lot of money on). And - I am doing nothing "far out" (in my opinion) - just regular, daily exercise (5-7 days a week, mostly early morning), eating healthful food (no cured meat, little red meat, chick/turkey modestly, lots of fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, no fat dairy, moderate amount soy products, no soft drinks of any kind, coffee/green tea/black tea in moderation, etc. I am rarely hungry, and my weight (BMI) is in the middle of the 'normal' range (BMI 22.8-23.0). Got off statins completely, got off 2 blood pressure drugs completely. Cholesterol is outstanding as is blood pressure. NO regaining weight (lost 55-60 pounds in 11 months) after 2 years at all. ALL my doctors are happier than pigs in slop. The "plan" cost me almost ZERO! And I am criticized!!!! Someone smarter than I am needs to explain that to me!

I, too, have endured comments I considered to be rather rude. I was told that I was "looking skeletal", that I "looked better before", and "you need to stop losing weight". Funny, all of these comments came from people who could stand to lose a few pounds (or more than a few) themselves. I just smile and tell them that my doctor would strongly disagree. BTW, this after achieving a BMI that is still considered just a tad high, hardly underweight. Some folks were kinder and expressed genuine concern for my health. Some friends said nothing, thinking I might be sick, so I preemptively addressed that. On the other hand, there were also many who complimented me. It's fun to see how people whom I've only recently met react when I tell them I used to be heavier.

The simple explanation for rude remarks is that they have been unable to do the same and it's a way of justifying their own failures.

Grip

Post by Grip » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 pm

lucky3 wrote:Any Bogleheads out there try the weight loss plans of Medifast or Nutrisystems?

Non-insulin dependent diabetic lost 40 lbs on Medifast (Take Shape for Life) diet. Got A1C down to a good level then started to go off the diet a little and experienced "weight creep".

Thinking of going on Nutrisystems, costly, but if it works......anyone have any good experience with it?

Lucky3
My mother has tried both of those plans, for similar reasons to yours, and had only short-term success.

My doctor is hassling me to lose weight due to high cholesterol. The only thing that has worked for me long-term is light cardiovascular exercise (walking daily at a brisk pace) combined with a moderately low-fat diet. I use My Fitness Pal to track calories but I don't add in my exercise because I want to keep my calorie count consistent.

I find it best to make one big change per month.

Month 1 I started tracking my calories in My Fitness Pal (not making any changes).

Month 2 I have been keeping calories to 1400 a day for 5-6 days a week. 1-2 days a week I go to 1800 so I don't feel too deprived. My "splurge" days are the 1-2 days a week when I dine out with friends.

Month 3 I will add a daily brisk walk.

normsie

Post by normsie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 pm

as an employee of weight watchers for thirteen years,i have seen many people come and go.there is no magic dust.you just have to live according to healthy guide lines,move as much as you can, and make your food choices wisely.i think weight watchers is a very normal way to eat,watching portion sizes and keeping a food journal.people who attend meetings are the most successful.it isn't easy but it is worth it to feel good and look good.

norma ann

beachplum

Post by beachplum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Ketawa wrote:I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and implemented a low carb diet. So far, I have lost about 1 pound per week. I have eaten bacon/sausage & eggs for breakfast every day and one week I had steak 6 times in 7 nights.
I hope that's not your standard diet. It sounds delicious, but you could be trading weight loss for a heart attack.
That's how I lost weight too a few years back, eating bacon, scrambled eggs made with butter/cream everyday etc. My cholesterol numbers went thru the roof. I have a family history of very high cholesterol. Stopped that nonsense immediately. I also don't believe everything I read about low carb diet/cutting out wheat etc. I think it's all about portion control, limiting sugar/refined carbs/exercise. For the poster wanting to know how to get motivated, join a group like weight watchers if you need support. I always found needing to look good for a trip and or special occasion was helpful.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Riprap wrote:Look back at photographs from the 1940s and 1950s. Fat and overweight people were the exception, skinny people were the norm. Look at photographs today. Fat and overweight people are plentiful and skinny people are more rare. What has changed? For one, the author of Wheat Belly says the nature of wheat has changed with genetic breeding but our body's response to metabolizing it has not. One of the best books I have ever read on general nutrition written by a medical doctor.
Decades ago people got a lot more exercise. They did a lot more walking to get places. I can remember my grandmother walking downtown to go grocery shopping (and taking me with her. I though my five year old legs were going to fall off.)

Now high school parking lots are full of cars. No high school student had a car in my day. We walked or took the bus

Minot

Post by Minot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

The people I'd like to hear from are those of you who have lost >30 pounds and have kept it off for >3 years. How did/do you do it? Not so much what you do and don't eat, or what kind of exercise you do--but how do you stay committed?What do you tell yourself, what do you do, when your weight starts creeping up, or when you're tired of the extra work it takes to eat well, or....?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Minot wrote:The people I'd like to hear from are those of you who have lost >30 pounds and have kept it off for >3 years. How did/do you do it? Not so much what you do and don't eat, or what kind of exercise you do--but how do you stay committed?What do you tell yourself, what do you do, when your weight starts creeping up, or when you're tired of the extra work it takes to eat well, or....?
Not sure this helps, but I lost over 60lbs. in about 4 months 10yrs ago and have kept it all off. But my situation is different, was a D1 football player transitioning to the real world; I was already in very good shape, just felt no need to stay at 260lbs. Did not change a thing about my exercise habits (I'd exercised daily my entire life), just eliminated all the processed junk I had been consuming before to keep my weight up and the weight melted off. To me it's not a chore or a matter of commitment, it's just my lifestyle.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Minot wrote:The people I'd like to hear from are those of you who have lost >30 pounds and have kept it off for >3 years. How did/do you do it? Not so much what you do and don't eat, or what kind of exercise you do--but how do you stay committed?What do you tell yourself, what do you do, when your weight starts creeping up, or when you're tired of the extra work it takes to eat well, or....?
Stop doing the activities that cause weight loss in order to lose weight and do them because you enjoy them. I don't ride a bike to lose weight. I ride a bike because I like to ride a bike. It just happens to cause weight to fall off.

It isn't just that you burn all the calories up, but when you realize how much work it is to burn off that 400 calorie chocolate milk, you think about just how much effort that 400 calories is going to cost you, and you put it back on the shelf at the grocery store. It's like investing that way. When you realize just how hard it is to make $5K with your investments, you start thinking twice about spending $5K unnecessarily.

But staying committed comes down to real lifestyle change. If you want to be thin, do what thin people do. If you want to be rich, do what rich people do.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:16 am

EmergDoc wrote:Stop doing the activities that cause weight loss in order to lose weight and do them because you enjoy them.
This is obviously great advice, but just note that it can be hard to practically implement on it's own. It's good to also have some go-to activities that you may not like, but which you've made peace with. For me it was the stationary bike at home. I hate it as much as anyone, but once I put a TV in front of it (rarely watch TV otherwise) and strapped on a heart rate monitor, it became manageable.

My take is that long-term success can really be bolstered by eliminating processed foods. These foods are designed to make you want to consume more, and they are extremely effective. The companies that make them aren't evil, they're businesses, and have a very good model. When you consider everything involved in procuring, preparing, cooking, and cleaning all whole foods all the time, it can be daunting. When you're a few years into it, it's just life.

One other thing...as you kind of allude to, there's a difference between taking health advice from people who've always been healthy and people who were fat and then got healthy. Along these lines are fat cells. I believe you create new fat cells on the journey into fatness, but as far as I can tell from the literature, I don't think you destroy them as you lose weight, at least not in the short term. You just empty them out. In that regard, you have a permanent "fat reservoir" that the always healthy don't have to contend with. So if you and your always-thin-friend go out for pizza and beer, you'll kind of blow up (at least relative to them). It's not the end of the world, it's just more suckage that comes from getting fat in the first place. Just reiterates that you need to do different things for the rest of your life, not simply while dropping weight.

Good Luck

dowse

Post by dowse » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:22 am

I joined a research project dedicated to the topic of how people keep the weight off. Subjects in the study need to have lost more than 30 pounds and kept if off for at least a year. Now, annually, I am asked to fill out a survey for them. It's run by a researcher at Brown, and the web site is here:

http://www.nwcr.ws/

There are links to their papers that you can download and read to gain some insight through their findings.

SHB

Post by SHB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 am

I lost ~50 Lb's (200 down to 150) that was about 4-5 years ago. I know how I got up that high so I know how to stop it. Its all about shifting baselines. No one gains 50 lb's in a day, week, month or quarter. It just slowly keep sup on you untill you realize...whoa somthings not right here. For me that was the day I stepped on the scale and saw the big 2-0-0.

Anyways its not about motiviation about keeping it off, for me its about not letting my baseline shift again. I weigh myself Tuesday and Saturdays and if my weight is over X on either day I do a mini fast/diet. My weight never goes over 150 and if it does its back under by the next weigh in. But usually this is not a problem. For me its about that "hard stop" and not allowing anything to creep up again.

Minot

Post by Minot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 am

dowse wrote:I joined a research project dedicated to the topic of how people keep the weight off. Subjects in the study need to have lost more than 30 pounds and kept if off for at least a year. Now, annually, I am asked to fill out a survey for them. It's run by a researcher at Brown, and the web site is here:

http://www.nwcr.ws/

There are links to their papers that you can download and read to gain some insight through their findings.
Thank you, Dowse! That looks like a helpful source. I've already found one paper that tells me something I didn't know about weight maintanance.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:34 am

Fat is like debt in many ways. It's a lot harder to take off than it is to put on. And once you have it it can impact your hormones and mobility in ways that make it that much harder to shed, just like the compounding interest on debt can cause a spiral that seems impossible to escape. Many people don't have the incredible discipline it takes to pull out of either one of those scenarios.

It's easy for people who have never been overweight to say "just eat less and exercise!" It's also easy for those who have never been in debt on a tight income to say "just spend less and invest!"

For me personally I have found that careful planning (i.e. obsessing and overanalyzing with color coded spreadsheets, iphone app trackers and the like) has helped me both with finances and with weight management. Or at least it gives me some semblance of control. I "budget" and track my calories using MyFitnessPal just like I do my money on Mint. When I do that, I lose weight. When I quit for awhile, it creeps back up. Tracking obsessively for a few weeks or even months here and there helps me learn what calories, fat, protein, and fiber are in certain foods so that I'm able to live and intuitively eat better even when not looking up every item later. I don't have to check Mint to know when I'm overspending now, and I'm getting to the point where I don't have to count calories to know when I'm overeating either.

FWIW I really agree with the idea that exercise is overrated as a weight loss tool. It's like obsessing about your asset allocation instead of your savings rate. Helpful, and important once you're already in great shape, but ancillary to the main goal if weight loss is your focus (obviously for health exercise is vital). I spent years increasing my exercise to 5-6 times a week and getting super fit with all kinds of high intensity running and crossfit type routines along with getting very good at yoga. I love exercise and it keeps me healthy and sane, but it did not move the scale at all. Only cutting calories has ever worked for me for weight loss. Learning to eat healthy helped so I feel fuller on less calories (veggies not starches, whole wheat not refined, lean meat not fatty cuts, natural not processed, etc). Still a daily battle (mainly because I like to drink and eat out nearly daily due to work), but I do my best. There's no secret to motivation I have found. Some months I don't care much and eat whatever I want (esp when travelling), and then later my pants are tight and I kick myself and go on a tear to make up for it. I haven't mastered the art of balancing either budget - calories or money. I am usually either indulging dramatically or cutting back dramatically in a roller coaster fashion. The end result is balance, but it's a volatile ride.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Not quite 3 years, but reading (and rereading) health, nutrition and related books and articles on the overwhelming evidence that being overweight and obese greatly increases various kinds of health problems (from diabetes to some kinds of cancer to heart disease to strokes). Being a "numbers" and "scientific" person, books and articles on just how (in ways that can be understood by someone not in the medical field) excess weight and excess fat lead to the many health problems helps keep me "motivated".

boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm

I follow a high-carbohydrate eating plan advocated by [Name removed by admin LadyGeek]. It is a very inexpensive way to eat as the center of the diet is starchy carbohydrates such as white potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, grains and legumes. I know it's not for everyone but I find it very satisfying and filling and I love potatoes. [Website referenced removed by admin LadyGeek] Since starting this way of eating a few months ago, my BMI dropped to 20(from 23) and is staying there. The biggest surprise for me was finding out that there is protein in most foods (except for fruits) and that if one is eating enough calories, they are getting enough protein.

[Endorsement of diet removed by admin LadyGeek]

Also, a book I highly recommend that goes into the psychological reasons we have such a hard time losing weight, is The Pleasure Trap, by Douglas J Lisle, Ph.D.

bg

derosa

Post by derosa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:53 pm

The only plan that works is:
1. Eat Less.
2. Do More.

All the plans work because they all follow this formula. The govenment studied all these plans and earlier this year released a report that said - no surprise - they all work. And the all work because - IF YOU FOLLOW THEM - you will eat less and do more.

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Check out [Author and book reference removed by admin LadyGeek] It's a whole foods, low fat, plant based diet. It's great in that you can eat as much as you want-- so you aren't hungry all the time. I don't follow his diet 100%. I still eat some animal products--fish, chicken, or cheese. I think that I follow his diet 80 to 90 % of the time and it's been great ---I've lost weight and kept it off and I'm never hungry. Also check out Vegan Before 6:00 by Mark Bittman. He lost 35 pounds with his diet.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 pm

We've had two members recommend the same diet (first and third post above this one). I removed the identifying information because, together, it may be misconstrued as medical advice. See: Forum Policy
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Observation: Note the difference in descriptions for the same diet, which is why one needs to be careful when interpreting information on an anonymous internet forum.

Please stay on-topic, which is the practicality of weight loss plans.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:15 pm

I just got an email that my HMO (Kaiser Permanente) has a weight loss program (called Balance) as part of its FREE (technically part of what our premiums pay for) member services. I suspect many organizations, health insurance plans and employers may offer such no or low cost programs.

plato's caveman

Post by plato's caveman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:21 pm

"It's easy for people who have never been overweight to say "just eat less and exercise!" It's also easy for those who have never been in debt on a tight income to say "just spend less and invest!"

I dunno. Either the proposition "eat less and exercise more --> weight control" is true or it isn't. I'm not sure it matters whether or not the person saying it has ever been overweight.

Emergdoc's suggestion is important -- find something active you like to do and do it. As for a boglehead workout, here's the cheapest workout I know of -- no equipment, no memberships, and not much space needed other than the equivalent of a prison cell: burpees (with pushups) on the minute for a total of 200 burpees, i.e. 4 burpees x 50 minutes or 8 burpees x 25 minutes or whatever one is capable of doing. Gives you cardio, legs, arms, core in one efficient package, and frees up time for everything else.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Lucky3
You might try TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) http://www.tops.org/ It's basically a support group for those who need encouragement to stay focused on their weight-loss goals.

Minot

Post by Minot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 pm

plato's caveman wrote:"It's easy for people who have never been overweight to say "just eat less and exercise!" It's also easy for those who have never been in debt on a tight income to say "just spend less and invest!"

I dunno. Either the proposition "eat less and exercise more --> weight control" is true or it isn't. I'm not sure it matters whether or not the person saying it has ever been overweight.
It's not so much a question of whether it's true or not, but whether it's helpful.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 am

Minot wrote:
plato's caveman wrote:"It's easy for people who have never been overweight to say "just eat less and exercise!" It's also easy for those who have never been in debt on a tight income to say "just spend less and invest!"

It's not so much a question of whether it's true or not, but whether it's helpful.
I used to think it didn't matter (simple thermodynamics), but it probably does. If you take a few extremes for middle-aged people;

a. always fit/active/healthy
b. sedentary/inactive/obese
c. person b who has transformed into a fit/active/healthy person for 3+ years (visually indistinguishable from person a)

1. Metabolic rate varies. This is often used as an excuse for obesity, but it's also a cited as a reason to exercise (muscle is more metabolically active that fat). Not eating enough calories can make it difficult for bodybuilders to shed fat during a cut. Just because person a and c look the same doesn't necessarily mean they have the same metabolic rate. (Regularly monitoring your body temperature is good feedback for general health, along with BP, weight, waistline).

2. Capacity to store excess calories. If the path to obesity results not just in more adipose tissue in terms of mass, but more adipocytes, and these cells aren't eliminated with weight loss but merely have their contents depleted, then person a and person c wouldn't be the same even if they appear the same. It's just a thought. It's not unreasonable to think there could be similar hypothetical differences.

3. Hunger. Anecdotally you might assume that person a is generally not running around hungry or actively employing specific hunger damping practices, while person c may be. If that were the case, then person a and person c wouldn't be the same.

Hunger is really interesting. In the case of obesity, it clearly has nothing to do with energy requirements, so what's going on? Why are fat people hungry? I'll guess;

- Hunger reflects a nutritional deficiency? There's evidence that most people are deficient in some common minerals, like magnesium. Eating an unhealthy diet which is rich in nutritionally empty calories and leads to obesity may exacerbate that deficiency, and hunger may be the body's attempt to rectify it.

- Hunger is an addiction response? Processed food is admittedly designed to make you want to consume more. It's possible that a diet centered around these foods may result in a physical dependency.

People are obviously different in many ways, and I've kind of shied away from the concept that they are all the same with regard to obesity. Successful transformations will undoubtedly incorporate many generally sound principles, but I suspect they will each have a personal touch as well.

Good Luck

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 am

engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
I would like to see some evidence to support that wild statement(and not a quote from a subjective weight loss book). Exercise does affect weight unless you eat more to compensate for the exercise. It is common sense to expect that if you take in less calories and you burn off more calories than you will lose weight.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

plato's caveman

Post by plato's caveman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46 am

SPG8 wrote:
Minot wrote:

I used to think it didn't matter (simple thermodynamics), but it probably does. If you take a few extremes for middle-aged people;

a. always fit/active/healthy
b. sedentary/inactive/obese
c. person b who has transformed into a fit/active/healthy person for 3+ years (visually indistinguishable from person a)

1. Metabolic rate varies. This is often used as an excuse for obesity, but it's also a cited as a reason to exercise (muscle is more metabolically active that fat). Not eating enough calories can make it difficult for bodybuilders to shed fat during a cut. Just because person a and c look the same doesn't necessarily mean they have the same metabolic rate. (Regularly monitoring your body temperature is good feedback for general health, along with BP, weight, waistline).

2. Capacity to store excess calories. If the path to obesity results not just in more adipose tissue in terms of mass, but more adipocytes, and these cells aren't eliminated with weight loss but merely have their contents depleted, then person a and person c wouldn't be the same even if they appear the same. It's just a thought. It's not unreasonable to think there could be similar hypothetical differences.

3. Hunger. Anecdotally you might assume that person a is generally not running around hungry or actively employing specific hunger damping practices, while person c may be. If that were the case, then person a and person c wouldn't be the same.

Hunger is really interesting. In the case of obesity, it clearly has nothing to do with energy requirements, so what's going on? Why are fat people hungry? I'll guess;

- Hunger reflects a nutritional deficiency? There's evidence that most people are deficient in some common minerals, like magnesium. Eating an unhealthy diet which is rich in nutritionally empty calories and leads to obesity may exacerbate that deficiency, and hunger may be the body's attempt to rectify it.

- Hunger is an addiction response? Processed food is admittedly designed to make you want to consume more. It's possible that a diet centered around these foods may result in a physical dependency.

People are obviously different in many ways, and I've kind of shied away from the concept that they are all the same with regard to obesity. Successful transformations will undoubtedly incorporate many generally sound principles, but I suspect they will each have a personal touch as well.

Good Luck
Agreed. "Weight loss journeys" will all be different and advice should be individualized and sound. But suppose I -- in all my personal biomechanical idiosyncracies -- am learning how to shoot a pistol. My instructor tells me to "aim at the target by lining up the sights in this specific way." For the purposes of shooting well, why would the same true advice be more "helpful" if my instructor were once a very bad pistol shooter v. always a good shooter? Now if my purpose was to feel "understood and validated"....

I have a friend who fought muay Thai for 9 years and he swears that most of life is "mental." I believe him. At some point, we have to choose between being healthier whether or not we feel good/understood/validated along the way, and being healthier only if we feel good/understood/validated along the way. If we choose the first option, then it won't matter where true / good advice is coming from. It will be true, good, and by definition, helpful. Of course, the same goes for financial health.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 am

bengal22 wrote:
engineer1969 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
I would like to see some evidence to support that wild statement(and not a quote from a subjective weight loss book). Exercise does affect weight unless you eat more to compensate for the exercise. It is common sense to expect that if you take in less calories and you burn off more calories than you will lose weight.
I think where many people go wrong is that they get on a machine for 30 min., it tells them they just burned 400 calories, then then assume they can add 400 calories to their next meal. The fallacy is that you would have burned some calories anyway just to breath, pump blood and maintain body temperature. Plus, now they are more likely to do less after exercising due to fatigue. So, if they now consume those additional 400 calories, it's a net increase. BTW, I think it's worth starting another thread on cost-effective gym plans.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:00 am

Weigh yourself every morning, note weight, eat accordingly.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm

dowse wrote:BTW, I think it's worth starting another thread on cost-effective gym plans.
Which is here: Best deals on gyms (started by dowse)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:59 pm

EmergDoc wrote: Ever seen a fat professional cyclist?
Yes, see Fat Man on a Bicycle.

As to someone else's comment about calorie restriction and longevity, I think the latest research is sorry, not related in humans.

Minot

Post by Minot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:55 pm

plato's caveman wrote:I have a friend who fought muay Thai for 9 years and he swears that most of life is "mental." I believe him. At some point, we have to choose between being healthier whether or not we feel good/understood/validated along the way, and being healthier only if we feel good/understood/validated along the way. If we choose the first option, then it won't matter where true / good advice is coming from. It will be true, good, and by definition, helpful. Of course, the same goes for financial health.
And what kinds of input might make it more likely that we choose the first option?
My guess is that at least some of what is helpful for you may not be helpful for me, and visa versa.

robjer

Post by robjer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Easiest one ever for me is the 5-2 plan where on 2 days a week one eats only 600 calories while the other 5 days is eating regular.
Easy to do but not a really fast weight loss although steady.

I've found the other 5 days I seem to eat less as well.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:23 pm

steve roy wrote:Weigh yourself every morning, note weight, eat accordingly.
That's (basically) what I do, and have done for several years. I lost the first 20 pounds by changing eating habits, and weighed myself only occasionally (do not have a scale at home). Then, when I started going to the gym almost every morning, I weigh myself there. I don't think this is always the best for everyone. If it helps you, weigh yourself every day - as long as you recognize that ups and downs a pound or two is very normal. If weighing yourself once a week, or once every two weeks - and you lose weight that way - that is fine as well.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:52 am

frugaltype wrote:
EmergDoc wrote: Ever seen a fat professional cyclist?
Yes, see Fat Man on a Bicycle.

As to someone else's comment about calorie restriction and longevity, I think the latest research is sorry, not related in humans.
Guess I should have been more specific. A professional bike RACER!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course