[Kuala Lumpur] KL, Malaysia

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OneWorld111

[Kuala Lumpur] KL, Malaysia

Post by OneWorld111 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:50 pm

What would the must see things in KL for someone visiting for business for 5 days? One Sunday and remaining weekdays ( only evenings)

And Also things to shop?

Thanks,
energy2350

l2ridehd

Re: KL, Malaysia

Post by l2ridehd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 am

The Petronas Towers, both the top and the shopping mall on the first 7 levels, also shop at Central Market, visit a Mosque, sample the night life (Beach Club), a couple good restaurants, (Nero Navo and the stairs in Mala, can't recall the name but ask what the word for stairs is in Malaysian), buy a new suit at the Asia Taylor in the lobby of the Renaissance Hotel, also some new shirts. He still has my measurements and I just call him and order and he sends me new suits. If your adventurous, take a walk through China Town. Have had some good food and some awful food there so at your own risk. But you can buy lots of stuff really cheap. Software and DVD movies are like 10 ringgits. But again buyer beware.

Fun city but maintain a low profile as it is a very Muslim city and they don't like Americans. One person working for me was in a taxi from the airport, (a 70 km trip to downtown) and when the driver learned is was from the US, threw him out of the taxi on a 4 lane highway and left him there. Hire a Chinese driver if possible.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 am

I would take the express train from the airport to the central train station and then take a taxi to your hotel. Your hotel may also offer a car service.

The street market in Chinatown was interesting. It is best if you go there with a local or someone who has been there before. The nasty smell is likely ripe durian fruit (the locals claim it tastes like ice cream).

Main thing if you aren't used to travel in emerging market countries is to keep an open mind. Life there is different -- not better or worse, different. You will almost certainly see some things that make you scratch your head, some things that are amusing, and some things that you find offensive if you are easily offended. You can view this as an opportunity to learn more about another culture or not, but whatever you do don't become the "ugly American". I would tell a taxi driver that I was Canadian. Go to REI and buy a jungle outfit (lightweight long pants and long sleeve shirt that you can rinse out and dry overnight). KL has become a vacation destination for Muslims who don't want to travel to Europe or the US so expect to see large families in your hotel and some nice shopping malls catering to wealthy tourists in parts of KL.

Be VERY careful about using your credit card. It is still a cash society so plan to pay for your meals, shopping and other expenses in ringgits. Use only ATMs that are affiliated with banks, preferably in the airport, inside a bank, or hotel lobby. I only used my credit card at the Marriott to pay my bill and airport/hotel ATM machines and still had a fraudulent airline charge show up on my account. Airline tickets are resold on the black market.

Enjoy your trip, it is a unique place to visit and at least when I was there 5 years ago it had a very upbeat, positive vibe.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm

l2ridehd wrote:Fun city but maintain a low profile as it is a very Muslim city and they don't like Americans. One person working for me was in a taxi from the airport, (a 70 km trip to downtown) and when the driver learned is was from the US, threw him out of the taxi on a 4 lane highway and left him there. Hire a Chinese driver if possible.
Hmmm, I must have visited a different KL than this comment would indicate. We spent five days on a three week tour in Malaysia, stayed in the Indian (Tamil) part of town, ate in the Chinese section, and walked everywhere. We were fascinated by the women in headscarves and skin tight jeans, the women in headscarves pumipng gas, and the overall tolerance that we experienced.

This is not to minimize some of the serious divisions within Malaysian society, but it was a great place to visit, the food was fantastic and varied, and the prices, while not Thailand low, were quite reasonable.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Kuala Lumpur] KL, Malaysia

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (travel). I also retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah, I had never even heard of anti-Americanism there, and I would certainly never lie about my nationality. If there is brooding resentment there, it is by minorities against the Malay majority. I have found the people there incredibly friendly.

Malaysia is probably my favorite food destination. English is widely spoken in KL. Try the Teh Terik!

Malaysia is far enough along economically speaking that I almost don't think of it as an emerging country anymore -- and a quick check shows PPP of $17,000 per capita, 70% higher than Thailand and higher than any Latin American country except for Chile.

Before you take any taxi ride to the airport, make sure the fare is clear and mutually agreed upon *before* departing. This goes even if you are being picked up at the hotel by a taxi that they called. Always confirm everything with the *driver* before leaving. Also, I can remember everyone warning me to really guard your stuff on any train.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:27 am

l2ridehd wrote: Fun city but maintain a low profile as it is a very Muslim city and they don't like Americans.
I lived in Kuala Lumpur as a US expat from 1996 to 1999. My experience was very much the opposite. The locals were friendly and I felt very safe walking around in KL. I could imagine letting my wife walk downtown at midnight, it was that safe.

The muslim religion is not an issue for westerners. The country is made up of Malays (primarily Muslim), Chinese (primarily Buddist) and Indians (primarily Hindu). The three cultures and religions get all quite well together and the tolerance of people who are different is probably better than we see here in America.

It has been quite a while since I was in Malaysia, so any recommendations for travel would be dated. The only thing I can think of is to look into the local pewter (Royal Selangor) as a potential souvenir.

Best wishes.
Andy

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am

The KL Tower provides a much better view of KL than the Petronas Tower's viewing platform does. The Petronas Towers aren't even really worth your time, in my view.

The Islamic Arts museum is very good, but as I recall it had a no-shoe policy and the minature models of various mosques got a little repetitive after a while. Still, it is worth a visit if you have any interest at all in that sort of thing.

I personally didn't find the street food to be appealing and I was concerned about sanitary standards. It isn't Singapore, by any means.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:47 pm

I like KL, will probably be back again later this year. I never felt the need to pretend to be a Canadian in Malaysia or anywhere in Asia. Take the airport express to Sentral station and from there take a taxi to your hotel, KLCC isn't very far and our hotel stays in KLCC have been pleasant. As has been stated by others, Malaysia is a Muslim country but it's not so Muslim that you'll have trouble finding a ham sandwich and a beer to wash it down with. Try the Nasi Kandar food, it's fantastic. If it's shopping you want go to Bukit Bintang, it's right on the monorail line. In Bukit Bintang go to Sungei Wang, it's a multi story hodge podge of stores and stalls of all kinds, food too. http://www.sungeiwang.com/

dandan14

Post by dandan14 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Sure -- Petronas Towers are a marvel of engineering. You can't miss them if you are in KL. But also be sure to spend some time walking around normal streets, eat at a local restaurant, order some Nasi Lemak, visit some temples, etc. Batu Caves are touristy -- but pretty cool.
(A taxi to the Batu caves will cost you a fortune. We got ripped off on a taxi to the caves, but took the local bus back to the city center (it dropped us off at the Towers) for $.50 USD or so.