Boston this weekend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author

Boston this weekend

Post by 64415 »

Hi,

I will be in Boston for a meeting from Thursday thru Monday. My wife and I are staying at the Fairmont Copley. I always appreciate bogleheads sharing their recommendations for restaurants and entertainment venues. We are not renting a car. We live in fly over country, so we try to emphasize ethnic dining, museums, live music and any unique shopping venues (my wife anyway), when in a major metroplitan area.

Sincerely, Sebastian
House Blend

Re: Boston this weekend

Post by House Blend »

Recent thread, although more aimed at family-type activities:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=122290

For museums, I suggest the Museum of Fine Arts.
For interesting shopping, Newbury Street and the Back Bay more generally.
For dining, I don't have a specific recommendation, but there's a lot
to like in the North End. (Does Italian count as ethnic?)

Just remembered: last year, I ate at Casa Romero. (A few blocks from you, in Back Bay, but on a hard to find back street. Seriously done Mexican food, not gringo-ized.)
Last edited by House Blend on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Durgin Park Restaurant & Faneuil Hall Market
The USS Constitution
Freedom Trail (esp the Old North Church)
Noname Restaurant
MFA (Museum of Fine Arts)
Museum of Science
Boston Symphony Hall (best acoustics in the Western Hemisphere)
dpbsmith

Post by dpbsmith »

GREAT location for exploring without car. GREAT walking neighborhood. The weather should be nice Saturday and tolerable Sunday. I don't know whether the shopping venues are particularly "unique" but once you cross one street you enter a complex that includes several major shopping malls/plazas connected by enclosed glass walkways. More to your wife's taste might be the dozens of clothing shops that line Newbury Street, a short walk away. You are within moderate walking distance of the Public Garden and Boston Common, and very close to the Back Bay station on the Orange Line.

I would like to mention one museum-y thing, not as being necessarily wonderful, but as being completely UNIQUE. The Mapparium in the Christian Science complex is within easy walking distance of your hotel. The complex itself is a pleasant walk with a reflecting pool and fountains.

Given your location, I absolutely would make time to duck into the Boston Public Library (the original McKim building, of course) which is an interesting building and contains an interesting clutter of murals and sculptures and things. It tells you that the people who built that library took libraries seriously. A British writer wrote in 1912 gushed that the Puvis de Chavannes murals on the grand staircase of the Public Library were "theloveliest modern thing I saw in America... never shall I forget my agitation on beholding these unsurpassed works of art, which alone would suffice to make Boston a place of pilgrimage." I can take 'em or leave 'em myself. But the library is worth half an hour, an hour, they sometimes have interesting exhibits in it. And free.

And you certainly might look into the H. H. Richardson-designed Trinity Church just across the way.

If you don't have a good view from your hotel, I like the Prudential Skywalk, obvious as it is, and regard it as good tourist value.

For performances, Blue Man Group is now a sort of national franchise I guess--I think Boston was its second venue--but if you haven't seen it, I think you should. It's surefire.
greenspam

Post by greenspam »

go into any sports bar in Bahhhhstan this weekend
and watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth
as the Yanks sweep the Red Sox....
(i'm hoping)
--------------------------------------------------------------
or perhaps there will be cheers and beers if their beloved Sox
beat up on the Yanks...
as always, | peace, | greenie.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

There have been several threads about this recently. You can find more if you do a search.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=122290
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Ethnic dining wise, there are lots of good yet smallish oriental restaurants in the area, both in Cambridge (where I used to work) and in Chinatown. You could so a quick check on trip advisor, filtered by cuisine, to locate good options.
There's even a user-defined map option that is helpful for finding something within a certain distance which is good if you are without a car.

Full disclosure: I ate oriental lunches from various Food Trucks in Kendall Square Cambridge area for YEARS...
Attempted new signature...
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

If it's nice weather, you should go to Cambridge Canoe and Kayak (http://www.paddleboston.com/kendall.php) and go canoeing along the Charles. For restaurants, here are a few of my favorites:

Taranta (Italian)
Mama Maria (Italian)
Oleana (Turkish)
Helmand (Afghani)
Toro (Spanish)
Gaslight Brasserie du Coin (French)
Rendezvous (French)
Harvest (American)
Henrietta's Table (American)
Upstairs on the Square (American)

For museums, check out the MFA and the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, which are right next to each other. For shopping, check out the Newbury St./ Back Bay area, as well as the Copley Mall. For live music, check out Middle East in Central Square, although this tends to be a younger/grittier crowd.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

The MFA, sure. But don't forget the nearby Gardner museum!

www.gardnermuseum.org
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
abonder

Post by abonder »

Lots of great suggestions. I'd second the Boston public library. In the old building, there's a great indoor courtyard and a little cafe where you can get coffee and even some light fare. Nice to sit outside if the weather cooperates.

All the museum suggestions are great, especially if you have some less-then-perfect weather. I also like walking along the esplande (path along the Charles on the Boston side of the river). Also nice to walk across the Charles on the Massachusetts avenue bridge - the walk itself isn't particularly special but you'll catch some excellent views of the city.

As for restraunts - lots of good options. Agree that there's a lot in the north end if you like Italian. All pretty reasonable and delicious, can get a little busy on weekends. Yelp is a great way to sort through everything.

Copley fairmount is great hotel and stellar location. The concierge should be able to help with additional recs for entertainment and eating.

Just walking is probably my favorite and your location in back bay is uber central. Nice adjacent walking areas include Beacon Hill, Fenway, south end. Hope you enjoy!
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Live music? If you like jazz, try Wally's Jazz Cafe on Massachusetts Avenue, about a block south of Symphony Hall in the South End.

I guarantee you will be the only "tourist" in the place. Wally's is the last remaining jazz cafe from the real old days.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
travellight

Post by travellight »

I love the Fairmont Copley! Quite possibly my favorite hotel in Boston. Their bar downstairs has been redone and is stunning; although I had liked the old version as well. In addition to the other suggestions, Beacon Hill is a nice walk. Definitely pop in the library near you, the reading room on the second floor is so stunning and elegant.
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

Take the "T" to Charlestown and climb the bunker hill monument and eat at the historic Warren Tavern. Take a walk down Commonwealth Avenue from the Boston Commons and admire the beautiful brownstones then walk back via Newbury street (or vice versa). there is one that is a museum that you can visit, you can look that up as as well as other things, on trip Advisor. Don't spend much time at Fanieul Hall if you go. don't miss the North End particularly at night for dinner or dessert/coffee. Be sure to explore Beacon Hill's cobblestone streets/townhouses/gas lights and shops/restaurants on Charles Street.

Highly recommend Henrietta's at the charles hotel in Harvard square Cambridge.
Last edited by beachplum on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

I lived in Boston many years ago and recently went back to visit. I loved Regina's (pizza) in the North End, and Mike's Pastry (also in the North End) when I lived there, and are both still great!! (And the North End is where the "one if by land, two if by sea" lanterns were lit for Paul Revere.)

Right around the corner from the Statehouse (near your hotel, too) is a small graveyard where many well known historical figures from the Revolutionary War days are buried. You can walk the entire city in a day...its that small... but crammed with history.

Have a great time. I love that place!
ualdriver

Post by ualdriver »

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... setts.html

I highly recommend Free Tours by Foot. I grew up in MA and have been to Boston many times, but somehow this tour had escaped my attention until this past summer. I did the Freedom Trail tour and it was excellent. The guy that did the tour was "quirky" but VERY entertaining and extremely knowledgeable. It is a very detailed historical tour, so if you're with kids they'll probably get bored unless they enjoy history. If you have any interest in learning about Boston's great past, and you don't want the generic tourist diatribe given by most other public tours, they are the guys to visit.

BTW, they're free, but not really. You're not obligated to pay a dime, but obviously the tour guide works on tips. Also, if you check out the link above, you'll see that it's one the highest rated activities in Boston on Trip Advisor.
Topic Author

Post by 64415 »

Thank you so much for all the responses! I have read through each with great interest. My wife and I are very excited for our trip today. The jazz bar will definitely be on our list, as well as the Boston library, Free Tour, and maybe the canoing if the weather cooperates. I am excited to sample as many of the restaurant suggestions as possible.

Warmest Regards, Sebastian
dyeusdi

Post by dyeusdi »

Voting up some of the previous responses:

The Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is one of my favorite places in the city. It and the MFA make a good pairing as they are completely different in atmosphere and presentation. The Atheneum might be interesting too, but I've never actually gone as it's only open during the day. The Prudential walk is very much with it for the view, and really understanding the layout of the city. If you're looking down on grid streets, that means it used to be a bay or river basin.

Oleana is amazing, but out of the way from downtown. Make a reservation if you go, and take a cab. The Harvard Square restaurants above (Harvest, Henrietta's, Upstairs) should tie in better with a walking trip around the yard. Mistral is close to Copley and worth a look at the menu. All of these are "nice" places to eat.

My favorite Boglehead meal is Dino's in the North End (intersection prince & salem). Counter service but restaurant quality. The locals rely on it for take-home meals. I always go with the pumpkin mascarpone ravioli.

Worth noting: this weekend is Boston Calling, a first annual indy music festival. Government center and its plaza will be busier than usual.
"You've got to be old with money because to be old without it is just too awful, you've got to be | one or the other, either young or with money, you can't be old and without it."
Code Commit

Post by Code Commit »

If you are planning to visit Museum of Fine Arts, then a Bank of America debit or credit card will give you free entry this weekend.

http://museums.bankofamerica.com/

The other free museum this weekend is MIT Museum (which I have not visited).
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

+1 to Durgin Park-- great local food (fish, baked beans, corn bread, chowdah). It's on one side of Quincy Market which you're bound to go past.
+1 to Bunker Hill.
+1 to the North End. On a weekday, you might try Mangia-Mangia on Endicott Street for lunch (they close mid-afternoon). Mangia-Mangia is a neighbourhood lunch counter. They have the best burgers in Boston and a huge amount of local flavour. Having lived previously in the North End, this place is a favourite.
+1 to Fenway Park. There's no place like Fenway if you like baseball.
Have fun-- Boston is a "totally wicked awesome" city!
Cheers,
BC Doc
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

greenspam wrote:go into any sports bar in Bahhhhstan this weekend
and watch the wailing and gnashing of teeth
as the Yanks sweep the Red Sox....
(i'm hoping)
--------------------------------------------------------------
or perhaps there will be cheers and beers if their beloved Sox
beat up on the Yanks...
sorry, but I believe their were cheers and beers last night.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

From your hotel walk over to Commonwealth Ave. and head east. Go through the Public Garden and the Common. Ask directions and walk through Faneuil Hall Market over to Christopher Columbus Park next to the Marriott. From there head north and over to the North End. Walk down Hanover St. and have dinner at any restaurant you want. Can't go wrong. After dinner go back to Columbus Park and take the Harborwalk past the Aquarium and around the condos and past the Boston Harbor Hotel. If you're not too tired, continue across the bridge and proceed behind the courthouse along the waterfront. Keep going and you'll get to the Seaport District. Stop in at any of the bars (I like Jerry Remy's), have a drink and watch some sports on the giant screen TVs. Then take a cab back to the Fairmont for a nightcap.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
greenspam

Post by greenspam »

Yes, beachplum, and there was wailing and gnashing of teeth in my house.
But it was a classic yanks-sox game which I thoroughly enjoyed and perhaps tonite's outcome shall differ...
Or not...
as always, | peace, | greenie.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

greenspam wrote:Yes, beachplum, and there was wailing and gnashing of teeth in my house.
But it was a classic yanks-sox game which I thoroughly enjoyed and perhaps tonite's outcome shall differ...
Or not...
The Red Sox offence has been on fire. 41 runs scored in the past three games. Unbelievable. After watching the Sox come from behind to take game two of the series, I tuned in to the Seattle-Tampa Bay game on here on the west coast hoping to see TB get knocked down. The baseball gods were smiling on Boston tonight-- Seattle won which puts the Sox 7.5 games up in the AL East. After the Red Sox September collapse in 2011, I'll take nothing for granted!
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Just got back from Boston. Try Cigar Masters on Boylston.
Topic Author

Post by 64415 »

Thanks again for all the advice. We enjoyed Wally's jazz cafe, it had a very interesting mix of patrons unified by their appreciation of good music. The best meal we had was at Mama Maria's. i had the Osso Buco which was divine. The wine was a disappointment, but we are not familiar with Itialian wines. We also enjoyed the clam chowder at the Warren Tavern which was recommended by a Boglehead. The second best meal we had and the least expensive by far was at Pho Basil on Massachusets Ave in the Back Bay neighborhood. We really enjoyed the duck entree and their soups.

The most magical moment of the trip was watching Rachel Price (whose vocal talents were recently praised in the Wall Street Journal) give a free performance in Copley Square at a post walk celebration for participants in the Jimmy Fund Walk.
The below deck tour of the USS Constitution was also an incredible experience.

We also greatly enjoyed the inspirational atmosphere of the Boston Public Library. Reading by the pool in the courtyard was wonderful. For me, the beauty of the murals inside highlighted the greatness of the citizenry of Boston from a bygone era, and called to mind the William F Buckley quote that he would rather be governed by the first 500 names in the Boston phone book.

Thanks again to all the Bogleheads whose recommendations made the trip so enjoyable, and a thanks goes out to the friendly people of Boston who made our stay pleasant.

Regards, Sebastian
travellight

Post by travellight »

Glad to hear you had such a great time!