Tipping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
3wood

Tipping

Post by 3wood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm

How many 'big' tippers out there? I was just thinking about my day today and realized I gave away $40 today. It was a day off and I happened to eat out for breakfast and lunch AND my son got a hair cut AND the poolguy worked on my pool for an hour. Each time I tipped healthily. I think it goes back to my days of working for tips. Granted this was not a typical day but I started to wonder how much I actually spend in a year on tips...

Blues

Re: Tipping

Post by Blues » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Frankly, it makes me feel good to not only reward good service but to try to make a small contribution to or difference in the day of those who may not necessarily be as fortunate as we are.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

All of them sounds justified except the pool guy. Unless he did something beyond what he you paid him to do, not sure why you would tip.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Unless the service is atrocious and is entirely the fault of the server, my usual minimum is 20%. For good service, I usually leave around 25 to 30%, and have had some occasions where I've left over 100%. Hair person always gets 33% because it works out to a nice round number.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I had a home inspector at the house today to help me get ready to sell. He spent over 4.5 hours with me going over every aspect of the house, answering every question, and likely saving me thousands of dollars in repairs by suggesting better approaches. He charged $225, I happily tipped him $50.

At breakfast the bill was $11.25. I left $3. Anything less seems kinda cheap plus my coffee was always full and the waitress was cheerful.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:44 pm

I usually tip wait staff 20% or more unless they ignored me or were rude, which is rare.

But my frugal side doesn't let me eat in restaurants with wait staff very often.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm

stan1 wrote:I had a home inspector at the house today to help me get ready to sell. He spent over 4.5 hours with me going over every aspect of the house, answering every question, and likely saving me thousands of dollars in repairs by suggesting better approaches. He charged $225, I happily tipped him $50.
See, this is why I don't like tipping, because it never would have occurred to me that this, like the pool guy, was an occupation where tipping was appropriate.

I wish tipping would be done away with and people paid better wages.

I tip 20% unless the service is terrible.

Jazzman

Post by Jazzman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 pm

The NEW ORLEANS SAINTS QB (DREW BREES) gave a $3.00 tip on a $75.00 TAKE OUT ORDER. He's is being blasted on ESPN. By the way, it is well known that Peyton Manning (QB) is a huge tipper. I give 20% as a rule.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 am

I am not the biggest tipper but not the chintziest either...although earlier this week, I didn't give a tip to the BMW dealership shuttle driver who shuttled my wife and I back to the house after dropping off our car at the dealership for service. I asked my wife (before we got off the shuttle) if I should tip and she didn't tip the last time she took the shuttle, so I didn't either.

What is the protocol for this? Should I have given a tip? If so, how much? We live about 25 miles away from the dealership.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:32 am

I recently posted an ad on kijiji to find a cheaper hairdresser. Can you believe I found one that would do it for $8 w/o any tip?

I'm used to paying $22 for a haircut. I got a few emails from that calling me a cheap a**.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 am

Jazzman wrote:The NEW ORLEANS SAINTS QB (DREW BREES) gave a $3.00 tip on a $75.00 TAKE OUT ORDER. He's is being blasted on ESPN.
I never tip for takeout.

Brian

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 am

stan1 wrote:I had a home inspector at the house today to help me get ready to sell. He spent over 4.5 hours with me going over every aspect of the house, answering every question, and likely saving me thousands of dollars in repairs by suggesting better approaches. He charged $225, I happily tipped him $50.
I would not have tipped in this situation.

Brian

BestWishes

Post by BestWishes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:32 am

I never know who to tip and who not to tip. I always tip 20-30% at restaurants (not take out), hair lady, shuttle driver. I wouldn't have thought of tipping house inspector and pool guy. I also wish that tipping would be done away with and people are paid better wages since I often feel awkward about whether I should tip or not.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 am

I tip between 0-12%, never more in restaurants. About 20% for a haircut since my haircuts are about $12. Anything more is insane. I despise tipping. Tipping someone more money to carry your $50 steak at Ruth Chris takes the same amount of effort as a $7 stack of pancakes at IHOP. And yes, I've worked in the food service industry before. And yes, I rarely eat out in the US. I mainly stay out of the US these days where tipping is non-existent, thankfully. What you see on your bill is what you pay inclusive of all taxes also. WYSIWYP (What You See Is What You Pay).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:38 am

frugaltype wrote:
See, this is why I don't like tipping, because it never would have occurred to me that this, like the pool guy, was an occupation where tipping was appropriate.

+1. The U.S. is the only country (I know of) where tipping is even a consideration. What is even more odd is that it isn't standard across the board, in some states (ie. California) wait staff are required to be paid at least minimum wage so they do not "survive" off tips. I do tip, but I find it a ridiculous social contract; why should consumers be essentially forced to pay someone extra for doing their job correctly? And why should it be based upon the price of the meal, does someone filling $50 of soft drinks at a table work harder than another who is refilling water? I would much prefer they just be paid a decent standard wage and that it be built into the price just like it is done in the entire rest of the world. Here is a pretty interesting thread on another board about the topic http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P4678829/.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:45 am

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:58 am

YttriumNitrate wrote:
BestWishes wrote: I also wish that tipping would be done away with and people are paid better wages since I often feel awkward about whether I should tip or not.
Things would be simpler if there was no tipping, however the counter to that is that restaurant service in countries where there is tipping seems to be better than countries that lack it...At least based on my experiences, and of course there are many MANY exceptions.
What other countries is tipping a standard in? None that I have ever visited and I certainly could not tell the difference in service.

3wood

Post by 3wood » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 am

harrychan wrote:All of them sounds justified except the pool guy. Unless he did something beyond what he you paid him to do, not sure why you would tip.
I feel the urge to tip most people who provide a service who do not own the company they are working in. I recently had landscaping done and the same 2 guys were working all week in the terrible heat wave we had in the northeast a couple of weeks ago. I gave them $80 each. Owner came by to collect his fee and not a penny more.

bUU

Post by bUU » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:19 am

stoptothink wrote:What other countries is tipping a standard in?
It's call baksheesh in Egypt.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:48 am

I don't understand tipping on takeout either. What service are you tipping for, the host to bring the bag of food to you?

frugaltype

Post by frugaltype » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:15 am

bUU wrote:
Baksheesh includes tipping, giving alms to the poor, and bribery.

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:18 am

Van-Guard23 wrote:I am not the biggest tipper but not the chintziest either...although earlier this week, I didn't give a tip to the BMW dealership shuttle driver who shuttled my wife and I back to the house after dropping off our car at the dealership for service. I asked my wife (before we got off the shuttle) if I should tip and she didn't tip the last time she took the shuttle, so I didn't either.

What is the protocol for this? Should I have given a tip? If so, how much? We live about 25 miles away from the dealership.
I never tipped the shuttle driver and got the same one a couple time. She did not look like she expected a tip and I tend to be one of the later ones to be dropped off and did not see anybody tipping yet.

I come from a country where tipping is less common (Germany, low tips, e.g. 48 you would round up to 50) and travel a lot to Asia (e.g. no tipping in Japan or China). I didn't see worse service in those countries but I do notice more wait staff in the US (which can make the service better) because it is not a high cost to the restaurant. I tip around 20% give or take a couple percent. I also agree with one of the previous posters that tipping based on bill is a bit screwy, if you drink wine vs just water the tip can double or triple for essentially only a little bit more work.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 am

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 am

About 8 of my clients are restaurants (all but one moderately priced) and I see what the minimum wages for wait staff is (about $5 per hour). Tips comprise anywhere from 75% to 90+% (in the higher priced restaurant).

I always tip unless the service is terrible. For high end I will tip 15-18% on food and somewhat less for drinks. For some of the lower end greasy spoons, I will tip 30%+. One place I go had breakfast, until a recent rent increase for $3.99 (without breakfast meat). That includes coffee, eggs, bagel, and OJ. I will usually leave $5 even though it is ordered from the counter then brought to my table.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 am

I've never quite understood compulsory tipping. I can see it in the food industry where waiters make most of their earnings from tips but, in other occupations where the customer pays a fair price for service I don't see where tipping is applicable.

Everyone is paid to do a good job, usually through a salary commensurate with their skills and abilities. If they are self employed they price their services on what the market will bear. If one does not get the expected services from either of these classes they just don't come back. They find someone who will do a good job for a fair price.

If someone wants to tip, and it makes them feel better, then fine. But it seems those practices have created an atmosphere in business that makes workers expect those tips to be just part of doing business, and if the tip is not paid, the consumer has not really paid a fair price for the services rendered.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:28 am

glock19 wrote:I've never quite understood compulsory tipping. I can see it in the food industry where waiters make most of their earnings from tips but, in other occupations where the customer pays a fair price for service I don't see where tipping is applicable.

Everyone is paid to do a good job, usually through a salary commensurate with their skills and abilities. If they are self employed they price their services on what the market will bear. If one does not get the expected services from either of these classes they just don't come back. They find someone who will do a good job for a fair price.

If someone wants to tip, and it makes them feel better, then fine. But it seems those practices have created an atmosphere in business that makes workers expect those tips to be just part of doing business, and if the tip is not paid, the consumer has not really paid a fair price for the services rendered.
A big +1 for that. Nice summation.

bUU

Post by bUU » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:42 am

frugaltype wrote:
bUU wrote:
Baksheesh includes tipping, giving alms to the poor, and bribery.
And sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. :)

bUU

Post by bUU » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 am

glock19 wrote:I've never quite understood compulsory tipping.
I think it is important to keep this in mind as you go about interacting with services for which tipping is expected while discretionary.
glock19 wrote:I can see it in the food industry where waiters make most of their earnings from tips but, in other occupations where the customer pays a fair price for service I don't see where tipping is applicable.
What defines that is a "fair" price? I think you are confusing a "fair" price with the "market" price. There is a danger to projecting that disparity back through to those providing the service being paid for, a danger that unfortunately goes beyond the scope of the Bogleheads forums, as a matter of board policy.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 am

YttriumNitrate wrote:
BestWishes wrote: I also wish that tipping would be done away with and people are paid better wages since I often feel awkward about whether I should tip or not.
Things would be simpler if there was no tipping, however the counter to that is that restaurant service in countries where there is tipping seems to be better than countries that lack it...At least based on my experiences, and of course there are many MANY exceptions.
I don't know about this . . . I've been living and traveling abroad for several years now. As noted previously, most other countries do not tip -- or rather, they do not tip to the same degree as we do in the U.S. Yet I have never noticed a strong difference in the quality of service received. If anything, the quality of service received while abroad has often been better than that received in the U.S. While abroad I usually "round up" and leave the change on the table. It typically equates to a "tip" of 2-5%.

I, too, abhor the practice of compulsory tipping. While back in the US I usually give no more than 15% -- less for subpar service. Not because I care to reward the wait staff for bringing me my food (that's what their salary should cover), but rather because tipping has become so ingrained in our culture that NOT tipping is considered extremely rude and distasteful.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 am

Jazzman wrote:The NEW ORLEANS SAINTS QB (DREW BREES) gave a $3.00 tip on a $75.00 TAKE OUT ORDER. He's is being blasted on ESPN. By the way, it is well known that Peyton Manning (QB) is a huge tipper. I give 20% as a rule.
People tip for take-out orders you pick up yourself?
Wow, whoda thunk?
Attempted new signature...

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 am

stoptothink wrote:
frugaltype wrote:

+1. The U.S. is the only country (I know of) where tipping is even a consideration. What is even more odd is that it isn't standard across the board, in some states (ie. California) wait staff are required to be paid at least minimum wage so they do not "survive" off tips. I do tip, but I find it a ridiculous social contract; why should consumers be essentially forced to pay someone extra for doing their job correctly? And why should it be based upon the price of the meal, does someone filling $50 of soft drinks at a table work harder than another who is refilling water? I would much prefer they just be paid a decent standard wage and that it be built into the price just like it is done in the entire rest of the world. Here is a pretty interesting thread on another board about the topic http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... _P4678829/.
Tipping is certainly expected in Canada - London cabbies expect a tip too. Germans round off to the nearest round number, etc.

Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 am

Niko wrote: I don't know about this . . . I've been living and traveling abroad for several years now. As noted previously, most other countries do not tip -- or rather, they do not tip to the same degree as we do in the U.S. Yet I have never noticed a strong difference in the quality of service received. If anything, the quality of service received while abroad has often been better than that received in the U.S. While abroad I usually "round up" and leave the change on the table. It typically equates to a "tip" of 2-5%.

I, too, abhor the practice of compulsory tipping. While back in the US I usually give no more than 15% -- less for subpar service. Not because I care to reward the wait staff for bringing me my food (that's what their salary should cover), but rather because tipping has become so ingrained in our culture that NOT tipping is considered extremely rude and distasteful.
+1. You and I must be related.

Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 am

YttriumNitrate wrote:
Interesting. My experience is the opposite (unless quality of service is measured in fake friendliness using pre-fabricated phrases from the employee handbook). I find the service in asian countries (no tipping) vastly superior to that in the US.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 am

Niko wrote:I, too, abhor the practice of compulsory tipping. While back in the US I usually give no more than 15% -- less for subpar service. Not because I care to reward the wait staff for bringing me my food (that's what their salary should cover), but rather because tipping has become so ingrained in our culture that NOT tipping is considered extremely rude and distasteful.
Except their salary doesn't cover it, right? At 15% in a nice restaurant, the other customers are definitely picking up the slack.

If I could snap my fingers and eliminate all tipping, I would. However, if it that happened I wouldn't expect the cost of anything to change, just that I'd see it on the bill.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:10 am

SPG8 wrote:
Except their salary doesn't cover it, right? At 15% in a nice restaurant, the other customers are definitely picking up the slack.
Correct, but where do we draw the line? At one point in our country's history, tipping was not customary. Then it was customary -- at 10% -- but certainly not required. Then it was required. Then 15%. now it's 15-25%. I read an article the other day talking about how many restaurants in East Coast cities are publishing "suggested gratuities" of 30%. Some day we will see suggested tipping of 40-50%. If some day the tipping custom is 40%, then the customer who gives only 30% will be frowned upon. It's not like the price of the food is getting cheaper over time -- it, too, is rising with inflation. This practice of historical tip creep is frustrating to say the least. Where do we draw the line?

Sorry, don't mean to make this an argument. I should also qualify this by noting that when I go back to the US, my "home" states are generally those with a true minimum wage -- eg not discounted for expected tips.

--just edited to fix the quote markers
Last edited by Niko on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:13 am

First, let me say that I usually tip around 15%. One of the arguments for tipping in restaurants is that servers are paid extremely low wages so if we don't tip them they can't make a decent wage. What is happening here is that the restaurant owners are placing this burden on the customers when it should be with the owners. What about clerks in grocery stores? Why are we expected to tip a waiter in a restaurant but not grocery clerks or employees at Walmart? I'm all for employees getting paid a decent wage, but I don't think tipping is the way to do it. How do we know who to tip and who not to tip? How do we know how much to tip? Should I give them 15% or 20% or 25%? Why should the customer have to worry about this? I would rather have the tip included in the price and let the owner of the establishment pay their employees a decent wage as is customary in most other countries. I know I'll get a lot of flak for saying this, but I think tipping is a flawed system. Having said this, I don't really expect anything to change, at least not anytime soon.
Slow and steady wins the race.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:34 am

Niko wrote:Where do we draw the line?
Fair point.

I guess you know the line when you see it.

If I hit the line, I always assumed I'd just stop participating.

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 am

I tip 20% on the bill amount before taxes. Basically tipping is a way for restaurant owners to subsidize employee salaries. If there was no tipping, I imagine food prices would go up so they could pay the staff a higher salary and still make the same in profits.

Typically tip 20-25% for haircuts. Cab drivers I usually tip a few dollars, maybe 10% on average. I like to tip live musicians at restaurants, usually leave $5. Not sure what other services I tip for, those are the ones that come to mind.

I also didn't tip the BMW shuttle driver last week. However, the time before that I did.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Niko wrote:I don't know about this . . . I've been living and traveling abroad for several years now. As noted previously, most other countries do not tip -- or rather, they do not tip to the same degree as we do in the U.S. Yet I have never noticed a strong difference in the quality of service received. If anything, the quality of service received while abroad has often been better than that received in the U.S. While abroad I usually "round up" and leave the change on the table. It typically equates to a "tip" of 2-5%.

Most servers in the US get paid less than $2.50 an hour. They are dependent on tips for income, which I think many foreigners and old people who leave nickles and quarters on a bill of $50 are either unaware of or are too cheap to pay. We are not like other developed countries that pay restaurant workers a decent wage they can survive on.
cheesepep wrote:I tip between 0-12%, never more in restaurants. About 20% for a haircut since my haircuts are about $12. Anything more is insane. I despise tipping. Tipping someone more money to carry your $50 steak at Ruth Chris takes the same amount of effort as a $7 stack of pancakes at IHOP. And yes, I've worked in the food service industry before. And yes, I rarely eat out in the US. I mainly stay out of the US these days where tipping is non-existent, thankfully. What you see on your bill is what you pay inclusive of all taxes also. WYSIWYP (What You See Is What You Pay).
Did you work in the food industry in the United States or elsewhere? 0 to 12% for standard service in the US is absolutely atrocious and beyond cheap, especially if you have enough money to spend $50 on an overpriced slab of beef at a trendy restaurant.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Jazzman wrote:The NEW ORLEANS SAINTS QB (DREW BREES) gave a $3.00 tip on a $75.00 TAKE OUT ORDER. He's is being blasted on ESPN. By the way, it is well known that Peyton Manning (QB) is a huge tipper. I give 20% as a rule.

I saw that story on ESPN also. Must have been a slow sports-news day. My thoughts were that $3 tip for take out was generous. The ESPN guys fell all over themselves bashing Brees for being cheap. There is no winning. Brees should have one of his people pick up the chow next time and avoid the ambush.

I wonder if they recomend that Brees tip the supermarket checkout clerk? That assumes that he has time to do his own food shopping.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:41 pm

mickeyd wrote:Brees should have one of his people pick up the chow next time...
Correct.

Or if he has to go, throw them $200 on the $75, it will only help his bottom line. His income stream stems directly from public interest. Why not keep the animals at bay by throwing them a few bones?

If I was a successful entertainer/athlete, I'd be throwing down at least 100%, and making sure everybody saw it. Buy the love, may boost my advertising rate.
Last edited by SPG8 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:48 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Most servers in the US get paid less than $2.50 an hour. They are dependent on tips for income, which I think many foreigners and old people who leave nickles and quarters on a bill of $50 are either unaware of or are too cheap to pay. We are not like other developed countries that pay restaurant workers a decent wage they can survive on.

It is the restaurant owners who are cheap.
Last edited by Abe on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Abe wrote:It is the restaurant owners who are cheap.
The cost doesn't change, only who's handing servers the money, so what's the difference?

The servers actual compensation is a different conversation.

mur44

Post by mur44 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:09 pm

We are replacing our Central Air Conditioning system
next week. The team will be 5 to 6 skilled technicians.
All the work to be completed in one day or so.

Do we need to tip? If yes, how much?
(Total cost of replacement is $8,600)

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Most servers in the US get paid less than $2.50 an hour. They are dependent on tips for income[.]
And herein lies the root of the problem. At the risk of shifting this to a policy discussion, this is what needs to be addressed.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Abe wrote:]
Niko wrote: Most servers in the US get paid less than $2.50 an hour. They are dependent on tips for income, which I think many foreigners and old people who leave nickles and quarters on a bill of $50 are either unaware of or are too cheap to pay. We are not like other developed countries that pay restaurant workers a decent wage they can survive on.
It is the restaurant owners who are cheap.
Please edit your post -- the above quote is incorrectly attributed to me. I fully agree with your reply.

Niko

Post by Niko » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 pm

SPG8 wrote:
The cost doesn't change, only who's handing servers the money, so what's the difference?
The difference is that I, as the patron, am not and should not be responsible for the salary and wages of the employee. I do not supervise them. I do not know whether they showed up to work late, failed to wash their hands, prepared sloppy food, brought a negative attitude to work. I only see the server for 30 seconds when s/he takes my order and another 15 seconds when s/he brings my food. I am not in a proper position to evaluate their work and set a commensurate compensation.

Tip creep has been an attempt by the restaurant industry to shift a large portion of their fixed costs to the consumer while continuing to raise the price of food with inflation.

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:20 pm

SPG8 wrote:

It's not a matter of how much it cost. I would rather pay a higher price and let the owners pay their employees a decent wage. Restaurant owners are shifting the burden of paying their help on to their customers. The customer has to worry about how much to tip, how to calculate the tip, if they will look cheap, etc. When I go out to eat, I don't want to have to worry about all this. This should be the owners responsibility. Most other businesses pay their employees at least minimum wage.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Niko wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
Most servers in the US get paid less than $2.50 an hour. They are dependent on tips for income[.]
And herein lies the root of the problem. At the risk of shifting this to a policy discussion, this is what needs to be addressed.
I totally agree. But that is not the ecosystem we currently live in. Taking out your frustration with the system by shafting the lowest man/woman on the totem pole is not only ignorant and uncivilized; it will accomplish nothing other than making life even more difficult for the server.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Abe wrote:
SPG8 wrote:

It's not a matter of how much it cost. I would rather pay a higher price and let the owners pay their employees a decent wage. Restaurant owners are shifting the burden of paying their help on to their customers. The customer has to worry about how much to tip, how to calculate the tip, if they will look cheap, etc. When I go out to eat, I don't want to have to worry about all this. This should be the owners responsibility. Most other businesses pay their employees at least minimum wage.
This is how it should be, but it is not how it is. Again, the only people who feel the effects of people who are too cheap to leave a proper tip are the lowly servers who have no say in how the restaurant industry is run in this country.