deciding whether to buy a Trek FX 7.2 hybrid bicycle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
westcoast

deciding whether to buy a Trek FX 7.2 hybrid bicycle

Post by westcoast » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:44 pm

My bicycle riding experience consists of riding a Fugi mountain bike to work most days when the weather permitted. This was about a ten mile round trip. I enjoyed the ride and it helped me keep the weight down. I fully retired over two years ago and stopped riding and gave my bike to my son in law. I would like to get back into biking and have been looking at several bikes. Now I would use the bike for commutes to the park and ride on the paved trails. That would be a ride of about 10/15 miles and includes riding in the park and there are several large hills enroute to the park. I may also do some distance riding of no more than 50 miles once in awhile, but I don't anticipate much of it. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists which limit the handlebars on the bike, can't use the low bars as on a road bike. I have test ridden a Trek FX 7.2 and found it a comfortable bike and rode the hills and level paved roads very well. It lists at the store for $549.00 which is right at my price point. I also looked at a Marin cs2.

Questions are can anyone recommend a different brand of bike that may be more comfortable and fit my needs. And does anyone else have a Trek FX and what do you think of it as meeting your needs, comfort and reliability.

Thank you

Ed

Tycoon

Re: deciding whether to buy a Trek FX 7.2 hybrid bicycle

Post by Tycoon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:00 pm

My daughter rides a Trek FX 7.5. It's a very good bike, but it wouldn't survive very long off paved road. I have a Trek 7100 hybrid that I ride when I want to ride leisurely. They are both good bikes but neither would survive long riding on dirt trails.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I recently looked at some bikes and they were very impressive. I believe it was the Prodeco line:

http://sdelectricbike.com/PRODECO_and_Ebikes.html

I would probably want a folding bike for ease of transport.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Folding bikes: www.bikefriday.com

Perhaps the OP would want a recumbent bike because of the hand issue going forward?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:28 pm

westcoast wrote:My bicycle riding experience consists of riding a Fugi mountain bike to work most days when the weather permitted. This was about a ten mile round trip. I enjoyed the ride and it helped me keep the weight down. I fully retired over two years ago and stopped riding and gave my bike to my son in law. I would like to get back into biking and have been looking at several bikes. Now I would use the bike for commutes to the park and ride on the paved trails. That would be a ride of about 10/15 miles and includes riding in the park and there are several large hills enroute to the park. I may also do some distance riding of no more than 50 miles once in awhile, but I don't anticipate much of it. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists which limit the handlebars on the bike, can't use the low bars as on a road bike. ...
Ed
Just a comment on the handlebars comfortable for your wrists. I hurt my shoulder and wrist in a tumble from my bike several years ago and any weight on the handlebars was painful. The bike shop somehow reset the handlebars so that I was putting very little weight on them and not only did that work for me but when the arm healed, I kept the handlebars as is. So even if you find the bike that's right for you, remember the shop can reset the bars if they are uncomfortable to begin with.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:52 pm

westcoast wrote: Questions are can anyone recommend a different brand of bike that may be more comfortable and fit my needs. And does anyone else have a Trek FX and what do you think of it as meeting your needs, comfort and reliability.

Thank you

Ed
I have about 3500 miles on my Fuji Crosstowne and like it. It is my cheapest bike and I ride it the most. My Trek full suspension MB is idle after discovering 29ers. You can buy tires for your hybrid to meet the type of surface that you will be riding most of the time. Varying size and compound will give you plenty of flexibility.
Most bikes in your price range are going to be Chinese frames with Shimano equipment. Almost all of them are going to be a solid performer for the type of riding that you want to do. The differences in geometry are unlikely to be important for your purposes.
There are too many bikes choices and everyone has a preference, if you have ridden the Trek and like it then my suggestion would be to focus on the source to purchase it from. If there is a bike shop that will put the time into setting it up properly for you as part of purchase (it is called bike fitting, ask if they offer it as part of purchase), it will add great value to your experience. One of the bike shops near me offers fitting and free tune ups for life. I bought my Fuji for more than I could have on the net but have received many times in value.
Getting a bike fit and then having it tuned once a year for free will make your initial purchase price and the difference between $500 bikes relatively unimportant.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 am

Ed, I can't speak to the FX 7.2 but I've had a FX 7.5 for almost 3 years. Over all it's been a good bke. I just had to replace a shifter cable but otherwise it's been very reliable. My previous bike was a Trek hybrid at about 1/2 the cost of the 7.5. I upgraded to get the better Shimano components. The carbon fork on this bike makes it fair stiff and readily transmits road bumps to the rider. Like you, I only ride to help control weight and stay in shape. I ride ~ 75 - 120 mi/wk weather permitting. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and still experience numb fingers after about 20 mins. of riding even though this bike has straight handle bars. I can't imagine riding this bike on anything other than pavement.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 am

In the do-it-yourself spirit we bogleheads take regarding our finances, can I suggest a more DIY approach to biking? Surf Craigslist and buy a used, perhaps well used bike, and fix it up/maintain it. You'll save lots of $ that way, and bicycle maintenance is a skill almost anyone can pick up. Adding a Shimano gear set and new brakes to a $50 used vintage bike will be a lot cheaper than the $550 brand new bike from the Trek dealer. And when something breaks on the bike, you'll feel more comfortable fixing it your self, rather than spending $50-100 taking it to a repair shop.

Same concept as auto maintenance, but bike maintenance is MUCH simpler and easier to self-teach.

In full disclosure, I bought a brand new Trek hybrid several years ago for commuting. While I like the bike (Trek really does make great bikes), I wish I had gone the DIY route.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:55 pm

I purchased a Trek PDX a few years ago and love it. It looks like it is very similar to the bike you are considering. I would recommend adding bar ends so you can vary your hand/wrist position.

http://www.trekbikes.com/powerreviews/p ... 0-PDX.html

Topic Author
westcoast

Post by westcoast » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:18 am

Thank you all for the replies and recommendations. I am going with the Trek FX 7.2 and am going to add bar ends to it.

Ed