European Football Tickets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
econ11

European Football Tickets

Post by econ11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm

My wife and I will be going to France and Portugal in Mid/Late December. We would like to see the football club Sporting Lisbon play on December 20. Does anyone know the best way to go about getting European football tickets? Many thanks!

Steelersfan

Re: European Football Tickets

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Unless they're playing a major rival they're unlikely to sell out. You can buy tickets at the gate or ahead of time at shops who sell tickets around town.

It looks like they're playing National and Sporting's stadium seats 50,000 people. I doubt if that will be a sell-out.

Be sure you get tickets on the side you're rooting for. If you're a Sporting fan and get tickets on the visitor's side it can be a long afternoon.

Also be aware that the actual date of the game might change to another day on the week-end, or even Friday or Monday to suit TV schedules. That happens a week or two ahead of time.

Here's a post on another board asking the same question about another game a couple of years ago.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189158-i203-k4799606-Sporting_Lisbon_tickets-Lisbon_Estremadura.html

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 am

econ11 wrote:My wife and I will be going to France and Portugal in Mid/Late December. We would like to see the football club Sporting Lisbon play on December 20. Does anyone know the best way to go about getting European football tickets? Many thanks!

Especially for really popular games, be careful of ticket fraud-- people selling tickets that are fakes or somehow invalid. There is a lot of that with big 'name' games.

econ11

Post by econ11 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks! It looks like the best way is just to go to the stadium a few days before the match. Thanks again for the tips!

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

I have no idea how to get tickets, but perhaps reading "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham would be fun. The book is about a not so good NFL player who decides to play American football (as opposed to soccer) in Italy.

DetroitRed

Post by DetroitRed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am

Just make sure you're not sitting in the visitor/rival section. Opposing fans don't intermingle in European soccer. You'd gets heaps of abuse hurled at you.