Laptop Dead After 2.5 years

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
patrick

Re: Laptop Dead After 2.5 years

Post by patrick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 pm

BrandonBogle wrote: Usually it would be one of these problems:
- Flash is out of date and needs to be updated
Hmmm ... according to http://forums.adobe.com/message/4723788 it seems the Windows version of flash had automatic updating before the Mac version did.

Edited to add: The others also seem a bit off to me. Web browsers crashing is not limited to Windows. I've never been able to make a Windows machine take 23 minutes to boot, and freezing 30 seconds on copy was the sort of thing that only happened to me back in 1996 when I was trying to use a machine with only 0.016 gigabytes of memory.
Last edited by patrick on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:41 pm

danwhite77 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
danwhite77 wrote: I'm glad you asked. Yes, I have in fact had a hard drive problem with my Mac . . . caused by Windows.
That seems...unlikely.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Then I discovered that nothing makes me more unhappy than a Blue Screen of Death that led to a light blue screen of a Mac that refused to boot. But sure enough, once I was able to get OS X up and running and delete everything on the Windows partition (and then format the partition back to be Mac compatible so that I had my entire hard drive available in Mac mode again) all was right in the world. I couldn't make this up if I wanted to, my imagination is not that powerful.
Incidentally, this is the exact way by which I came across my current Mac Book Pro. Windows crashed on her and then she couldn't get it to boot at all. The Apple Store said the hard drive would need to be replaced. She sold me the MBP, bought a new one (retina too), and I ordered a replacement drive from Amazon. When I get it, I realize that the hard drive could just be repartioned and get back up and running. I offered to give her back the laptop (she was a good friend), but she liked her new Retina display too much and told me to enjoy. Since I had the SSD drive anyway, I still swapped it out and am writing the response from the MBP. I told her next time to see me if the Apple Store cannot fix something before spending more money.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 pm

patrick wrote:
Hmmm ... according to http://forums.adobe.com/message/4723788 it seems the Windows version of flash had automatic updating before the Mac version did.
That doesn't help when this is NOT an administrator account logged in and thus, would get the asked to update over and over again.

patrick

Post by patrick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by patrick on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrick

Post by patrick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
patrick wrote:
That doesn't help when this is NOT an administrator account logged in and thus, would get the asked to update over and over again.
The web site seemed to say that it would work from standard accounts, but maybe not. It would be strange for Adobe to allow non-admin auto-update on the Mac but not on Windows, though it wouldn't be the strangest thing I'd ever heard of. Either way I seem to recall Apple recommending not to use Flash at all.

Edited to add: I must admit to being surprised by this -- I had though that using a non administrator account was rare for household use. It may well create some extra annoyance, but it also makes it harder for the user to wreck the machine!
Last edited by patrick on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dentist

Post by dentist » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 pm

my macbook (old white one) is going on just over 5 years. no problems with it. (besides replacing the battery - 20$ ebay)
my wife's macbook pro is going on 4.5 years. no problems with it, same battery. Both hard drives and motherboards are fine.
My wife wonders why anybody would buy anything else. She's now one of the biggest mac advocates.

We both had IBM thinkpads before. Night and day difference in terms of quality and reliability.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 pm

danwhite77 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
danwhite77 wrote: I'm glad you asked. Yes, I have in fact had a hard drive problem with my Mac . . . caused by Windows.
That seems...unlikely.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Then I discovered that nothing makes me more unhappy than a Blue Screen of Death that led to a light blue screen of a Mac that refused to boot. But sure enough, once I was able to get OS X up and running and delete everything on the Windows partition (and then format the partition back to be Mac compatible so that I had my entire hard drive available in Mac mode again) all was right in the world. I couldn't make this up if I wanted to, my imagination is not that powerful.
That doesn't implicate Windows. More than likely (by several orders of magnitude) it was Bootcamp. Besides, not being able to boot afterward would be a bug in OSX, not Windows. I think a big part of Microsoft's perception problem is that most people attribute to Windows problems that have absolutely nothing to do with the OS and attribute many problems in OSX itself to something else. Windows partitions are very easily recognizable and readable by other OSes. If OSX couldn't boot afterward, that is certainly a Mac bug. I guarantee Linux wouldn't have skipped a beat in that situation.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 pm

patrick wrote: Edited to add: I must admit to being surprised by this -- I had though that using a non administrator account was rare for household use. It may well create some extra annoyance, but it also makes it harder for the user to wreck the machine!
Mom is 700 miles away. I have her on a Standard user account and myself on an Administrator account. They hope is sans-catastrophic failure and I can get her online, then I can remote in to work on things. Plus it also makes sure she cannot accidentally install cr ap-ware!

On the flip side, I'm noticing Windows 8 does a much better job with Standard accounts than XP and Vista did. It's only been two-three months, but I've only been asked to help her once! And then it was more a factor of getting used to the Dell versus her old HP. The HP has a mute soft key with a light, so she could easily check if she was on mute. The Dell has a FN-key combo for mute, and Windows 8 had hid the sound icon, so she couldn't "see" it was on mute.

lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 am

danwhite77 wrote: But sure enough, once I was able to get OS X up and running and delete everything on the Windows partition (and then format the partition back to be Mac compatible so that I had my entire hard drive available in Mac mode again) all was right in the world. I couldn't make this up if I wanted to, my imagination is not that powerful.
To change the topic, what program do you use & how do you do the repartitioning & more importantly, can you take an existing drive with only 1 partition & split it into 2 without reinstalling everything? Does the program you use depend on whether you have a Mac or PC (I have a PC).

I've never partitioned a drive but I've thought about doing this (to create a Linux partition). I have a copy of PartitionMagic that's a few years out of date. Others have suggested I just run Linux virtually.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 am

nirvines88 wrote: What actions can I take, if any? Send a letter to the company? Just avoid HP in the future? Tweet at the company? (don't have Twitter, but I'm willing to try :D)

P.S. All my other computers have had long healthy lives, so I don't think it's me!
I would just trash it. That's good reason for switching to another brand name. Personally, I do not own an HP laptop all my laptops are Toshiba or Dell and never have any problem until I throw them away for tech refresh.

patrick

Post by patrick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 am

lindisfarne wrote:To change the topic, what program do you use & how do you do the repartitioning & more importantly, can you take an existing drive with only 1 partition & split it into 2 without reinstalling everything? Does the program you use depend on whether you have a Mac or PC (I have a PC).

I've never partitioned a drive but I've thought about doing this (to create a Linux partition). I have a copy of PartitionMagic that's a few years out of date. Others have suggested I just run Linux virtually.
Doing that is possible. It would involve two steps. First is to make the Windows partition smaller. Then you can create Linux partitions and install Linux on the vacated space.

PartitionMagic is certainly able to shrink partitions but if your version is too old it may not work.

If you are using Windows Vista (or later) then Windows itself can do this, in its Disk Management tool. However, it often can't shrink by very much since it won't move certain files.

A more flexible alternative is gparted. This runs on Linux (but can nonetheless resize Windows partitions), and is included on standard Linux Live CDs so it can be run before you've installed Linux.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 am

BrandonBogle wrote:
KyleAAA wrote: Perhaps you could give some example of the problems you are diagnosing and fixing every week? Neither I nor anybody I know has ever had that experience with a Windows box.
Usually it would be one of these problems:
- Wifi would cease providing Internet. Network Connection display would show connecting to proper WiFi (based on SSID name), but "Unknown network" and thus couldn't access any websites.
- Internet Explorer would stall "(Not Responding)" and need to be killed/"End Now"
- Startup time gradually grew to the point were it took 23 minutes back in March to go from the clicking the user icon at login to getting IE to display yahoo.com
- Blue Screen of Death (hasn't happened on the Win 7 machine)
- Selecting text and doing a copy causes machine to stall for upwards of 30 seconds. Mouse can move, but cannot click anything or switch programs.
- Clicking on Facebook links causes IE to change to a generic error page
- Desktop icons would move to different locations from restart to restart
- Some IE windows would open "off screen". Would minimize, maximize, restore a couple times before it showed up on the screen -- there is NO external monitor EVER connected to this laptop
- Sound would stop playing until restart, even when Sound Control Panel and/or Volume Mixer indicates mute is NOT enabled and volume is turned up

The above is in order of how often these issues came up, most often to least often.
I suggest getting an Exorcist. We have a household Windows 7 homegroup/network. 3 desktop machines, 2 3 tb network drives and 4 laptops routinely supported along with an IPAD. We never had any of the problems you mention except the issues with Flash (which is not a Windows problem) We do use Mozilla and Thunderbird.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 am

My experience with HP laptops is that they are junk. They also always run hot, in my experience.

Their tech support is overseas and incompetent, unless you hit the lottery and get a Canadian person, but I think they were doing away with the latter group. I have waited up to two hours on hold for authorization to send a warranted laptop in for repairs. The software warranty is worth nothing, because not only are the support people idiots, but the answer to everything is to reinstall the OS.

I have found ThinkPads to be much more reliable. Before I bought one, I called their customer service and a native English speaker answered in a minute or two.

dlw322

Post by dlw322 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 am

danwhite77 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
eharri3 wrote:My MACBOOK PRO is going on about 3 years now without a single malfunction. Breaks any record every set by a Windows machine in my house.
I just don't understand claims like this. Who exactly out there is having significant problems with a 3 year old Windows machine? I've owned many and I've NEVER had a problem with a machine less than 3 years old. I have more problems with my Mac at work than any Windows PC I've ever owned, and it's less than a year old.
I've owned three Windows laptops before switching to Mac and I've had this experience. I don't know what it is, but between three and four years my Windows laptops would routinely slow down and crash frequently, to the point that the computer was essentially useless (or the computer became infected with viruses). Hence my switch to Mac after using Windows for roughly two decades.
I had the same problem with HP laptops. The motherboard went on the first one when it was less than 2 years old. I did not have an extended warranty, I tried calling HP they would not do anything for me. I figured I just had a lemon so I gave them another chance the next HP laptop lasted a little over 2 years before it died also. I gave up on HP after that and I bought a Macbook Pro back in 2009 and it it still working perfectly. It was an adjustment getting used to using the different software but I'm glad I made the switch and will never go back to windows

danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:41 am

lindisfarne wrote:
danwhite77 wrote: But sure enough, once I was able to get OS X up and running and delete everything on the Windows partition (and then format the partition back to be Mac compatible so that I had my entire hard drive available in Mac mode again) all was right in the world. I couldn't make this up if I wanted to, my imagination is not that powerful.
To change the topic, what program do you use & how do you do the repartitioning & more importantly, can you take an existing drive with only 1 partition & split it into 2 without reinstalling everything? Does the program you use depend on whether you have a Mac or PC (I have a PC).

I just followed the Boot Camp instructions for partitioning the drive on my Mac. It was simple. I used to be fairly technically savvy back in college, but the older I get the less inclined I am to get technically aggressive with my computer. Speaking of Linux, I actually installed Ubuntu on an old PC many years ago.

That's another thing that I love about Apple. Back when I had a PC I would need to buy additional software to do certain things, like backup the hard drive. With my Mac, it just works. I click the Time Machine button and then spend my life doing other things that I enjoy more than fiddling with my computer (which is basically everything). Setting up Boot Camp was easy, too, no third party software (other than the OS on the new partition) was required.

As for whether it was a Mac or Windows issue, I suppose people can disagree. From my perspective, I had a problem with my Mac that appeared only after Windows crashed on it. Once Windows was removed, the Mac reverted to its normal terrific state. So whatever the underlying technical problem might be, and whether OS X is somehow flawed, from my perspective the solution to that problem was removing Windows and that's why I characterize it as a Windows related problem.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.

JJP

Post by JJP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

I'm still running a Lenovo T61 customized back in 2007 (shipped straight out of Asia) from the summer before I started college. Virtually everything is original except the screen, battery, and charger. It's a great laptop, and I swear by Lenovo because of it. I've thought about buying a bigger hard drive for it, but I don't feel like paying the money. Still only had to reformat it 2 times. It's running strong on 100GB of space. I'm still waiting for the day it dies though. :(

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm

dlw322 wrote: It was an adjustment getting used to using the different software but I'm glad I made the switch and will never go back to windows
But...none of those problems has anything to do with Windows, so why would you swear of Windows as a result of them? Why wouldn't you just purchase higher quality hardware instead?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

danwhite77 wrote:So whatever the underlying technical problem might be, and whether OS X is somehow flawed, from my perspective the solution to that problem was removing Windows and that's why I characterize it as a Windows related problem.
But it wasn't a Windows problem. It was a Mac problem. Reasonable people cannot disagree on that. Blaming an Apple problem on Microsoft doesn't change the fact that it is Apple's product that messed up.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:01 am

I did not realize laptops weren't supposed to last that long?
Last edited by Caduceus on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:25 am

UPDATE: Discover wants the following stuff to begin their review to determine if I'm eligible:

-Claim Form. Signed by Cardmember.
-Discover Card billing statement showing Cardmember name, account number and transaction charge
-Itemized charge receipt from retailer/other showing purchase transaction billed to Discover Card.
-Original manufacturer's warranty (complete warranty)
-Original purchased warranty (complete warranty)
-Itemized repair estimate from a service provider such as the manufacturer, retailer or repair shop

Not asking for much, are they? :shock:

The repair estimate is probably the only one that will be somewhat of a hassle. Luckily, I am within the time limit for Discover's extended warranty program, so barring anything unforeseen, I should be getting a refund.
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard

lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:12 pm

nirvines88 wrote:UPDATE: Discover wants the following stuff to begin their review to determine if I'm eligible:

-Claim Form. Signed by Cardmember.
-Discover Card billing statement showing Cardmember name, account number and transaction charge
-Itemized charge receipt from retailer/other showing purchase transaction billed to Discover Card.
-Original manufacturer's warranty (complete warranty)
-Original purchased warranty (complete warranty)
-Itemized repair estimate from a service provider such as the manufacturer, retailer or repair shop

Not asking for much, are they? :shock:

The repair estimate is probably the only one that will be somewhat of a hassle. Luckily, I am within the time limit for Discover's extended warranty program, so barring anything unforeseen, I should be getting a refund.
That list of items required is reasonable. This can remind people that if you're buying high-end items with the expectation they might need to use warranty protection on a credit car: you need to investigate what documentation you'll need to collect on that warranty. The above list is probably the minimum you'll need.

bayview

Post by bayview » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

ieee488 wrote:
danwhite77 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
eharri3 wrote:My MACBOOK PRO is going on about 3 years now without a single malfunction. Breaks any record every set by a Windows machine in my house.
I just don't understand claims like this. Who exactly out there is having significant problems with a 3 year old Windows machine? I've owned many and I've NEVER had a problem with a machine less than 3 years old. I have more problems with my Mac at work than any Windows PC I've ever owned, and it's less than a year old.
I've owned three Windows laptops before switching to Mac and I've had this experience. I don't know what it is, but between three and four years my Windows laptops would routinely slow down and crash frequently, to the point that the computer was essentially useless (or the computer became infected with viruses). Hence my switch to Mac after using Windows for roughly two decades.
But isn't the crashing a hard drive problem?
Are you saying you never had a hard drive problem with a Mac?

Research has shown that Mac owners are more forgiving of problems with their Macs than with PCs.
I guess they have to justify buying the Macs somehow.
Not hardly. I'm quick to carp about stuff, including Apple products.

But I've seen multiple Windows laptops failures in my extended family, and my MacBook Pro 15 is going strong, 4+ years later. I've pulled my hair out a couple of times while upgrading operating systems, etc. (operator error, certainly), but the dang thing just keeps working away, with heavy, heavy usage pretty much every day. I close the lid and put it in sleep mode, and next day open it back up and keep going. I routinely have 6 or more tabs open in Firefox and generally some other random apps open and minimized that I just forget to close. The only thing I gripe about is the Mac version of Office, which IMO is definitely weakened from the Windows version, and boy, I miss Windows Media Player, the real version. I seriously hate wrestling the whole music thing on the Mac.

I drive a Windows machine all day at work, plus at home on the work laptop when I have to, and a lot of the user experience is just annoying beyond belief.

--OK, I would like to have a numeric keypad over to the right. :D
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:44 am

bayview wrote:But I've seen multiple Windows laptops failures in my extended family, and my MacBook Pro 15 is going strong, 4+ years later.
I agree that on balance MacBooks are probably built more robustly than the average windows machine. Even though most of the price premium for a MacBook goes toward apple's incredibly high margins and profit, some of it does get spent on better components.

However, when interpreting reliability stats from personal experience, keep in mind that you should expect to see ten windows laptop failures for every one macbook failure, just based on market share alone.

Jim

eharri3

Post by eharri3 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 am

ieee488 wrote:
I have a 5-year old Dell Precision laptop that I bought *used* that is still going strong.
I seriously don't understand what people are doing to damage their Windows PCs.
After about 3 years my Dell Inspiron developed some sort of problem related to the charger. It stopped recognizing it, and would not hold a charge anymore. It went down to zero battery life and would only operate with the charger plugged in. Had to make sure the stupid thing was on a stable surface, as if it were jostled or bumped in anyway the charger would move around too much and it would shut down.So much for using my laptop in bed, in the car, or on my couch. You know, all the places you are thinking of using it when you buy a laptop. I researched it extensively and found it is a common problem for that line with numerous causes related to software issues and faulty soldering inside of it. I tried re-installing the related software and also replacing it with another factory charger and always ended up with the same problem. After all this I did not value the thing enough to want to pay somebody to fix it. The last time I jostled it and the charger came out, it crashed and would not start again. I set it to the side and brought my Mac and never looked back.

My HP desktop seems fine now, mainly because I only use it for the small number of financial files and other stuff I still have saved on it. I really only jump on it once or twice per month to run anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff and once per year to do my taxes. It and the desktop I had before it (think that was HP too) have had numerous viruses and software problems. It has had numerous glitches that required either system restore or else caused me to have to spend whole afternoons on the phone with tech support or on google finding the appropriate step by step fix. Had to re-install windows due to the stupid black screen of death. Also had one infuriating little virus a number of years back where it would shut down automatically every 45 seconds, meaning I had to first research a way to temporarily stop it from shutting down on me so I could keep it running long enough to find the appropriate fix. Even when my machines were operating normally, windows-based machines always get all kinds of stupid minor glitches that I have no clue WTF they mean. Wierd, indecipherable error messaes at random times, and there was also the desk top that started refusing to shut down properly from the startup menu. You get the latest patches and fixes and then new problems come up to take their place.

I guess many of these problems were software related, though a few were the computer itself, like with the laptop. In the end I really could care less. I just got sick of having the Microsoft guy tell me it was a hardware problem, and the HP or Dell guy tell me it was a software problem. Now me and the wife surf the internet and do pretty much everything problem free on the Macbook Pro and the IPAD. Cannot remember the last time I called computer tech support for anything. Once per month I long onto the HP to run anti-virus stuff. Once per year I do my taxes on it because it's just easier to spread the paperwork out in front of me on the desk and work from a bunch of different windows at once. But we are transitioning to an all MAC household because we prefer machines that do what they're supposed to every time you turn them on and don't consume excessive amounts of our free time and money with repairs and maintenance. I am done with wasting my evenings and weekends trouble-shooting with the Indian tech support guy who's just gonna go down the same checklist every time. My Apple stuff has given me this so I consider all of it worth every penny. If I add up all the hours I used to spend fixing my computers and multiply it by a decent hourly rate my MACS have probably paid for themselves and then some already.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:10 am

So the credit card company wants the original manufacturer's warranty for my laptop...any ideas on where I could find that?! I'm pretty good about keeping paperwork, but can't find this for some reason... Any place to find it online?

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am

nirvines88 wrote:So the credit card company wants the original manufacturer's warranty for my laptop...any ideas on where I could find that?! I'm pretty good about keeping paperwork, but can't find this for some reason... Any place to find it online?
Get the exact model number of the laptop, and then email manufacturer for a warranty. Mention that you have misplaced it. I am pretty sure a combination of that and the sales receipt should suffice.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 am

Sorry about death of your laptop. Next time buy from Costco. Not the cheapest but best service. My laptops battery pack died after 2years and one month. They replaced battery pack no charge. I do not work for Costco and I thank god for it. :P

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:57 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
nirvines88 wrote:So the credit card company wants the original manufacturer's warranty for my laptop...any ideas on where I could find that?! I'm pretty good about keeping paperwork, but can't find this for some reason... Any place to find it online?
Get the exact model number of the laptop, and then email manufacturer for a warranty. Mention that you have misplaced it. I am pretty sure a combination of that and the sales receipt should suffice.
Tried this today...hopefully they will give it to me! I have everything they require for an extended warranty claim except for two items. I still need the manufacturer's warranty and an itemized estimate. Any ideas on where to get the manufacturer's warranty online? Or where to get a cheap itemized estimate? Would hate to pay $50 for an estimate only to have the extended warranty claim fail.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 am

^^^ Check the user's manual; warranty information is usually included.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ Check the user's manual; warranty information is usually included.
My user guide is apparently ON the computer :oops:

Wonder if there's any other way I can get the manufacturer's warranty. I only have 6 more days to get all this stuff in before the extended warranty claim period closes!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I assumed you've tried google? The trick is getting the keywords right. Try "(laptop brand) (model) manual users guide warranty" - insert the brand and model.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:31 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I assumed you've tried google? The trick is getting the keywords right. Try "(laptop brand) (model) manual users guide warranty" - insert the brand and model.

I did some pretty extensive Googling a couple of weeks back. I just tried "Compaq cq62 manual users guide warranty" and it pulled up the user's manual, but didn't see any mention or details about the warranty. It's a 130 page document but there's no mention of "warranty" in the table of contents or index. User's manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641795.pdf

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:37 pm

May have found one from this website: http://www.manualslib.com/download/4346 ... ok-Pc.html or pdf: http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/44/4347 ... 37075e3651

!!!

The only thing I'm wondering about is this warranty link doesn't specifically say my model type or number anywhere. Would Compaq/HP just use a generic manufacturer's warranty form and use it with lots of different types of laptops?

EDIT: Thanks for the Googling technique tips! Somehow that yielded the only result with relevant information. HP has a truly byzantine system of paying for documents and information.

patrick

Post by patrick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm

nirvines88 wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:^^^ Check the user's manual; warranty information is usually included.
My user guide is apparently ON the computer :oops:

Wonder if there's any other way I can get the manufacturer's warranty. I only have 6 more days to get all this stuff in before the extended warranty claim period closes!
It should be possible to remove the hard disk from the laptop and connect it to another computer in order to access the files. If the laptop is only 2.5 years old it probably uses SATA for the hard disk which uses the exact same connector for laptops as on desktops and so can be connected with little trouble.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:26 pm

nirvines88 wrote:The only thing I'm wondering about is this warranty link doesn't specifically say my model type or number anywhere. Would Compaq/HP just use a generic manufacturer's warranty form and use it with lots of different types of laptops?
Absolutely. Take a look at other electronics, like cameras or stereo equipment. Remember who is looking at the documentation.

You have a valid warranty (the generic page) whose page title "Compaq/HP" matches the name of the laptop. The warranty describes a laptop computer. Done.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
nirvines88 wrote:The only thing I'm wondering about is this warranty link doesn't specifically say my model type or number anywhere. Would Compaq/HP just use a generic manufacturer's warranty form and use it with lots of different types of laptops?
Absolutely. Take a look at other electronics, like cameras or stereo equipment. Remember who is looking at the documentation.

You have a valid warranty (the generic page) whose page title "Compaq/HP" matches the name of the laptop. The warranty describes a laptop computer. Done.
Excellent. Many thanks!

Now on to the itemized repair estimate...will have to make a few phone calls to local tech places in the next few days. Best Buy's Geek Squad has already told me a verbal estimate but will supposedly not give me an itemized estimate per the customer service lady. Hopefully other places will offer the service and offer it at a relatively low price!

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 am

FYI I received a check from Discover for about half the laptop's initial value (~$170). This was the estimated cost of the piece that was at fault. However, the tech guys told me that even if this part is replaced, it may not be a cure all because other parts are likely messed up as well. I will be depositing the cash in my bank account rather than replacing the piece, as I have already replaced my Compaq/HP laptop with an ASUS laptop.

I wish I could have been refunded the whole amount but I'll take what I can get. I guess the $200 that won't be recovered isn't too bad of a price to pay if I look at it as paying $200 to "rent" the laptop for 2.5 years before its premature death. Next step: Letter to Compaq/HP!

Thanks for all the help Bogleheads!

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 am

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Best wishes that the new laptop works great for years to come!