Best Internet price?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Houston101

Best Internet price?

Post by Houston101 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I have been trying to find a cheaper internet service than the AT&T $29/month but haven't had any luck.

Can you guys please share any tips/ideas?

YttriumNitrate

Re: Best Internet price?

Post by YttriumNitrate » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Houston101

Post by Houston101 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

YttriumNitrate wrote:
Houston101 wrote:Can you guys please share any tips/ideas?
A wifi card with a good antenna near a neighbor with an unsecured router. :D

Seriously though, what speeds of internet are you looking for? I believe there are some cheap dial up services out there, but if you're looking for decent speed your options can be quite limited based on where you live.
5- 7GB per month. Limited options is what I am afraid of :(

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Wi Fi is free... Well, almost; the only cost is some time in getting to the nearest hot-spot. A good opportunity to got out of the cabin though. -- Tet

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Houston101 wrote:I have been trying to find a cheaper internet service than the AT&T $29/month but haven't had any luck.

At&t was my provider till last month.No lie every month they raised my bill after 2 year promotional period.It went from. $24 to $47 without one notice.I don't mind paying a agreed rate, but not raise without no notice and when you want attitude they gave me
John

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Johm221122 wrote:
Houston101 wrote:I have been trying to find a cheaper internet service than the AT&T $29/month but haven't had any luck.

At&t was my provider till last month.No lie every month they raised my bill after 2 year promotional period.It went from. $24 to $47 without one notice.I don't mind paying a agreed rate, but not raise without no notice and when you want attitude they gave me
John
Do you work for Verizon? I was going to add Verizon to the list of companies that will lie to you. All of the large telecoms need customer growth to continue dividend payments.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

g$$

Post by g$$ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 pm

If you live in San Francisco (which you probably don't, given the username) you should look up Monkeybrains. It's cheap, fast, and wireless.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 am

I have heard Clark Howard (radio show) talk about Freedom Pop several times. If you are a light user, they are a viable option if they service your area. You may also want to check out Howard's site for more information about this and other services he has talked about on the air.

Disclaimer - I have never had Freedom Pop service.

nitpar

Post by nitpar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 am

rustymutt wrote:
Johm221122 wrote:

John
Do you work for Verizon? I was going to add Verizon to the list of companies that will lie to you. All of the large telecoms need customer growth to continue dividend payments.

If your provider is AT&T U-Verse and they have raised price, call them at their retention dept @877-999-1083 and simply say you will move your service to another provider. Rep would promptly provide 50% off for next 12 months (caveat - if you cancel within 12 mths, you may have to pay cancellation fee). So if you are paying $46 for 6 mbps, it will $23. Or if you are paying $51 for 12 mbps, it will be $25.5. Good aspect is this is the final price, no tax and other charges. Phone services (cell, home phone etc) typically have 20-25% additional charges cluttered with words like Admin Fee, Telecom Relay Service Fund, Federal Universal Service Charge, Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge, State Sales Tax - Telecom, Federal Subscriber Line Charge etc.

Good luck

practice practice

Post by practice practice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 am

Try this site http://www.dslreports.com/search. I used it to find a small internet company to replace AT&T. They kept raising my rates too.