POLL: How much do you like your job?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How much do you like your job?

I love it
25%
I like it somewhat
32%
I dislike it somewhat
19%
I hate it
10%
I'm not working
14%

Total votes: 222

EternalOptimist

POLL: How much do you like your job?

Post by EternalOptimist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 am

How much do you like your job?
"When nothing goes right....go left"

The Wizard

Re: POLL: How much do you like your job?

Post by The Wizard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:16 am

I liked it fairly well back when I was in the working class.
But in recent years, I was slacking a bit and focusing more on non-work interests.
So I quit (retired) and it would seem I did the right thing...
Attempted new signature...

fcox85

Post by fcox85 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:20 am

I'm an associate at a corporate/civil defense law firm. I like the people I work for/with, and I like my salary. I have days where certain cases/projects really pique my interest. However, the majority of the days I would rather be doing something else. If I woke up financially set tomorrow, I would go work in a golf shop for the next 50 years and enjoy my life.

I'm only 28, so I guess I should really consider my options, no?

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 am

I love it. I'm retiring at the end of the year, so it's kind of like going out on top.
Gordon

jf89

Post by jf89 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:26 am

Structural engineer and I love my job... unfortunately I'm trying to leave it. I've got to move back closer to my hometown (Northern DE/Philadelphia), but loving your current work really makes job hunting that much harder.
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)

maroon

Post by maroon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:27 am

I think there should be another choice such as "I like it a lot." I don't absolutely love my job - wouldn't do it for free - but I like it more than somewhat. It's a pretty darn good job.
Last edited by maroon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:27 am

I was cheated by my employer about 25 years ago (to the tune of 35k+).

I left and most the clients followed me. I've had my own business ever since.

Those clients (some of whom are still my client) have given me business worth 10x what
he owed me (plus, of course, I have new clients).

I love having my own business.

Tyr0ne

Post by Tyr0ne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am

I love it! I work on the operations side of wealth management, so I'm lucky enough to be able to justify lurking the forum randomly throughout the day
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am

I absolutely love my job. I work in professional services - client serving/advisory. It's not for everyone, but I love it.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 am

I'm retired.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am

I wouldn't be with my employer if I weren't getting paid to do so.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 am

I enjoy the the work I do quite a bit. However my employer has no business sense and is grinding the company he owns into the dust.

So overall I hope he hurries up with this so I can leave with unemployment.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Random Poster wrote:I wouldn't be with my employer if I weren't getting paid to do so.
This sums up my situation. Don't like my employer except the money I get. Like my work and love my patients.

Guess can't be 3 times lucky.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

42 years worth.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 pm

I love my job but not as much as Eternal Optimist loves polls. :D

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm

mlipps wrote:I love my job but not as much as Eternal Optimist loves polls. :D
Good observation, spent my entire career (40+ years) in marketing research.....guess I'm just a curious guy :shock:

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I like my job. I don't dread Mondays like many people do. It helps that it's generally low-stress and offers a great work-life balance.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:I like my job. I don't dread Mondays like many people do. It helps that it's generally low-stress and offers a great work-life balance.
+1.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm

maroon wrote:I think there should be another choice such as "I like it a lot." I don't absolutely love my job - wouldn't do it for free - but I like it more than somewhat. It's a pretty darn good job.
+1
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:58 pm

I "downsized" 2+ years ago from corporate job to non-profit sector. I'm still doing what I love - for a third the total comp but a lot less stress and way more flexibility... and we've "hit our number" so this is all gravy.

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm

I love my job. I'm self employed, work PT and and have no boss.

davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I think I'm very happy with my job at this stage in life. I get paid pretty well, great benefits, it's close to my house, I work with great people, I like what I do, and it's low-stress.

But I wouldn't say that I really love the job or anything. As far as working goes, it beats digging ditches. :D

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 pm

It's not that I don't like my job, it's that there are so many other things that I love doing. I certainly would prefer to work less. Not sure if I'd prefer not working at all at this stage in my life. It's hard to know how I'd deal with it psychologically, since it's kind of a path towards self-actualization that I'd have a hard time replicating if I didn't have the focus and drive that professional expectations and financial rewards engender.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I have a great job. I enjoy working with patients and get satisfaction when they recover from injuries/surgeries. It doesn't feel like a job to me. Although I wouldn't do it for free.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

corner559

Post by corner559 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I love my job. I worked in corporate America for many years and was miserable. I don't understand why anyone would spend 40 hours of their lives each week doing something they don't enjoy or aren't passionate about. I quit my job and moved into something I enjoy much more making 1/3 what I used to. I only wish I'd done it sooner. And yes, if I won the Powerball Lottery tomorrow, I'd still stay at my job and be happy to do it for free.
Last edited by corner559 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 pm

maroon wrote:I think there should be another choice such as "I like it a lot." I don't absolutely love my job - wouldn't do it for free - but I like it more than somewhat. It's a pretty darn good job.
My sentiments exactly.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:43 pm

I am not working - early retired. For many years I disliked my job somewhat ...until I disliked it very much.

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

I am now retired, but I spent 58 years working in the telephone industry and cannot think of a dozen days in those years that I did not look forward to going to work!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

I like my job pretty well. Overall it's probably the best one I've had. Still, it's a job, which means spending my days doing what someone else wants me to do instead of what I want to do. I'd retire in a heartbeat if I was in a financial position to do so.

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
My sentiments exactly.
+1. When I think of "loving something" - I think of family, vacations, drinking beers with my buddies, personal hobbies.....anything BUT work. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, buut there are a million things I'd rather do than work. As my father loves to say "you don't hear of many people on their death bed saying they wished they worked more".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D11e424M_Q

tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I also agree that there should be a "I like it a lot" option. I really enjoy my work, and I like my current company most of the time. That said, if money weren't an issue, I would probably do something lower stress and less time consuming.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD

EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am

BTW, I'm retired....quit my job 2 years ago that I hated, much happier now :happy

og15F1

Post by og15F1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Well if I like it somewhat that has to mean I also dislike it somewhat

I voted for like it somewhat because I try to be somewhat of an optimist

There are things I like and definitely things I don't like

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 pm

TRC wrote:
+1. When I think of "loving something" - I think of family, vacations, drinking beers with my buddies, personal hobbies.....anything BUT work. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, buut there are a million things I'd rather do than work. As my father loves to say "you don't hear of many people on their death bed saying they wished they worked more".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D11e424M_Q
I think that's almost always true, and yet, it still makes me think. For me, like a lot of people, work is a part of your identity and self-worth. Now that I (and my fiance) have reasonably well-paying, reasonably work-life balanced jobs, we could probably stay at about this level in our careers until until a slightly early retirement with fair pensions and good savings. It's interesting work, so it might even be reasonably fulfilling. But my heart still says to work more and harder and move up, even though it wouldn't add much to my life besides a little more stress and a little more accomplishment. (Possibly a slightly earlier retirement due to higher salary, but at my current job, wage hikes are not commensurate with stress levels. Staff level folks like arguably have it the best.) I'm not sure if that's a healthy outlook or not, to be honest.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 pm

chaz wrote:I'm retired.
I love YOUR job

janelane

Post by janelane » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Love my job. Then again, my job is inherently creative, and I work at a start up.

surfhb

Post by surfhb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm a QC Engineer for one of the major film studios. I basically watch movies and TV shows for a living....I like my Job :)

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 pm

In between "love it" and "like it a lot." I'm a lawyer that mainly does employment and higher education law, as well as litigation. I'd rather have more time off and be able to walk to work, but when my wish list is that short I realize that I'm a pretty lucky guy.

LiketoHike

Post by LiketoHike » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:04 pm

I love what I do...I just don't love who I do it for (as of late).

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Sigh ... maybe I'm jaded, or spoiled, but I love my business in theory, and everyone tells me I have the ultimate dream job, and I know I'm lucky to have work in this economy at all, but in practice, I picked the second option (liking it somewhat).

It isn't growing at the moment despite a lot of things I'm trying - just kind of plugging along a plateau. It's fine, and sustains me well monetarily, and I've already cashed out some nest egg material selling other related sub-businesses, but ... these days, it's hard to focus. I'm restless. Want to try something new. And I work mostly on the computer, too little human contact for this extrovert!
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 pm

I like my job but mainly because it is a EMEA company. They also eliminated my office 4 years ago and since been working 100% from home. I do dread the early AM meetings but once it is past 11am, it's really quiet. I don't live for my work, my work is here so I can do the things I love which is spending time with my family.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

wshang

Post by wshang » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I think this poll could be improved by asking the stage of career of the respondents. If you asked me twenty years ago, I would have been more enthusiastic, as I suspect many of the happy ones might be. Personally, ever since I had more than enough to retire, I've been gradually cutting back, taking longer stretches of time off and decreasing the work week. After a year of tapering work to now one day a week, I find that I enjoy my days off much more and don't even look forward to that single day of work. I'll keep a flexible consulting job with two universities, which I enjoy immensely, but is it largely because of the novelty, changing nature and flexibility.

Incidentally, at this point in my life, my financial knowledge and time spent studying investing, tax strategies, etc pay off more monetarily than actually working. This is the most liberating and satisfying aspect of achieving "the number."